Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I feel like the only person not sold on Milk yet. Hot guy, but that beard put me right off, and not in a good or interesting way. I like weird, but not if it's just an isolated element pasted on top of an otherwise beautiful and cohesive look purely for the sake of being weird. That's not audaciousness, that's gimmickry. She's got talent, but I hope next time the weirdness is folded more fully into her overall presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I agree, I would have loved for Milk to say why she chose the beard. There were plenty of possible reasons other than "wow my style"; my favorite overly intellectual idea is that the beard was perfect because the toga party has a uniquely masculine, frat boy imagery associated with it.

Still love ya Milk!

I think she was going for the whole Mathu Andersen thing, but it just didn't hit and felt arbitrary.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I feel like they kept Adore around because even though she was a terrible team leader and a mess on set, her best takes were actually quite good (even if the character was right in line with what she normally does anyway). April's issues weren't entirely her own fault, but she still looked far worse in the final product than Adore did.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Another week, another gimmick from Milk. Pinocchio was at least coherent, in that the nose was an extension of the outfit, but the beard and the pregnancy bump felt like she came up with the general looks and then tacked those on to make 'em stranger. I don't need fish, I like comedy and weird, but to me it's feeling too much like a crutch.

Gia needs to stick around. Not because she's a good drag queen, but because she's a good reality show character. Mean as hell and twice as dumb, she exists almost entirely to be material for Bianca, and I support that. I hate her, and that's totally needed in a season where almost everyone else is likable.

Trinity's going home soon and I have nothing else to say about her except it can't be soon enough.

Laganja is a complete wreck, but she's boring as hell when she isn't breaking down. She's also mediocre on the runway. Go home.

Courtney continues to act like the pop star in a room full of drag queens, and it's working very, very well so far. She's clearly more comfortable in her own skin than just about anyone else there and that confidence shows.

Bianca is the one to beat.

Adore is all over the place. When she's good, she's REALLY good, and when she's bad she's a loving wreck. But her bratty personality is fully formed and flawlessly executed, and that (combined with her pipes) is why she's still here despite clearly being an amateur.

Ben is a total non-entity for me right now. Clearly talented on stage, but not much of a character. Hoping we get to see more of her.

Darienne: STOP DRESSING LIKE THAT

Edit: Oh yeah, Joslyn is a thing too, isn't she? Well, uh... cute in a puppy sort of way.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 18, 2014

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Adore seems willing to learn and grow, and doesn't have a fit every time she gets critiqued. She's also a great performer (her Anna Nicole was dead on, and much more specific than the barrage of generic blonde jokes I was expecting). She's rough as hell, but Bianca's offering her explicit help because she can see that Adore isn't up her own rear end. Despite her amazing bitch face, she's got the right attitude about all this.

Gia went out with all the class I expected.

Milk... I'm so very sick of her. She sucked on the snatch game, and her runway was a clever punchline but that's about it.

Bianca and Ben continue to be practically flawless.

Laganja, go home.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

curiousTerminal posted:

I didn't understand Michelle's comment about "old ladies is Ben's thing." She did them twice, and they were different old lady characters, one being the super rich person from the early 1900s and the other being a lunatic in a haunted house. Yeah they're both old women but they're different as hell.

And on the first episode she got Golden Girls. That's three episodes out of four (since she wasn't in episode 2 at all). I don't think it's a problem, but for one reason or another it's definitely a trend.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Adore and Bianca are turning this into RuPaul's Best Friend Race and I love it. The overall lack of big theatrical rivalries is hugely refreshing after recently binging on seasons 4 and 5. Yeah, there's Darienne and Ben, and Courtney's a bit of a bitch to Joslyn, but those are so minor compared to previous seasons they barely count.

For all the harping on Milk I've done over the weeks, I really feel like the bottom two should have been Darienne and Trinity. Milk had issues but she stepped out of her comfort zone and gave a spirited performance in the rap video, while Darienne was clearly just struggling to not die. Milk's runway was unfortunate, but I wasn't crazy about Darienne's either and I felt like her rap performance was worse than Milk's runway. Oh well, either way the show is chewing through fodder, so the order in which it happens doesn't matter too much to me right now.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Darienne was going for Missy Elliot, but it completely flopped.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Stroop There It Is posted:

Goddammit. I'm actually starting to like Adore.

She acts stupid like Bianca acts mean. I've been a fan since the beginning because I could tell there was more to her, and I'm glad she's been proving me right.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hey Courtney, thanks for finally doing something different and interesting on the runway! I mean, I still think Trinity looked better (that dice dress was drat near perfect and she completely sold it), but Klaus Nomi is a massive step up from lingerie.

Laganja was a big stupid mess and now she's gone. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Dela's got me worried. I don't know if Darienne is getting to her or what, but these episodes didn't treat her well.

Adore continues to be adorable, Bianca continues to be the best at everything, Joslyn continues to be a human puppy.

Once Darienne's gone I'm going to have trouble watching the remaining episodes, because at that point I'm not going to want anyone to leave. Trinity used to be on the list for me, but she really turned it around these past two episodes. I don't want her to go home... but I don't want the others to go home even more. Trinity's complaining about pretty much everything on Twitter, though, which isn't really helping the "coming out of her shell" edit they're trying to give her.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Saw Ben last night, and Bianca, Adore, Laganja and Courtney tonight at the Parliament House in Orlando. Ben's sets were hilarious and very technically well done... her lip-syncing was easily the best of all of them. Bianca was hilarious as always, and her second set was lip-syncing Sissy That Walk, which was fantastic and actually included the most stone-faced death drop I've ever seen. Adore owned the crowd during her first lip sync, her personality is completely captivating, and her second set was singing "I Love Rock and Roll", which was okay... until she did some fire-breathing over the audience, crowd surfed, and then dove in the pool. Polish schmolish, she's a born entertainer and the only thing separating her and Bianca for me at this point is an extra 15 years of experience. They both had the audience in the palm of their hand the entire time. Courtney sung a few songs, was generally pleasant and charming, and when one woman down in front yelled something lovely about Joslyn, Courtney shut her right up and defended Joslyn, to the cheers of the audience.

Laganja fell over a lot.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I love Joslyn, but she should have gone home. Even if Trinity's interview was as bad as hers (getting the name wrong vs talking about an almost-abortion are an even split I'd say), the runways were like night and day. Trinity's outfit alone should have made her safe.

Edit: That said, I like everyone here now (even Darienne feels like she's trying to be funny and failing more than being a genuine bitch, and the editing is playing that up), so the next few eliminations are going to suck.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 15, 2014

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I think Bianca gets too much credit for how well Adore's doing this season. The cincher moment was a great one, and they've bonded a lot, but Adore's personality is absolutely charming without any help and she's a born performer.

And between her performance on this show and how amazing she is with her fans, she's already won the season even if she hasn't won the competition. I can't encourage people enough to see her and/or Bianca live if you have the chance.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bina posted:

Trinity's runway look was the strongest imo. Holy crap.

Agreed. Courtney had the best prop of the night, and it really was a stunning outfit, but I liked Trinity's overall look a bit more.

As for Courtney being hoity-toity, I think she has the same issue as Darienne where she's trying to be bitingly funny and kind of failing. She seems like a nice person whose self-effacing humor is easy to edit down to arrogance for the sake of a story. I love this season so far, but it's very easy to feel the producers attempting to craft drama out of a group of people who, by and large, all seem to like each other and get along.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Yeah, Darienne isn't the villain here. I'm pretty sure that's the most gracious anyone has ever been about the entire group saying she should go home... it happens every season and it's usually a big drama bomb and she handled it like an adult.

I'm happy Adore won, and I definitely feel like this was an earned win, not the producers handing her anything. Her looks were all completely distinct, totally on-point and she sold the hell out of them. Everyone else was a bit bland.

If anything, this episode shows the flaws of the challenge / lip sync system. Ben probably should have been in the bottom two, and Ben did do worse in the lip sync, but Darienne did so much worse at the challenge that it doesn't feel like that should matter.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Pinwiz11 posted:

If it's the typical season then one person leaves next week, the following week is the final challenge, then the Rucap, and finally the finale.

Nope, next episode is the music video. They're making up for the time lost with the split premiere.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

spite house posted:

Bianca's off-the-show act is too raw and out-there. Not good for the brand, as some jamoke said on the mainstage.

It was only a couple years ago that they went with Sharon Needles.

Adore's only problem is with her outfits, and that's mostly because her style doesn't fully translate to what Drag Race is looking for (when I saw her in Tampa she was wearing a Pizza Slut t-shirt and fishnet stockings, and it worked perfectly for the set). In every other respect she's already right where she needs to be... she's funny, charming, knows how to work a crowd, always has great makeup, has a fully realized character she can stick to, and can sing, lip sync, dance and act at least as well as anyone else there. Her mediocre runways have a lot of people online saying she's "just not there yet" and "relying on charm" and that's never felt reasonable to me, given how drat good she is at pretty much everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bina posted:

Welp.

Facebook ruined the winner for me. Yay Bianca!!!! :toot:

Let's be honest, reality and basic perception ruined the winner for all of us about halfway through the season.

• Locked thread