Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Ugh, I was gonna make a Mongoose Traveller character, but maybe later on. This is gonna be part FATAL & Friends, part character creation for something I've wanted to run for my group for a long time now.

Buck Rogers High Adventure Cliffhangers: Making a Character, then Watching Him Die in Combat

High Adventure Cliffhangers chargen is, in a way, almost like Fate's. Instead of rolling for ability scores that you're not going to use 98% of the time because you use a derived value instead, you rate how good or bad you are instead on a scale of "Okay > Good > Better > Best." You have four ability scores: Strength, which is all about might and how well you can fight with melee weapons; Aim, which covers your ability to shoot (sigh) the Han menace, pick locks, and fly an airplane or rocket flyer; Brains, which is a reasonable measure of how smart you are; and Health, which determines how hard it is to make you take a (well-deserved, if you're one of the guys in my D&D group) dirt nap.

One of those four stats is your Best stat. You roll 5d6 when you make any roll keyed off that stat. Now, it's the amazing year four hundred billion 2431, and combat's still very much a ranged affair, so we're going to say Aim is our Best stat.

One stat is our Better stat. It's not as good as Best, but a Better is still pretty high up there. You roll 4d6 for anything to do with your Better stat. I don't like dying in combat, because it's a pain in the rear end to come back from the dead in most games, so that's going into Health.

Next is our Good stat, which isn't mediocre, but could be a lot better. Anything involving your Good stat includes you rolling 3d6 to resolve it. We can be a pretty decent World War I flying ace with a Good, so that's going into Brains. (In case you're wondering why I said Brains lets us fly an airplane, both Aim and Brains are used for flying planes. Brains gets involved when it's "fly between Niagara and Los Angeles," Aim is used when you're trying something like "fly between those two Han rocket fliers. Sideways.")

Finally, our last stat is something we're only Okay at. We are not average Joes/Janes in something we're Okay at, we're just heroically average. Which is just a polite way of saying "You're Joe Average." Joe Average only gets to roll 2d6 when his Okay stat is involved. Seeing as that it's our only one left, we get some nice heroically Okay Strength. This makes our character index card so far:

Strength: Okay
Aim: Best
Brains: Good
Health: Better

The rules say we can buy one stat up by buying another stat down, but we're not going to do that because I'm lazy and I don't feel like gimping a stat just so I can punch people harder.

Skills: Not as Easy as You'd Like

Next up is skills. Every Buck Rogers character has five skills, which are specific areas of expertise. Skills are tied to a stat, and if we have a skill pertaining to what we're doing when we make a skill check, we can roll an extra d6! Our choice of skills are:

Strength: Axe (fighting with axes, what a surprise), Brawling (fighting with whatever crap you pick up off the ground that isn't supposed to be a weapon), Fisticuffs (fisticuffsmanship, what a concept), Grappling (please don't do this in any RPG, ever.), Knife (playing the original knifsey-spoony), Mace (the kind on a heavy oak stick, not the kind in a can on your keychain), Muscles (for pulling off feats of strength), Sword (for swording people to death)

Aim: Airborne Combat (gunnery from a moving platform like a biplane or rocket flyer, specifically called out in the book to not work if it's parked on the ground, does not cover plane-based weapons), Daredevil (your catchall acrobatics skill), Dexterity (your generalist "fine acts of manual dexterity" like lockpicking and tying knots), Disintegrator (for fighting with disintegrator pistols and rifles, because the weapons of (sigh) the Han menace require special training), Gunpowder Weapons (for your backwards-rear end 20th century firearms, because it requires special training in the year 2431 to blow someone's skull open with a Falcon .45 ACP, I guess?), Heavy Weapons (for firing any gun with a barrel opening bigger than your head, like the rocket cannon or (sigh) the Han menace's disintegrator cannon, as well as any plane-based weapon), Nimble (why the gently caress they can't just call this Dodge, I'll never understand, but it's +1d6 when actively dodging in combat), Rocket Pistol (the standard sidearm for heroes in The Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand Four Hundred Thirty One, and inherently better than every other pistol in the game), Throwing (another d6 when attempting to sink a knife into someone's eye from twenty paces, but doesn't extend your range)

Brains: Broadcast Technologist (knowing how electricity broadcasting equipment, the source of power for the weapons and flying vessels of (sigh) the Han menace, works), Contacts (making friends, requires you to spend a month in a town before you make contacts there), Electronist (knowing how 25th century technology, specifically radios, works, and I know the game's based on a newspaper comic from the 1930s, but I'd like to pretend we have more efficient ways of communication than radios nowadays), First Aid (putting a fellow PC back together when he suffers from some occupational hazard (read: disintegrated to gently caress-all)), Mechanic (knowing how mechanical equipment, like locks, rockets, and large machines, works), Piloting (flying an airplane or rocket ship, subject to that bit I said before about "Brains for routine flying, Aim for Truly Heroic poo poo," is actually called out as an exception to the normal rules), Robotist (for messing around with robots)

Health: Constitution (resisting poisons and knockout gas), Endurance (performing things that would fatigue or exhaust you for a long time, like fasting for a month, swimming across the Atlantic Ocean or free-climbing El Capitan), Hardy Individual (rolled when resisting being knocked out in combat, and only during combat), Indomitable Spirit (resisting mental attacks, but there's only one thing in the game that actually counts as a mental attack because the gameline died before it could cover the non-racist space opera part of the Buck Rogers newspaper comics), Will to Live (resisting not getting killed because you got shot, stabbed, skull-caved-in-by-mace, or disintegrated to gently caress-all.)

The sole supplement for High Adventures Cliffhangers adds more skills, but I'm too lazy to pop open the box and look at the supplement's rulebook, so core only. We get to pick one skill for each of our stats, plus an extra skill for our Best stat, which you'll recall before, was our Aim stat. Because we're great at the killings, we're going to train ourselves in Rocket Pistols (this gives us a nice 6d6 to roll on every attack roll we ever make with rocket pistols, so we are one of the best marksmen on Earth.) We're old-timey heroes too, because the game's based on a newspaper comic from the '30s, like I said, so our lantern jaw of justice lets us be a truly Hardy Individual, rolling 5d6 to shrug off being punched in the face. We are also pilots, so our Brains skill is gonna be Piloting, giving us 4d6 for routine piloting (or 6d6 for aerial stunts.) And since we're pilots, we're going to have some fun stories to tell about how we blew up some of (sigh) the Han menace's rocket fliers. Naturally, someone's going to call us on our bullshit, and we're gonna have a bar fight as a result, so we're gonna train ourselves in Fisticuffs. Whenever we punch someone, we roll 3d6.

We need one final skill for Aim (our Best stat), so we're going to train up Airborne Combat (after all, everything we pilot has guns, too!) Just like with a rocket pistol, any attack roll made from a moving airplane or rocket flier has an extra d6 rolled in the attempt. Our character sheet looks like this:

Strength: Okay (Fisticuffs)
Aim: Best (Airborne Combat, Rocket Pistol)
Brains: Good (Piloting)
Health: Better (Hardy Individual)

Get Equip With Stuff

Once we have our skills, the last part of character creation is getting equipment. There's no money system, no truly labyrinthine tables of simple/martial/exotic weapons and armor to pore through and weigh your options against here-- everyone starts with:
*An Inertron jumping belt (a harness fitted with a yellow antigravity metal that lets your character jump like in John Carter)
*A helmet radio (please don't do the "Hey, Obi-Wan!!" "You guys have radios..." "HEY, OBI-WAN!!" joke more than once a session.)
*A rocket pistol (regardless of whether or not you're actually trained in its use! Fortunately, we are.)
*A melee weapon (if we are trained in the use of one, which we are not. So ignore this line.)
*A first aid kit, if we're trained in First Aid (we aren't.)
*An electronics kit, if we are trained in Electronist (we aren't, either.)
*A tool kit, if we are trained in either Mechanics or Robotist (neither of which we are.)

Anything else is either secure on-site or requisitioned (based on tje "Do we need it?" "Are we using it for something important?" "Are we trustworthy enough for one?" trifecta), which is how you get your finery like gunpowder weapons, planes, and grenades. We can safely assume that we can get our hands on something to fly because, well, we're trained pilots. So, our character card looks like this when we're done with chargen:

code:
Strength: Okay (Fisticuffs)
Aim: Best (Airborne Combat, Rocket Pistol)
Brains: Good (Piloting)
Health: Better (Hardy Individual)

Inertron Jumping Belt
Helmet Radio
Rocket Pistol (6d6 attack roll, range 10 squares, AP Cost 1, Health Roll DC 25 or target and
all adjacent make Mortality Rolls, all adjacent to those make Health rolls or knocked out for 1d6 rounds)
Curtis Jenny Biplane
And that's it! Nice, simple, no muss, no fuss, easy to replace characters that Didn't Quite Make It, simple system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asymmetrikon posted:

5d100 has a 10% chance to roll a duplicate, so it isn't as unlikely as you'd think! :science:

*does math in head*

poo poo, you're right, I'm a loving idiot :pseudo:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

xiw posted:

This question's a trap! If you answer yes, you're a loner, you just get the Loner trait and nothing else out of circles, and you have to wait around while everyone else answers the rest of questions.

I love it. "Oh, so your character sits at the back of the inn in his concealing cloak and sips his ale? Great, you do that while the rest of us have some fun."

Mustache Ride posted:

Traveller
:psyduck:

At any rate, I shall be showcasing Eclipse Phase, with special emphasis on the random generation Lifepath system. It's like Traveller, only with more cyber-Cthulhu! And dying in chargen doesn't make you start over!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Tenra Bansho Zero: Introducing Cyborg Grandpa.

The default chargen for Tenra Bansho Zero is largely based around picking from a selection of archetypes- usually 2-4, depending on the point cost of the archetype in question. This character in particular was inspired by there being an archetype for playing old people. (And also, I'll admit, by a certain TORG archetype from the cyberpapacy sourcebook.)

So, the basic idea is 'old man who's been heavily modified as a cyborg'. So we pick archetypes based on that idea, and maybe some others to explain why he got all cybered up in the first place.

Our first archetype, obviously, is "Elder". This has a Karma cost of 15, has a station requirement of 2 (Which means when I assign characteristics I've got to have a station at least that high) and comes with an ornate pipe that also doubles as club and a seal of office, because you're the oldest man in the village and have some small rank as a result. It gives skills of Information and Etiquette at 3, and recommends a high empathy attribute.

Conveniently, the Fate listed for it is Emotion: Times are changing, which is basically what I was asked to give him anyway.

So that's the grandpa part of Cyborg Grandpa covered. Now let's get to the Cyborg.

Cyborgs in Tenra are called Kijin, and, in setting, are a fairly recent development, coming about after the modernist Taoists, called the Northen Court, started sharing their tech (Well, some of it) with others. Cybernetics, called mechanica, cost points from your attribute pool to use. (As do a few other things, like custom weapons.

So we take the Kijin Archetype, which comes with a default package of mechanica with a total attribute cost of 5, but has a note saying we can swap out the package if we like, we've just got to be sure to adjust the attribute cost if necessary. It also gives unarmed combat 3 and marksman 3 as skills.

For now, we'll keep the package it gives us- if I were making a character for actual play, I might play around with it some more.

What it gives: One replacement eye, that gives a bonus to marksman rolls and lets you see in the dark, as well as +5 to all perception checks.

Two mechanica arms, that give a +5 on all melee and thrown weapon damage Apparently replacing both arms doesn't reduce your attributes by more than it'd cost to just replace one, while letting you take 2 extra implant weapons, so not a bad deal, really.

A targeting implant that gives +2 dice to attack rolls with one of the implant weapons (The five-barrel gatling, a gun built into his hand and fingers, in this case.) Since the 5 barrel gatling uses marksmanship, this means I'm rolling an extra 4 dice when shooting it. My other implant weapons are "Vajra claws" which are claws with replaceable tips made of soulgems, and a grudge blade, and implanted retractable short sword I can't actually use yet.

To fix that, and maybe provide an explanation for why he's all cybered up, we take a look at some of the warrior archetypes: In this case, Lordless soldier- Old Cyber grandpa was on the losing side of a great battle, which is probably why he's now a retired old man with deadly cyberweapons. This has a station requirement of 4, and a karma cost of 13. (Though we likely won't be using the rifle it comes with, given our ability to shoot people with our bare hands.) It gives Melee weapons 3, Marksman 2 (Which we already have from the Kijin archetype, so we turn this into the Notice skill instead, to go with our cybereye.) and Stealth 2.

Our total karma cost so far is 43. We could probably afford another archetype, and looking over the list, I'm going to take "Hard Luck": He lost something precious to him, and has a memento. What I'm going with is "Outtlived his wife and son", and since, well, he's Cyborg _Grandpa_, we'll say the "memento item" is his young grandchild that he's taking care of, at least until he's forced into adventure by circumstances. The Hard Luck archetype gives Pursuit/Hunt 3 and First Aid 2, as well as a broken sword that does +1 damage, our total karma cost is 48, and we have 4 archetypes and two fates select from them.

We're going to go with: Misfortune: Death of his most precious thing (His wife and son) at 3,
and Emotion: Longing for the old days at 2.

All that's left is to spend 35 points (Ordinarily you'd spend 40, but being an elderly cyborg has cost us points) on stats and pick a name, and we're ready to go.

Tenra comes with a random name generator, so we'll use it here.

A 1 and a 5 on 2D6 means he's called Masagoro.

So our character is a bitter old man, once a soldier, who was heavily modified after sustaining injuries on the battlefield, yet still outlived his wife and son. Now he's dealing with taking care of a grandchild who he's worried he'll accidentally skewer one day if he hugs the kid with his terrifying death-arms.

pre:
Archetypes: Elder, Kijin, Lordless Soldier, Hard Luck.

Attribute cost: 5 Karma: 48.

Attributes: Body 5, Agility 5, Senses 5, Knowledge 5, Spirit 5, Empathy 6, Station 4

Vitality 10, Soul 20, Wound 5, 3, 2, 1.

Skills:
Notice 2
Marksman 3
Melee weapons 3
Unarmed 3
Information 3
Etiquette 3
Stealth 2
Pursuit/Hunt 3
First Aid 2

Equipment:  (Equipment Cost 3)

Broken sword, Broken Breastplate (Mementos from his time in the war.)

Ornate pipe (+2 damage), seal of office

Rifle: Damage +5, RoF 1, Range 50m, Ammo 3.

Toddler grandson.

Mechanica:

Mechanica Sensor: One eye, class otsu, +5 to rolls to perception checks.

Darksight: You can see in the dark: Add 2 dice to all rolls while in darkness.

Eye of distant death: add 2 dice to all marksman rolls.

Mechanica arms: Both arms, class otsu, provide +5 to damage to hits with unarmed combat, melee, and thrown weapons.

Vajra claws: Damage +3(8), claws powered by soulgems: ROF 3, Ammo 6.
Grudge Blade: Damage +5(10)
Five barrel gatling: Damage +3, ROF 5, Range 20m Ammo 30.

So there's Cyborg grandpa down. Next, maybe another character for this system, or possibly some IKRPG stuff.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 20, 2014

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

This is wonderful and you are wonderful. An Ayakashi would be pretty neat to see. Or IK characters, those are awesome too.

I'm going to write up a Fireborn character later today.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The tale of Uinfrid the Elf continues with Chapter 7: Occupation

quote:

If a character is equal to or younger than the age listed above, then the player may choose an occupation for their character. The most popular choice for a player is an adventuring occupation, such as an assassin or mercenary. Historically, most simply chose the same occupation as their parents.

Well choosing is no good, we want to make a poo poo-farmer turned adventurer, not some kind of heroic elf knight or something. You know, for realism.

Since Uinfrid is a Serf (as 98% of Elves are), we get the largest list of occupations to roll on. Slaves only have one, slave. Peasants have 40ish, Nobles have 25ish, Royals have 6, and Serfs have about 150. I say -ish and about because they are in these huge tables and each entry is assigned a range of numbers, so that there can be a .5% chance of being a fisherman but only a .1% chance of being clockmaker. You know, for realism.

Lets get to it!
code:
<skybot> 16 (d1000=16)
The massive 16 of 1000 gets us Armorer! I am happy with this result just because it is near the beginning of the enormous occupation chapter.

quote:

Armorer
Ability Requirements: Strength 90, Spatial Intelligence 90, and Intelligence (overall) 85.

Wait… requires Strength 90? Uh well, it doesn't actually say what to do here that I can find, so I'm going to assume Uinfrid tried to take up the family job of stapling leaves together to make elven armor, but just wasn't cut out for it, and reroll.
code:
<skybot> 280 (d1000=280)
Gladiator! Hell yeah!

quote:

Ability Requirements: None.
Gender: Occasionally, female gladiators enter the arena. Males, however, are clearly the default gender for gladiators. Among human cultures, human male gladiators must be at least age 25 and females at least age 21. Other cultures -- such as bugbear, kobold, and subterranean troll -- have no restrictions of age or gender.
Race: All races may be imprisoned, and hence, are each likely to have members who have become gladiators, whether they volunteered or not.
Disposition: While all dispositions are possible, very few gladiators are ethical, since it is often their unethical or unlawful actions that have caused them to be imprisoned in the first place. Temperament: Gladiators tend to be choleric. Sociality: The vast majority of gladiators are slaves, peasants, or serfs, as are most criminals. However, nobles have been known to volunteer to become gladiators.
Religion: Some gladiators worship gods of war or combat, though others many pay no attention to religion at all.
Skills: Armor (General, Light), Armor (General, Medium), Dismemberment + 3, Impaling + 3, Mangling + 3, Seduction + 3, and 4 Weapons (Specific).
Equipment: Gladiators receive their armor and weapons, if any, as a courtesy of the arena. No gladiator is ever given heavy armor, and only occasionally do they acquire medium armor. Nearly any melee weapon may be used by gladiators in the arena.
Magic Points: Inapplicable.
Advancement Points: Gladiators gain AP by damaging foes while in an arena or a situation in which they fight for money, freedom, or the amusement of the public. Points gained equal the damage dealt.
Training: None.
Guild: None.

Uinfrid the Sanguine and Satyromaniacal, Elven Gladiator.

Chapter 8: Skills

quote:

Most skills may be attempted by all characters, though some have prerequisites. For example, any character is capable of attempting to seduce someone, even if they are not a whore by occupation and their sub-ability scores are low in Bodily Attractiveness, as well as Facial, Vocal, Kinetic, or Rhetorical Charisma.
[…]
Many skills have a Learning Curve (LC), which is a modifier to skill checks when skills must be learned in order to be performed without penalty.
[…]
In addition to these bases, however, each character starts with a number of Skill Points (SP) depending on Race, Age, and Lifespan. These SP are invested into the appropriate skills under Points Invested on the character sheet (see App. 1: Character Sheets). Again, if at least 5 points are allotted to a skill when the character is created, then a LC does not apply to that skill.
At the time of character creation, additional SP may be distributed to skills depending on occupation (see Chap. 7: Occupation) and race (see Chap. 1: Race and Gender). Then, after SP are determined from the table above, a character must invest all SP into skills. Investing SP should be done year by year, instead of in a lump sum.

So… Uinfrid is 70, and will live to be 250 (unless he moves to a different forest?). Looking back at the Elf lifespan chart, he was an Infant for 5% of his max (12.5), a Child for 10% (25), and Puberty for 10% (25), which adds up to 62.5 of his 70 years, so 7.5 as a Young Adult.
code:
<skybot> 115 (37d8-37=4, 2, 3, 4, 7, 4, 7, 1, 1, 2, 8, 3, 8, 5, 5, 3, 2, 4, 
1, 1, 7, 8, 6, 6, 3, 2, 5, 7, 7, 1, 2, 3, 7, 1, 1, 6, 5)
<skybot> 64 (25d6-25=1, 4, 3, 5, 6, 2, 3, 3, 6, 4, 6, 3, 2, 6, 1, 2, 1, 3, 6, 6, 4, 
6, 1, 4, 1)
<skybot> 54 (7d10=8, 10, 2, 9, 10, 5, 10)
So, 115+64+(54/2)-7=199 Skill Points to spend. 1d100% each year are supposed to go to occupational skills, to represent the family trade, but Uinfrid wasn't always going to be a gladiator and I really don't want to track it year by year so I'll just conveniently ignore that.

quote:

Whenever a skill check is necessary, the player rolls 3d10, modifies the result according to the number in Total Modifier, and announces the adjusted result. The Aedile will compare this result to a Threshold (TH), which is usually known only by the Aedile. If the player’s result equals or exceeds the TH, then the character has passed. Otherwise, the player has failed the skill check. A 6 always fails or is a fumble.

Big numbers good, got it. As an Elf and a Gladiator, we get some bonuses:

quote:

Skills: Climb + 3, Contortion + 3, Dance + 3, Etiquette + 3, Herbalism + 3, Musical Instrument (Singing) + 3, Nature (Plants) + 3, Nature (Trees) + 3, Smell + 3, Tracking + 3, and Tumbling + 3.
Skills: Armor (General, Light), Armor (General, Medium), Dismemberment + 3, Impaling + 3, Mangling + 3, Seduction + 3, and 4 Weapons (Specific).

There is no max to skills, but we are technically supposed to be doing it year by year along with our Aedile to make a snapshot about how when Uinfrid was 8 he climbed a tree and got a skill point or some poo poo. I'm just going to start putting points in our race and profession skills, starting with 5 in each in case of that LC thing, and then look for cool stuff.

Some special cases...

quote:

Smell is a sense and different than most skills. Each character must roll 3d10 to determine the quality of this sense and record this as SP invested. A character may invest no more than 1d10 SP into this skill. If a character needs to assess the sensitivity of their Smell, then they must pass a Smell skill check.
code:
<skybot> 18 (3d10=2, 10, 6)
<skybot> 8 (1d10=8)

quote:

Weapon, Specific: This skill applies individually to different weapons. For each weapon in which 5 SP have been invested, the weapon may be used in combat without penalty. Some occupations (see Chap. 7: Occupation) grant 1 or more Weapon (Specific) skills. Consider these granted skills as though 5 free SP have been invested.
[…]
Roll 3d10 and apply the average of the modifiers from the sub-abilities that are determined by Weapon Type (see Weapons in Chap. 9: Equipment), which are S, SA, or A. Characters who use weapons of type S include the modifier for Hand-Eye Coordination. Characters who use weapons of type SA include the modifiers for Hand-Eye Coordination times 2, then add the modifier for Agility, and divide the sum by 3. Characters who use weapons of type A include the modifiers for Hand-Eye Coordination and Agility.
I'm not ready to delve into equipment just yet, so I'll just give myself a +5 in each and save them for last.

So, after much thinking, I bump pretty much everything to 10 SP, and add Disarm, Jump, Teaching, Weapon Masteries, and a Weapon Trick.

code:
Skill				SP	Ability	Bonuses	Total
Armor (General, Light)		5	-		5
Armor (General, Medium)		5	-		5
Climb				10	PF/A	+3+10	23
Contortion			10	PF/A	+3+10	23
Dance				10	K/A	+3+3	26
Disarm				5	HC/A	+0	5
Dismemberment			10	
Etiquette			10	I/CS/Re	+3+5	18
Herbalism			10	I/CS/Re	+3+5	18
Impaling			10	
Jump				5	PF	+14	19
Mangling			10	
Musical Instrument (Singing)	10	HC/Sp	+3+3	16
Nature (Plants)			10	I	+3	13
Nature (Trees)			10	I	+3	13
Seduction			10	BA/C	+3+3	16
Smell				8	18	+3	29
Teaching			1	I/In/CS	+3	4
Tracking			10	I	+3	13
Tumbling			10	A	+6	16
Weapon				10	*	+5	15
Weapon				10	*	+5	15
Weapon				5	*	+5	10
Weapon				0	*	+5	5
Weapon Mastery			1			
Weapon Mastery			1			
Weapon Trick			3	HC	-6	-3
So now we peek into the next chapter to pick a couple weapons. We want type A weapons, since our HC sucks (-6), but A will cancel it (+6).

quote:

Each weapon also has either A (Agility), SA (Strength and Agility), or S (Strength) listed. ‘A’ weapons may be used to attack twice per round in combat, while ‘S’ and ‘SA’ weapons may be used to attack once per round in combat.
Oh good, the thing we are not lovely with is faster too.

gently caress.
Double gently caress, outside of daggers, garrotes, punching, and whips, everything is going to use my HC. I guess we are only -2 with SA weapons, so they are next best.
For now, I'm going to take Stiletto and Sword, Long as my +15 and mastered weapons, the Whip, Bull as my +10 weapon, and Spear, Trident as my +5. We might need to change these later, but that works for now.

Next time, Chapter 9: Equipment, and tying it all together!

Dagon fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 20, 2014

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I hope nobody minds that I am double posting a bunch and spamming with terrible FATAL poo poo.

Chapter 9: Equipment

Looking back, Uinfrid was born a serf, starting with 1d100sp.
code:
<skybot> 63 (1d100=63)
Luckily being a gladiator, he gets his weapons and armor for free. So we only really need to go shopping for whatever else. Let's figure Uinfrid has given up on the arenas and decided to adventure, so he will need travelling gear and some basic supplies.

Backpack, leather 10 s.p.
Blanket, wool 4 s.p.
Boots, calf 20 s.p.
Breeches 4 s.p.
Condom 1 s.p.
Flint 2 s.p.
Rope, per 50’ 10 s.p.
Torch 1 s.p.
Wineskin 6 s.p.
5 sp left over

What is more telling here is the items on the list we can't afford. Underwear and an undershirt. Uinfrid goes commando and likes to show off his hot bod. With his remaining money, he can probably afford a drink or some vegetables for dinner.

Its weapon time!

quote:

Weight Distribution is the location of the balancing point of the weapon, considering the handle or end closest to the wielder as 1, and the tip or end closest to the foe as 100. The range of Weight Distribution is 1-100.
Fulcrum Range is where the wielder places their hand or hands. If both hands are used, then the hand closest to the attacking-end of the weapon is considered the fulcrum. The location of their hands is the point from which leverage is gained. The higher the number, the closer the fulcrum is to the attacking-end of the weapon. The lower the fulcrum on a hacking or pounding weapon, the more damage is delivered but it has a higher Delivery Penalty (see Delivery Penalty on the next page). Therefore,the higher the fulcrum on a hacking or pounding weapon, the less damage is delivered but it has a lower Delivery Penalty.
Who caaaaaares.

quote:

Damage is the numerical value determined by dice that the foe suffers, should the wielder connect successfully with their foe. Once rolled, damage must be modified by the point chosen as fulcrum, if applicable (see Fulcrum Range). To modify damage by fulcrum, subtract the chosen point from 100, and divide the result by 100. Multiply damage by this result. Finally, damage may be modified by Strength, if caused with an ‘S’ or ‘SA’ weapon (see Type for A, SA, or S weapons). After damage is modified, if applicable, it is subtracted from the IP of the foe’s armor if the armor but not the foe was struck, or additionally, the BPP and LP of the damaged foe if struck. Edged weapons listed are considered to be sharp. If an edged weapon is dull, it does only 50% of the damage listed.
Delivery Penalty is a number that is to be subtracted from the initiative roll (see Chap. 10: Combat) each round, which serves to make combatants with weapons likely to be slower while attacking than combatants using only natural weapons, such as brawlers, animals, or many beasts. Delivery Penalty (DP) is listed directly for Missile Weapons. Players must calculate DP for all other weapons. For hacking or pounding weapons, consult the first method below:
First, multiply Weapon Size in inches by Weapon Weight in pounds. Multiply the result by the Weight Distribution. Consider this result A.
Next, select a point in the Fulcrum Range, if a range is offered. Then, subtract the chosen point from 100, and divide this result by 100. Consider this result B.
Multiply result A by B. Divide this result by 2. The Strength of the character must equal or exceed this result to be physically capable of wielding the weapon.
If the character is capable, then apply the opposite of the skill modifiers for Strength, Agility, or the average of Strength and Agility, depending on its type: A, SA, or S. The result is the DP.
For stabbing weapons, multiply the Weapon Weight by 10, and apply the opposite of the Agility skill modifier. This is the DP. The Strength of the character must exceed thrice the DP with a stabbing weapon, only for Agility-based weapons, to wield the weapon. Stabbing weapons weighing less than 1% of a character’s Strength have DP 0.
Fuuuuuck yooooouuuuu

Dagger, Stiletto(triple edge): Cost 50 s.p., Type S:A, Size T 12”, Wt 1, Weight Dist NA, Fulcrum Range NA, Damage 1d20, Penetration -/-/-10
Sword, Long (thin blade that is long for a one-handed sword): Cost 70 s.p. , Type S:SA, Size M 34-42”, Wt 4, Weight Dist NA, Fulcrum Range NA, Damage 1d20, Penetration -/-5/-15
Whip, Bull: Cost 20 s.p., Type H:A, Size L 168”, Wt 3, Weight Dist 0.10, Fulcrum Range 5, Damage 1d6, Penetration -/-70/-90
Spear, Trident (2H): Cost 8 s.p., Type S:SA, Size M 48-96”, Wt 6, Weight Dist 0.80, Fulcrum Range NA, Damage 3d6, Penetration -/-5/-10

Ugh so can I even use this poo poo is the big question. Starting with the whip, our only hacking weapon:
Weapon Size in inches by weight in pounds (A): Whip: 504
(100-Fulcrum Range)/100 (B): Whip: 0.95
(A*B)/2 <= Strength (41): 239.4 hahaha no, our feeble elven arms cannot crack that whip :whip:
Wait… 239?!? Human Average is 100. Whips are only usable by ogres and poo poo, or I am really missing something.

Ok, maybe I am so feeble I need to stab and not hack.
Dagger: (Weight (1)*10)-Agi (6)=4*3=12 < 41 Str, whew
Sword: (Weight (4)*10)-Agi (6)=34*3=102 > 41 Str, nope!
Trident: (Weight (6)*10)-Agi (6)=54*3=162 > 41 Str, nope!

So since I can't use 3 of my 4 chosen weapons, I really should go back and find some other super light weight stabbing weapons, maybe a bow or something, but gently caress it at this point. All Daggers all the time. In fact, Uinfrid's Strength isn't that bad for an elf. Unless you are an elf bodybuilder or have some ridiculous Agility, you are pretty much limited to daggers and ranged weapons.

Armor, oh god this is going to be even worse isn't it. I'm not even loving looking at encumbrance since I am probably too weak to wear pants, and my armor is free, so I'm just going to pick the best light armor there is.

gently caress, "Light" armor isn't really defined, and everything is broken into individual components. God damnit. Leather, I'm going to wear Leather.
Leather: Cost 70 s.p., Weight 7, Armor Bonus 10/5/5/5, Agility -1, Hide -, Silence -2, IP 5

quote:

Armor Bonus is listed for 4 types of attacks: brawling, hacking, pounding, and stabbing. Parenthetical information is the armor for a face, separate from the head, except for chainmail hauberks and chausses, which indicates 6-in-1 instead of 4-in-1. Armor bonuses are cumulative among armor types. For instance, if a character were wears a great helm and raises a steel heater shield to protect their head during a hacking attack,then the armor bonuses of 15 and 15 combine, granting an additional 30 to CA.

That’s...it? OK, I keep thinking the next part must be even worse than the last, but it just turns out to be some throwaway crap.

Lets look at encumbrance even though I don't give a poo poo.

quote:

To determine a character’s maximum movable weight, consult Dead Lift under the sub-ability of Strength (see Chap. 3: Abilities). The total weight of the character’s load or possessions is compared to their Dead Lift. If their weight is less than 25% of their Dead Lift, then they are unencumbered, moving at their full potential.
Consulting the table, Uinfrid can dead lift 63 lbs. So, unencumbered at 15ish, which is actually about how much he is carrying (assuming he doesn't haul around a sword and spear he can't thrust with). Again, expecting the worst and I just turn out underwhelmed.

So… that is it for character creation. Only 6,465 words!. Now I will try to put all of these things together on a character sheet and explain just how likely Uinfrid is to die to the first Rape Ogre.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 21, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I might do either Grunt or Cthulhu For President.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I didn't fill out the extra 6 pages or whatever of skills and other poo poo, so here they are again.

code:
Skill				SP	Ability	Bonuses	Total
Armor (General, Light)		5	-		5
Armor (General, Medium)		5	-		5
Climb				10	PF/A	+3+10	23
Contortion			10	PF/A	+3+10	23
Dance				10	K/A	+3+3	26
Disarm				5	HC/A	+0	5
Dismemberment			10	
Etiquette			10	I/CS/Re	+3+5	18
Herbalism			10	I/CS/Re	+3+5	18
Impaling			10	
Jump				5	PF	+14	19
Mangling			10	
Musical Instrument (Singing)	10	HC/Sp	+3+3	16
Nature (Plants)			10	I	+3	13
Nature (Trees)			10	I	+3	13
Seduction			10	BA/C	+3+3	16
Smell				8	18	+3	29
Teaching			1	I/In/CS	+3	4
Tracking			10	I	+3	13
Tumbling			10	A	+6	16
Weapon (Stiletto)		10	*	+5	15
Weapon (Heavy Things)		10	*	+5	15
Weapon (Heavy Things)		5	*	+5	10
Weapon (Heavy Things)		0	*	+5	5
Weapon Mastery (Stiletto)	1			
Weapon Mastery (Heavy Things)	1			
Weapon Trick			3	HC	-6	-3
So, what does this all mean? Lets put Uinfrid in a combat situation (because the other types of situations that FATAL specializes in are inappropriate) against the simple combat opponent from the sample adventure in the book, because it doesn't give us stats for any monsters or anything.

quote:

Mauger Stats: Height = 6’2”, Weight = 211 lbs., Age = 22, Sexuality = Hetero, Eyes = Brown, Hair Color = Brunette, Hair Thickness = Thick, Hair Length = middle of the back, Hair Type = wavy, Most Attractive Feature = chest, Most Repulsive Feature = hands, level 3 mercenary, Skin Color = tan, Physical Fitness = 111, Strength = 182, Bodily Attractiveness = 123, Health = 131, Facial = 98, Vocal = 148, Kinetic = 111, Rhetorical = 86, Hand- Eye = 152, Agility = 124, Reaction Speed = 136, Enunciation = 92, Language = 97, Math = 107, Analytic = 108, Spatial = 112, Drive = 103, Intuition = 109, Common Sense = 73, Reflection = 84, LP = 32, CA = 13, PP = 07, Disposition = NI, Temperament = CM, Languages = Sapian, Equipment = Goring Zweihander + 6, dagger, chainmail hauberk, (4-in-1), and 544 s.p.

Neither of them are surprised and they are close enough to not have to factor in their sprint speed to initiative, just because, and we roll initiative.
code:
Uinfrid: <skybot> 74 (d100+21=53)
We have to figure out Mauger's Delivery Penalty… which comes out to 75. (I figured out where I was screwing this up. There is a multiplication of the weight distribution in there, and while our elf still can't use any other weapons, it is possible to use swinging weapons in general without being a giant)
code:
Mauger: <skybot> -61 (d100+52-75=-61)
Mauger's Zweihander is ridiculously slow, especially in comparison to our speedy elf and his Stiletto.

Rather than roll on the body part proportion table, Uinfrid is going to go for a called shot.

quote:

Consider the size of the called target as a percentage of the height of the attacking creature. For example, a 9’ tall ogre makes a called shot on an elf ’s head. The head of an elf may be estimated to be roughly 7” cubed. Therefore, an ogre who is 108” is trying to hit a 7” target. Since 7” is 6.48% of 108”, and remainders are truncated, the ogre is trying to hit a target that is 6% of his size.
Uinfrid is 50", and lets say Mauger's head is a 6" target, or 12% of Uinfrid's size.

quote:

Subtract the above percentage from 100 and divide by 5. The result is the modifier to attack.
So, 18. We add that to Mauger's Armor of 13 for a target number of 31. Uinfrid's Stiletto skill is +15, so 3d10 plus that…
code:
skybot> 32 (3d10+15=6, 8, 3)
A hit, barely.

quote:

If a Called Shot successfully hits its target, and the natural attack roll met or exceeded 25, then proceed to the appropriate description of the outcome for the relevant body part in the Graphic Gore section.
Another 3d10 roll, and we get to add our Impaling skill of 10.

code:
<skybot> 26 (3d10+10=6, 5, 5)
The stabbing weapon enters the skull from the (1-5) left or (6-10) right side of the head of the foe, penetrating their temporal lobe. The foe dies instantly.

BAM. FATAL.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I used to spend hours rolling up D&D 4E characters with the character builder (mostly psionic good-aligned Tieflings. I've got a type, I guess). I might do more of that for the thread, but first! When I get home tonight I'm gonna do a TimeWatch character and, if time permits, Legends of the Wulin.

For TimeWatch I would of course prefer to stat up Manse Everard, but it's been a while since I read Time Patrol and I don't have the firmest grasp on his character. Instead, I'd like to randomly roll for era, milieu and upbringing. Anyone have some tables covering "all of human history"? TimeWatch isn't so much on the random rolling.

For Legends of the Wulin, I will do my best to stat up any major character from the Giant Robo anime, or alternatively from Hero (the film with Jet Li), as chosen by you in this thread. I'm pretty sure this is in keeping with the spirit of this game.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Can't stop, making characters is fun. Now for something a little different:

Click it to go read Rulebook Heavily's great Fatal and Friend's writeup

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The Attribute Auction is ADRs most famous mechanic, possibly because it's one of the only actual mechanics in the game. Rather than constructing your character with point-buy or whatever, you have to bid against the other players for ranking in the various Attributes and compete with them for the rank you want. It is certainly memorable, and unfortunately it's often more fun than the resulting gameplay thanks to other issues.

The auction constructs a system of Ranks for each Attribute. All contests in the game are resolved by comparing ranks, with the higher always winning unless there's some significant advantage or disadvantage at play (what constitutes "significant" being up to the GM). If you spend any points at all on an Attribute, you are Ranked and therefore better than the non-Ranked. The Ranks are simply numbered, from First to however many people bid on the Auction. The base Rank of zero points spent is called Amber Rank, which outranks Chaos Rank (powerful denizens of Shadow and people from the Courts of Chaos are at this Rank), and below that is the puny Human rank.

So, with some help from some volunteers, I began to copy and paste from the rulebook…
Psyche
<@Dagon> Okay folks, settle down, it's time for the bidding war. The first item of The Bidding War is Psyche. The winner will be the person with the strongest psychic sense and will. Is everybody ready?
<Dareon> How important is Psyche?
<@Dagon> It's the most important Attribute.
<@Dagon> ok opening bids are in! Arivia bids 40, RulebookHeavily 0, Dareon 10, MormonStarWars 1
<@Dagon> next bid will have to beat Arivia's 40, do i hear 50?
<Dareon> Pass.
<RulebookHeavily> Pass!
<@Dagon> nobody is going to outbid? 41 isnt much when you consider that Arivia can burn right through your mind...
<@Dagon> Sold!

Strength
<@Dagon> Our next Attribute Auction will be for Strength. Strength determines the winner in hand to hand combat, which is just about anytime you can grab somebody. A character with higher Strength can literally break a weaker character.
<RulebookHeavily> How important is Strength, Dagon?
<@Dagon> Easy, Strength is the most important Attribute.
<@Dagon> and we are in... MSW bids a ham, RBH 0, Dareon 32, Arivia 20
<@Dagon> Dareon is the strongest among you, unless someone wants to outbid him?
<Dareon> I will BREAK YOU.
<@Dagon> Just remember, Strength is unbeatable, there is no escaping someone who is superior to you in Strength.
<@Arivia> I'll bid 33!
<Dareon> 34.
<@Arivia> 35!
<RulebookHeavily> All bids are final~
<@Arivia> well FINE
<Dareon> 37.
<@Dagon> RulebookHeavily is correct, anyone for 38?
<@Arivia> nevermind then I just wanted to bid dareon up
<@Dagon> ok, sold for 37!

Endurance
<@Dagon> Time for the third phase of the Bidding War, the auction for the Endurance Attribute. Endurance is really the battery that drives all the other Attributes and Powers. Where each of the other Attributes is directly useful, Psyche for mental battles, Strength for wrestling, and Warfare for combat, Endurance is just a measure of how long you can hold out against anyone else.
<RulebookHeavily> So how important is Endurance?
<@Dagon> Endurance is, of course, the most important of all the Attributes.
<@Dagon> no response from MormonStarWars, 10 from RulebookHeavily, 20 from Dareon, and 20 from Arivia!
<@Dagon> Dareon and Arivia are tied for the most hardy! anyone want to go for 21?
<RulebookHeavily> I'll do 21 Dagon
<@Arivia> 22!
<Dareon> Oh snap, a surprise challenger!
<@Dagon> 22, do i hear 23?
<RulebookHeavily> MM, nope, I'm happy with my bid right now
<Dareon> Pass.
<@Dagon> sold to Arivia for 22!

Warfare
<@Dagon> Now to the close of the Bidding War, and the last Attribute Auction, for Warfare. Any combat that involves tactics or strategy, including fencing with swords or shooting with guns, is based on Warfare. The better the Warfare, the better the character will be as a soldier, sergeant, captain, general, or admiral. Unlike the other Attributes, where rank is pretty much a measure of raw power, Warfare is a measure of the character's skill.
<@Arivia> 22+35+40 = almost no points left
<RulebookHeavily> Let me guess, Dagon
<@Dagon> All together now…
<RulebookHeavily> Warfare is the most important attribute
<@Dagon> MormonStarWars bids N/A again, RulebookHeavily 25, Dareon 13, and Arivia 0
<RulebookHeavily> Who's king now?
<RulebookHeavily> :smug:
<Dareon> Not MSW, that's for sure.
<@Arivia> you've done this before haven't you
<@Dagon> don't let him steal this for 25, give me 26!
<@Dagon> going once...
<@Dagon> going twice...
<@Dagon> sold for for the low low price of 25
<RulebookHeavily> First in Warfare for a drat SONG, yesss

Tally:
code:
		Ariva	Dareon	Mormon	Rulebook
Psyche		40 (1)	10 (2)	 1 (3)	 0 (4)
Strength	35 (2)	37 (1)	Hum (3)	 0 (3)
Endurance	22 (1)	20 (3)	Hum (4)	21 (2)
Warfare		 0 (3)	13 (2)	Hum (3)	25 (1)

Remaining	 3	20	174	54
After the auction is over, people can buy up their ranks in secret, but whoever won the auction is still first. So, MormonStarWars, with his pile of points, could spend 39 more on Psyche and be rank 1.5. But he doesn't.

<RulebookHeavily> In the secret portion after chargen, I note I have spent 46 points. I spend 2 on each of the attributes I bid nothing on, then buy the ability to walk in Shadow for 50
<RulebookHeavily> I take literally nothing else, not even Stuff

I ask the others for suggestions for their characters:

<@Arivia> buy all the poo poo to make my amber person emma frost, tia

<Dareon> Give me some Pattern, but stick the rest of the points in something weird.

Ariva needs some points to do anything, but she is top in Psyche and Endurance, already pretty Emma Frost-y. We pick up some bad stuff and give her Power Word: Psychic Disrupt to try to give an edge against people with real powers.

quote:

HOW Bad is Bad? It's really bad. Every time something is left up to chance, your Game Master is going to have a look at your Stuff. Any Bad Stuff, and the Game Master is going to assume that "chance" just took a turn for the worst.

Dareon wants Pattern, but it is a whopping 50 points! That is way too much bad stuff, so we crack open the Shadow Knight book and he picks up Broken Pattern Initiate for 10, and builds a personal shadow, an slightly off-the grid place where he is in control:
Personal: 1 point
Communication Barrier: Pattern, 1 point
Guarded: 4 points
Control of Shadow's Destiny: 4 points

MormonStarWars is a regular guy, maybe the smartest man on our earth, but he still doesn't compare to even the most feeble Amberite. He has made a pact with the powers of Chaos, and picks up Advanced Logrus Mastery for 70, Advanced Shape Shifting for 65, Sorcery for 15, and Conjuration for 20. Hopefully these powers will be enough to keep him from being squashed like a bug by one of the Amberites, or by whatever Chaos creature he summons. Just in case, he picks up 4 points of Good Stuff too.

Final Tally:
code:
		Ariva		Dareon		Mormon		Rulebook
Psyche		40 (1)		10 (2)		 1  (4)		 2 (3)
Strength	35 (2)		37 (1)		Hum (4) 	 2 (3)
Endurance	22 (1)		20 (3)		Hum (4)		21 (2)
Warfare		 0 (3)		13 (2)		Hum (4)		25 (1)

Powers
		PWord: Psy	Broken		Advanced	Pattern (50)
		 Disrupt (10)	 Pattern (10)	 Logrus (70)
				Shadow		Advanced
				 Personal (1)	 ShapeShift (65)
				 No Pattern 	Sorcery (15)
				  Communication (1)
				 Guarded (4)	Conjuration (20)
				 Control of
				  Destiny (4)

Stuff
		Bad (-7)			Good (4)

Remaining	 0		0		0		0

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Dagon posted:

<@Dagon> It's the most important Attribute.

Stating that each attribute is the most important, is the most important part of Amber character creation.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Arivia was right, I've done this before. (Maybe you could tell from my review.)

In a by-the-book game, I'd say that MormonStarWars would have the hardest time, depending on how favorable his Good Stuff is in the GMs eyes. However, he has a lot of neat toys to play with and plan around and is very unpredictable, especially since no one else in the group would technically know he'd bought down to Human after chargen - and even then it's hard to know what tricks he has. He'll likely never win a direct confrontation with any of the others, and will work by proxy.

Arivia is pretty scary: if she gets into a mental duel, you can't even turn it into an endurance match because she'll win that too! She'll also win a lot of wrestling matches if it comes down to fists, and can bounce back from nearly anything you inflict on her. But it's very easy to escape her by just wandering into a parallel universe, which is a power the other three theoretically have at any time, and she'll need aid to get places. If she wants to force a confrontation, she'll have to do it in the Pattern-locked Amber where it's impossible to just shift away.

I feel pretty secure with what I did, although I misread things by one point which I would have used for other matters. No problem, though. I'm first in Warfare, meaning anything to do with tactics and swordfighting and leading armies, and I have completely consequence-free Pattern - I can wander into any adjacent universe, gather an army of loyal catmen and march on Amber in time for tea. I can outlast anyone except Emma Frost up there.

Dareon will want to wrestle. A lot. He has a hideyhole which is difficult to access and in which he controls destiny itself, so if he wants safety at a moment's notice he has it. His broken pattern, though, presents him with problems in maneuvering in Shadow: MormonStarWars and me could run circles around him if it came to a confrontation between us outside Amber, where Shadow walking of course doesn't work - but he wouldn't be able to hide, either. Most of his advantage simply comes in being the kind of guy who wrestles dragons without trouble.

Now if only the rest of the game was as fun as the auction.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
This is mostly reminding me that i've had an unread copy of Nine Princes in Amber on my bookshelf since being on a Zelazny kick a year ago, which I think was actually provoked by that FATAL review.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Okay, so even though I already made a few Powers & Perils characters for you assholes

Snergli the Dwarf and Owain the Wizard

...I will now make a third Powers & Perils character for your enjoyment and my mental dissolution. My full Powers & Perils write-up is here.

Why am I doing this? Because for all its flaws (its many, many flaws), I just can't quit this loving game. A small, shameful, pathetic part of me regrets never being able to run it - I've never been able to in the past, and I have too much compassion in my heart to inflict this on my friends. :qq: Also, among all the acronyms, algebra, and tables, there are some genuinely clever ideas here.

FYI, unlike the first run, I am using a fan-made mild cleaned-up of the rules which incorporated all the errata. Sadly, this means I can no longer become a Super-Elf by being tall enough. For a name, we'll go with Lorona.

1) Section 1.1 Characteristics, as background

Just an explanation, nothing to see here. Move along.

2) Section 1.11 Native ability. Before selecting your race, read section 1.4 and the descriptions of the Elf, Faerry, and Dwarf that are listed in Book 3.

Because I already made a Dwarf and a Human, here I will make an elf. I will make a female elf to deal with the casual sexism and grogginess of this early 80's masterpiece. Because I am an elf and the book tells me to, I go to Section 1.4.2 and find out. And once again, Powers & Perils does not gently caress around when it gets to complexity.

quote:

Elves have the following skills:
A) Mana Sensing MEL2, EL dependent on the Character.
B) The ability to hide invisibly in any forest. The EL equals W+Em or 80, whichever is less. The EL is used to determine the chance that they are not observed if the person that they are hiding from is aware that something is present. Success indicates that they remain hidden. Any other result means that their presence
is discovered.
NOTE — This skill is primarily useful against creatures whose primary sense, for observing their environment, is sight. Where his is not the case, or where magic is used to detect the Elf, the skill is relatively useless.
C) EL80 in the tongue of the Elf Sidh. EL60 in the tongue of the Faerry Sidh. If the Elf is a trained magician, EL80 in the tongue of the Sidh.
D) Innate ability to enter the Upper and Lower Worlds. Determine EL based on the Elf’s characteristics. MEL equals the Elf’s MEL as a magic-user, or 2, whichever is higher.
E) The maximum EL currently possible in Forest Survival.
F) The ability to read the intent of others, as for Empathic Power. Treat as an Innate Power. The EL equals Em/10 rounded down.
1.4.2.2 Special
Elves cannot be affected by Sidh Migic. They are afflicted by Iron. Any damage caused by Iron or Steel weapons is increased by two hit points, after AV subtraction, if the net damage scored is greater than zero. All Elves have a minor affliction to light. Reduce both the OCV and DCV by 50%, rounded up, when they are fighting in magical light or daylight. Any light power will score its normal damage plus its EL when the target is an Elf. Light that does not have a normal damage effect will not damage an Elf in any way. All Elves double their MDV in defending against Elder and Balance magic. Elves do not make plate armor or platemail. Elven chainmail, AV4, is very rare. Commonly, it is only worn by Elven kings. Any armors that they do make will have an AV one level higher than standard human armor and weight 20% less, rounded up. Elves will never wear, use or willingly touch any item that is made out of Iron or Steel. The metal items that they make are made of alloys that do not contain any Iron whatsoever.
...which is followed by a special Elven Items table, which I think before I'd need to visit the Monster Book III to find. So that's an improvement.

I'll take an aside here to "clear up" (:roflmao:) some of the acronyms here.

MEL = Magic Experience Level. Powers & Perils characters have separate Magic and Combat Experience Levels (CEL), which actually ends up kind of cool. Every character has levels in both.
EL = Expertise Level. This is specific proficiency in a skill or spell.
AV = Armor Value; basically what it says on the tin.
OCV/DCV = Offensive and Defensive Combat Values, which are mostly (if memory serves) derived from your CEL plus a few other factors; these are used to determine which line you use on a chart for your attacks.

All of this poo poo will need to be calculated later. For now, just know ... this is going to be a hell of a ride.

So now I get to roll stats for Lorona! In order, I roll 2d10 10 times.

pre:
10#2d10: 10 # 
Strength     16 [2d10=8, 8] 
Stamina      16 [2d10=9, 7] 
Dexterity    17 [2d10=7, 10] 
Agility      11 [2d10=7, 4] 
Intelligence  8 [2d10=1, 7] 
Will         19 [2d10=10, 9] 
Eloquence     5 [2d10=2, 3] 
Empathy      11 [2d10=4, 7] 
Constitution  6 [2d10=5, 1] 
Appearance   11 [2d10=5, 6]
...which frankly isn't bad at all. Lorona has high physical stats (...for now...) and a hell of a good Will, which means I'll make a good Shaman if I'm allowed to be a Shaman.

Now I get to modify them by my race and sex modifiers.

If you're saying to yourself, "Wait, why are men smarter than women?" then welcome to Powers & loving Perils

Now, my stats look like this:

pre:
10#2d10: 10 # 
Strength     16 -3 = 13 
Stamina      16 -2 = 14
Dexterity    17 +2 = 19
Agility      11 +2 = 13
Intelligence  8 +2 = 10
Will         19 +2 = 21
Eloquence     5 +2 =  7
Empathy      11 +1 = 12
Constitution  6 -1 =  5
Appearance   11 +2 = 13
3) Section 1.111 Constitution and Appearance
Here's where things start getting hosed up. We get multipliers for stats. My elf maid is already looking really sickly with her 5 constitution, so it's the game's chance to gently caress me over a bit more. I roll 1d10 for each, then reference another table for my stat multiplier.

I roll... 4 and 8. The 4 for Constitution gives me a Constitution total of (5 * 2.5) rounded up for 13. The 8 in appearance means I'm like a super hot elf girl, and 13 * 5 = 65. Unlike for my other stats, these are both my Current and Maximum scores. We'll get to what that means in a few steps, I think.

4) Section 1.13 Age and Station
Powers & Perils gives you a few steps where you can, completely by random chance, gently caress up your entire character before play. This is one of them. A low enough Age and you're screwed.

I roll 1d100 for each. Ouch. 27 and 39. That gives me a starting age of 20, and a Station of 1, or "Free man, common soldier, servant, common barbarian warrior, or artisan" with a coin type of 2CC.

5) Section 1.2 Special Events, if desired. As required by the result in this section, see 1.21 and/or 1.22. If a castable power results, as a Special Attribute, see section 13 and the steps for an Innate Magic User that follow in this note.
gently caress yeah, Special Events! This is my favorite part of this whole loving process. Your rolls on this table can give you superpowers, let you break the game in half, or turn your stolid warrior into a useless husk before the game starts. Being 20, I narrowly qualify for two special events. I elect to roll both of them. 82 and 88. :dance: Powers & Perils character-making veteran I am, I know that most doubles here qualify you for a roll on the Special Attribute table, and this one's no exception. That's where the REALLY hosed up stuff is hiding.

First, though...

82 You have a Magic Item. The Referee will determine what it is. in a long, drawn out and asinine process of rolling on a bunch of tables Sweet! Magic item!

And now for my Special Attribute. I roll d100 again hoping for something loving game-breaking. You may or may not recall that Snergli, my dwarf, became an emotional cripple at this point instead of a superhero, so I'm a bit nervous.

I roll a 45. table...table...table Shape Changer (!?!)

quote:

1.2.2.1.24 Shape Changer - A limited form of the spell. The Character is capable of taking the form of a specific type of creature or animal for any duration desired without the expenditure of mana. He is not required to possess any portion of that animal to make the change. He does not have the power to change into any other form of animal. The animal that he can take the form of is at the Referee’s discretion.
All Shape Changers will have the Animal Power talent for the creature that they can take the form of. When a threat exists to that creature, fury will result without any chance of controlling it. The Character will always take his animal form when furious.

1.2.2.1.2 Animal Power - The Character can communicate with a specific species of animal. (The species is determined by the Referee, selected by the player or rolled randomly). At the subconscious level, the Character is a Tonah of the species. He will be treated as such by it. When they are threatened or attacked, the Character will suffer Uncontrollable Battle Fury against the attacker unless he rolls less than or equal to his Will. The fury will last as long as the threat to “his” creatures lasts.
Believe it or not, this is one of the easier magic things I could be doing.

loving awesome! We'll say I'm a were-eagle, okay? For reference, here's the Shape-Changing spell. And to blow your loving mind, the Eagle stat block.

Note that I don't change my Hit Points, OCV, or DCV which means Powers & Perils sometimes has a better sense of shape-changing balance than 3e D&D.

So at this point I'm picturing a were-eagle ... archer? Probably Archer, but maybe a shaman of sorts, too, if that's allowed.

...and that's why I loving love Powers & Perils. Next post, it will all come crashing down as it assaults me with math of every kind.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Double Cross

Last time we figured out our character's background, this time we're going to put together the mechanical parts.

Oh yeah, I should probably name this guy, huh? Let's go with Koji Fujikoma.

The first thing we do is pick our Breed and Syndrome. A Syndrome is one of the following power sets:
  • Angel Halo is all about light manipulation. Illusions, darkness control, lasers, lightsabers, that kind of thing.
  • Balor is gravity manipulation, with fun abilities like making things heavier or lighter, increasing a weapon's mass, and folding space.
  • Black Dog lets you control electricity, and/or install cybernetics in yourself.
  • Bram Stoker is countrol over your own blood, allowing you to heal yourself and others, make blood whips, and create little homonoculi out of your blood.
  • Chimera lets you change parts of your body into animal parts. Grow claws, sprout wings, and get the strength of a gorilla all at the same time.
  • Exile is the full-on Platic Man stuff. Alter you appearance, ooze under doors, and gross people out.
  • Hanuman boils down to super-speed and vibtrational control. Run faster than the eye can follow, hit people with sonic booms, and create your own fight soundtrack for bonuses.
  • Morpheus lets you create objects (like swords and guns) out of nearby matter, or alter existing items (like turning any car you enter into a mech).
  • Neumann makes you a super-genius. Direct allies in combat by calculating the optimum move, figure out weak spots in the enemy's armor, and just be a general know-it-all.
  • Orcus is a weird one; it lets you create an area around yourself called your Domain, and in your Domain reality follows your rules. Make street signs come to life and attack your foes, open chasms under their feet, or have a wall jump in front of an attack for you.
  • Salamandra is the most straighforward: you control heat. You can either create it as fire to attack people with, or subtract it for instant ice sculptures and armor.
  • Solaris makes you a walking chemical and pheremone factory. Charm or paralyze your foes, alter their body chemistry to heal or poison them.

Each Syndrome has a bunch of powers available under it. The number of Syndromes you have access to is your Breed. Pure-Breeds only get one Syndrome, but their powers have a higher level cap, and there are some powers that are only available to Pure-Breeds. Crossreed has two Syndromes, but no bonuses or penalties apart from a larger pool of powers. A Tri-Breed has three Syndromes, but doesn't have access to all the powers in each Syndrome.

Powers come in two categories: Normal and Simple. Normal powers make up the bulk of your options, and are mainly the combat-related stuff, and Simple powers are non-combat abilities or things you can just "do". There are also "Common Powers" which are available to everyone, but they're mostly things like stat boosts and such.

Since I've already established that this guy was pretty destructive his first time out, let's do Crossbreed with Morpheus (so I can make weapons out of thin air) and Salamandra (so I can set them on fire).

Next, I pick my Work and Cover. Work is your main job, and your Cover is what everyone thinks you do. Your Work and Cover can both be the same if you don't want to worry about a secret identity type thing. There are about 50 jobs, so let's say my Work is "UGN Agent" and my Cover is "Driver". So he focuses on doing secret agent stuff most of the time, but his "Day job" is a cabbie.

Now that we have our Syndromes and Work, we can figure out our stats. There are four base stats: [Body], [Sense], [Mind], and [Social]. Each stat has four skills under it.

Each Syndrome has a base stat array, with each stat getting 0 to 3 points. Pure Breeds take that array and double it, Crossbreeds add the arrays for both Syndromes, and Tri-Breeds have to pick two of they Syndromes as their "Main" Syndromes and add those arrays together.

In addition, your Work will give you one stat point depending on the job. Some jobs have multiple lines for different stats, so a UGN Agent can choose to focus on one of each stat.

If you're doing Construction, you get three points to put where ever you want, as long as no stat is 0. We're using Full Build, though, so we don't get the free points.

The stat array for Morpheus is 1-2-0-1, and Salamandra's is 2-0-1-1. I took the UGN Agent option that increases Body by 1, so Koji's stats are Body 3, Sense 2, Mind 1, Social 2.

Our work also gives us three or four skills. Being a UGN Agent gives us one level each of <Melee>, <Dodge>, <Renegade Control>, <Procure>, and <Info: UGN>. "Renegade Control" (or "RC") is used to control some powers, and "Procure" is getting items. And yes, stats and skill names are in those brackets. Again, if we were doing Construction we'd get some free points to spend.

The way stats and skills work is that to do something, you roll a number of d10's equal to the stat appropriate to the action, take the highest die, and add any levels you have in the skill. If you roll any 10s, you roll those again and add to find the highest die.

Once all that's done, Full Build gives us 130 XP with which to buy powers, stat points, and skills. Stats cost 10 XP per point up to 10, skills cost 2 XP per level up to level 10, Normal powers cost 15 points for the first level, then 5 points for each level after that, and Simple powers cost 2 poitns to buy and 2 points per level.

First off, no matter how you make your character, you get two powers for free. Resurrection lets you come back from being Incapacitated (a.k.a. "anime dead") at the cost of a big increase in your Encroachment Rate. Warding is a little more complex. When you use it, every Overed in the area is able to sense each other, and all non-Overeds either pass out or flee the scene. Basically it's the move you use to clear out the civilians for the fight scene.

So let's buy some powers!

The Morpheus power Infinite Weapons lets me create melee weapons out of thin air. The weapon lasts for one combat (but I can always make more), and the weapon's strength depends on the power's level. I'll spend 15+5+5=25 points for level 3, which makes a weapon as strong as a two-handed sword. It doesn't have to be one; it can look like whatever I want.

I'll also take the Penetrate power, which allows me to make an attack that ignores armor at the cost of a little accuracy by altering the shape of the weapon in mid-swing. And yes, I can use this power on something I made with Infinite Weapons. Penetrate only has one level, so that's another 15 points.

And because I can, I'll buy one level of Vehice Morph, which lets me turn any car or motorcycle I get in into a super vehice. Because anime, that's why.

Now for some Salamandra stuff. Flame Blade lets me coat a weapon in fire for one attack, increasing my attack value by twice the power's level, so let's get three levels for another 25 points. I'll also take the Ice Shield power, which gives me a bonus when defending (but not when I dodge). I'll just take two levels of that for 20 points.

I'll also buy a few Simple powers since they're cheap. Almighty Instrument lets me create mundane items out of thin air, such as crowbars, cell phones, or small houses. Ultimate Chef does the same thing, but with food. Heat Perception lets me see thermals and read people's body heat, and Perfect Room Tempurature does what it says on the label.

So far we've spent 83 points on powers, so let's buy some stats and skills. Increasing Body to 4 and Sense to 3 costs 20 points, and three levels of <Melee>, two levels of <Dodge>, and three levels of <Ride: Four Wheels> leaves us with 11 points left over. Might as well increase Social by 1, and just suck up the last XP.

Now, normally we'd calculate Stock Points, which is the game's way of tracking funds. It's double your Social plus double your <Procure>; Koji has 8 Stock points, but given that he can create food, shelter, comfortable living conditions, mindane items, weapons, and armor out of nearby matter he doesn't really need to buy too much. Well, except for the fact that using his creation powers increases his Encroachment, of course. Still, let's grab a knife and armored clothing for 2 Stock points.

Now, normally you can only use one power per turn. But, if you have two or more powers with the same action type (Major/Minor/Move) and skill, then you can combo them together to get all the benefits of all the powers as one action. So I can combine Flame Sword and Penetrate (both Major actions, both key off <Melee>) for any attack I make with a melee weapon to get the attack bonus from Flame Sword, and Penetrate lets me ignore the target's armor.

The best part? Combos are free. As long as the powers can work together, you're good. No extra XP cost, no limited number of slots, you don't even need to create them in advance. All you really need to do is give it a cool-sounding name.

Lastly, we do derived values. Hit points are [Body]*2 + Mind + 20, Initiative is [Sense]*2 + [Mind], Movement is Initative+5 meters as a Move action, and Dash is double your Move as a Major action.

And we're done! I know this seems long, but really the hardest part is recording all your power information.

Here's Koji's final character sheet. He's a bit of a one-trick pony, but that trick will gently caress you up if it hits.

pre:
= Life History = 
Origin: Poor (Grew up in the bad part of town)
Experience: Headline News (My first manifestation of my powers and resulting fight destroyed a city block; nobody knows I was responsible)
Encounter: Peer (Tsubaki Tamano is training me in use of my powers)

Awakening: Sacrifice (A gang was threatening my family. They won't do that again.)
Impulse: Battle Lust

Lois 1: Friend (Acceptance*/Alienation) - Guy I grew up with who's making good, but is sort of leaving me behind.
Lois 2: Reporter (Obsession/Fear*) - He's on my trail because he thinks I had something to do with the destruction of a city block.
Lois 3: Tsubaki Tamano (Aspiration*/Pity) - I like that she focuses on training us, but it can't be easy for her.

Base Encroachment Rate: 36
Current Encroachment Rate: 36

= Stats =
[Body] 4 - <Melee> 4, <Dodge> 2, <Ride: Four-Wheel> 3
[Sense] 3
[Mind] 1 - <RC> 1
[Social] 2 - <Procure> 1

Hit Points: 29/29
Intiative: 7
Move/Dash: 12/24
Stock: 8
Available Stock: 6

= Items =
Armored Clothing, Knife

= Powers =
Resurrect 1, Warding 1
Infinite Weapons 3, Penetrate 1, Vehicle Morph 1, Flame Blade 3, Ice Shield 2
Almighty Instrument 1, Ultimate Chef 1, Heat Perception 1, Perfect Room Tempurature 1

= Combos =
Plasma Edge: Flame Blade + Penetrate

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ok, so I'm gonna do a Mekton Zeta mech. However, I can't decide whether I should just make one up on my own, emulate an existing mecha of some kind, or have goons provide me a loose set of design goals/requirements like it was a military contract bid.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't you need at least Shadow rank Endurance to survive Logrus initiation?

Anyway, tomorrow I think I shall guide some suckers volunteers through Synnibarr 2e character creation. 3e is not in the cards until I force myself to sit down and puzzle out the goddamn book and I have too many other things to do with my time that aren't a huge pain in the rear end.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Let's actually roll 3d6 six times in order, Part 1

Hell yeah we're doing this.

code:
Steps to creating a character:
1. Roll for ability scores
2. Choose a character class
3. Adjust ability scores
4. Roll for hit points
5. Roll for money
6. Buy equipment
7. Determine other numbers and rolls
8. Note adjustment for ability scores
9. Choose character alignment
10. Select Name, Personality and Background
11. Determine character weight and height
12. Earn experience
Alright, sounds good!

Step 1

The stats in RC (and therefore Basic) D&D are the familiar six, but they are in a different order: Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, Charisma. What's our character look like?

code:
Strength     14 
Intelligence 11
Wisdom       15
Dexterity    14
Constitution 9
Charisma     10
Well. Our character doesn't have good CON at all.

Step 2

Character classes have Prime Requisites, and some have attribute minimums. Prime Requisites are basically "what stat is most important to this character". Fighters have Strength, Clerics Wisdom, Magic-Users Intelligence and Thieves Dexterity.

However, this is Basic D&D, and you might have noticed there's no "choose a race" step. That's right, we're in race-as-class territory! We qualify for a Dwarf (minimum Con 9, PR Strength), an Elf (Int 9, PR Strength AND Int) and for a halfling (Dex and Con 9, PR Strength AND Dexterity).

If we want something more exotic, we also qualify for a Mystic, this game's equivalent of the Monk, because we have Wisdom and Dexterity 13. Its PRs are Strength and Dexterity. In other words, we qualify for every class in the book that doesn't need levels in another class to play (as the Druid does). What do we choose?

Well, we don't have the INT for it, but The People (in IRC) wanted Elf, so that's what I'll do.

Not from this book but c'mon, look at it. This was official D&D art at one point.

Not having the INT matters less than you'd think due to the next step. So what does an Elf do? For starters, it's not a Human class, but a "Demihuman" class. Demihumans (Elves, Dwarves, Halflings) have limited advancement compared to humans but tend to have interesting abilities to make up for it (except for Halflings, who kind of suck) or are more survivable. The Elf vital statistics are:

code:
Prime Requisites: Strength and Intelligence. Other requirements: Intelligence score of 9 or more.
Experience Bonus: 5% for Strength of 13 or better and Intelligence of 13-15, 
10% for Strength of 13 or better and intelligence of 16-18.
Hit Dice: 1d6 per level up to 9th level: 10th level, +1 hit point, and Constitution adjustment does not apply.
Maximum Level: 10.
Armor: All shields permitted.
Weapons: Any.
Special Abilities: Fighter Maneuvers (Lance Attack, Set Spear VS Charge; 
At 850.000 XP, Combat Options for Fighters: 
Half damage from dragon breath at 1.600.000 XP; 
Infravision; 
Extra languages (elf, gnoll, hobgoblin, orc); 
1 in 3 chance to detect secret and hidden doors; 
immunity to ghoul paralysis; 
Magic spells.
Good lord that special abilities line is long. Most classes have like, one thing. We are a fighter/mage who can detect secret doors, speak a bunch of languages and die to a slightly stiffer breeze than Magic-Users do. As you can also see, characters can earn bonus XP for having high stats. This is a commonly omitted rule in games because it's blatantly unfair, buuuuut! There is one thing we can do to help.

Step 3

Let's adjust our starting ability scores! What does that mean? Well, we can trade two points from any non-Prime Requisite score we don't want to gain one point in a Prime Requisite. The caveats are that we cannot lower our Dexterity, Constitution or Charisma (Dex and Con so we don't accidentally screw ourselves over, Charisma because that's what munchkins who don't appreciate true roleplaying do) and we can't lower any score below 9.

We have a Wisdom score we're doing absolutely nothing with. We can lower it to 11 to raise our Intelligence to 13, enough to get that 5% bonus XP. As an Elf, we'll need it: we need 4000 experience to get to level 2, compared to around 1500-2000 for other characters. 13 is also coincidentally the mark we need to get a bonus for a high ability score, but I'll get to that later. I could also raise Strength to 15, but there's no point, so I leave off here for now. Here's our new scores:

code:
Strength     14 
Intelligence 13
Wisdom       11
Dexterity    14
Constitution 9
Charisma     10
So basically, it doesn't matter if you don't get exactly what you want: you can probably move things around and adjust to get that 18 you really, really want (if you're human) or at least not be a dumb Elf within the trade restrictions.

Step 4

Roll for hit points. Our hit die is 1d6. We get no bonus from Constitution (since it's not 13). I roll 5. Nice.

Step 5

Roll for Money. Unlike other D&D versions, every character has the same money roll: 3d6, multiplied by 10, in gp. I roll an 8, for a total of 80 gold pieces.

Step 6

Let's go SHOPPING!

Let's play D&D!

First I'll ask my DM which first level spell I know. Yes, I only get one. So do Magic-Users. It's a bit of a bum deal! But at least memorizing your spells for the day is easy when you're a new player. Hey DM!

Yeah?

What spell do I get?

Uh, poo poo, Uh... *roll* You get Shield.

code:
Range: 0
Duration: 2 turns
Effect: The spellcaster only

This spell creates a magical barrier all around the spellcaster (less than an inch away). It moves with the spellcaster.
While the duration lasts, the spellcaster has an AC of 2 against missiles, and AC 4 against all other attacks.
If someone shoots a Magic Missile at a spellcaster protected by this spell, the spellcaster may make a saving throw vs.
spells (one saving throw per missile). If the saving throw is successful, the magic missile has no effect: it hits the
barrier and evaporates.
Useful. Did you roll a d12? There are thirteen spells on the first level list.

The thirteenth is ventriloquism. gently caress ventriloquism.

Okay then! Let's move on to buying crap. I have eighty gold. I'll want a weapon or two, maybe a shield (I can wear those!), and some general stuff.

Rope, Sack (Large), Waterskin: 4gp
Shoes and Clothing (Nope, not for free): 9gp. Not having shoes can impose nonspecific "penalties", so don't go without.
Backpack: 5gp
Lantern: 10gp
Rations, iron, one week: 15gp

Whoah, blown through half my gold. Why is everything so expensive in gold? Well, in the Rules Cyclopedia setting of Mystara, the actual official answer is that planets that D&D takes place on have more gold in them because it's more fun that way. Weapons now:

Bow, Short: 25gp
Arrows (20): 5gp

I'd buy a longbow except it's 40 freaking gold. I can't afford a shield (I only have 7gp left), but a short sword costs exactly that so that'll be my backup weapon. And now I'm totally broke!

Imagine rolling a fighter and having to forego clothing and shoes for armor. Fun.

Step 7

"Determine other numbers and rolls". What? Well, it means noting down your armor class, saving throws and attack bonus.

AC: 8. The base AC is 9, and this is a system where lower is better. I get -1 AC for having good Dexterity, but wear no armor.

And now, saving throws.

code:
Death Ray/Poison        12
Magic Wands             13
Paralysis/Turn To Stone 13
Breath Attack           15
Rod/Staff/Spell         15
Don't knock these throws. I have to roll that number or higher to avoid effects from Bad poo poo. Elves have better saving throws than all three human classes do, excepting maybe the Fighter. Incidentally, if we had high Wisdom, we'd add its modifier to this table, and it's the only stat where this is the case. Clerics get to be pretty boss frontliners.

Our attack bonus is THAC0! Oh yes, it's that mythical beast. Lower is once again better (it's the number required to hit Armor Class zero, after all), and it's not that complic

:stare:

Okay, well, let's be fair. These tables are for when you don't want to do the math. You can just write down your THAC0 (say 19) and then subtract your attack roll from this number. The resulting number is the AC you hit. So if I roll 16, I subtract that from 19 and hit AC of 3 or higher. And for the Basic game, the table is just one line long for newbies to look up. The character sheet even had a space for you to write your own.

THAC0 is still pretty dumb. Our Elf has the same THAC0 as a first level fighter, or 19. Because we get a Strength bonus to melee and a Dexterity bonus to ranged combat, and they're both the same, our effective THAC0 is 18. Practically a sharpshooter, us.

Step 8

Here we're supposed to note adjustment for our ability scores. This step should have come much earlier: You'll note that I refer to it over and over again before I even get to this step. Hell, it should have been step three or four. We have penalties in nothing and all our stats that are 13+ have +1, so that was easy. It's worth noting that the progression is a bit strange: You don't get +2 until you reach 16, and you don't get +3 unless you have 18. Human characters have a much easier time getting to eighteen, as noted, and not getting an eighteen isn't a huge setback.

For Intelligence we get a bonus language, on top of our starting two (Common and X) and our bonus languages for being an Elf (Elf, Orc, Hobgoblin, Gnoll). I guess our final two can be... I dunno, Thyatian and Darokinian, languages which I totally just made up and have no bearing on future posts.

Step 9

There are only three alignments: Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic. They only roughly correspond to good/evil. What's most important is the Alignment Language, which is a secret language only people of your own alignment know and by which you can communicate even across cultural barriers. Much has been written to mock these, but I'm fond of them. For one thing, particularly intelligent crows can learn to speak Neutral, and that's neat. We're Chaotic, because elves "frolic" (actual quote).

Step 10

Name Personality, Background? Er, we are... Melf...ina, a High Elf, from Alfheim. Yeah, that'll do.

Step 11

Oh goody, height and weight charts. This is the only place where gender dimorphism enters the picture in this edition, thank goodness. We don't randomly roll: We pick a height, and are given a corresponding weight. We are five feet tall, and as a woman we weight... 800cn?

Yeah, weight in this game isn't measured in pounds but in coins. We are eight hundred coins heavy. Why? Because earning XP in this game entails getting one experience point for every gold piece you bring back, and it's easier to measure weight with coins when that's important. I guess. Having a strong fighter in your party can outright mean earning more experience. Ten coins approximate to one pound though, so we're 80 pounds.

Step 12

Earn experience! That means going out and playing the character, so we're done here-

Not so fast!

Oh god, are you making me do optional rules?

Hey, don't knock it 'till you tried it.

Okay, so we're doing Proficiencies as well. Normally, classes just have a set of armor and weapons they are allowed to wear/use and that's it. That changes with the Proficiency system. The first one is called Weapon Mastery. Normally, this entails getting "Weapon Choices" and spending them on weapons to not suck at them. However, we are a Demihumans. Demihumans are long-lived and automatically know all their allowed weapons at a Basic level, which means I attack normally with all weapons at no penalty.

Suck it, humans.

But what can I do when I start earning more choices? Well, let's say I level up my Bow Mastery. Mastery has six levels, from 0 to 5: Unskilled, Basic, Skilled, Expert, Master, Grand Master. Each type of weapon has its own mastery table. For bows, each master level nets me increased range, for starters. As I level up, just wielding a bow grants me Armor Class bonuses (against a set number of attacks: at Grand Mastery, this is -2 AC versus up to two melee attacks per round). The damage increases steadily from 1d6+1 to 1d8+1 and so on up to a full 4d4+2 against people who are wielding melee weapons and 1d10+2 versus missile enemies.

The Long Bow also gets an interesting ability called Delay, which forces enemies to make a save or lose initiative during combat. This essentially forces them to always go last if you hit and successfully Delay them, turning you into a skirmishing kind of support character. Other weapons get effects like automatically parrying a certain number of melee attacks, instantly knocking people unconscious paralyzing/killing people by strangling them... Jeez. Why do fighters not get awesome crap like this in other D&Ds?

In any case, I get no further picks.

The second half of this system is General Skills. You might have noticed this game hasn't had a skill system so far, and the reason is simple. Ability scores cover everything. If you want to do something, the DM picks an appropriate ability score and you roll a d20 and try to roll equal to or under it, and if you do you succeed. What this General Skills system does is to grant you +X bonuses to specific types of tasks, so for instance with my INT 13, if I had two skill points in chess I'd have to roll 15 or lower to succeed at... chess. Because that's how chess works. Shut up.

All characters start with four picks. Melfina here gets an additional one because she has Intelligence 13, or a +1 bonus. And, interestingly, the skills table is not exhaustive. Sure it has stuff like acrobatics and hunting and gambling and other things, but if you want a speciality that isn't on there, just make one up (but ask your DM first).

drat straight.

Melfina is an Elf, so I pick Stealth (Forest) +2, Blind Shooting +2 (this skill just removes the penalty for shooting blind on a successful skill check; there's a Blind Fighting one too) and for funsies she also gets Nature Lore +1.

And that's how you make a Rules Cyclopedia Elf. But this is faaaar from being the limits of what this system does for character creation. Stay tuned for Part 2.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Zereth posted:

Don't you need at least Shadow rank Endurance to survive Logrus initiation?

"A character whose Endurance has dropped to Human level will not be able to safely manipulate the Logrus, and risks being absorbed by its dangerous instability."

MormonStarWars doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that is worried about safety. Anyway, its not really a hard rule as far as I'm reading it. Not that Amber has many of those to begin with.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rulebook Heavily posted:

And that's how you make a Rules Cyclopedia Elf. But this is faaaar from being the limits of what this system does for character creation. Stay tuned for Part 2.

I'm voting for a creature crucible character next (Gnome w/ fantasy physics? One of the vulture guys? A Kopru?!?) or BECMI's implementation of dual-class (Night Howlers lycanthrope, merchant class from Darokin or Ierendi.) Becmi could get weird!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I vote Treant from Tall Tales of the Wee Folk. That may just be because I have been looking at it.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Let’s make a starship captain!

There are some options to consider before generating the character proper and I’ll need your help for that.

First off we need to decide if we’re making a Male or a Female captain.

Then, we need to decide what race our eventual intrepid captain hails from. The choices are:

Andorians. Blue people.
Caitians furries Cat people.
Edoans Three-legged, three-armed people.
Vulcans Pointy-eared people.
Tellarite Pig people.
Humans People people.

Here is how their respective stats would be modified:

Next we need to figure out what branch of Starfleet they go into once they enter the academy. Do we want our captain to start out in:

Engineering where he’ll learn skills like Physics and Transporter technology
Helm where he’ll lean to Pilot shuttles and be good at Starship combat and tactics
Medical where he can learn Medicine and Psychology
Navigation where he will lean things like Electronics and Starship sensors
Security Where he’ll die horribly despite knowing skills such as Federation law and Small units tactics
Science Where he’ll learn Planetary ecology and Any other science skill

Finally we’ll need to give our boy or girl a hobby. Gimme a skill, any skill that they do for fun. You know, like Spock plays that weird harp thing, Scotty’s a drunk and Kirk has Sleep with green women as a core skill.

For example, you could say you wanted a : Male, Andorian, Science with the Knowledge: 20th Century Cooking Shows as a hobby.

I will roll your dream captain using the not-so-great FASA Star Trek: The Role-Playing Game system™

Edit: forgot the Tellarites...

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 21, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Female Vulcan Helmsperson with Music: Jazz Piano as a hobby

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

inklesspen posted:

Female Vulcan Helmsperson with Music: Jazz Piano as a hobby

Ok, Female, Vulcan, Helmsperson with Jazz Piano as a hobby.

The first step is to roll attributes. These are rolled in order by rolling 3d10 +40 and adding/subtracting the racial modifier. Luck and PSI are a bit different in that you simply roll a % dice and apply racial modifiers. For our Vulcan it goes as follows:

quote:

Strength: 3d10+40+20. Rolled 20 for a total of 80

Endurance: 3d10+40+10. Rolled 14 for a total of 64

Intelligence: 3d10+40+10. Rolled 13 for a total of 63

Dexterity: 3d10+40 unmodified. Rolled 26 for a total of 66

Charisma: 3d10+40 unmodified. Rolled 14 for a total of 54

Luck: d100-40. Rolled 96 (!) for a total of 56

PSI: d100 straight up. Rolled 62 for a total of 62
If any stat rolls generated a negative number, we would have raised it to a minimum of 1. We were allowed to go above 100 though. Once you’ve generated the attributes you get to roll a d100/2 and assign the points to any stat you want, up to a maximum of 99 total.

quote:

We rolled a 64/2 for a total of 32 points to assign. I chose to put 27 in INT raising it to 90 and the remaining 5 went in END, raising it to a total of 69.

Once attributes are generated, we need to choose Pre-Academy skills from the following list:

We then have to distribute skill rolls, trying as much as possible to put half our skill rolls in Personal Development skills and the other half in Education Background. Each skill roll is worth 1d10+5 and we can put as many rolls in the same skill as we want.

The number of skill rolls we get is 10 + 1/10 INT.

quote:

Our Vulcan has a 90 INT meaning that she will get 10+(INT/10) rolls, or 19 total rolls. Each for 1d10+5

We pick the following:

3x Artistic Ability (Music) for a final score of 34 (rolls of 4, 5 and 10)

4x Instrumental Music (Piano) for a final score of 41 (rolls of 6, 8, 5 and 2)

2x Trivia: Famous 20th Century Jazz Musicians for a final score of 28 (rolls of 10 and 8)

3x Atmosphere Craft Pilot for a final score of 33 (rolls of 9, 3 and 6)

3x Computer Operations for final score of 24 (rolls of 4, 4 and 1)

4x Astronomy/Astrophysics for a final score of 38 (rolls of 4, 6, 6 and 2)
The Academy

At age 18 the character enters the academy for 4 years. Everyone gets the same basic skillset in addition to their chosen field skills.

The basic skills are:

quote:

This doesn’t change anything for our character except that her skills in Astronomy/Astrophysics and Computer Operations are now raised to 48 and 44 respectively.
Since we chose Helm, these are the skills we get to have:

To complete the academy training, we get to raise any skills (not just the ones from the lists above) using the following formula: 10 skills rolls + 1 for any full 10 points above 50 in INT. Each roll is worth 1d10 skill points and multiple rolls can be assigned to the same skill.

quote:

Since our INT is 90 we get an extra 4 rolls in addition to the basic 10. The rolls are spread as follow:

2x Starship Helm Operations for a final score of 51 (we rolled 9 and 2 and had a base of 40)

3x Starship Navigation for a final score of 40 (we rolled 9, 6 and 5 and had a base of 20)

1x Instrumental Music (Piano) for a final score of 46 (we rolled a 5 and already had 41)

3x Starship Combat: Strategy/Tactics for a final score of 35 (we rolled 5, 2 and 8 and had a base of 20)

2x Shuttlecraft Pilot for a final score of 30 (we rolled 5 and 5 and had a base of 20)

3x Marksmanship (modern) for a final score of 40 (we rolled (4, 9 and 8 and had a base of 20)

This should give us a good base in our role as helmsperson.
This is our character sheet at this stage:

Next up: We’ll figure out where we get posted for our cadet cruise and begin our career proper.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

inklesspen posted:

I used to spend hours rolling up D&D 4E characters with the character builder (mostly psionic good-aligned Tieflings. I've got a type, I guess). I might do more of that for the thread, but first! When I get home tonight I'm gonna do a TimeWatch character and, if time permits, Legends of the Wulin.

For TimeWatch I would of course prefer to stat up Manse Everard, but it's been a while since I read Time Patrol and I don't have the firmest grasp on his character. Instead, I'd like to randomly roll for era, milieu and upbringing. Anyone have some tables covering "all of human history"? TimeWatch isn't so much on the random rolling.

For Legends of the Wulin, I will do my best to stat up any major character from the Giant Robo anime, or alternatively from Hero (the film with Jet Li), as chosen by you in this thread. I'm pretty sure this is in keeping with the spirit of this game.

Wikipedia would probably be your best bet for that. Just roll a d12 on the list of millennia then a d10 on the lists of centuries and decades. You're on your own for milieu and upbringing, though.

As for Legends of the Wulin, I'm honestly curious how you'd make a Giant Robo character in LotW. Seems like a weird combination, even though I don't actually know that much about Giant Robo.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Lets make a character for…

quote:

The year is 3200. Humanity is scattered like dust among the stars. The broken relics of a former day litter the sky and men and women struggle to rebuild the glory of humanity’s lost golden age.

quote:

In Stars Without Number you play the role of an interstellar adventurer. Whether a grizzled astrotech, lostworlder warrior, or gifted psychic, you dare the currents of space for the sake of riches and glory.

quote:

If you’ve been playing RPGs long enough, you’ll readily recognize much of this book. It draws a great deal of its inspiration from a slightly streamlined take on several 1970s-era RPGs. Which ones will be clear to most old-school readers, and this game would not be possible without the admirable example those games provided.
Yup, its old D&D in space. I've played it a couple of times now, and it is decent, but not without some problems. Combat ends up being pretty harsh, for one. It has some neat systems for creating worlds and factions, so we'll do those too.
Oh, and theres a free version of it too.

quote:

To generate a character’s attributes, 3d6 are rolled six times and the results are assigned to the attributes in the order listed on the table below.
Yay 3d6 in order! The order of attributes is the same as in old D&D: Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Cha.
code:
<skybot> 4 (3d6=1, 1, 2)
<skybot> 14 (3d6=6, 2, 6)
<skybot> 10 (3d6=1, 3, 6)
<skybot> 8 (3d6=2, 4, 2)
<skybot> 10 (3d6=4, 3, 3)
<skybot> 6 (3d6=4, 1, 1)
Wow. Antisocial clumsy nerd weakling coming through. We can remove a point from any attribute above 13 to raise anything below an 8 to an 8, but since we aren't swimming in 13+s I'll just let the dice fall where they may.
We then consult a table to find out what the modifiers for those numbers are, and hey, we get a +1 for our Int! 8-13 is average, so no modifiers there, and 4-7 is just a -1 for our Str and Cha. The ranges are thankfully pretty wide.
At the GM's discretion, since our modifiers total up to less than 0, we can reroll. Our GM is a dick though, so we are stuck with these.

Now we get to pick what we will be. The three classes are broad groups, and our Backgrounds and Training packages will further narrow this down.
Most importantly, we get to swap a stat to 14:

quote:

Every class has two attributes which are prime requisites. These are attributes which are very important to functioning in the class. For Experts, these are Intelligence or Charisma. For Psychics, they are Wisdom or Constitution, and for Warriors they are Strength or Dexterity.
Personally, I would probably go with Expert and swap that Charisma for two 14 stats. But, I'm going to leave it up to the thread to decide!

Decide our fate, Expert, Psychic, or Warrior!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

The Cadet Cruise

At the end of the academy, cadets go on a cadet cruise. The posting they get is rolled (1982 game design). You roll a % dice against the following table. You get better results if you’re lucky and/or smart.

quote:

We roll an 89, which is brought down by 5 because of our luck and by 10 because of our INT. The final result is 74 – we’re assigned to the Colonization Division for our cruise.
Note that where you get posted has no real bearing on skills or anything other than giving you some modifiers on the cruise’s results. Better postings will help get you promoted/get better results.

To find out how we did on our cadet cruise we roll a d100 and modify it using the table below:

quote:

We roll an unmodified d100 since our luck of 46 won’t help (or hinder) us here. We get a 56 meaning we passed and get assigned as an Ensign.
After completion of our cadet cruise we get 5 d10 skill rolls to any skills of our choosing.

quote:

We’ll raise Computer Technology x2 (new total is 31 – rolled 10 and 6), Language: Klingon x2 (new total is 25, rolled 10 and 5) and starship sensors x1 (new total is 25, rolled 5)
Having completed the cadet cruise, we’re now 22 and technically the game could begin. However we’ll use the rules that allow us to get our character to the rank of captain prior to play.

Since we want our character to eventually be a captain; that means we have to go to command school. Command school lasts 2 years, gives us an automatic promotion by one rank and gives us the following skills:

Our Vulcan is no 24, a Lieutenant JG and the next step is to figure out how many terms of service we had prior to being promoted to captain. To do so we roll a d10/2 on the table below. Having good luck and/or INT will reduce the number of terms it takes, however starting as a captain will increase that number.

quote:

we roll a d10/2 and get a 4. We then remove 1 since we’re smart (no change for our luck) but add 2 since we’ll be in command of a ship and another 2 since we’ll be a captain. This gives us a total of 7 terms served prior to the game starting
Each term will last 1 to 5 years (figured out by rolling 1d10/2) and we will move from one assignment to the next by rolling 1d100 using the table below:

quote:

Our first term: We roll 1d100 and get 17. Modified by -10 our INT, this gives us an assignment on a Constitution class ship! This term lasted 3 years (rolled a 6/2)

Our second term: We roll 1d100 (-10 for INT) and get a 39. We were in the colonization division for 5 years.

Our third term: We get a 79. Merchant Marine division for 5 years.

Our fourth term: We get a 36. Colonization division again for 3 years.

Our fifth term: We get a 14. Exploration division for 1 year.

Our sixth term: We get a 30. Military division for 5 years.

Our seventh and final term: We get a 05. Constitution class starship again for 5 more years.

Adding everything together we find that our Vulcan captain will enter the game at 51. If we had been above 110, we would have started to subtract 1d10 from every attribute for each full decade above 110 (above 50 for humans). Yes, that means that as you age you get dumber and unluckier…
All that’s left is to cumulate how many skill rolls we get to reflect all these years of experience. We do this by looking at the below:

quote:

In our case this means that we get to assign 27 (our years of service on post-academy) + 2 for INT + 4 for years/2 on Constitution class ships, for a total of 33 skill ups of 1d10 each. Not too shabby.
I won’t bore you even more with all those rolls. Suffice it to say this is the end result for our Vulcan captain:

quote:

Captain T’Pon « Jazzhands »
For comparison: Here’s Kirk’s sheet:

Done!

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Double Cross

Now, normally you can only use one power per turn. But, if you have two or more powers with the same action type (Major/Minor/Move) and skill, then you can combo them together to get all the benefits of all the powers as one action. So I can combine Flame Sword and Penetrate (both Major actions, both key off <Melee>) for any attack I make with a melee weapon to get the attack bonus from Flame Sword, and Penetrate lets me ignore the target's armor.

The best part? Combos are free. As long as the powers can work together, you're good. No extra XP cost, no limited number of slots, you don't even need to create them in advance. All you really need to do is give it a cool-sounding name.

You say two or more - is there any upper limit to how many powers you can combine? I'm assuming that if the powers increase your Encroachment Rate, you get the ER increase from all the ones in the combo?

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Shuffle Up and Draw! Let's Make a Character for Deadlands Classic

Deadlands is a game of cowboys and indians. And monsters. And mad scientists, and hex-slinging hucksters, and...

So let's make a character to try to survive the Weird West.

First off, we need our stats. Deadlands calls it's stats Traits and it's skills Aptitudes. Instead of them being numerically based (having Str 14, for instance), they're dice-based, from d4, to d6, up to d12 (so you might have Strength of 2d6). You roll xDy, with x as how many levels you have in a stat or skill, and y being the die type. Aptitude dice are based on their parent Trait - get a 3d10 Deftness, you'll have a d10 in Shootin', so all you'll need is to put a couple levels in it.

We have ten stats; five physical, five mental.

Physical:
  • Deftness: Hand-Eye coordination and manual dexterity. Mainly important for shooting guns and picking locks.
  • Nimbleness: Agility and physical prowess. This is used for melee combat, avoiding melee combat, riding horses, and such.
  • Quickness: Other than being quick on the draw, Quickness is primarily used for initiative, and determining how much stuff you can do in a combat round.
  • Strength: Primarily used to determine how much damage you do in melee combat.
  • Vigor: Your Constitution stat, used to fend off illness, poison, and helps determine how much of a whoopin' we can take.

Mental:
  • Cognition: General alertness and perception. How to spot ambushes, lies and track things.
  • Knowledge: Booklearning and experience. Covers non-gunslinging employment, and first aid and surgery.
  • Mien: Charisma, force of will. Used to make a desperado back down, tell tales at the campfire, or inspire/aid your friends in battle
  • Smarts: Wits, thinking on your feet. Lying, scrounging something up in a hurry, and survival skills (whether in the wilderness or on the mean streets)
  • Spirit: Spiritual presence, psyche. Only two associated Aptitudes here, Faith (your strength in a higher power - useful if you want to call down miracles) and Guts (keep your head when things get scary). It also works with Vigor to determine how much punishment we can handle.

So now we know what stats we have, let's generate them. Instead of a random roll, we have a random draw. Get a deck of cards, standard deck with two jokers, and deal yourself 12 cards. You can drop two cards except deuces and jokers. If we do draw a joker, the next card we draw goes on top of it. Each card represents a die type and a level:

pre:
Card   Trait
Deuce: d4
3-8:   d6
9-J:   d8
Q-K:   d10
Ace:   d12

Suit   Level
Clubs    1
Diamonds 2
Hearts   3
Spades   4
Jokers are Wild, they count as d12s, and the suit of the card we draw on top of it is used for it's Level. BUT, Jokers are Wild, and if we draw one, our character gets a Mysterious Past, something unusual or out-of-the-ordinary. The Marshall (Deadlands speak for the GM) draws a card, and determines what our Past is. So, let's deal us up a person:

pre:
Ace Hearts   3d12
Jack Dia     2d8
3 Spade      4d6
9 Diamond    2d8
Black Joker
/King Dia    2d12
4 Dia        2d6
7 Club       1d6
10 Club      1d8
9 Heart      3d8
Queen Heart  3d10
8 Heart      3d6
10 Dia       2d8
For our Mysterious Past, I drew a Six of Spades, which gives us the Sixth Sense. When there's hidden danger or an ambush up ahead, the GM secretly rolls for our character, and if he makes it, lets our character know something's rotten. So, dropping the 7 Club and 4 Diamond, we have stats to plug into our Traits. I'll take a break here, and ask the readers what type of character should I make - gunslinger? Saloon operator? Bounty Hunter? Gambler? Or something with magic to play with: Blessed, Shaman, Huckster, or Mad Scientist?

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 22, 2014

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Since I don't have enough writing projects I have way too many writing projects I thought I'd take some time and walk everyone through the life path system for Nobilis, 3rd Edition.

For those of you who don't know Nobilis, the basic concept is that your character is someone (or something) that's been empowered by a fundamental concept of reality: the sun, guns, sparks, boundaries, hats, waves, and so on. You're supposed to use your godly power to stop the Excrucians - bishie pretty boys from outside reality - from riding off with chunks of the world for mysterious purposes of their own.

Scheming against your fellow nobles is also high on the agenda, whether it's because their power opposes your own (Fire vs Water, for example) or because of a very human dislike of one another. You'll also spend some time fulfilling the bizarre wishes of your Imperator - the alien god-thing that gave you all this power in the first place - and having fancy tea parties.

Now, because this is one of the filthiest of filthy storygames - it doesn't even use dice! - the lifepath system is very visual and free-associative. Behold, the opening structure:

Your Estate is the 'thing' you are a power of. Hearts and Shadows are fancy terms we'll get to later.

Keys
The first step is to go through the list of 'keys', which are vague and portentous statements about your character, and pick two you like the sound of. There are sixteen keys, so I chose two at random. We get:

• 15: Oak. The Key of Something That Hasn't Changed
  • 1. Lotus Flower The Key of the Descending Angel

The Lotus Flower key is about showing up and transforming people into agents of your will. The Oak key is about never changing yourself. Each names a Heart and a Shadow, thus:

The Heart of a key is what it is - the thing that defines it as an active force. The Shadow of a key is... the narrative threat or conflict that comes along with being that sort of thing. From the description of the Oak: My Identity - the Heart - is about the unchanging nature at the core of your being. Crisis - the Shadow - is a force in the world trying to change you. The Heart of the Lotus Flower is My Power: the ability that makes you a force for change in people's lives. The Shadow, My Nature, is a quality that transforms people around you whether you want them to or not.

You pick a single bullet point that encapsulates your ideas for each Heart, and the Shadow bullet points are set by your key. The suggestions in the book for My Power are 'prophet', 'healer', or 'turns people into birds', so I'm going to take that last one verbatim. The points for My Nature are 'glorious' and 'set apart'.

For the Oak, My Identity is just a brief summary of who you are - examples are 'New York socialite', 'badger', 'Kansas farm-boy' or 'aristocrat' - and since I've been binging through the Ask Me About Growing Up With a Girl Who Believes She's Married to Anime Guys thread I'm going to make our character's identity 'hikikomori'. The Shadow circle remains empty for now.

Our character sheet so far looks like this:

So let's see what we've got so far: someone whose existence as a shut-in anime fan is the cornerstone of their nature, something which is trying to break them out of that shell, the power to transform people into birds, and a mighty glory that sets them apart.

Welcome to Nobilis!

Foundations
Next, we establish the principle nature of our character. There are four categories: are we principally defined by being something cool (and relatively normal); being in love with something; being something epic, inhuman and powerful; or being something weird. Each option is associated with four of the keys - both of ours are in 'something cool'. Choosing an option associated with one of your keys strengthens it, meaning you write an extra bullet point in the relevant Heart circle. Choosing a different option weakens one of your keys, meaning you get an extra bullet point in one of your Shadow circles.

I'm personally a big fan of epic, inhuman and powerful - but since both our keys are in something cool and I want to keep this character vaguely comprehensible to Nobilis newbies, I'm going to pick that. Our person is a relatively normal type who just happens to have a slice of vast power welded to her soul. Her problems are going to be normal-person-type problems, probably revolving around "What the hell has happened to me?" and similar questions.

Also, as 'something cool' strengthens both our keys, our free bullet point is a function both of our character's identity and their power - something about their being a hikikomori aids them in transforming others. Having racked my brain for shut-in tropes, I select 'totally a wizard, guys'. They know magic - real, actual magic in the world of Nobilis - and she can use it to transform others.

Into birds.

Your Estate
As I mentioned above, your Estate is the thing over which you have absolute control. You define your Estate according to the part of the world your Estate comes from (the light side of human experience, the dark side of human experience, the beautiful side of the world, the painful side of the world) and the kind of things which it contains (something you can point to, something you live, something you describe). Again, each option is linked to a bunch of keys, and strengthens or weakens your keys appropriately based on what you select.

You can pick your Estate in advance and select from the tables accordingly here, or you can pick from the tables and see if that suggests anything. Because I'm a terrible munchkin I want an abstract Estate - as a general rule the more abstract the Estate, the more powerful - and hikikomori makes me think of Enclosure. I bend the word around a bit and come up with Imprisonment. This strikes me as something you live, and something from the dark side of human experience.

Side note: This also implies that her turning people into birds is metaphorical rather than literal. She cages people.

Dark side of human experience strengthens Oak, so we get an extra bullet point in its Heart - I choose 'safe behind walls' to strengthen My Identity - and something you live hits neither of our keys, so I add a bullet point to one of the Shadows. 'Set apart' is already in My Nature, so I add 'need for human contact' to the Crisis of the Oak. Our character is safe and powerful when she's sealed away, but her human need for people to talk to threatens to break down the walls that give her strength.

If you're starting to get an idea of what this person's story is likely to be about in the game, that's intentional - the Nobilis lifepath system starts very vague and unerringly homes in on details, free-associating your way to a character with built-in conflicts and motivations. It's fantastic if you go in with nothing, or a very vague idea, but if you have a clear concept at the beginning you may find it forcing you in directions you don't want to go.

Anyway, check us out so far:

Origins
Now we're getting a better handle on who our character is likely to be - I'm going to name her Hitomi, since I hear that's a good name for doomed moon princesses or something - it's time to find out who she was.

Like the previous steps, you select from a bunch of tables and each selection will either strengthen or weaken a key. The first table has four broad options for your past, and the subtables narrow things down a bit. First we pick between a troubled life, a humble life, a blessed life, or an extraordinary life. A humble life seems most apt for our anime-obsessed shut-in, and it strengthens the Oak as well. I add 'just an ordinary girl' to My Identity. Hitomi draws strength from her normalcy in the face of high weirdness.

There are four 'legacies' of a humble life - things from before which continue to affect your character. These are:

• Love for the Ordinary: You still like ordinary things.
  • Alienation: You view your human life as something separate, and your new self as something else entirely.
  • Transformation: You're endlessly impressed with your new cool powers.
  • Freedom!: You never wanted to be ordinary - and now you're not! At last, your true destiny is revealed!

I choose Freedom for Hitomi - she's watched so many animes where the protagonist is a normal girl transported into a fantastic world, and now it's happened to her for real! She's ready to embrace her new powers and become someone great.

Freedom also strengthens the Lotus Flower, so I note down 'anime uplift' in My Power. When Hitomi transforms people she does so through an anime lens, making them beautiful, emotional, and wildly impractical. She makes them simultaneously awesome and ridiculous. :kamina:

Contacts
Every character gets one or two contacts - people or groups important to their life. The suggestion for the Oak is Mortal Friends and Family, which I like the look of. This strengthens the Oak, so I add 'family loves you, no matter what' to My Identity. The suggestion for Lotus Flower is an organisation, but I'm not really feeling that. After looking at the other options I choose Legacy - the idea that Hitomi has inherited a whole mess from some previous life. Since her mortal life was profoundly boring, it seems obvious that the previous power of Imprisonment was involved in some serious drama and now Hitomi is left to pick up the pieces.

After a bit of a think, I reckon that the previous power of Imprisonment 'escaped', somehow, destroying himself in a collision of concepts. The power grounded out through Hitomi and now, oops, she's responsible for saving the world from excessive freedom or something, and the people who previously loved/hated/owed/were owed by Imprisonment are in the process of transferring their opinions to her.

As this is neither Mortal Friends or an Organisation, it weakens one of Hitomi's keys. Clearly this is a Crisis for her identity, so I add 'not who I was' to the Shadow of the Oak.

Affiliation
Of the affiliations in Nobilis, the Song of Heaven seems most suitable for Hitomi. She believes in making things beautiful and making them just, and turning the world into a better reflection of Heaven. This strengthens the Lotus Flower so I add 'good is beautiful, evil is hot' to My Power. When Hitomi transforms people they tend to express their nature in their appearance.

Final Touches
You can choose up to two of the circles on your lifepath diagram to represent unresolved questions in your character's life. I pick My Power and ask the question 'Am I helping?' - is Hitomi's transformation of people into beautiful, badass versions of themselves actually useful? Does it make their lives better, or just louder?

Nothing else springs to mind, so I'll leave it at that. The final character diagram looks like this:

This is also the basic origin for 'levelling up' in as much as you can in Nobilis. Developments of Hitomi's character will branch off this diagram to describe further elements of her life or her plans to change it.

So who have we got? A socially-stunted anime fan who has, more or less by accident, gained the power of Imprisonment. Her need for human contact was already pulling her out of her shell, and the tangle of previous obligations that come with her power threatens to force a social life upon her, but the walls she builds are now a very real source of strength. When she reveals her true form she is glorious and transformative, but the transformations she effects are of dubious benefit to those around her. She honestly wants to make the world a better place, but it's entirely possible her nature is fundamentally aligned with loneliness and ridiculous anime expectations.

Hitomi is ready to drop into a game and bring her angst with her. Can she be the anime superhero she always wanted to be? Let's find out...

:siren: WHAT ABOUT THE NUMBERS? :siren:
Oh yeah, those.

The Nobilis lifepath system doesn't deal with numbers at all. It's just there to give you a sense of who the character is so you can tack numbers on later.

...I'll get some numbers done, shall I?

Passions and Skills
Passions and skills are the mortal way of getting things done. You get 8 points, and any number of negatives for passions that hurt you and skills that you're bad at. Negatives don't get you extra points, you just suck at them. I select Hitomi's to be these:

• Passion: Solitude (-2)
  • Passion: Anime (1)
  • Passion: Making the world a better place (2)
  • Skill: I come from the internet (3)
  • Skill: Hermetic magic (2)
  • Skill: Write fan-fiction (-1)

What does this mean? Well, the positive numbers mean that whatever it is is an active force for making Hitomi's life easier. Her passion for anime manifests as a tendency for anime and the love thereof to smooth the path of her life - perhaps she can smooth talk somebody by sharing reminiscences of Escaflowne, or win a fight by totally remembering a scene from Naruto.

With a rating of 3, her best bet to achieve her goals is to rely on things she learned on the internet. It's good enough that she can routinely impress people around her with her internetting. She's also pretty good at putting her trust in her will to improve the world - and lo, it gets better!

Oh, and she can use her hermetic magic skill to do impossible things by magic, like deflecting bullets or talking to the dead - but they're usually really difficult, so it's better to do possible things instead.

On the other hand her passion for solitude hurts her whenever she uses it. She wants to be alone, but being alone only ever makes her life worse! She also likes to write fan-fiction, but it is so objectively bad that relying on that skill will only ever ruin things.

She gets 8 points of Will, like everyone, although as a Noble that's not so important as she can just go 'here's a miracle!' and act on any passion or skill +3. (That is, she can use the internet in a productive, effective and stylish way that wows everyone around her - or she can make herself happy by being alone.)

Bonds and Afflictions
Technically, as a mortal mage, Hitomi could have some Bonds left over from her mortal life. But I can't be bothered with that, so she doesn't. Instead, she has up to 13 points of Bonds and Afflictions - magic taboos, compulsions, bindings and other weirdness - that reflect her new life as a glorious anime-based god-being. I choose:

• Bond: My chains strike unerring at the guilty. (3)
  • Bond: Cool things are more effective! (2)
  • Affliction: For every person I free, another is imprisoned. (5)
  • Affliction: My chains cannot be broken. (2)
  • Affliction: I always look pretty. (1)

With this selection, Hitomi's chains are remarkably effective at snaring and binding people (and things, and concepts) - they get a significant bonus to striking guilty targets, and whether the target is guilty or not only a miracle can break them (and a strong miracle, at that).

Her anime-inspired nature means that when she does something cool or awesome, it just tends to work better, and no matter what happens to her - short of miraculous assault - she still looks pretty.

Finally, one of the fundamental laws of her nature is that if she should free someone, someone else is imprisoned - someone of the GM's choice, for maximum 'screw with me!' potential. She can overcome it with a supreme effort but normally she just has to accept it as a cost of who she is.

Properties of Imprisonment
You get 7 points to define your Estate - in this case Imprisonment - by listing things it must do (or not do) and things it is driven towards. I choose:

• Imprisonment restricts movement. (4)
  • Imprisonment damages the mind and spirit. (2)
  • Imprisonment punishes the guilty. (1)

This is a really short list but I think it hits the main points. Imprisonment stops people from moving freely, it can harm people, and the last element is a reflection of Hitomi's justice-seeking nature.

Possibly more importantly, with a Destruction of Imprisonment (a kind of miracle) and a little GM leeway she can effect the 'transformation' that the Lotus Flower talks about by 'freeing the mind'.

Stats
Then you get 25 character points to spend on stats and other fancy stuff.

• Aspect 3 gives Hitomi anime-style speed and co-ordination, as well as a remarkable intellect.
  • Domain 2 means that Hitomi's got some minor awareness of the nature of Imprisonment, but she's more dependent on her personal presence to get things done.
  • Persona 0 - Hitomi's not very good at embodying imprisonment.
  • Treasure 3 covers the animate mass of chains that accompany her everywhere she goes.

She also has the gift Luck (1 CP), representing the sort of narrative coincidences which anime characters benefit from all the time.

Oh, and she gets 5 miracle points in each category.

That's It
Hitomi is a girl who honestly wants to save the world - whatever that means - and has the anime superpowers to do it. Unfortunately she's also the incarnation of the unpleasant concept of Imprisonment, accompanied everywhere she goes by a mass of animate chains that exist to bind the guilty, and the new role comes with a whole mess of other nobles and creatures from the edge of weirdness who seem quite happy to assume she's going to pick up where he left off. On top of that she's still a normal(ish) girl at heart with a normal family, and although she's more than ready to embrace her new life they are not prepared for this.

And that's Nobilis character gen: start with nothing, end up with a full character with story-generating conflicts ready to go. It's pretty good.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sionak posted:

You say two or more - is there any upper limit to how many powers you can combine? I'm assuming that if the powers increase your Encroachment Rate, you get the ER increase from all the ones in the combo?

There's no upper limit; as long as every power has the same action type and skill (or no skill required, which is sort of a wild card) you can stack them. There are a bunch of power that are intended solely for the purpose of comboing.

And yes, you get the ER increase for all the powers in the combo at once.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Dedman Walkin posted:

Shuffle Up and Draw! Let's Make a Deadlands Character

What happens if you draw 2 jokers? Do you get two mysterious past draws? If so what if you get, say, two sixes, do you get a twelfth sense? :v:

I'd like to see a Huckster.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Sorry for the double post but I just now realized that if you're smart or lucky you will never get an assignment teaching at the academy.

This means that all the new cadets are taught by unlucky idiots...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hulk Smash! posted:

What happens if you draw 2 jokers? Do you get two mysterious past draws? If so what if you get, say, two sixes, do you get a twelfth sense? :v:

I'd like to see a Huckster.

Yep, you get two pasts, one good and one bad. Also I want to see a Shaman or Blessed, when I ran Deadlands they were the only classes not represented in the group.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Hulk Smash! posted:

Forums Terrorist has it, you get two separate Mysterious Past draws. If duplicates were drawn, it depends. Some have "Good Side/Bad Side", like Doppleganger. You look like someone else, may be someone famous. What part you get depends on what color the card is. Others just have the one response, so if you manged to get two sixes, you get Sixth Sense and I'd redraw the second.

And in case you were wondering "What if, when you draw a Joker, you draw another Joker for it's suit?", then you get two Mysterious Pasts and a 5d12 stat to use.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well I meant to do this yesterday but whatever. Here it is:

Step 1: Character Concept

Like many games DtD40k7e wants you to think about what you want to play before you begin putting it together. So for my example I am thinking I want a big bruiser. A character capable of fighting without weapon or armor. A monk like character, but big and strong. Of course there is a limit to how much of any such think I can get, and I will have to balance these things. Of course as I go through the character creation process I may change some of these ideas as necessary.

Step 2: Starting Scores

Next we set our starting scores. Characteristics range from 1 to 5. Skills range from 0 to 5. There are exceptions. Every Skill and Characteristic gains a Specialty when raised to four dots. It gives a bonus in certain situations. Whenever a specialty would apply to a test you can reroll any ones that come up.

code:
Characteristics
Physical:  Strength      Dexterity   Constitution
Social:    Charisma      Fellowship  Composure
Mental:    Intelligence  Wisdom      Willpower
First you select which of these groups is primary or what you are good at, which is secondary or what you are average at, and which is tertiary or your weak point.

Before deciding which Characteristics I want to focus on I should probably tell you what they are for.

Strength governs things such as lifting capacity, is used to resolve jumping, lifting and other actions that draw on physical might. It is one of two stats that determines the character's speed. It is also used to determine the base dice rolled for successful physical attacks. As such it is important for our character, especially since I wanted to go for a big bruiser build.
code:
Specialties: Iron Grip, Reserves of
Strength, Fists Like Anvils, Hurting People
* Poor: You can lift 80 lbs.
** Average: You can lift 120 lbs.
*** Good: You can lift 250 lbs.
**** Exceptional: You can lift 400 lbs.
***** Outstanding: You can lift 650 lbs.
and crush skulls like grapes.
Dexterity is usually the master stat, in most games it seems to be the best stat. At one point it was the same here. It used to be used for attack rolls, they replaced it with level for that purpose so it is a little less all important. The other stat that determines speed. It is still used for many skills. It is also one of two stats used to determine Static Defense, the AC for this game. So we probably want this to be good.
code:
Specialties: Fast Movement, Feline
Grace, Lightning Reflexes, Perfect Aim
* Poor: You are clumsy and awkward.
Stop tripping over your own feet!
** Average: You're no clod, but don't ex
pect to win any awards.
*** Good: You show some potential.
You're above-average.
**** Exceptional: You could be an acrobat
if you wanted.
***** Outstanding: Backflips everywhere,
running on walls, being awesome.
Constitution In many games this characteristic would have little use in skills but would be a large determiner to hit points. In this game Constitution is one of two stats that govern Hit Points. It is used to determine how long one can keep going, and is apparently the linked attribute for Athletics which governs things like running and swimming. It is somewhat important, but one might be able to keep it lower by instead focusing on the other characteristic that governs hit points.
code:
Specialties: Tough as Nails, Tireless,
Resolute, Stoic
* Poor: You bruise in a stiff wind.
** Average: You're moderately healthy
and can even withstand a punch or
two.
*** Good: You're in good shape and
rarely fall ill.
**** Exceptional: You can run in
marathons - and win!
***** Outstanding: You almost never get
sick and don't get tired.
Charisma Is used to measure how innately likable someone is, air of confidence and social graces, force of personality, etc. Not really a focus for this character.
code:
Specialties: Eloquent Speaker, Catchphrases,
Genteel, Cutting Wit
* Poor: Stop picking your nose.
** Average: You're generally likable and
have several friends.
*** Good: People trust you implicitly.
**** Exceptional: You have significant per
sonal magnetism.
***** Outstanding: Entire cultures could
follow your lead.
Fellowship measure's a person's appearance and ability for self-expression. A lot of the more manipulative social interactions are governed by this. Coerce, manipulate, and bully others. Covers everything from leading people to tricking them, from being sly to being domineering. So good for Politicians and Generals both. Again not really fitting for the character I had in mind.
code:
Specialties: Persuasive, Seductive,
Well-Reasoned, Charming Rogue
* Poor: A person of few (often ineffec
tual) words and plain face.
** Average: A normal looking man who
isnĘt too bad at talking to people.
*** Good: You never pay full price. One
way or the other.
**** Exceptional: You could be a politi
cian. Or a cult leader.
***** Outstanding: People will live and die
on your word.
Composure is where being able to remain calm and appear, or actually be, unfazed in social and threatening situations. A measure of emotional fortitude, restraint and calm. This is the only characteristic used for Mental Defense. It is also one of two characteristics used to determine Resolve. This makes it fairly important even if you don't plan on initiating social combat. Also it kind of fits the image of the unflappable monk.
code:
Specialties: Poise, Dignity, Unflappable,
Fearless
* Poor: You fold to peer pressure like
origami paper.
** Average: Once in a while you manage
to stand up for yourself.
*** Good: You speak your mind when
you need to and can control yourself.
**** Exceptional: Others look at you and
see only calm.
***** Outstanding: You've probably never
been afraid of anything.
Intelligence governs memory, understanding and reason. Covers number of starting languages. You begin with your local/race language and Trade. And you get one extra starting language for each dot above 2 in Intelligence. Might make sense for a more learned monk, but not really for the one I was leaning toward.
code:
Specialties: Trivia, Puzzle Solver,
Book Knowledge, Creativity.
* Poor: Not the sharpest knife in the
drawer.
** Average: Smart enough to realize
you're normal.
*** Good: More enlightened than the
masses.
**** Exceptional: You're not just bright,
you're brilliant!
***** Outstanding: Certified genius.
Wisdom covers both alertness and comprehension. Pretty much as usual for these kinds of games. With Dexterity it is one of the two characteristics used to determine Static Defense. It can be just as important as Dexterity in its way, and fits the archetype pretty well. Also as the plan is to be as big as possible more Dexterity and Wisdom to off set the size penalty to Static Defense is nice. Will probably want a fairly decent score here.
code:
Specialties: Attentive, Insightful, Experienced,
Discerning
* Poor: Perhaps you're self-absorbed.
Or an airhead. Details elude you.
** Average: You're oblivious to the very
subtle, but not the big picture.
*** Good: You can read the environment
like a book.
**** Exceptional: Almost nothing evades
your notice.
***** Outstanding: You instantly observe
things others would easily overlook.
And finally Willpower describes how strongly you can hold onto your own ideas and resist mental commands from others. It is used to resist many supernatural effects. It with Constitution determines hit points. It with Composure determines Resolve. As such it is pretty important and may fit the monk idea well. It may be better to focus more on Willpower than Constitution.

For this character I am thinking Physical primary, Mental secondary and Social tertiary. All characteristics start at 1 dot. You then get six dots to distribute between your primary characteristics, four dots between secondary characteristics, and two between tertiary characteristics. No characteristic may be brought to 5 dots at this point.

code:
Characteristics
Physical:  Strength     ****   Dexterity  ***   Constitution  ** 
Social:    Charisma     *      Fellowship *     Composure     ***
Mental:    Intelligence *      Wisdom     ***   Willpower     ***
Would work, pretty terrible in some areas but then again not really a social creature, and while Intelligence would be nice the character really needs Wisdom and Willpower for the Monk concept more. Constitution could be higher, but the Willpower helps make up for it a bit, and Strength is a bit high but the concept was a bruiser.

Step 2.5: Now on to Skills

Skills are broken up into three groups as well. Mental, Physical and Social. Mental Skills are modified by Mental Characteristics and represent knowledge and learning. Physical Skills represent inherent skills and training. Social skills are all about your ability to deal with people. They are prioritized like Characteristics, into a primary, a secondary and a tertiary group. Though they do not have to have the same priority as your Characteristics.

All skills start at 0 dots. The primary group gets eight dots to distribute, the secondary six, and the tertiary four. No skill can be raised above 3 at this step. It is also important to keep in mind that Classes have skill requirements. The first level of Monk requires Brawl 2, Acrobatics 1 and Athletics 1. So I must make certain I at least have those skills. The skill list is pretty long so I won't go into what each is for, they are mostly fairly obvious.

Mental Skills include: Academic Lore, Arcana, Common Lore, Crafts, Forbidden Lore, Medicae, Perception, Politics (huh expected that to be Social), Tech-Use.

Physical Skills include: Acrobatics, Athletics, Ballistics, Brawl, Drive, Larceny, Pilot, Stealth, Weaponry.

Social Skills include: Animal Ken, Charm, Command, Deceive, Disguise, Intimidation, Performer, Persuasion, Scrutiny.

I think I will go with the same priorities, Physical primary, Mental secondary, and Social tertiary.

code:
Skills
              Mental
Academic Lore 
Arcana          *
Common Lore     *
Crafts         
Forbidden Lore    
Medicae         *
Perception      ***
Politics          
Tech-Use     
              Physical
Acrobatics      **
Athletics       ***
Ballistics 
Brawl           ***
Drive           
Larceny         
Pilot           
Stealth         
Weaponry        
              Social
Animal Ken      
Charm           
Command         
Deceive         
Disguise        
Intimidation    **
Performer       
Persuasion      
Scrutiny        **
Most physical skills don't really fit what I expect of the character, stealth could be useful but if I am that big I probably won't be sneaking all that well anyway. So I put the max of 3 in Brawl, meeting the requirement, I need at least 1 point in Acrobatics and Athletics but instead I put 2 in one and 3 in the other. Could have spread myself out more, and that would probably have been a good idea, but these are the ones that best fit the concept.

For mental skills I want to be really perceptive, we have a good Wisdom and I have found my Monks tend to max Perception or Spot and Listen in most games. It also kind of fits being one with the world and noticing the slightest things. Don't really feel like the character is heavily book learned, and really seems unlikely to have much experience with the more modern technologies. So I don't put anything into Tech-Use and spread my other 3 points around to get 1 in Common Lore, 1 in Medicae since the character probably knows at least a little about bodies and fixing minor injuries, and 1 in Arcana because seeking enlightenment they probably learned a bit about the less than mundane.

For Social Skills I don't feel most fit well. The character is fairly separated from the wide world, at least at first. With their great size and strength it would probably make sense for them to be somewhat skilled at Intimidation so I put a few points into that, and they may have picked up on reading physical cues for when people are lying and such so a few points into Scrutiny.

Step 3 Now we choose Race.

The base book gives:
code:
Aasimar (much like Warhammer 40k Space Marines) 
        Size 5, on average 2.4 to 2.6 m tall, 100 to 140 kg
        Speak Trade and Celestial. 
        Get a +1 to either Wisdom or Constitution.  
        Get +1 to both Command and Ballistics
        And begin play with the feats Jaded and Fearless
Dark Eladrin (much like Warhammer 40k Dark Eldar mixed with D&D Drow) 
        Size 3, on average 1.6 to 1.9 m tall, 50 to 65 kg
        Speak Trade and Dark Eladrin. 
        Get a +1 to either Charisma or Dexterity. 
        Get +1 to both Deceive and Forbidden Lore
        Can basically create a 4m radius sphere of darkness as a half action.
        This is usable 1/scene at 1st, 2/scene at 3rd, and 3/scene at 5th level.
Dragonborn (D&D Dragonborn, servants of Bahamut, masterless knights, etc.) 
        Size 5, on average 2.1 to 2.5 m tall, 120 to 170 kg
        Speak Trade and Draconic. 
        Get a +1 to either Strength or Charisma. 
        Get +1 to both Command and Intimidation
        Breath weapon with weapon profile as a flamer.
Eladrin (D&D Eladrin plus Warhammer 40k Eldar) 
        Size 3, on average 1.7 to 2.1 m tall, 65 to 75 kg
        Speak Trade and Eladrin. 
        Get a +1 to either Wisdom or Intelligence. 
        Get +1 to both Academic Lore and Arcana
        Can teleport up to twice your speed as a half action.
Elf (D&D Elf, distant relatives of Eladrin who have settled down) 
        Size 5, on average 1.6 to 1.9 m tall, 70 to 80 kg
        Speak Trade and Elven. 
        Get a +1 to either Wisdom or Dexterity. 
        Get +1 to both Perception and Charm
        Can reroll a failed Weaponry or Ballistic skill test.
Gnome (D&D Gnomes with a focus on technology know how.) 
        Size 3, on average 1.3 to 1.5 m tall, 45 to 55 kg
        Speak Trade and Gnomish. 
        Get a +1 to either Intelligence or Fellowship. 
        Get +1 to both Crafts and Academic Lore.
        Begin with one free Weapon Proficiency and one free Armor Proficiency.
Halfling (D&D Halflings and often viewed much like rats.) 
        Size 2, on average 1.0 to 1.2 m tall, 24 to 35 kg
        Speak Trade and Halfling. 
        Get a +1 to either Intelligence or Fellowship. 
        Get +1 to both Larceny and Deceive.
        Double Dex bonus to Static Defense, instead of using both Dex and Wis.
Human (You know what humans are, they are the average and most flexible)
        Size 4, 
        Speak Trade and Human. 
        Get a +1 to any one Characteristic. 
        Get +1 to any two skills.
        Begins play with one additional Hero Point.
Ork (Warhammer 40k style mostly, perhaps some D&D mixed in) 
        Size 5, on average 2.3 to 2.7 m tall, 160 to 200 kg
        Speak Trade and Orkish. 
        Get a +1 to either Strength or Willpower. 
        Get +1 to both Intimidation and Scrutiny.
        At the beginning of each combat heal hit points equal to your level.
Squat (Warhammer 40k Squats and D&D Dwarves) 
        Size 3, on average 1.2 to 1.4 m tall, 75 to 100 kg
        Speak Trade and Squat. 
        Get a +1 to either Constitution or Willpower. 
        Get +1 to both Crafts and Common Lore.
        Resilience is treated as 1 higher for determining how many hp is lot to damage.
Tau (probably Warhammer 40k Tau, blue skinned with cloven feat.) 
        Size 3, on average 1.7 to 2.0 m tall, 85 to 100 kg
        Speak Trade and Tau. 
        Get a +1 to either Intelligence or Composure. 
        Get +1 to both Common Lore and Persuasion.
        When successfully dodge a melee attack they may make a free withdraw action.
Tiefling (D&D Tiefling but also the Chaos powers version of the Aasimar) 
        Size 5, on average 1.3 to 1.5 m tall, 450 to 55 kg
        Speak Trade and Abyssal. 
        Get a +1 to either Dexterity or Constitution.
        Get +1 to both Intimidate and Weaponry.
        May reroll damage dice that land on a 1.
The second book adds 4 more races:
code:
Thri-Kreen (D&D Thri-Kreen mostly, live fast and die young) 
        Size 4, on average 2.0 to 2.3 m tall, 100 to 120 kg
        Speak Trade and Thri-Kreen.
        Get a +1 to either Dexterity or Wisdom. 
        Get +1 to both Acrobatics and Perception.
        Can take a Ready action as a free action 1/round and reload weapons in half the time.
Kenku (D&D Kenku/crow peole, one of the oldest races.) 
        Size 3, on average 1.5 to 1.8 m tall, 30 to 40 kg
        Speak Trade and Kenkua and any one extra. 
        Get a +1 to either Intelligence or Wisdom. 
        Get +1 to both Performer and Pilot.
        As long as they have room to unfurl their wings they don't suffer fall damage.  Get +2k0 on acrobatics tests.
Kobold (D&D Kobold, industrial and great miners, cutthroat, etc.) 
        Size 2, on average 1.0 to 1.2 m tall, 15 to 20 kg
        Speak Trade and Draconic. 
        Get a +1 to either Charisma or Dexterity. 
        Get +1 to both Arcana and Stealth.
        1/round as a free actin may spend 2 HP to gain a resource point that must be spent immediately.
Dryad (D&D Dryad, female only races of plant people 
        Size 4, on average 1.5 to 1.8 m tall, 100 to 140 kg
        Speak Trade and Elven, Spirit-Tongue. 
        Get a +1 to either Fellowship or Willpower. 
        Get +1 to both Animal Ken and Scrutiny.
        May cast Charm Person using their Level+Fellowship in place of the spell's normal Focus Power test.
Now just looking at those Thri-Kreen seem perfect for Monks. And any of the Size 5 races would probably fit the Big Bruiser part. But the Dryad have a Racial feat that they can take at first level that increases their size by +2, increases Strength, gives them an armored skin and increases the damage of their fists. This puts the Dryad Matron at Size 6 the largest of the races. Besides Treant Monk.

Our new stats are:

code:
Characteristics
Physical:  Strength     ****   Dexterity  ***   Constitution  ** 
Social:    Charisma     *      Fellowship **    Composure     ***
Mental:    Intelligence *      Wisdom     ***   Willpower     ***
Would have preferred increasing Willpower more, but I increased Fellowship instead because that same Racial feat I mentioned above will lower Fellowship.

code:
Skills
              Mental
Academic Lore 
Arcana          *
Common Lore     *
Crafts         
Forbidden Lore    
Medicae         *
Perception      ***
Politics          
Tech-Use     
              Physical
Acrobatics      **
Athletics       ***
Ballistics 
Brawl           ***
Drive           
Larceny         
Pilot           
Stealth         
Weaponry        
              Social
Animal Ken      *
Charm           
Command         
Deceive         
Disguise        
Intimidation    **
Performer       
Persuasion      
Scrutiny        ***
Will continue later, but this is already getting really long.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Let's talk about GURPS 4th Edition

What do I like about GURPS? It's a hell of a lot more versatile and open. Does it have a shitload of rules? Yeah. It does. Way more than I give a poo poo about. Which is FINE, because one of the first rules of GURPS is that all the rules are optional. If you don't want to mess with all this math bullshit, you are totally allowed to do that, and in most cases it's for the better.

With that said, I'll be creating this character using not quite the bare bones of character creation, but it'll definitely be simplified. For example, we're going to be making a humanoid character. GURPS definitely has rules in place if we want to make something a bit more crazy. I'll probably do that in another post.

Now, what kind of character to we wanna make? I've been thinking about a bard lately, so we'll go with that. Now GURPS let's us get a bit silly, so let's get a bit silly. A bard/rogue. That steals instruments. That's all they steal, and they steal a LOT. They have a shitload of stolen instruments. So many, that's their weapon in battle. Stolen instruments.

Perfect.

Now in GURPS, things aren't decided by levels. In GURPS, you get points. These points are spent on everything regarding character creation, from stats to skills to advantages to spells. The book's example gives a tried adventurer 250 points to start out. Since I don't want this to take forever, we're gonna have our klepto-bard be a little bit more inexperienced - we'll start with 150 points.

---
Stats
---

For GURPS, there are 4 main stats. Intelligence, Dexterity, Strength, and Health. I'll be referring to those by their respective abbreviations IQ, DX, ST, and HT. Every character starts with 10 in each stat, so right now, our klepto-bard's stats are:
code:
IQ - 10
DX - 10
ST - 10
HT - 10
Now we have 150 points to spend, but we don't want to spend them all here. It's tempting though, because stats are expensive. IQ and DX take 20 points each for each stat point, and ST and HT take 10 points. Since we're a bard who can steal things, we want both our DX and IQ to be fairly high, at least, as high as we can get them. With a bit of finagling, we now sit at:
code:
IQ - 11
DX - 13
ST -  9
HT - 10
By taking one point AWAY from our base ST, we gain 10 character points to spend elsewhere. These are our main stats now. A bit smarter than average, and a good deal more sly and swift than average. For those playing at home, we now have 100 points left

Now we have substats, stats that are derived by our base stats. There are a few of these - Damage, Basic Lift, Will, Perception, Hit Points, Fatigue Points, Basic Speed, and Basic Move. Let's go through all of these individually:

Damage is determined by your ST, and there's a handy table for us to stare at. With a ST of 9, our Damage in unarmed combat or with a melee weapon (which is what we'll be using) is 1d-2 for a thrusting weapon (like a flute) or 1d-1 for a swinging weapon (like a guitar)

Basic Lift is probably the only substat that can be discarded if you feel like it. To you and your GM, it's sorta common sense what you can and can't lift. That said, we'll figure it out anyway. Basic Lift is equal to our ST squared, divided by 5. So 81/5, or 16.2 pounds. That is, we can lift 16.2 pounds above our head in one second. Whoop-dee.

Will is mental fortitude, and as such begins equal to our IQ. So we got 11 IQ, we got 11 Will. Easy. It costs 5 points to raise up by 1, but we don't need to worry about that as a klepto-bard.

Perception is similar, equal to IQ, costs 5 points each. This we WILL raise, just by 3 though. So that's another 15 points down the drain, we're at 85 now.

Hit Points is self-explanatory, and is equal to our ST. So we got 9HP to start out with. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it's cheap. 2 points per HP. We can beef that up a bit, but let's see how these other stats and skills shake out and we can come back to it later.

Fatigue Points are our "energy supply". Basically, MP. We use it to cast spells, though it can also be used up by tasks of endurance and the such. It's equal to our HT, so we have 10 of it to start out. Again, doesn't seem like a lot, but it's still cheap, though not as cheap as HP. 3 per FP this time. Again, we'll come back to these later as we see how the rest of our points shake out.

Basic Speed affects a few things. Our general reflexes, how we dodge, our initiative in combat, and how far we can move within a given time. To find our Speed, we add our HT and DX together (23) and then divide by 4 (5.75). That decimal is important! We don't round up or round down: Our speed is 5.75. It costs 5 points to raise speed by 0.25. We're gonna do this and raise it to an even 6.00, not only because that's a nice round number, but because it'll help us a lot in the next step, and our final substat. We're now at 80 points.

Basic Move is how many tiles we can cover in one round. It's determined by your speed, by just shaving the decimal off. So since our speed is 6.00, our basic move is 6. If we left our speed at 5.75, our move would be 5 instead. That 0.25 went a long way!

So, these are our stats for our klepto-bard now:

code:
IQ - 11		Damage - 1d-1 (swing), 1d-2 (thrust)	
DX - 13		BL - 16.2lbs
ST -  9		Will - 11
HT - 10		Perc - 13
HP -  9		Speed - 6.00
FP - 10		Move - 6
Looks good to me! Now it's on to:

---
Advantages
---

This is really where we can flesh out the personality of our bard. GURPS has a lot of options for this, and this is where we decide a lot of the personality traits and actual physical features of our character. Just because I said we're making a humanoid character doesn't mean we're making a human one. To up the strangeness factor and also give a little hint of how flexible GURPS is, let's make a bird. A bird bard. Yes, good.

So, let's go through the advantages we want to take first:

Catfall - 10 points - Allows us to fall from high up and not get too hurt. As both a bird and as someone who steals things and may need to make a quick getaway, this seems like a no-brainer. 70 points left.

Charisma - 10 points - We're a bard, we lighten up a room. Charisma is 5 points per level, and each level gives us +1 to our rolls in certain social situations. We'll take 2 levels since we can afford to. 60 points left.

Flight - 20 points - Birds do that. Normally, flight costs 40 points, but we're going to take a special limitation. Instead of flying, we can only glide, and not actually gain altitude. This cuts the price in half. There are additional limitations we can take, but we'll stick to this. 40 points left.

Luck - 30 points - This is where we got some personality going. I don't want our klepto-bird bard to be GOOD at stealing poo poo. I want them to just be lucky at getting away with it. Luck allows us to reroll something we're not happy with. Specifically, at the level we bought it at, Luck allows us to reroll something every 30 minutes of gameplay. It'll be pretty useful and soon you'll be wondering what life was like without it. 10 points remaining.

Rapier Wit - 5 points - This is one of my favorite skills, I'm serious. It allows us to use WITTY REPARTEE to STUN FOES IN COMBAT. That's loving awesome and definitely something we need as a bard. Just laying down sick burns left and right. 5 points remaining.

Talent - 5 points - As a bard, we're talented at a few things. Wordplay and music are some of them. What Talent allows us to do is choose (at the level we bought it at) 6 skills that are closely related in our occupation and get +1 on all the rolls we ever make using those skills, as well as +1 on reaction rolls for other people to notice how skilled we are. We'll get to the skills we'll apply this to later. 0 points remaining.

Beak - 1 point - Yeah, we got one. It allows us to do our normal thrusting damage minus one, which is written as simply thrust-1. More of an attribute than an advantage, but we're taking it anyway. -1 points remaining

(Note, you may notice we're in the red with regards to points. Don't worry, we'll make it up when we get to Disadvantages)

Honest Face - 1 point - We're straight, honest! Gives us a bonus to Acting if we ever need to act dumb or act innocent. People will also trust us a bit more easily at first glance. -2 points remaining.

Penetrating Voice - We can lighten up a room and we can also overpower it. -3 points remaining.

---
Disadvantages
---

This is where we flesh out our character even more, and make up some of those points we're now in the red with. Disadvantages cost negative points. As in, they give us some. Plenty to choose from, too. These will give us something to roleplay, and give our character more depth.

Absent Mindedness - -15 points - We're brash, impulsive, and hell, maybe a bit lacking in common sense. Miraculously, we're lucky enough to get by, and this is usually the thing that amazes people the most, rather than whatever death-defying thing we just pulled off. 13 points remaining

Chummy - -5 points - We're a people person. We're energized by the positive energy of others. If people aren't around, well, we feel a bit sad and down, and we get a -1 to all IQ rolls. 18 points remaining.

Curious - -5 points - What does that button do? We have to roll against our self-control whenever we see a button to press, or a lever to pull, or an old mansion to explore. You get the idea. 23 points remaining.

Impulsiveness - -10 points - Act first and think later steal the thing do it do it oh poo poo they noticed hey guy what's up oh wait he looks mad better run. 33 points remaining.

Kleptomania - -15 points - Yeah, you saw this coming. We roll against our self-control whenever we have the chance to steal something, and this gets penalties put on it if it's something particularly interesting. Like a nice violin. Or gosh, I hope they don't miss the C# on this harpsichord. 48 points remaining.

Upbeat - -5 points - This actually isn't a disadvantage in the book, but it gives you tools to create advantages/disadvantages as you see fit. We're happy. All the time. It's to a fault, really. We don't quite understand negative emotions, a prefer to drown them out in an unending wave of positivity. Cracking jokes, playing music, having fun. Some might call it annoying. It'll give us a -1 to certain rolls involving emotional tact. 53 points remaining.

---
Skills.
---

This is where we get into the real nitty-gritty of what our character can do. Skills are based on our core stats, or, more rarely, our Will or Perception. There are four difficulties of skills that dictate how many points they cost to learn at a competent level: Easy, Average, Hard, and Very Hard.

Now, everything in GURPS you roll 3d6 for. Everything. Rolling against Self-Control? 3d6. Rolling to lockpick a door? 3d6. Rolling to pull yourself up from a ledge to avoid falling into a pit of snakes? 3d6. Lower rolls are better. Rolling a 3 is a crit success. Rolling an 18 is a crit fail. This takes a little getting used to, but you gotta learn to not panic when see those 1s. Rolling 3d6 instead of like, 1d18 gives the probability curve a bell shape, instead of it being linear. On a d20, you have a 1/20 chance of landing on any number. However, with 3d6, the probabilities are a bit different, as seen below:

So you get diminishing returns as you get more skilled in something. It gives an incentive to diversify your skills a bit.

So, how skills work, is that you can roll for anything you want, even if you haven't spent points on it. The only penalty is that you roll it at a default. The default is different for every skill, and is written right below the skill's name in the book. For example, say we wanted to roll for... Erotic Arts (Yes, that's a skill). Below the name in the book, it tells me its default is DX-5. That means, to succeed at our roll, we must roll BELOW our DX minus 5. Or in this case, an 8.

Now this is where those difficulties come in. You have to spend less points on an Easy skill to bring it up a respectable level you can resonably roll against than a Very Hard skill. You'll consult the table below a lot:

So, for an IQ skill that's Average, we'd need to put 4 points in it to bring it up to IQ+1, ie, we would then have to roll LOWER than our IQ+1 to succeed the roll. Make sense? Good.

Now to choose our skills. Most of those don't need an explanation, so have a list. Remember, we have 53 points to spend here.

code:
Acting - Average - 4 points - IQ+1 (+1 for Talent advantage)
Connoisseur (instruments) - Average - 4 points - IQ+1 (+1 for Talent advantage)
Filch - Average - 8 points - DX+2
Fast-Talk - Average - 4 points - Acting+1
Melee Weapon (guitar) - Average - 4 points - DX+1
Musical Instrument - Hard - 12 Points - IQ+2 (+1 for Talent advantage)
Musical Compostion - Hard - 4 points - Musical Instrument+0 (+1 for Talent advantage)
Musical Influence - Very Hard - 8 points - IQ+0 (+1 for Talent advantage)
Public Speaking - Average - 4 points - Acting+1 (+1 for Talent advantage)
Sleight of Hand - Hard - 1 point - Filch-2
---
Magic
---

Next character I make I'll delve more into magic. We don't really have the pointage to do it here. Besides, we already got the magic and it's with our CHARM :colbert:.

---
Equipment
---

Finally, we choose a weapon. Well, we've already chosen, and that's our mass of stolen guitars, but we need to choose what that's CLOSEST to as far as the game goes. For humor's sake, let's call it an AXE. A two-handed one.

Now, according to the book, that gives us a final damage roll of swing+3, and it does impact damage, which means it won't cut, or pierce. If you do it right it won't even leave a bruise for evidence.

We can also choose stuff like Armor, but that sort of thing can be decided before the campaign starts. You at least want to get down what TYPE of weapon you have.

---
Final Notes
---

So, we need a name. That's a thing we don't have yet. I randomed some names and ended up with Nerea, which in Basque means "mine". So I'm gonna keep that one, that's perfect. It's also a feminine name, and since we haven't chosen a gender yet, I guess we have Nerea the klepto-bard bird girl. Our final stats are:

code:
IQ - 11		Damage - 1d+1 (guitar, swing+3) 1d-2 (beak, thrust-1)	
DX - 13		BL - 16.2lbs
ST -  9		Will - 11
HT - 10		Perc - 13
HP -  9		Speed - 6.00
FP - 10		Move - 6

Catfall
Charisma
Flight
Luck
Rapier Wit
Talent
Beak 
Honest Face
Penetrating Voice

Absent-Mindedness
Chummy
Curious 
Impulsiveness
Kleptomania
Upbeat

Acting
Connoisseur (instruments)
Filch
Fast-Talk
Melee Weapon
Musical Instrument
Musical Composition
Musical Influence
Public Speaking
Slight of Hand
Next time I'll probably do a really wacky and crazy character, with some magic involved, so we can really see how much we can strain and bend the system.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 22, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lorona the Were-Eagle Elf, Part 1.2

Okay, so last time we started to roll a female elf and ended up with a female elf who could turn into an eagle at-will and whom eagles worship as their god. That's pretty loving rad, especially for a bizarre 80's game, so let's keep going!

6) Section 1.12 Maximum Ability. Determine your total multipliers, assign them to your modifiable characteristics, record them on your record sheet (in the multiplier boxes) and determine your Maximum Ability for each characteristic.
Okay, I remember this. This is yet another one of those points where Powers & Perils gives you an excellent chance to cripple your character forever just for the gently caress of it. Here, I roll 2d6+14 for my "multipliers."

A bit of explanation is in order. Okay, so those stats I rolled last time?

pre:
Strength     13 
Stamina      14
Dexterity    19
Agility      13
Intelligence 10
Will         21
Eloquence     7
Empathy      12
Constitution  5 x 2.5 = 13
Appearance   13 x 5.0 = 65
Yeah, those are my "Native Attributes" and pretty much bullshit. My real stats will be figured in the next few steps. Multipliers are assigned to all of these stats, and those determine my maximum attributes. In other words, if I roll snake eyes here, I'm hosed. If I roll a 12, I'm potentially Wonder Woman. Fortunately, I roll a very reasonable 8, which gives me 22 multipliers to assign. I have to assign at least 1.5 to each. I focus on Dexterity, Agility, and Will.

pre:
            Nat  Mult  Cur    Max
Strength     13 x 2            26
Stamina      14 x 2            28
Dexterity    19 x 4            76
Agility      13 x 4            52
Intelligence 10 x 1.5          15
Will         21 x 4            84
Eloquence     7 x 1.5          11
Empathy      12 x 3            36
Constitution  5 x 2.5 = 13     13
Appearance   13 x 5.0 = 65     65
Looks good to me.

7) Section 1.14, Initial Increases. Using your Age and Station, determine your combat experience, expertise, characteristic points, and wealth. Assign them to your Character, and record them on your record sheet as specified in sections 1.[1]41, 1.142, 1.143, and 1.144
Okay, Initial Increases are another really neat bit of Character Generation. Remember in Shadowrun how you assign priorities to some categories and you get better stats, better money, better skills, etc.? Same idea here, a decade earlier.

For my Initial Increases, I have another chance to screw up my character, though not as severely as with Age or Multipliers. I roll 2d10+(Age x2)+Station. (See why I said a low enough Age is awful?) Fortunately, luck is with me and I roll a 15. So, I start with 56 points here. Now I get to spend 'em.

I'm picturing a woodsy sort of character, and I'm pretty much poor no matter what, so I'll spend the minimum (5) on money. 25 x my station's "money" of 2 CC, which gives me 50 CC or the equivalent of 5 SC. :eek: This ... might be a bad idea, but let's do this anyway.

First, I spend 15 on Combat Experience Points, shooting me to CEL 3 right away. That's it for that step.

Second, I spend 18 on Characteristic Points. This gets me 64 of them. This is how I increase my stats up-front. I pretty much focus on the same stuff that got my multipliers:

pre:
            Nat  Mult  Pts   Cur  Bon  Max
Strength     13 x 2      3    16   +1   26
Stamina      14 x 2      2    16   +1   28
Dexterity    19 x 4     14    33   +2   76
Agility      13 x 4     18    31   +2   52
Intelligence 10 x 1.5    0    10   --   15
Will         21 x 4     20    41   --   84
Eloquence     7 x 1.5    0     7   --   11
Empathy      12 x 3      7    19   --   36
Constitution  5 x 2.5 =       13   +0   13
Appearance   13 x 5.0 =       65   --   65
I fortunately don't spend my 360 Expertise Points for a few steps.

8) Section 3.7 Combat Experience Levels. Record your CEL based on the combat experience you purchased in section 1.14.
Already done. I am CEL 3.

9) Section 1.3, in its entirety, where appropriate. This section details the basic factors that are used in play. The formulas that are used to determine these values are listed in the Commonly Used Formulas section of each Record Sheet.
Ah, poo poo. I knew this was coming. :ohdear:

1.321 Strength
Portage Ability is (S x 2) + (StB x 20) or (S x 2), whichever is greater. This is 52. My not-so-willowy elf can carry 52 lbs without slowing down.
Lifting Ability is my Portage Ability x5. I can lift 260 lbs, which is ... a lot, really.

1.3241 Dodging (Optional)
AB+DB = 4. It's a complex subsystem we won't worry about right now.

1.3251 The Healing Chance
Not gonna be my strong suit. (C + St)/2, rounded up gives me a bare 15% chance to heal any wounds naturally, which is rear end. I also have a 10% chance of getting infected instead.

1.3252 Damage Tolerance
AKA, my maximum negative HP before dying. ((C/20)+StB) x (-1), round up. As with Snergli, I have no idea if "round up" here means closer to 0 or further away from it. Regardless, It's not good. It's 0 or -1.

1.3253 Energy Level
Kind of like Hit Points, but for spooky stuff like Energy Drain. C + W gives me 54. If I decide to be a magician, this also caps my Casting Ability.

1.3254 Poison resistance
(CB+StB) x 2 could be worse. I have a 2% poison resistance.

1.3261 Mana Level
This is related to casting, so I want it to be good if possible. (I + W + Em)/10, round up. Not bad; 7 for me.

1.32611 Magic Defense Value
It equals my Mana Level for now. 7.

1.331 Hit Point Value (HPV)
Oh boy. (S + St + C)/4, round up. I have all of 12 hit points. Go me. This means I can take two solid hits before snuffing it.

1.3321 Offensive Combat Value
Combat Experience Level (CEL) + Strength Bonus (SB) + Stamina Bonus (StB). I have a 5, which will matter if I am in melee. It won't matter worth poo poo if I'm at range.

1.3322 Defensive Combat Value
CEL + Agility Bonus (AB) + Dexterity Bonus (DB).
. An impressive 7 here; I may die easy, but I'm hard to hit.

1.3331 Height
Height = Native Strength + Native Stamina + a factor determined on a table, below

For a female elf, that Factor is 42. So my height is 69", or 5'9".

1.3332 Weight
I roll another d10 here. 7. That's a 1.7 multiplier applied to my height, so I weigh a wispy 118 lbs.

1.334 Food Requirements
Weighing 100-125 would mean I'd need 1 food point per day. My elven waifishness reduces this by 50%. 1/2 food point per day.

1.335 Movement
My base movement in "inches" is 10+AB+1, or in human terms, 11+AB. My base move is 13. This number is a lie; I'll normally be moving 1/4 of this.

1.336 Influence
Yeah, I'm not persuasive. Eloquence + Empathy = 26, with a minimum chance of 6% no matter how many negative modifiers I get.

1.3431, the chance I will survive multiple magical heals in a day
C x 2 - (Hit points taken x (Magic Uses for Healing -1)) ... Not good. My base chance to survive is 26%, minus the HP of damage I've taken. By "survive" I'm not loving around here; if I'm healed twice and fail this roll, I'm dead.

...and we made it. That's Step 9. :negative:

Holy crap, I need a break. To be continued!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
SPI was a wargaming company that decided to get into that sweet sweet RPG money a little later than others. They released two RPGs. DragonQuest which is groggy as hell and actually got popular with a certain crowd, and Universe which was groggy as hell and didn't...Guess which one we're going to see?

Character generation in Universe takes 13 steps and way more tables than...oh wait a second, FATAL exists...ignore the hyperbole. These 13 steps are broken up into three sections:

Character Heritage
    [1] Determine 4 Potential Multipliers.
    [2] Calculate the number of Study Points the character receives.
    [3] Determine the character's natural habitat.
    [4] Determine the character's Social Standing

Character Development
    [5] Choose Field s of Study for the character.
    [6] Choose initial skills for the character.
    [7] Determine the character's 9 Characteristic Ratings.

Character Profession
    [8] Choose a profession for the character.
    [9] Declare how many years the character will practice their profession.
    [10] Determine the effects of age on the character.
    [11] Calculate the number of Skill Points the character receives.
    [12] Choose Skills for the character.
    [13] Determine benefits the character receives from their profession.

Seems straight forward enough right?

gently caress you Universe...

Character Heritage
Determine 4 Potential Multipliers.
This is a series of 4 numbers that define the character's potential in the areas of physique, coordination, intellect, and social background. Basically these are seed numbers. You roll a d10 and consult the Character Heritage Table to find the potential multiplier for each of the 4 types. I rolled a 5, a 6, a 9, and a 3. This means I have average in physique and coordination (multiplier of 2 for each). An Above Average intellect ((multiplier of 3). And a Below Average social background (multiplier of 1).

Calculate the number of Study Points the character receives.
After finding out what the multipliers are from the step above, the player now adds them together and consult the second column of the Character Heritage Table to determine the amount of initial Study Points the character will receive. 2+2+3+1=8, consulting the table shows that the character will have 4 Study Points.

Determine the character's natural habitat.
gently caress this step...
Okay, this affects initiative and stealth and hunting and tracking and any other skill that would be environmentally based. Lockpicking at the bottom of an ocean say. The concept is okay, but the execution is a pain in the rear end. First you roll 2d10. The first die is the column and the second is the row of the Habitat Table. You add the physique multiplier and subtract the coordination multiplier from the second die. As they are the same and I rolled a 3 and 5...that gives us a 3:HL-WD/HY-NL. Translated it gives us a base rating of 3 in Hills-Wooded and we're from a Heavy Grav- Normal Temperature planet.
Now you take that and fill out the grid...

Simple huh?

Determine the character's Social Standing
Roll 1d10 and then...
"The player rolls one die and modifies the die result as follows:
Double the character's Social Background Multiplier and add the product to the die result.
Add the character's Urban Skill Level to the die result.
Subtract the character's Home Environ Skill Level from the die result (use the number derived from the Habitat Table, if it was reduced to increase Gravity Skill Levels).
Note the social standing result corresponding to the modified die result on the Character Record.
Roll one die again and multiply the die result by the amount of money shown for the acquired social standing. Note this product on the Character Record. Remember, one Tran equals 1,000 Mils."
Okay, I rolled a 10! 10 + (2 x social background multiplier of 1 = 2) + 0 (no Urban Skill Level) - 3 (Environ Skill) =9 I check the Social Standing Table and find the character is from a Skilled Tech Family. This gives the character 1d10 x 1 Trans or 6 Trans with my next die roll and an Initial Skill Point Modifier of +1.

So Ends section 1...

• Locked thread