Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ugh. Why do I have the feeling that the whole reason Paige is ~On Fire For Jesus~ now is so Ollie loving North could put what was basically a cross between a Chick Tract and that ludicrous scene from every Catechism/teen Sunday School VHS tape about what to do if your parents are atheists and you're a person of faith.

I've got the same concern. The way he reacted to the guy saying he believes there's forgiveness for everyone, I'm concerned it's going to get a little goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

cenotaph posted:

That preacher was a real creep. Who takes $600 from a teenager without contacting their parents?

Seriously. That's a lot today but inflation adjusted from '86 it's worth ~$1,300.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

i love the parts with martha because im always afraid its her time to die

Absolutely, christ. The dramatic irony's so thick I'm expecting it to resolve like Greek Tragedy

Edit:

TV’s Saddest Character: Martha on The Americans

quote:

If The Americans makes brutal spy missions seem cool — and come on, it does — then Martha represents the cost of that coolness, the actual heartlessness it would require to carry on as Clark or even as Phillip. She clues us in to just how brutal and destabilized Phillip and Elizabeth's world is: Martha's a nice, normal person who wants a nice, normal life. And she seems like a ridiculous fool and complete patsy and might as well have "future murder victim" embroidered on her nice, normal officewear. Love hurts.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 16, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

SCARYJEINFELD posted:

I'm going to miss Larrick, he was a piece of poo poo but in a different story he would be hero (or atleast anti-hero) instead of the big bad.

Yeah, from the US perspective, he literally was the good guy. And why'd he die? Too good guy-ish! He assumed the kid was a kid and even planned to take them alive.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

solovyov posted:

He's basically a more competent (and gay) Oliver North. No. He was not the good guy to many people from a US perspective.

Still, though, if you flip the perspective around, he'd fit a pretty generic good guy's mold. The average hero gets a lot of poo poo glossed over.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

leidend posted:

I still don't understand why the kid killed his own parents?

I didn't catch all of it, but I think the dad wanted to put a stop to his recruitment. Not only did this threaten Jared's notions of being a spy, being part of The Cause and all that, but the handler had used sex to coax him in, so he had ~romance~ on the line, too. Middle of a heated argument, he snapped on pops and leaned on his shiny new identity and training in killing the witnesses and get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, something subtle from Jared would've been great, like if they left it at, "Make sure The Center knows, m-make su- [inaudible]." Have Elizabeth and Philip try and puzzle it out in the car, set you up for that revelatory clue about Claire. It wouldn't have come limply rolling out that way.

• Locked thread