Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hand of the King posted:

Paige is starting to piss me off. I wish her story line would go away soon.

Bad news on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I guess they'll get to it in season 3 but it'll be interesting to see what they do with the rapid turnover in general secretaries after Brezhnev dies.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty sure she was supposed to be a Sandinista.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Downton Abbey's one of the highest rated shows on TV. It's more lack of promotion and somewhat high concept. Also being on basic cable.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Propaganda Machine posted:

What am I missing?

Henry's cheap star wheel was a piece of poo poo.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I like that they've worked in the beginnings of the Kongsberg-Toshiba espionage case into the story. Very nice detail.

It's neat they're going for something like that as a plot device rather than SDI. Late Soviet computer systems are kinda interesting because of CoCom forcing them to half reverse engineer what they could steal and half come up with stuff on their own.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 13, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
His response to Paige's story about having to prep for a debate club tryout was the perfect level of sarcasm.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Oh no Paige found the one group of people worse than rapey kidnappers- suburban evangelicals.:ohdear:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fetus Tree posted:

What was that fakewife doing with the recorder and all that? I'm a bit confused by that

Pretty sure that was the recorder she set up in Gaad's office.

Some neat parallels about compartmentalization in the writing- Oleg using his family connections to upgrade his security clearance to learn more about Nina, Gaad getting sidelined because Stan's not a big enough fish for the Congressional subcommittee investigating the guy he shot who they think is a KGB agent. Also, anyone else totally not buying Claudia's newfound concern for her agents?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They handled it pretty well last season with the plot involving bugging Caspar Weinberger's house.

Earwicker posted:

The death of Brezhnev will be a big topic soon I'm sure since I think the show is at some point in late 81 or early 82 now? That will probably cause some sort of shakeup. Maybe Arkady will be promoted or sent off somewhere and that annoying new guy with the family connections (Oleg?) will become Nina's new boss.

Yeah there was an offhand line from Arkady in the last episode about Andropov and how he thinks he'll be general secretary one day. Of course the funny thing is it'd been well known in the government by then that Brezhnev was in piss poor shape, and a faction within the Secretariat had been running the country for a while, with Andropov pushing to be Brezhnev's successor instead of Mikhail Suslov, who also died in early '82.

I don't think the writing's that deep, but it'd be something if it was Arkady intimating to Oleg that he had some higher level knowledge of what was happening back in Moscow in response to Oleg using family connections to finagle a higher security clearance.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 26, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Narcissus1916 posted:

hey history people, what would Anton the scientists' life be like back in the Soviet Union?

Are we talking torture, house arrest, or just a "go work in the goddamn fields"? Or would they coerce him into building the same technology for them?

Prison laboratory. At least until Gorbachev started freeing political prisoners as part of Glasnost.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 28, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

savinhill posted:

I wonder what direction Phil & Liz and the show will go in after the reckoning? Will they just keep doing the same until they can figure out an escape strategy, or will something happen this season that forces them into double agency? I was thinking they might try to feel out Beeman, but then again, so much poo poo has gone down that might make that the worst thing they could do.

That would be hilarious if a bit predictable- finally agree to defect with Stan's help only to find out he's been reassigned or some other bureaucratic nonsense so they're left out in the wind and on the run from whoever the Kremlin sends in as a cleaner.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

That's pretty hosed up.

To be fair there's few people with more direct knowledge of the subject.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The handler mentioned to Phillip that they'd planted fake plans all over the country though. Oleg brought up the sped-up deployment process to point out the Soviets didn't do their due diligence to ensure the plans were any good.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DarklyDreaming posted:

The short version is that the American government, the Soviet Union, and Christian missionaries do the same basic thing all the time: Offer help to countries like Nicaragua, just as long as you swear loyalty to their side

More accurately they offer some people help, but it's usually contingent on loving over everyone else in their country, which they'd largely been doing already or had been in the past.

cenotaph posted:

It really doesn't have anything to do with rebellion and everything to do with being a responsible adult. You can't assume anything with kids, especially teens, especially when you're in a position of (presumably) respected authority.

Yep; it's the reason trust funds were created and why minors generally can't enter into contracts by themselves. You can only trust kids on their own with a little amount of buying power because our decisionmaking skills aren't fully developed until the early 20s. Longer in some people's cases.

The pastor should've contacted Philip and Elizabeth about her offer. Straight up accepting that much money from a child is sketchy poo poo.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 25, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hand of the King posted:

Okay... so why is the military guy back in the states again? I thought he left for Cuba or somewhere?

Larrick was overseeing Contra rebels in Nicaragua. He came back because he got word about the deaths at the training camp in Virginia, knowing who'd likely be involved.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
He probably figures it could eventually blow back on him if the people involved get caught.

I would say he didn't figure they'd actually kill anyone, but that's stupid and naive even for a CIA operator.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Propaganda Machine posted:

If memory serves, some of them went via flights originating in Portland, Maine, an airport which has 10 whole gates and, I'm assuming, security to match (at least pre-9/11).

Heh, it's still pretty low-key there today.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

pentyne posted:

I'd be nice for season 3 to really set up a division between Phillip and Liz where he starts to see the writing on the wall re: Russian being completely out of its depth and close to collapse, but Liz is still "no that's capitalistic propoganda, our children belong to The Cause Glorious Russia will triumph".

The problem there is at the time few people outside the central committee were truly aware how dire things were, in large part because of secrecy but also what information was available was often unreliable.

No idea how long the show will run, but it'd be really interesting if they included the USSR's dissolution and the continuity in Russia's foreign operations, since the spy programs obviously didn't disappear overnight in 1991.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

coma posted:

I think I might be done with this show, the "second-generation" illegals thing is completely retarded. Why would you risk trying to turn a hitherto clueless child into a plant at the CIA/FBI/DoD when you can just do what you've been doing already, which is turning people within the organization, which is how it was actually done with great effect in the 70s and 80s and how it was already working in the show.

I'd honestly be surprised if they went in that literal a direction. That's like network level dumb. If anything it'll be a background threat which serves to drive a deeper wedge between Philip and Elizabeth.

I hope at some point the show has them either go back to Russia (not likely) or somehow put them into a situation where they confront the fact it's not the same place they left 20 years prior.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JohnSherman posted:

Wow, and I thought zoux was weird for refusing to watch a show that hasn't been renewed. It's absolutely hilarious to me that anyone would consider quitting a show because of what they think might happen next season based on five minutes of dialogue. Most likely this will just be a source of tension, and Paige will remain blissfully unaware of what her parents do. Even if they go through with it, there's no reason to assume that, given the timeline of the show, it would progress further than just introducing her to Soviet ideology. That actually would have the potential to be really interesting. It's not like they'll all of a sudden have Paige acting as her parents' getaway driver.

To be fair it was introduced in an extremely ham-handed fashion, which could lead people to reasonably believe they'd follow through with it in equally stupid measure.

e: And of course Alan Sepinwall thinks it's the greatest thing ever.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 24, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I think you meant say Skeletor joins the KGB. Though admittedly Nixon was a much more sinister villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I think I'm more stoked about the season covering Brezhnev's death. Andropov really destabilized the party apparatus in the short amount of time he was in charge.

• Locked thread