Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Note to self; never ever bank on being able to watch the later airing of this show. Had to juggle around my DVR priorities a bit, and it turns out that the broadcast had fifteen minutes of the finale rerun eating into the beginning and stopped recording long before the episode itself actually finished...
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

precision posted:

Liz's dedication to brainwashing Paige is kind of putting me off her character to be honest.
I don't wanna really get into playing the devil's advocate too much here, since we all know what side these characters are playing for, but that's definitely not the read I was taking away from their scenes. "Not being Christian" isn't really brainwashing her- Elizabeth, and to a lesser extent, Philip, were both raised outside of religion and are terrified that the church is the one doing the brainwashing, and they want to keep her the gently caress away from it. It seemed more like a reactionary gut-instinct than a conscious effort. Sure, you could argue that them suspecting the church of brainwashing her and trying to keep her away from it is, in itself, brainwashing as well... but then we start getting into a really nebulous territory, and the term loses a lot of meaning.

And from the outside looking in, I think that's a pretty understandable reaction for this situation. Despite never raising her to show an interest, this church still somehow "got" to her in the same way that Phil and Liz (both highly-trained spies) often go after people themselves. That's a pretty terrifying concept for a couple of people who already aren't big fans of religion. And let's be honest; with how it's been presented so far, this church is sketchy as gently caress from their perspective (whether or not it actually pans out, or is just skewed with protagonist-bias). She just randomly starts going in secret like it's some kind of cult, then when she gets caught and receives a small slap on the wrist for lying about it, she suddenly "donates" all of the money that she has access to without any oversight from her parents, which just reeks of a scam. Even if it is entirely benign, it doesn't look great and plays right into the suspicion of religion being a dishonest organization.

• Locked thread