Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

curiousTerminal posted:

Well it works for Willam...

That's because Willam is magical. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Hmm, I wonder how my first impression of Magnolia shapes up to how the episode played out...

Ghostpilot posted:

She just reeks of :geno: and :effort:.

Yeah, sounds about right. With a splash of bad attitude. You won't be missed.

With the dual premiere, I wonder if the season will end up playing out a team dynamic. Maybe not deliberately, but there certainly seems to be cliques forming.

Now, if only the earth would swallow Gia Gunn.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 5, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

This showed up in my youtube feed. Tammy Faye Messner on the RuPaul show. I don't know the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XVy88x63yg

Purely from the aesthetics of the screencap alone, I'd say somewhere around '97. Possibly towards latter '96.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Allow me to preface this as I did most of my posts last season (and maybe the season before that):

Why is Santino there?

Lena Headly's reaction following Team Adore's video absolutely cracked me up. :allears:

I'm really puzzled as to what they see in Adore that I'm missing. In any other season any other queen would be called out for not taking the proceedings seriously and coasting on her looks yet somehow Adore gets a pass? She didn't even know her lines! She failed on everything from leadership on down and she turns on the waterworks and gets a pass? Psh. It's just insulting to all the other queens who are there.

The film being in black and white definitely was an advantage for Milk's Team. They ended up blowing the other team out of the water, so ultimately it's irrelevant, but it wasn't a level playing field.

I really would've liked to have seen Vivacious stick around, but she didn't seem entirely comfortable. I think she came off as more of a symbol or an ideal than a well-rounded queen and when she was put into situations that took her out of that (which is virtually every challenge) there just wasn't much for her to stand on.

Edit: Also, this:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 12, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Everyone needs to stop everything to watch Drag Goddess Coco Peru play GTA V.

Everyone needs to watch every video with Coco Peru on youtube.

Coco Peru needs to be a guest judge on Drag Race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Y5xLvYdMM

My boyfriend got me to watch this and PYCDT is absolutely right: stop what you're doing and watch this. Right. Now.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

John Waters is always a lot of fun. :allears: I did notice something that has inspired some misgivings about Ru, and the episode with the Pit Crew confirmed it for me: Ru seems quite disingenuous. It's honestly turned me off of her a bit. Maybe I should check out another couple episodes of the series, but she didn't seem all too sincere, which is kind of the point of a series like that.

Andrew_1985 posted:

This thread needs more GIFs. Do we have any from the new episodes yet?

I had made a bunch in the previous seasons but they seemed to get overlooked. Considering how time-consuming they were to make, I finally just stopped bothering. If you have any requests though, I could whip a few up.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 21, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I'm getting old, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder and I've been out for two days :( Thank goodness for snatch game to pick me up!

Ben and Bianca BROUGHT IT. And Adore finally proved why she's here. Joslyn has more skills than anyone gave her credit for, and I love her a little more every week. Her bit about "Giudice" was GOLD. Darienne got the job done, Courtney and Trinity weren't abysmal. But Gia was every bit as bad as I thought she would be; not that that was a surprise -- did she even know there was a Selena before Gomez? There's a possibility she didn't. And LaGanja had only the faintest germ of how to do Rachel Zoe, which is better than Gia, but that's not a high bar to clear.

But Milk confirmed all my concerns about her limitations. Julia Child can be very funny (Mario Cantone did it quite well), but Milk was so genuinely befuddled when Ru asked her point blank "how are you gonna make her funny?" That's only the point of the challenge, dearie! Gia and Ben were also stumped, but Gia was clearly doomed and Ben's a pro who figured it out; Milk's the only one whose fuzzy concept really disappointed me. And that's what it boils down to for me: Milk doesn't have a focused vision. Also, she's afraid to make a sincere effort. And so if Milk can't bring it when she was more or less free to be goofy (or at least the chance to take a risk) in the challenge, then I don't think she's got it in her. And being boy Ru, while totally a viable take on 'drag' , was not what the judges wanted and she knew it. Also, it looked bad, what with the visible wig seam and all. Milk shoulda gone Starrbooty.

Bianca being take-no-poo poo drag mama to Adore and LaGanja was the second best part of the episode. It was refreshing to watch her let down the sassy facade a bit and reach out to a younger queen. And I am happy to watch her and Adore shut down LaGanja, who needs to be next to go.

But the best moment:

I got my wish! A Gia and LaGanja LSFYL! Except the song was a mid-tempo ditty that neither of them knew how to werq, and so it wasn't as lively as I had hoped. LaGanja pulled out a bunch of tricks that had nothing to do with the song, and Gia looked lost. Aaah, well. Also, Gia: better to be a dude than a oval office. Good Riddance.

Finally, a funny Rachel Zoe impersonation video. It's an oldie but goodie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YTUirqfOa8

Had some family come in to visit from Utah earlier this week including my 12 year-old grandniece who I've only seen for the second time. Turned out that she and my also watch Drag Race and we ended up talking about the show for an hour. :allears: Drag Race: Bringing Families Together.

She did spoil Gia's elimination for me, but as long as Gia's gone, I'm okay.

I'm feeling a bit relieved that people are starting to see through Milk's shtick, because I felt like I had been taking crazy pills in how my opinion of her contrasted so greatly with everybody else. I agree with what PostsYouCanDanceTo said: Milk doesn't seem to be putting forth a sincere effort. All the weird little touches she'll put to her looks seem like afterthoughts. Vivacious' accoutrements were an important part to her drag and, more importantly, there was a reason behind them: they were representations of classic drag.

Milk's additions feel like a security blanket: something to distract from her shortcomings as well as a convenient excuse for herself when she fails.

I'm finally coming around to Adore. I think that with refinement that she can be great, but it may be perhaps too early for her to be on Drag Race. Having someone like Bianca around would do well to temper those rough edges.

Trinity's segment about Zoe was a wonderful bit of unintentional hilarity. That got a good belly laugh out of me. That said, if the Snatch Game was an indication, her days are numbered.

Today's going to be an interesting day: going with two of my older sisters, a niece, nephew, grandniece and my sister's partner to a Gender Bender Pub Crawl!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

See, this is what I really disagree about Vivacious. She is messy. Really messy. She claims she's a club kid, and represents old school drag. RuPaul was a club kid 25 years ago. And then RuPaul got sober. Vivacious, to me, seems like she was simply around the club kids. The club kids moved on, and Vivacious is still here nearly 30 years later claiming to be one. We saw it with her poor attempt at schooling the girls in vogueing in Untucked. Her runway looks were atrocious, and were a classic case of just a man in a dress. She never stood a chance on the show. She knew it, and RuPaul knew it, and frankly I'm surprised that so many people have become such fans of such a messy queen simply because she has some years in the bag. I get that she certainly has a respect for a certain era of drag. I just don't think she does it well. RuPaul and Michelle Visage were there. They get the aesthetic that Vivacious was going for. It still didn't help her.

I should probably preface my posts with that I don't watch Untucked. And I certainly agree that Vivacious deserved to go home (I'm not crazy), but Vivacious had purpose behind her look that both RuPaul and Michelle could recognize and appreciate. I appreciate what the intent of what Vivacious was trying to accomplish with her drag, rather or not she did it well. I agree, she did read male much of the time.

Milk will come up with a look that's perfectly acceptable for the runway, and then up and decide to slap a beard on it, or a baby belly, etc. And when asked about it, she'll just have the non-answer of wanting to do something different without any further explanation. If Ru and Visage can recognize what Vivacious, Sharon and Alaska were doing but are left scratching their head with Milk, then the question becomes: "why do it?"

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Came here to talk about episode 7 and got episode 8 spoiled. :sigh:

Oh well, at least Willam is holding strong in the All-Stars poll. I'd almost be happy with the vast majority of the top 10!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Really? Huh. That seems like the kind of complaint you'd hear from someone who hadn't seen the show.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I'd heard of Shangela previously, but I didn't see her until Terriers and Community and gave standout performances in both shows. So I was surprised to find her so maligned when I got to watching Drag Race regularly.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I honestly think Shangela is my favorite queen ever on the show and I have no idea why. If she isn't on all stars 2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8jWZclC6js
:dance:

Too bad I can't find the full scene to give it context, but Shangela's video for Community was amazing!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

Well that was surprising and dumb. The lip sync was a draw, but Darienne should have gone home just by past performance record. This was her third time lip syncing. This was only Ben's second. Darienne has only won one challenge while Ben had won two. And it not like Ben's looks were atrocious. It was well put together if not done and done before. Compare that all three of Darienne's fails. It just doesn't add up.

I was really hoping Courtney would be in the bottom just so we can see her lip sync (and then Bianca next week). But I guess we're going to miss out on at least one this season. No way Darienne survive next episode.

As soon as they made allusions that Ben was boring, that was a wrap for her: when it comes to these shows it's far better to be bad than boring. I do think that Lake won the lipsync, but was clearly on the bottom of the runway. Certainly puts a new perspective on them both being saved those episodes back.

As another goon said, neither of them are winning anyway and I fully expect Darienne to hit the bricks next week. It'll come down to Adore and Bianca with Courtney pulling up the rear. It also makes a great angle as Bianca and Adore have established a mentor / apprentice relationship. In my opinion, Bianca deserves it more but Adore makes a better story and Mama Ru does like her stories.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

Willam in some social media app commercial with Amanda Lapore, it's still funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8NQ-PSkYlg

:allears: And goodness, I need to make it out to Tel Aviv someday!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Ran across this earlier and thought this would be a fitting place to link it:

Photographer provides and inside look at the stunning world of gender non-confirming.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Oraculum Animi posted:

Willam's Beatdown episode 07: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC0OJtREdaA

It gets gross, y'all.

Came here to post this. Ew. Ew ew ew ew ew. It's ruined Squirt for me.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I'd love so much for him to be the permanent replacement for Santino "Why Is He Here?" Rice.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

And quite a complement to your butthole.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Want some Willam? Of course you do! Goddammit.

:nws: for silicon titties and chat roulette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkB0E3bnZ4w

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

New Beatdown! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hsdf7vrOas

OMG that last video I was LIVING.

Actually, I'm going to remove that gif. That moment deserves the full experience the first time 'round! :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Lol they fired Santino

Yay! Now I won't have to ask "why's Santino there?" each episode anymore and listen to him contribute nothing to the show.

Though I wonder what finally caused them to tip.

Has Tim Gunn been a guest? I'd love to see him on the show.

• Locked thread