Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

I really like th efifth doctor recommendations.

The inclusion of Four To Doomsday was a bit of a headscratched, honestly. It's not particularly bad, but I'd have recommended something like Kinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

After The War posted:

Great, but that was Anthony Read's season, and he had nowhere to go but up from Underworld and Invasion of Time :snore:.

Shame he wrote one of those. :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I like the episode as well. My problem with The Next Doctor is that it's a wonderful concept, but horribly bungles the execution of the idea.

(...)

But then we get the villain of the episode and things start unbuckling at the seams. Here's this random nobleish woman, and she's sided with the Cybermen and wants to destroy London because.........because. We never really get a reason for this woman's motivation. She just is the villain because the story tells us (very weakly) and that's it. Even with the silly giant Cyberman stomping London, she just comes off as pointless. If the episode had stuck to focusing on the Ten/"Next Doctor" story, it would have been much better off. As it stands, The Next Doctor is, like numerous stories before it, a case of a good idea squandered by some bad execution.

I think you've missed the subtext going on with Miss Hartigan. She's not middle-class, she's a sex-worker, and I think the implication is that she was a fairly mistreated one. All of her characterisation stems from the idea that she was actually an incredibly intelligent woman who was unable to progress in life due to circumstances of her gender and class, and this is why she takes revenge on the members of the aristocracy. She has a great deal of motivation, really, it's just one of those cases where Modern Who isn't explicit about what it's talking about.

• Locked thread