Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I wish Big Finish would get the rights to NuWho so we can get some audio adventures from 10 & 11, hell even some audio adventures from Rose with Metacrisis would be fantastic. The amount of possibilities would be great especially with the War doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Gordon Shumway posted:

John Hurt's Doctor versus Derek Jacobi's Master.

Hell, I would take a whole audio adventure series just about the Time Lord's resurrection of the master during the Time War and his eventual use of the Chameleon Arch to become Professor Yana

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

I honestly wish there was a Doctor Who convention near my area, there's Gallifrey One but that's been sold out for months

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

I'm Positive Moffat wants NuWho to go to Big Finish as much as everyone else, hell he made Big Finish Canon with the Night of the Doctor, but it's the drat higher ups at the BBC that probably won't relinquish the rights. I really wish they would see that the Classic doctors brought a lot to the canon just by doing the audio dramas. As I said before, Big Finish is technically canon due to the mention of Big Finish companions by 8 in NOTD

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

I've seen the leaked scripts and all I can say is the opening to Deep Breath is absolutely fantastic

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

To be fair, even after reading the scripts, I would rather watch the episode. Something about reading doesn't really get a grasp on how the actor will portray the character

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Archyduke posted:

Skepticism is fine, but what bugs me about the other thread is that the scripts are right there for anyone reading to click on and yet people are still taking as gospel really warped summaries by people who haven't been happy with the series since, like, 2008. Like, of course, any plot point or little character beat will sound stupid if you go out of your way to make it sound stupid. You could ruin literally any episode of the series that way.

"Great, so he winds up... in the nazi version of the same-old boring UNIT. Yes, that's right. UNIT's back. Hurray. More loving Yates."

"Again, a potentially tense and interesting scene is nipped in the bud with a dumb gag about jelly babies. Who is this show even for? And Romana continues to be an obvious Douglas Adams self-insert. This season is like reading Dirk Gently fan fiction."

"Ugh, so all of a sudden the loving celery turns purple and sucks up poison. What can't the loving celery do."

"Yeah, so they go all through all this bullshit about preventing the daleks from coming into existence, and then for some reason, Baker just... doesn't do it? Typical Hinchcliffe, throwing plot logic out the window for a downer ending."

"lol, so Mary Susan is... telepathic now? And of course these sensorite people are just falling all over her."

Anything can sound atrocious when you sit down and front of it with the attitude of "right, let's figure out what's atrocious here," especially when you're willing to grossly distort context and tone. People in the other thread are interpreting throwaway gag lines as profoundly troubling revelations, and flattening fairly sweet, subdued sounding character development into tossed off sex jokes. It's baffling to me, especially considering that, like I said, anyone interested could just go back ONE page, download the scripts themselves and see how odd these readings are. Instead there seems to be a sort of race to see who can work up the most indignation about the new season the most before the premier.

I mean I don't really get it. If I disliked something that much, I certainly wouldn't read 500 pages of it, and I definitely wouldn't make it my weird mission to get other people to dislike it too.

you put into words better than what I was trying to say in the spoilers thread, I applaud you and appreciate it. :golfclap:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

CobiWann posted:

So, over the next few days, I’m taking submissions. Pictures of each Doctor, Hartnell through Capaldi, that I can put up on her wall to teach high school kids there were, and always will be, Doctors besides Tennant and Smith. I'll print out the best ones and you can rest knowing you've done your bit to educate American students, since obviously no one else will...

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Well I guess that means we need to use Night of the Doctor 8 then

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Someone recorded the series 8 intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak40rdemaQE

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Isn't that pretty much lifted from a fan-made intro, save for the eyes of Capaldi? Not that I'm complaining, it's pretty cool.

They got permission from the creator of that intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOBHnWiinY

to do this intro, he was listed in the credits of the leaked scripts a while ago as the inspiration for the intro, so I assume he allowed the BBC to use concepts from his intro

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

...So yeah. IT IS DONE. BEHOLD!!!

Missing the cat brooch

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Remembrance of the Daleks needs to be higher up on that list

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe? Top 10 is pretty much where I'd put it. I can't say I disagree with any of the ones above it, bar Talons if you can't look past the yellow peril stuff.

And heh, Sylvester is number 7 on the favourite Doctor list.

I guess I can see where you're coming from, but I also think the movie should be a bit higher up as well. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be and it's the introduction of my favorite doctor

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Anyone else going to see Deep Breath in Theaters on the 25th since their town wasn't selected for the Midnight showing or World Tour?

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Timby posted:

The Mirror is reporting that Jenna Coleman is leaving at Christmas.

Yet they don't have any source, they just say from a Source without stating it, grain of salt

Also Capaldi is signed on for Series 9
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldi-already-signed-for-series-9-65237.htm

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Guys I wouldn't believe the mirror article about Jenna leaving Doctor Who at all, They're not entirely a credible news source, so grain of salt

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

I would love to see Susan regenerate if they ever do decide to bring he back to the show

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

I'm still holding out that one day we'll see Richard E. Grant officially become the doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

I liked the episode

• Locked thread