Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Unironically voting for JNT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sometimes I wish I could talk about this Doctor Who show that's on tv right now, but every thread is constantly derailed with people going on about all this weird 60s and 70s stuff. :shrug:

And eighties :colbert:

And Noughties, a lot of the discussion that's been happening recently has been about RTD and the first four series of the revival - discussion that's been driven by Jerusalem's posts on his rewatch.

So I guess if you want to post about something post about it and people will discuss it with you :confused:

counterfeitsaint posted:

I only recognize a single name on that list, and I haven't decided yet if I want to vote for that name or null vote.

Two of the names on the list have been the producer of Doctor Who in the last 5 years

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

I thought Adams was season seventeen and Anthony Read did sixteen?

Correct, Adams took over from Destiny onwards

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Shame he wrote one of those. :allears:

Lower expectations before you get the job, all going as planned :smugdog:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After The War posted:

Nothing about Horns of Nimon is forgetttable.

:mensch: The Nimon be praised! :mensch:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And I count at least 15 stories that are worse than VoV in that :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Do you guys think I have a problem? :ohdear:

Yes:

CobiWann posted:

(missing from this picture - The Juggernauts and Something Inside)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

But I'll shut up about community in the who thread now.

Read that as "continuity"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Talking about Community Brittas a thread.

Some sort of Brittas Empire if you will

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Not really. It's a mechanism to cut out 2-4 episodes of the Doctor running off to get Letters of Transit or whatever other dumbass credentials are stuck between him and the actual plot. It's very New Who.

Ehhh what tended to happen was that the Doctor would just waltz into a place and act like he was in charge. The psychic paper solved a problem that didn't really exist, and also takes away the possibility of fantastic sequences like the one from the Curse of Fenric, where the Doctor goes into a top secret military base, demands some official stationary, writes his own letter of reference, forges Churchill's signature and gives it to the base commander with the ink still wet when he bursts in the door moments later.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, he even does it in front of other characters, who just seem so pleased by the audacity of what he just did that they won't make a stink.

He does it in front of Dr Judson, who likes the Doctor because he knows about logic puzzles (and other things...)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Or you could just write it so neither of those things are a problem? It makes you be more creative, but creativity is what's good about things like Doctor Who.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sekkira posted:

You say this as if a decade spanning meta plot wouldn't be AWESOME.

Yes, he does

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Timelash is overacted nonsense bad, not Twin Dilemma bad

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

quote:

The Tardis looms over hundreds of tiny identical booths that are laid out in uniform rows, with each booth containing a figure staring intently at a screen.

quote:

The Tardis looms over

quote:

looms

Your move, Cartmel deniers :smugdog:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Now now Potsticker, suicide is not the answer

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Also they never explained how they got out of the timeline did they? Like they were looking at Hurt Doctor and then next episode stuff as usual. I thought going in that thing was dangerous.

It's never explained how they got out of the Silence base in The Impossible Astronaut, either.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

But... they are blithering moron bureaucrats. :confused:

Thanks to their portrayal in The Deadly Assassin. Duh.

jng2058 posted:

Well, you better quit watching, then.

I, for one, find recent Doctor Who very uninspiring and don't really care if I miss an episode.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Much like the debate around the Time War, I much prefer the idea of the Time Lords being unknowably powerful and alien instead of being doddering old fools with their own Time Lord BBC.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You can read "making fun of autism" into basically every comedy ever, being as it is a condition of malcoordination and awkwardness.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

Why do we care what this Sandifer guy thinks anyway? How many fan films where he dresses up as a fat Time Lord with a depressed looking Sylvester McCoy has he made?
Not enough!

And he's the Tardis Eruditorium guy, which people say is quite good but looks to be a pile of shite

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lawrence Miles is the one true Who critic :getin:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

Larry, on the other hand, is well worth following on twitter.

quote:

Not only are many American children taught creationism, they're told that Fraggle Rock is in some bloke's basement rather than a lighthouse.

quote:

I'm pretending #bigbenefitsrow is a row about E-Fits of Big Ben, as a clock being a suspect on "Crimewatch" is less stupid than the reality.

quote:

Writing a novel is harder than montages make it look. I tried singing the "Murder She Wrote" theme, but after 20 minutes it's really tiring.

Ok this is pretty good

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If I was going to get a Who tattoo it would be one of the TARDIS after it lands in The Invasion

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Oh crumbs.

Well, I guess I'll give it a shot this weekend. Been as while since I've seen it. I mean, it can't be as bad as, say, Timelash.

It is much much much worse than Timelash. Timelash has ludicrous overacting and concepts thrown in everywhere, The Twin Dilemma is just offensive.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 7, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Floorgazer posted:

I find it really hard to explain to people why I like this show sometimes. Pretty much everything post-Davison and pre-revival is pretty embarrassing to be caught watching.

Some may call it... mostly shite

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You've missed out the rather important detail that it was made for charity. It's a nineties anniversary version of Time Crash, not The Five Doctors. That's also why people volunteered their time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Then what is Three Doctors? Chopped liver?

I'm pretty sure it's Cromer

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It was made for the tenth anniversary series, so you're being a bit nitpicky

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's actually pretty good, every who fan should watch/listen to it at least once.

Too bad I can't seem to get the BBC website to play it anymore. And the only option for downloading the audio (legimately from the BBC website mind, it's not :files:) is freaking realplayer. who the hell uses that?

Back in 2003? Everyone, unfortunately.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I've noticed a slowly building "Dont mention the 10th anniversary, it takes away from the old show-new show continuity" frame of thought

Have you? I, for one, didn't give it any thought either way.

Repeating the "Why does it matter?" question, the 50th anniversary special was all revival anyway.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The classic picture of Orwell, too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

EDIT: "UNIT dating" should be the name for shipping Three and the Delgado Master... oh my god I've spent too much time on Tumblr WHAT HAVE I BECOME!?

There's been a joke about dating dating for about as long as it's existed. It usually involved Mike Yates though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Chucat posted:

I don't watch news about TV.

It was on the front page of newspapers

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I would recommend the first three, The Azteks, The Dalek Invasion of Earth, The Time Meddler and The Tenth Planet of the extant stories.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I would suggest not buying The Chase, as it is terrible

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The finds last year are, in terms of internet rumours, the exception. Don't hold your breath, but appreciate any that may show up in the future.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

If you have any questions about Doctor Who ask Ian Levine.

"Who invented the Daleks?"
"I, Ian Levine, did"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Don't stress about Fixed Points too much. They make absolutely no sense and aren't needed as a plot element.

DoctorWhat posted:

HEY GUYS!

If you want to own a physical object with Tom Baker's signature on it, PRE-ORDER THE "TOM BAKER AT 80" CD FROM BIG FINISH! It's 15 USD +shipping and arrives in September.

I already do so nyah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The sad thing is that all Major Generals Song spoofs aren't anywhere near as clever as the original or indeed "get" it

• Locked thread