Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Toad on a Hat posted:

You know those glaucoma test things with the air puffs at the eye doctor? I hate those things. I'm convinced that somehow it's going to shoot a needle through my eye. Why? Who knows!

My eye doctor actually told me once that when they do that test, it sticks a tiny needle in your eye. I believed him but was old enough (like probably eleven or twelve) that it didn't really scare me, I figured, oh well, I've done it all these other years, guess it doesn't hurt or anything and they're probably really good at not messing it up. I probably asked the next year and he told me he was just kidding.

Melting Dave from Alvin and the Chipmunks
When I was really young, I used to watch the 80's (90's?) Alvin and the Chipmunks show that used to be on whatever channel. There was an episode that featured Dave for some reason getting a life-size wax replica of himself. At one point in the show, it's near the window and the heat from the sun starts to melt it.

I haven't been able to find the episode, but god loving dammit, I had nightmares about his terrifying melting face for several days. Then for some reason I had a small plastic orange toy, probably no bigger than 2 or 3 inches, that was a figure of maybe King Kong or something, some sort of ape-like figure, and I somehow had an association between it and the Melting Dave Head and was so scared that at some point I would look at it and see that face that I hid it in the end table drawer in my parents' room.

The Brave Little Toaster
Also, a lot of people were scared of the killer-clown-nightmare scene in The Brave Little Toaster. I am apparently, for reasons I'm not sure about, completely immune to any type of clown scariness, so that scene was always just meh for me. Like it was spooky, and I remember feeling bad for the characters and hoping they'd be okay, but I didn't feel personally afraid.

I *was* terrified of at the end, when they're in the junkyard, not the part where their owner is about to get crushed to death in the stampy thing (though again I sympathized with him and wanted him to be okay), but that loving magnet crane as it crept through the huge, huge piles of debris (that junkyard was brilliantly creepy) and came after them- especially the point where it got really, really mad, for some reason changed colors, chasing maniacally after them, and then its rage was so purified that its eyes squinted away to disappearing (I guess because a person showed up and they always changed back to "regular object" state when a person was around) and quietly continued to pursue them.

However the one part of that movie that honestly prompted me to get up out of my seat and hide behind my chair until it was done was the scene toward the beginning with the Air Conditioner. Like, I don't remember any other part of any other movie scaring me as much as that part. He starts getting mad, then starts to get so furious he is screaming about being trapped in the wall forever and ever (which probably was a contributing factor to my claustrophobia), yelling so hard he has the equivalent of like a loving brain aneurysm or whatever and sputters out of control until he explodes. Okay, okay, that's all scary, I didn't like watching that part. But the worst part was after he's exploded, and the other characters peer out from their hiding place and they see the image on the right:

Just sitting there, dead, unanimated, smoke creeping up into the air, the grill falling with a clatter to the ground while a quiet, dark, solemn music plays.

As soon as their argument started I would just get myself right the gently caress behind my chair and I wouldn't come back out until that clatter and that horribly sad music had finished and the next scene started.

That was honest to god my favorite movie growing up.

edit: Here, apparently, is the description for the Wax Dave episode, courtesy of Wikipedia:

quote:

39A. "Whatever Happened to Dave Seville?"
Written by: Dianne Dixon
When Dave wins a producer’s award, a wax figure of him for a Hall of Fame is delivered, unbeknownst to the Chipmunks. While playing ball in the house, which Dave strictly forbid before he left, Alvin hits the wax figure of Dave with his ball, toppling him over. After watching a soap opera, they think he has developed a strange disease called "Zomboidrigidosis" and begin retelling his life for him, hoping he will snap out of it.

Broadcast September 27, 1986

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdH47YMPMx0
Ohhhhhh my god go to 8:40. That is nothing how I remembered it and is so not at all scary I can't fathom why I was ever scared of it.

sweeperbravo has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

Ha, I replied before I realized you'd posted this. I'll be honest, I still find it kind of unnerving, but that's not at all what I remember the face looking like. I remembered the eyes being wide open, and one dripped halfway down his head or something.

Like, the way it actually it is, he just kind of looks like an old man, right? I remembered it being REALLY deformed, kind of pinched up like that but way more disturbing- very unnatural, very aggressively "not right."

I thought of another one because I was watching

The beginning of Fantasia
And I remembered that that whole beginning sequence used to be pretty terrifying. Not to the extent that I hid from it like the air conditioner but for some reason I was really uncomfortable with the music playing as the orchestra members came in to sit down and warm up (I guess warming-up sounds are pretty scary) but then they were all kept in silhouettes and abstract representations the rest of the first piece- an effect I can appreciate now, but at the time it was VERY creepy. One brief clip showed a rock "walking" down a tunnel away from the camera and that was the pinnacle of what scared me in that scene.

Again, I don't know what my problem was. I had no issues whatsoever with the Sorcerer's Apprentice scene or the Night on Bald Mountain section. The beginning of the Rite of Spring segment was pretty scary- that's the dinosaur part but at the beginning it shows the literal beginning of earth being a molten volcano lava ball and I think I found the idea of earth having been a lifeless planet, accompanied by the angry sounding music, really unnerving. I also thought it was really cool though so I couldn't just skip that part. It was a rough childhood.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Is it unreasonable to be afraid of the X-Files opening sequence as a kid? Because it was scary as gently caress.

Growing up, everyone I knew was scared of that clown that appears onscreen during the opening of "Are You Afraid of the Dark." I was more scared of the empty moving swing :ohdear:

• Locked thread