Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm officially excited. :dance:

I'm going to replay Papers Please to get in the mood. The guy who made that missed a real golden opportunity to put the characters' names in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am way beyond pumped now. gently caress yes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Good lord what a start to the season.

I assume when Philip said "do you want the other half of the list?" he was basically saying that the other KGB couple may have been killed by Mags Bennett (pursuant to the earlier "She's still in the country? Oh poo poo" moment), perhaps even specifically as a warning to them?

Also, that was a lot of nudity for basic cable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My grandparents owned that exact car in the 80s.

You know, the wigs are fine but for some reason the sideburns keep bothering me...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am going to be really sad when Stan and Phil end up as enemies.

Haha, "How about Montreal?" :geno:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really hate The New Guy at KGB central.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
...is she on PCP? How '80s.

e: oh, crack and 'ludes. Even better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eh, this episode had to be a bit slow, I think. Can't be nonstop episodes like the premiere and I thought it did a pretty good job of showing the fallout from it. Given what people like Sepinwall have said about the first 5 episodes I think it'll ramp back up really soon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn how good was that episode?

The whole thing was tense as gently caress. Factory guy intimidation was incredible acting.

Appreciated how after Philip did his Bad Cop routine on Paige, he gave that look over his shoulder to let us know he hated having to be that harsh with her. Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell deserve all the awards.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that Paige's new friend was KGB (when Philip said the kids would have people "on them" and that they wouldn't be able to tell who they were, etc).

And I take it back, New Guy at KGB HQ is growing on me. I don't know if he'll end up being a goofy America-lover or if he's trying to spy on her for his dad, but either way, he was fun in his scene this week.

Feel so bad for Stan though, he's getting played so hard and obviously still has feelings for his wife (and vice versa) so it's going to really suck when the poo poo hits the propeller.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr.Caligari posted:

The other thing is, I am sure they were pretty deep into the facility. Once they left the room he could have easily notified someone and had them apprehended, then took the picture of his son back.

I feel this is all just nit-picking though, I loved this episode and the whole series so far.

I read the scene as that guy was a barely-paid milquetoast who knew she was, if not a literal Russian spy, SOME kind of bad news, and he just didn't want to be any part of it. It's not even the physical menacing that she did, it was just the possibility of getting involved in poo poo that's far above his pay grade.

Or is this another goon thing like "heh, if it were me I would have totally kicked her rear end :clint: "? In the early 80s atmosphere, it's pretty drat believable that some schmuck in a warehouse just wanted it to be over with. You have to keep in mind how paranoid everyone was at the time, due to all the propaganda about the Cold War.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tortolia posted:

Presumably she's just a KGB sympathiser/operative who actually lives there. When Elizabeth needed the "aunt" cover story they got a picture or two of the Jennings to put up to reinforce the story. Nothing weird about it in my mind.

Plus, as Phillip said, the kids had agents watching them the whole time they were gone (again, I think the girl on the bus was one of them). Surely someone called "Aunt Helen" before Paige actually got there, it was a long bus ride.

JohnSherman posted:

Considering how wrapped up you guys have been about the warehouse scene, (Seriously, he was a loving janitor, I doubt he was willing to risk dying to protect a milling machine)

Exactly this, how hard is it to figure out that the guy was a nobody who wanted nothing to do with any potentially illegal or sketchy poo poo. Even if he had ran for it and got help and got Elizabeth caught, it's not at all weird to think that his thought process included "she's not working alone, someone sent her" and that those "someones" might have something to say or do to a guy who gets one of their agents caught.

Don't make me turn this thread around! :argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Twee as gently caress posted:

The guy is a factory worker in the middle of the day faced with a woman he has at least 6 inches and 100 pounds on her. Not only that, but he's working somewhere where he needs to have a security clearance so it's not like he's a guy on his milk run not thinking about the possibility of danger.

Are you intentionally ignoring the subtext that he was worried about his family even before she threatened them, and that he is in America in the early 80s and has every right to be worried that if he didn't cooperate whoever sent Elizabeth would track him down and murder his whole family?

It's like you're not even watching the show!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just waiting for Paige to dye her hair green and hang a Dead Kennedys poster up, causing much confusion for Liz and Phil.

Though seriously it would be great if one of the retro musical sequences we get is set to "California Uber Alles".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That was the saddest handjob I've ever seen on cable television.

Also, did not see the twist that Claudia actually cares about Liz and Phil coming.

And :tviv: that fight at the end. :drat:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mobby_6kl posted:

Go watch Breaking Bad. Also I don't think Claudia necessarily cares about anyone...

Oh yeah - second saddest handjibber on cable TV, then.

I'm willing to be wrong but for now it seems to me that Claudia isn't faking. It's more interesting than having her come back just to twirl her mustache some more, so I hope it isn't a psyche-out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

Did people in the early 80s usually wash their hair in the sink? If Martha doesn't have a shower, that might explain how she hasn't noticed that Philip is wearing a wig constantly.

People still do this. It's pretty common.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

howe_sam posted:

Claudia had them kidnapped and tortured to see if they were a security risk.

She was also just generally really unpleasant and rude to them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Haven't watched the promo but I am going to guess that Martha isn't gonna make it past tonight's episode, or maybe next week.

Oh, picking up exactly where we left off, I see.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy awkward, ahahahahaha.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ewwww. This episode is really going for all kinds of awkward.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Language, Adult Situations, Graphic Pooping

Viewer Discretion Is Advised

e: So this episode is an extra half hour? Or whole hour?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh hey, new Fargo preview. drat that show is looking good as hell. Gotta remember to make the OP next week.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
gently caress this is brutal. Philip's gonna let him go, isn't he?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:tviv:

Well now Stan knows Nina is playing him... this is going to get intense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zero One posted:

No, he doesn't. He thinks that Oleg knows that Nina is an agent. Stan still doesn't know that she is a double.

Oh, duh, I forgot the specifics of the later part of last season. Never mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Suddenly I'm no longer laughing at how funny the word "refusenik" is. :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When you read about some of these decisions that Russia thought were actually good ideas in the goddamn late 1900s you wonder how they were ever considered a real actual threat, and/or how they ever got anything done at all.

I mean Jesus Christ you don't fire your super-scientists because they believe in some harmless funny thing this is like Civilization 101 people. It would be like America firing every scientist that's an atheist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stan and Phil are like Hank and Heisenberg, except they're both Hank. I am really dreading their eventual confrontation.

Unless of course Stan gets turned, which I think is possible given he doesn't seem to care about his job in any deep moral sense.

I love that I have no clue where this show is going.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tonight, on a very special episode of The Americans:

Freaky sex! Butts!

:v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I keep wanting to post but I just know this thread is treading on the thinnest ice imaginable.

Discussing sex on SA: not even once.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The dad rock song Phil was singing was the Eddie Rabbit classic "Drivin' My Life Away" and it rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvEvBUG8mY

Thought that was a pretty great episode, Oleg is actually getting likable now ("I like Negro churches! I love the music! MARVIN GAYE!")

Liz is so going to kill the Nicaraguan girl though, and it will be sad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would say this show is easily worth $2 an episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Probably the best episode this season, at least since the premiere. It's amazing that I hated Oleg so much at first and now he's fantastic, and I genuinely don't know if he's "true to the cause :ussr: " or if he's smart enough to just be really cynical about both sides.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the implication is that Oleg's dad is involved in the KGB's more criminal side of things, though I may be remembering wrong. He certainly acts like the boss at the Residentura should be afraid of pissing him off, and is not afraid to gently caress around at work with no repercussions. I don't think it's all empty arrogance, and if he does end up wanting to defect that could be huge.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh come on you just know there will be an episode where Henry is all like "DAD YOU HAVE TO TAKE ME TO SEE THE NEW STAR WARS MOVIE". Because trust me, I was there, every kid in the entire country was all over that poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What happened before the intro? I forgot it was Wednesday.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Uh holy poo poo Philip

:stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahaha Dr. Ruth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Liz's dedication to brainwashing Paige is kind of putting me off her character to be honest.

I thought her making that friend on the bus was actually gonna be a plot point of some kind, weird how it hasn't come up again at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Showing butts is getting to be a running joke/theme this season I see.

• Locked thread