Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

Woden posted:

I mean if they're scared about people like Phil and Liz having back stories too lovely to get a job at the CIA WTF do they think will happen when Paige applies? Of course they're going to go through the whole family looking for dirt to dredge up, only real difference I see is she wont have to make up her childhood I guess.

I think it's believable enough. Phillip and Elizabeth obviously have some degree of documentation pointing to them being citizens, but I would guess that there's not much about their fake parents and that part of their life. The idea is, if they really looked into their nationality carefully, FBI/CIA could maybe figure it out. Paige was legitimately born in the USA and could easily show records of all of that. To some extent, the CIA likely looks at family, but it's not going to be the same level of scrutiny as the actual candidate. I'd guess they just look for obvious, glaring issues. If they do a cursory investigation and see Phil and Liz appear to be boring US citizens to run a travel agency, I think it's believable that'd be sufficient.

I've seen reports that these days there are literally over a million people with top secret clearance. I'm not sure the background check is as incredibly invasive and detailed as people think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I get a laugh out of Liz's hypocrisy. "Don't you DARE go and believe in a power higher than yourself. It's STUPID to believe that there's something more powerful than you to which you must devote your life for their Cause".

Well, to be fair, the Cause concerns an ideology that is actually being implemented by an actual country she's a part of. Whereas from her point of view, the church concerns a fictional story about a fictional messiah. It's not as though being anti-religion requires you to be nihilistic. It's just a matter of different philosophies/ideologies. It's not really any more hypocritical than it would be for one of Paige's church buddies to be anti-communism.

• Locked thread