Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

sweeperbravo posted:

Melting Dave from Alvin and the Chipmunks
When I was really young, I used to watch the 80's (90's?) Alvin and the Chipmunks show that used to be on whatever channel. There was an episode that featured Dave for some reason getting a life-size wax replica of himself. At one point in the show, it's near the window and the heat from the sun starts to melt it.

I haven't been able to find the episode, but god loving dammit, I had nightmares about his terrifying melting face for several days.

Haha, goddamn it, I'd forgotten about this, but this totally terrified me too. I remember one of the chipmunks gasping when he discovers the half-melted Dave left outside in the lawnchair, or something.

There was also a tendency for cartoons around that era to have nightmarish alternate timeline "just a dream" episodes, and those scared the hell out of me. I don't even remember what happened in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one, but it gave me nightmares. Also the Gargoyles one where Broadway is brain-damaged and had his eyes gouged out.

sweeperbravo posted:

edit: Here, apparently, is the description for the Wax Dave episode, courtesy of Wikipedia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdH47YMPMx0
Ohhhhhh my god go to 8:40. That is nothing how I remembered it and is so not at all scary I can't fathom why I was ever scared of it.

Ha, I replied before I realized you'd posted this. I'll be honest, I still find it kind of unnerving, but that's not at all what I remember the face looking like. I remembered the eyes being wide open, and one dripped halfway down his head or something.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Rollersnake posted:

Ha, I replied before I realized you'd posted this. I'll be honest, I still find it kind of unnerving, but that's not at all what I remember the face looking like. I remembered the eyes being wide open, and one dripped halfway down his head or something.

Like, the way it actually it is, he just kind of looks like an old man, right? I remembered it being REALLY deformed, kind of pinched up like that but way more disturbing- very unnatural, very aggressively "not right."

I thought of another one because I was watching

The beginning of Fantasia
And I remembered that that whole beginning sequence used to be pretty terrifying. Not to the extent that I hid from it like the air conditioner but for some reason I was really uncomfortable with the music playing as the orchestra members came in to sit down and warm up (I guess warming-up sounds are pretty scary) but then they were all kept in silhouettes and abstract representations the rest of the first piece- an effect I can appreciate now, but at the time it was VERY creepy. One brief clip showed a rock "walking" down a tunnel away from the camera and that was the pinnacle of what scared me in that scene.

Again, I don't know what my problem was. I had no issues whatsoever with the Sorcerer's Apprentice scene or the Night on Bald Mountain section. The beginning of the Rite of Spring segment was pretty scary- that's the dinosaur part but at the beginning it shows the literal beginning of earth being a molten volcano lava ball and I think I found the idea of earth having been a lifeless planet, accompanied by the angry sounding music, really unnerving. I also thought it was really cool though so I couldn't just skip that part. It was a rough childhood.

spiders
Feb 10, 2014
When I was 9-10 I was deathly afraid of Osama Bin Laden scaling the side of our house, bursting through my window, and killing me. I had to sleep facing the window so he couldn't sneak up on me. :(

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
When I was a kid my mom and I moved to grandma's for a while. Our bed was downstairs and faced the staircase, well, half the staircase, the other half turned into the wall. I used to stare fixedly at the darkness on that staircase, just utterly terrified something would be coming down it.

E.T. is a horror movie, I don't care what anyone says. Gremlins freaked me out a little too. I used to have dreams about the mom from muppet babies and how I'd be terrified to look up, obviously if we aren't shown her face, it's too scary to be shown.

My mom let me watch IT when I was little. Was scared of drains or drainish things, even the pool filters, how they're dark and there's that choppy water noise they make. I was always afraid a hand was going to whip out of one. And thanks to Stephen King again for making me afraid to enter a bathroom if the shower curtain is closed. I'd have to hold my breath and jerk it open so I could pee without paralyzing fear.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Uzi Suicide posted:

Hi Commodore 64 fears buddy! Playing Friday the 13th. 2 things. 1) The scream whenever someone dies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkqDMLXO-mU&t=153s 2) When this appears randomly on the screen with a blood curdling scream, I'd have to basically shut off the system: http://imgur.com/7sTFa1Y

I'm 2 years older than my brother and I would force him to play that just to so I could watch, the suspense was absolutely loving terrifying.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is it unreasonable to be afraid of the X-Files opening sequence as a kid? Because it was scary as gently caress.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Kurtofan posted:

Is it unreasonable to be afraid of the X-Files opening sequence as a kid? Because it was scary as gently caress.

Growing up, everyone I knew was scared of that clown that appears onscreen during the opening of "Are You Afraid of the Dark." I was more scared of the empty moving swing :ohdear:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sweeperbravo posted:

Growing up, everyone I knew was scared of that clown that appears onscreen during the opening of "Are You Afraid of the Dark." I was more scared of the empty moving swing :ohdear:

I know it's weird, but I used to have nightmares about the housewife from Tom and Jerry (Wikipedia tells me she's called "Mammy Two Shoes").

It was horrible, you never saw her head, she was huge and she had a broom she used to beat Tom with :ohdear:

For years I was uneasy watching Tom and Jerry.

Kurtofan has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Aug 21, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Mummies. I was 10, A&E had a hard-on for anything Egypt, and my parents just lapped that poo poo up. It probably didn't help that, outside of mummies, and footage taken from inside their tombs, I was fascinated by the poo poo too.

Of course, my parents thought the best response was to be logical about my fears. For example, even if they were specifically out to get me, and if they could somehow get out of their tombs or the glass cases of the museums, how were they going to cross the ocean to get to me?

Of course, I couldn't just accept that logic, and my little brain took that as a challenge: How would they do it? Planes were right out of course, no one would let a plane take off with an undead on board. They could take a boat, but that would still risk discovery. And then my poor, poor little mind came to the obvious solution: they could just walk across the ocean floor. It would take a long time of course, but who knew when they'd started, and maybe they'd already finished and were right out my window and augh! And sometimes, in the middle of the day I'd get this flash of dozens of undead, slowly marching across the ocean floor, unstoppable, implacable. Did I mention that I may as well have been living dead center of the US at the time? Yeah, I was a dumb kid.

I may have been one of the few people that, as an adult, laughed very, very hard at the scene of an undead pirate crew marching across the ocean floor in the first Pirates of the Carribean movie, however.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

I loved Garbage Pail Kids when I was little, but there were a handful of them that I found extremely upsetting, and this was one of them:

So, yeah.

This suddenly reminded me of one that absolutely tormented me as an older kid all the way through middle teenager-hood. Remember that old song about how you're not supposed to laugh as the hearse goes by? Yeah, for whatever reason my brain absolutely loving FIXED on that song (for a kid with poorly-controlled ADD, that in itself was a horrible new change), specifically the verses about all the gross things the worms would do to you. I'd start thinking about it like out of nowhere and I wouldn't be able to stop; it was worse when I tried to sleep. Sometimes it'd actually make me start hyperventilating and crying because I couldn't stop thinking about those goddamned worms.

Astrofig has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Aug 22, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

No, that theme is still creepy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Henchman of Santa posted:

No, that theme is still creepy.

I never understood what was up with the eggs :ohdear:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

When I was a kid I had two fears that got me more than anything else.

The first fear was being torn apart by a pack of wild dogs. I don't know why, but I was terrified that a pack of ferals would come out of nowhere and rip me apart. I loved pet dogs, especially big ones, cause I figured they'd protect me.

The second fear was werewolves, because werewolves were packs of wild dogs that could open doors! That was the fear there, that the ability to become human would allow a bunch of werewolves into my house before ripping me to shreds.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
When I was a kid, my childhood home had a fairly large tree in the middle of the backyard. Now, I'm not sure why but my dad had to cut a branch off of it. It was a pretty big branch, facing towards my dad's garage/bait shop. When the limb was removed, it left a big spot on the tree without bark and everything.

I'm not sure why this freaked my little kid mind out, but I was terrified of it. When I'd go out to play, I would only play on the opposite side of the tree, and if I was in the shop hanging out with my dad, I would hide under the worm counting table, lest the tree "see me".

That damned tree was the source of a bunch of nightmares and general terrified screaming fits. My dad was a cool guy though and picked me up, took me to the tree (kicking and screaming I might add!) and held me up to touch the "tree scar" as he called it, to prove that it wasn't a giant, scary eyeball. :3:

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

cuntvalet posted:

When I was a kid, my childhood home had a fairly large tree in the middle of the backyard. Now, I'm not sure why but my dad had to cut a branch off of it. It was a pretty big branch, facing towards my dad's garage/bait shop. When the limb was removed, it left a big spot on the tree without bark and everything.

I'm not sure why this freaked my little kid mind out, but I was terrified of it. When I'd go out to play, I would only play on the opposite side of the tree, and if I was in the shop hanging out with my dad, I would hide under the worm counting table, lest the tree "see me".

That damned tree was the source of a bunch of nightmares and general terrified screaming fits. My dad was a cool guy though and picked me up, took me to the tree (kicking and screaming I might add!) and held me up to touch the "tree scar" as he called it, to prove that it wasn't a giant, scary eyeball. :3:

We had the opposite of this when I was a kid. There was a branch that would sometimes groan and bump into the wall of the room my brother and I shared. My brother was convinced that the sound was a cow trapped in the wall. Every storm or strong wind would give him nightmares, and he'd wake up to that sound. After a summer of dealing with that, one more night was too much. Cue our dad borrowing the neighbor's chainsaw and lopping the branch off at two in the morning. My brother though he killed the cow with the chainsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

cuntvalet posted:

scary tree story

This reminds me of when I was a kid, and a friend and I used to watch kung-fu movies and then take broomsticks and 'train' on trees in his back lot. One day we went out to the back forty and found this really old, decrepit tree and he challenged me to whack it as hard as I could, which I did. Nothing happened, so I gave it another shot and the thing split in half, showing that it was pretty much entirely hollowed out and contained a gigantic wasp nest.

I've never had a terror run like that ever again, and by the time we got back you could still see the giant swarm of wasps from the other end of the lot. Cue an unreasonable terror of dead trees for the next ten years.

• Locked thread