Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweet and Awful
Oct 26, 2013

Adeptus Evangelion 2.5: Let's Make A hosed-Up Teen!

Using a homebrew mod that uses the Dark Heresy system to recreate the setting of Neon Genesis Evangelion, we're going to make the perfect Pop Idol. For this we'll need the Dark Heresy Core Rulebook and Adeptus Evangelion 2.5.

Let's see, our idol will be a young girl named Mimi Hayes.

Step 1: Background

This replaces the Homeworld from DH and essentially is your background life experience.

The Neo-Spartan has been trained from a young age in combat and piloting.
The Prodigy is fresh blood. Some regular joe who was found to have a natural talent for piloting.
The Manufactured is someone cloned or created in a lab for piloting.
The Impact Survivor was around when catastrophe hit. You're not a pilot, you're a survivor.

Considering the concept I've given earlier, we'll go with the Manufactured.

quote:

Manufactured Skills
Many manufactured display personality traits bordering on the Autistic or Sociopathic. All
manufactured begin play trained in Logic and Deceive.

Deceive and the characteristic associated with it (Fellowship) will be important for living their double life.

quote:

Manufactured Traits
Each Manufactured begins play with 4 traits, two of which are Positive and two of which are
Negative. Choose two traits from each of the following lists.

Immediately, I already know the first Positive trait I want.

quote:

Replaceable - Some Manufactured lines are considered genetically stable enough and important enough to be batch grown. Thus, if one copy should fall in the war with the Angels, another can take its place. Manufactured with this trait begin play with 1d5+3 backup bodies (including the one in use). However, this precludes being able to burn fate to survive and the character may never burn to survive for any reason, though they may choose to burn Fate to activate other abilities (such as Ghost in the Machine). Whenever the Manufactured dies, has a significant physical penalty permanently applied (such as blindness or limb loss), betrays Nerv, or would be removed from play for other reasons a GM might feel are appropriate, a clone in perfect physical health replaces the character. Any and all Assets and Drawbacks taken by the character are assumed to apply to all clones equally.

Because it calls for it, I roll a 1d5 which you might be wondering what that is but that dice roll is called for occasionally in the game. Unless for some strange reason you have an actual 1d5 you just roll a 1d10 and divide by 2. Doing this, I rolled a 5. So this gives us 8 backup bodies, the maximum amount.

Then we give them their second positive trait:

quote:

Implanted Memories - Nerv can’t simply wait around for Manufactured to learn naturally so they did the next best thing: implanting the memories of someone who did. Choose any two skills that are not Dodge, and gain the Talented talent for them both.

The Talented talent comes from the Dark Heresy core rulebook and gives us +10 to our Characteristic when using that skill. This will go into Deceive and Disguise for the use of our alter ego.

Now to pick Negative traits:

quote:

Gullible - The speed at which Manufactured are brought to maturity sometimes means they fail to gain certain social capabilities, specifically an inability to notice ulterior motives. Barter, Blather, Charm, and Deceive Tests made against the character are at a +20 bonus

Mental Conditioning - Various forms of subliminal messaging and indoctrination have been used to make Manufactured incredibly obedient resources for Nerv. To disobey a direct order given in combat by a member of the organization that created them, they must pass a Difficult (-10) Willpower Test. Outside of combat this control lessens but is still present, requiring a Challenging (+0) Willpower Test to disobey.

I think Gullible works well because, despite the fact we're good at lying, being easily trusting helps give her a charming, naive personality. Mental Conditioning represents the organization she works for's control of her, being used to make sure she doesn't leak information to the media.

At the end of the Background page it lists Starting Wounds and Fate Points, but that won't be relevant until Step 3.

Next time: Ruining a Teen's Life! Step 2: Drawbacks and Assets

Sweet and Awful fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet and Awful
Oct 26, 2013

Ah, I appear to have gotten a bit confused last time. Step 2 is where Wounds and Fate Points come into play, and what I thought I'd be doing first is actually part 3.

Step 2: Characteristics

I'm actually not going to be doing this how the book recommends by rolling the numbers and adding the base. There's a variant rule I like in the largely ignorable Adeptus Evangelion Borderline Edition.

quote:

POINT BUY CHARACTER CREATION: Players do not roll any dice during Character Creation. Instead, they are allotted 141
points which are then used to purchase rolls for their Characteristics, Wounds and Fate. Characteristic and Wound rolls cost 1 point
per total value of the dice result purchased. i.e. A roll of 16 in Ballistic Skill costs 16 points. Characters are given the default 2 Fate
Points, but a third may be bought for a number of points equal to twice the minimum roll required for the character to begin with 3
Fate Points. i.e. Buying a third Fate Point on a Prodigy character would cost 16 points. No value may exceed the maximum normally
allowed by Character Creation.

So, for us an extra Fate Point is 20. Considering that we have the Replaceable trait an extra Fate Point isn't as important, so we won't buy it.

In order to determine Characteristics we take the base score our Background gives us and add the points we allot to it. For the record, Characteristics are all percentages you're supposed to roll under to succeed.

quote:

Characteristic: Base + Points = Total

Weapon Skill(WS): 20 + 10 = 30
Ballistics Skill(BS): 20 + 20 = 40
Strength(S): 20 + 10 = 30
Toughness(T): 20 + 10 = 30
Agility(Ag): 20 + 20 = 40
Intelligence(Int): 25 + 20 = 45
Perception(Per): 15 + 10 = 25
Willpower(WP): 23 + 11 = 34
Fellowship(Fel): 20 + 20 = 40
Synch Ratio(SR): 43 + 10 = 53

From here we're able to determine Wounds. Because most combat takes place on Evangelion scale, Pilots only have a single Wound pool acting as their HP as opposed to one for each body part. The roll needed calls for 1d5+ TB + 7. Rolling a 1d5 I get 1. I add that to the Toughness Bonus(TB). The bonus for any skill is always the tens digit.

Wounds: 1 + 3 + 7 = 11

Now on to the part where we actually make them a Pop Idol

Step 3: Drawbacks & Assets

quote:

At Character Creation, all players are required to select Drawbacks for their characters which represent the flawed nature of every pilot ever seen entering an Evangelion in the series. However, in return for each drawback, the character gains a form of credit known as ‘Depth.’ Each character is required to select at least 10 Depth worth of Drawbacks. A character may have as many Drawbacks as they wish, but only gain up to a total of 25 Depth.

We'll go with the full 25 because the Asset needed to make this a Pop Idol is on the expensive end and I just feel its more interesting that way.

quote:

Big Ego
Depth Value: 10
Effect: There’s feeling good about oneself and then there’s believing, and needing to prove, that one is the best of the best. In any situation when someone shows themselves to be more skilled than the pilot with this drawback, the pilot must make an Ordinary (+10) Willpower test or decide to prove their worth to those fools and show them how it is REALLY done. At the next available opportunity, the pilot must choose to attempt some action that imposes at least a net -20 penalty to its roll after all other effects have been applied. This action must be at least somewhat flashy, attention getting, or a blatant attempt to show off their skills. If the Willpower test is passed, they instead take a -10 penalty to Fellowship, Intelligence, and Perception for one hour as they force themselves to swallow their pride, which makes them irritable and distracted.

Civilian
Depth Value: 10
Effect: Some are little prepared for the carnage and destruction left behind after a battle and the images of the horror never leave them. In the aftermath of each battle, the pilot gains a number of Insanity points equal to twice the tens digit of the Collateral Damage total.

Lonely
Depth Value: 5
Effect: The pilot doesn’t handle being by themselves very well. They take a -10 to all tests made when they are isolated with no other people around. Being alone in a space would only count if they were not in contact with other people at the time; as such, this does not apply to being in the entry plug during a battle, as the constant contact with Nerv’s support staff and other pilots provides plenty of emotional reinforcement.

I think these are really good Drawbacks for someone famous. They adore their fans, are used to constant attention and being told they're great at things.

Now, on to Assets. This is how we'll become a Pop Idol.

quote:

Celebrity
Depth Value: 15
Effect: Prior to being recruited by Nerv, this character had a fairly active entertainment career, or other place in the spotlight. Perhaps a child star, or niche singer, or poster boy for a brand of snack cakes. Regardless, they have a talent for entertaining people that grants you training in the Performer skill, as well as the Talented(Performer) talent. In addition your previous glory has not been totally forgotten, granting you the Peer(Media) and Peer(Fans) talents.
Special: This Asset has a large impact on public reaction to the character, as well as the tone of the game, and as such requires GM Permission to take.

Charming
Effect: Gain a permanent +10 to Fellowship based skills involving the gender of your choice.

Uncanny Luck
Effect: A few lucky wins on scratchcards, a small payout from a local lottery, finding twenty bucks on the street; the character has a record of having chance go their way. The character is considered to be trained in the ‘Gamble’ skill and once per session may choose to modify any single, already rolled skill test by rolling 2d10 and subtracting the total from their roll.

Being a Celebrity is what turns us into a Pop Idol when we take the Performer(Singing) Skill. The gender of the Charming trait doesn't matter all that much, it could represent guys who are attracted to her or girls who look up to her. Or however else it's explained. I'll choose male. After that, Uncanny Luck is taken to make her more survivable, since she can't burn Fate Points to live because of her Replaceable trait.

Step 4: Career

We're going to use this to finish up the Character portion and do the Evangelion portion in the next post. Your Career determines what you can buy with your experience points and how much Characteristic increases cost.

quote:

Skirmisher: Generally skilled fighter. Good with both WS and BS.
Pointman: Essentially, the tank. Focused on drawing aggro and taking hits for other people.
Berserker: Heavy hitting Melee character. Focused on forcing your Evangelion to Berserk and getting bonuses from it.
A.T. Technician: Essentially, the Mage. Can do all sorts of tricks that the other pilots can't.

I honestly think A.T. Technician would work best. They could be all about preventing collateral damage in battle.

As such, we start out with 400 xp to buy things and a free starting package.

quote:

Starting Skills: Speak Language (English) (Int), Literacy (Int), Speak Language (any) OR Common Lore (Any)
Starting Talents: Skill Proficiency (Twice), A.T. Power (Deflective Field), AT Power (Neutralize), Manipulation 1, Biological Upgrade or Structural Upgrade.
Starting Gear: Standard Plugsuit, Standard Entry Plug, Nerv ID

We'll take Common Lore(Local News), Skill Proficiency in Disguise and Dodge, from Manipulation 1 we'll get A.T. Power(Restrict Shot) which will allow us to cut down on collateral, and a Structural Upgrade Point(SUP) to give us some extra protection.

After that, we spend the xp.

quote:

Fellowship(Simple) - 200
Manipulation 1 - 100
Quick Spread - 100

For every rank we buy in a characteristic, we increase it by 5. There are four ranks and each one increase the price. The most a skill can be increased by is 20, having bought all ranks in it.

Manipulation 1 nets us another A.T. Power. We'll pick up the Layered Field spread type to give us more protection in battle. Quick Spread will make it easier to switch between spread types.

Bonus: Essentially this is a bard. So, with-in the actual setting of NGE, there aren't any bird people. However with no mechanical bonus or anything with in the system to represent it, from background material of the anime series it might be possible to say your clone has the soul of a bird but only as background fluff. Thus Bird-Lady Bard.

Next Time: The Bigger They Are, The Harder They Fall! Step 5: Creating Your Evangelion

Sweet and Awful fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 26, 2014

Sweet and Awful
Oct 26, 2013

Step 5: Creating Your Evangelion

This is almost created as a separate character though it's a lot faster than character creation. A lot of it is rolled as opposed to the pilot, where almost none of it was.

First we have Characteristics, which are mostly taken from the Pilot.

quote:

WS: 30
BS: 40
S: 30
T: 30
Ag: 40

Now we have Wounds. Unlike our Pilot, each body part has a Wound total and Armor Points(AP). Each Wound total is the Eva's Toughness Bonus (3) + a modifier.

quote:

Armor
Head: 4
R. Arm: 4
L. Arm: 4
Body: 7
R. Leg: 4
L. Leg: 4

Wounds
Head: 3 + 2 = 5
R. Arm: 3 + 4 = 7
L. Arm: 3 + 4 = 7
Body: (3*2) + 5 = 11
R. Leg: 3 + 4 = 7
L. Leg: 3 + 4 = 7

Now we get into the rolling. I'm going to roll a d% on each chart twice to determine the Evangelion's color. First chart is a descriptor and the next is a color.

quote:

First Color
31: Bright
55: Green

Second Color
70: Dark
63: White

Since Dark White isn't really possible we're told to ignore the descriptor, leaving us with Bright Green and White.

After this we roll a d10 on each Distinguishing Features chart. Each one generally provides a benefit and a drawback.

quote:

Distinguishing Features - History
2: Resurrected - During initial testing, there was a cataclysmic core failure that nearly destroyed the Eva entirely. Only by rebuilding the body with parts salvaged from other, failed Evangelions was this Unit saved. Its fractured nature provides a unique buffer in the feedback response, reducing your SR by 5 while you are its pilot but increasing your Feedback Threshold by 1.

Distinguishing Features – Construction
2: Wingless - Because of a production flaw, the EVA lacks Shoulder Pylons on both arms. However, all is not lost. You can still be equipped with wing loadout Structural upgrades, and are no longer limited by the traditional space of 2 wing slots. You may have a number of wing loadout upgrades equal to your Eva’s Toughness Bonus, but each wing loadout costs 1 more SUP than normal.

Distinguishing Features – Mutation
6: Steel Giant - The Evangelion beneath the armor is a powerful beast, noticeably stockier than a normal Eva. The Eva gains an additional AP of 2 for all body locations, but Tests to attack it are at a +10 bonus.

Distinguishing Features - Soul
4: Skittish - Being in the Eva makes you feel like a trapped animal, always alert of every threat around you and ready to make a run for it at the first opportunity. The Eva has the Hunter Berserk Type.

Hunter Berserk Type
Your Evangelion is a predator, pure and simple. A hunter of Angels. When Berserk, the Evangelion gets +20 to its Weapon Skill, +10 to its Ballistic Skill, and +20 to its Agility. However, for every Reaction you use, the pilot takes 1 point of Impact damage to the body that cannot be reduced in any way. The stress of this Evangelion unleashed is just too much for the human body to handle.

Honestly, the image I'm getting of this is something along the lines of Gypsy Danger from Pacific Rim. I'm going to name it Beast Unleashed because the traits seem to point toward something that can't be contained.

Finally, we have one Structural Upgrade Point(SUP) to spend from the Tier 1 list. I'll get Armor Enhancement I so I can work towards getting Entry Plug(Armored) at a later point. With that, we go on to the last step.

Step 6: Putting It All Together

Here is the finalized character sheet:

quote:

Pilot Name: Mimi Hayes
Background: Manufactured
Career: A.T. Technician

Traits
Replaceable: 8 Back-Ups Bodies, Can't burn fate points to save your life.
Implanted Memories: Talented(Deceive) and Talented(Disguise)
Gullible: +20 against Mimi when testing Barter, Blather, Charm, and Deceive.
Mental Conditioning: Difficult Willpower Test(-20) to disobey orders in combat, Challenging Willpower Test(+0) out of combat.

Drawbacks
Big Ego: Ordinary Willpower Test (+10) to show off. Failure: must make a Difficult Test (-20) at first opportunity. Success: -10 modifier for one hour.
Civilian: Gain twice the tens digit of Collateral in Insanity points after combat.
Lonely - -10 modifier to rolls made without human contact.

Assets
Celebrity: Gain Performer Proficiency, Talented(Performer), Peer(Media), Peer(Fans)
Charming: +10 modifier to rolls made against Males.
Uncanny Luck: Gamble Proficiency, once per session subtract 2d10 from a roll.

Characteristics
Int: 45
Per: 25
WP: 34
Fel: 45
SR: 53

Wounds: 11

Skills
Common Lore(Local News)
Deceive
Disguise
Dodge
Gamble
Literacy
Logic
Performer
Speak Language(English)

A.T. Powers
Deflective Field
Layered Field
Neutralize
Restrict Shot

Talents
Peer(Fans)
Peer(Media)
Talented(Deceive)
Talented(Disguise)
Talented(Performer)
Quick Spread

Characteristic Ranks
Fellowship(Simple)

quote:

Evangelion Name: Beast Unleashed
Primary Color: Bright Green
Secondary Color: White

Characteristics

Armor
Head: 7
R. Arm: 7
L. Arm: 7
Body: 10
R. Leg: 7
L. Leg: 7

Wounds
Head: 5
R. Arm: 7
L. Arm: 7
Body: 11
R. Leg: 7
L. Leg: 7

Upgrades:
Armor Enhancement I

Distinguishing Features
Resurrected: reduces your SR by 5 while you are its pilot but increasing your Feedback Threshold by 1.
Wingless: Does not begin with a Wing Loadout but instead can buy wing loadout upgrades equal to your Eva’s Toughness Bonus, but each wing loadout costs 1 more SUP than normal.
Steel Giant: The Eva gains an additional AP of 2 for all body locations, but Tests to attack it are at a +10 bonus.
Skittish: Hunter Berserk Type

Hunter Berserk Type: When Berserk, +20 to Weapon Skill, +10 to Ballistic Skill, and +20 to Agility. However, for every Reaction you use, the pilot takes 1 point of Impact damage to the body that cannot be reduced in any way.

• Locked thread