Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

TheCoon posted:

PPSSPP is rad as gently caress at emulating the PSP. You can get automatically updated builds here. You need to get vcredist_x64 or vcredist_x86 from here for the newer Windows builds.
This is my favorite emulator out right now. Controller support for PSP games with the option of sharpening textures or playing at higher resolutions. It's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

Hog Butcher posted:

If you get a memory card with a cable, modding the Xbox takes about three minutes. You just need one of like four games that the Xbox flips out on.

It then becomes the second best SNES/GBA/PSX ever, with the PSP being the best. :v:

Which four games does it flip out on?

Sure, I could use it to emulate other systems, but I'd really prefer the chance to replay JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi 1 and 2, Ninja Gaiden, gunvalkyrie, Breakdown, and that oddball game from FROM Software, where you're the President piloting a giant robot. A former roommate stole all my consoles and games to pawn (cops said I'd never get them back), and I really miss those games. I wish MS would port them to the PC, like Sega did with some of their Dreamcast Classics.

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

Louisgod posted:

The only "unwritten" rule is openly discussing where to obtain ROMs, linking to them and insinuating that you own the ROMs without owning the original format (ie piracy). Aside from that talking about emulators if perfectly kosher and we actually have a thread or two about Dolphin and another emulator, I believe.

K, appreciate the clarification. I wasn't sure if I'd already crossed the line or not.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Hog Butcher posted:

If you get a memory card with a cable, modding the Xbox takes about three minutes. You just need one of like four games that the Xbox flips out on.

It then becomes the second best SNES/GBA/PSX ever, with the PSP being the best. :v:

I've had issues with the the Xbox dpad with some games, is there a third party controller you would recommend?

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

Walton Simons posted:

I managed to run Metal Gear Solid 3 at 4x native res with an i5-2500k@4.4GHz, it looked great, CPU is so important.

I've been told that real-time Xbox 360 and PS3 emulation will never, ever happen, even taking into account advances in CPUs over the next decade. How come? I'm sure I remember there being similar noises about the PS2 when it was the newest thing.

Trying PS2 emulation for the first time, I was running a 2.53GHz P4. It didn't go too well.

Oh, it'll happen. It may take more than a few years (like N64, PS2, etc...), but it WILL happen.

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

Parlett316 posted:

I've had issues with the the Xbox dpad with some games, is there a third party controller you would recommend?

The Xbox Dpad was always notoriously loose. I don't know if that ever got resolved by 3rd parties, but the dpad was a constant debated between PS2 and Xbox owners.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Probably because of the cpu and gpu that are present in the ps3 and 360. PS3 would mean emulating the 6 core cell processor which would take years in itself to make stable and get to the standard menu before getting to game emulation.

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Probably because of the cpu and gpu that are present in the ps3 and 360. PS3 would mean emulating the 6 core cell processor which would take years in itself to make stable and get to the standard menu before getting to game emulation.

I wonder if the SPEs could be implemented in a modern GPU? Have them use a portion of the compute resources, and streaming results to a common pool amongst the GDDR5? Failing that, those of us with 8 cores might be able to utilize a single HT core as the POWERPC core, then have it farm out work to 6 other cores?

Not a programmer, so I'm just talking out of my rear end.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I wonder if there isn't a crew or two out there trying to crack the 360 already. Hexcores will be replacing quad-cores probably even within the next two or three years, if sooner, and I'm fairly certain there have been octocores for industrial applications for some time now. I've had mine since '08 so it's statistically spiraling towards rrod'ing, I don't think I have it in me to get another one, and I'm most certainly not getting a XBox Keanu Reeves.

Hz so good posted:

The Xbox Dpad was always notoriously loose. I don't know if that ever got resolved by 3rd parties, but the dpad was a constant debated between PS2 and Xbox owners.
Never. The only third-party 360 pads made were shoddy knockoffs. Say what you will about the Microsoft-made D-pads (which can apparently be improved with some instructions, solder, determination, and a willingness to void your factory warranty), but those things are "Nintendo-tough." I wouldn't be surprised if my wired controller from MS still works in a decade, that's some Ozymandias poo poo right there.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 21, 2014

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

I wonder if there isn't a crew or two out there trying to crack the 360 already. Hexcores will be replacing quad-cores probably even within the next two or three years, if sooner, and I'm fairly certain there have been octocores for industrial applications for some time now. I've had mine since '08 so it's statistically spiraling towards rrod'ing, I don't think I have it in me to get another one, and I'm most certainly not getting a XBox Keanu Reeves.

Never. The only third-party 360 pads made were shoddy knockoffs. Say what you will about the Microsoft-made D-pads (which can apparently be improved with some instructions, solder, determination, and a willingness to void your factory warranty), but those things are "Nintendo-tough." I wouldn't be surprised if my wired controller from MS still works in a decade, that's some Ozymandias poo poo right there.

That's not quite what I meant. They were "loose" in the sense that they didn't always register properly, or would think you input one direction, when you'd really pressed another.

Sure, if you wanna open it up and fix it, more power to you, but that doesn't change the fact that they came loose *by default*. The only saving grace of the Dualshock2 was the Dpad. Everything else about was too small and cramped, especially compared to Controller S and the 360 controller.

In a perfect world, that a wireless 360 controller (which I use on my PC all the time), with a swapped out Dpad from a DS2 would be the best controller out there, bar none.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
It just seemed that the angle movement would be hosed. Maybe a hacked up SNES controller to XBox would work.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Hz so good posted:

In a perfect world, that a wireless 360 controller (which I use on my PC all the time), with a swapped out Dpad from a DS2 would be the best controller out there, bar none.
If you don't mind throwing down 60 bucks for it, the Dualshock 4 is fantastic. I've been using it for emulation as well as PC games and I love it. Unfortunately most PC games only accept Xinput so you still need software to remap the controls, but I believe it would work fine with most emulators out of the box since they allow you to easily bind controls.

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

AtrociousToaster posted:

If you don't mind throwing down 60 bucks for it, the Dualshock 4 is fantastic. I've been using it for emulation as well as PC games and I love it. Unfortunately most PC games only accept Xinput so you still need software to remap the controls, but I believe it would work fine with most emulators out of the box since they allow you to easily bind controls.

I'd contemplated getting a new XBone wireless controller (mainly because of more free space for fingers in the back), but I have to admit, I adore my 360 controller, and so many PC games automatically recognize it, that I think I'll keep using it, until it finally goes tits-up. I used to use a logitech pad (it was really close to a dualshock in for factor), but finding/creating bindings to get games to recognize it was a giant pain. Rumblepad2.blogpost.com was the go to site for getting your games working with your controller.

EDIT- In the interests of full disclosure, I was one of the few people with hands ginormous enough to be able to use The Duke comfortably. All the recent controllers have been too small for me, so that extra space at the back of the XBone controller appeals to me. If it has seamless support ala the 360 controller, then getting it could be a nobrainer for me.

Hz so good fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 21, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ :hf: sup giant hands bro

AtrociousToaster posted:

I dunno, I really liked the weight of the 360 pad. I have big dopey mitts, so the fit is pretty perfect. Of course, the N64 controller was also a fairly good fit for my huge hands and I have to hook my pinky to hit Ctrl on a full-size keyboard comfortably, so I could just be the video game controller equivalent of those weirdoes who hang out on college campuses screaming at brown people about how they're going to hell for not being white, except I'm marginalizing people with regular-sized hands.

Parlett316 posted:

It just seemed that the angle movement would be hosed. Maybe a hacked up SNES controller to XBox would work.
SNES was good for what it was, but gently caress, that D-pad is a thumb-buster if you mash it like I do (and if you're bad at Mario but insist on playing it, you mash the hell out of it for all the tension). Sony has the right idea: soft edges, tight response. Too bad the rest of their pad is kind of unimpressive, to me.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 21, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Minty Swagger posted:

Has there been progress on emulators for PSP in the last 2-4 years? Mine has been collecting dust and I'd love to break it out and get it all updated and cleaned up, but I'm curious if there's been progress on any of the emulators, they all sort of felt thrown together, or poorly tranlated from Japanese etc, just working "well enough" with a weird janky menus. Did someone come in and drop a retroarch type program that just controls everything now?

GPSP is pretty much perfect for GBA. uosnes9x is good enough if you're not on a PSP 1000. RIN is extremely good for GB/GBC games except sometimes it locks when you change GBC games around.

It's still a little janky, but it works fine.

Hz so good posted:

Which four games does it flip out on?

It's three, I was remembering one wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softmod

You could also google a bunch of other stuff.

also: bighand crew, the xbox controller d still owns. I had mine laying on my desk for use as a tiny fightstick for a while. :v:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Maybe I'm expecting too much but I can never quite get SNES stuff working great on PSP. Always has occasional slowdown or graphical glitches.

I really need to build a media PC just as an emulation machine I guess.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Disappointing Pie posted:

Maybe I'm expecting too much but I can never quite get SNES stuff working great on PSP. Always has occasional slowdown or graphical glitches.

I really need to build a media PC just as an emulation machine I guess.

Tried increasing the CPU speed or changing the graphics mode? I still have my old launchday fat PSP and it does SNES emulation just fine for the majority of games.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I've just started playing around with Dolphin and I'm amazed at how good old Wii and even GameCube games look on it.

I had gotten about 2 hours into Metal Gear Solid (PSOne version) on my PS3/Vita when I remembered that it had been ported to the GameCube as Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. Now I'm playing Metal Gear Solid at 1440p60 with AA turned on and it's an enormous improvement.

I'd never heard of PPSSPP but it looks like that will be next on my list to check out as I never had a PSP and the only game I've played for it was Persona 3 Portable on my Vita.

Other than Dolphin and PPSSPP are there other emulators for old systems that will upscale games/textures in a similar way?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Parker Lewis posted:

I've just started playing around with Dolphin and I'm amazed at how good old Wii and even GameCube games look on it.

I had gotten about 2 hours into Metal Gear Solid (PSOne version) on my PS3/Vita when I remembered that it had been ported to the GameCube as Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. Now I'm playing Metal Gear Solid at 1440p60 with AA turned on and it's an enormous improvement.

I'd never heard of PPSSPP but it looks like that will be next on my list to check out as I never had a PSP and the only game I've played for it was Persona 3 Portable on my Vita.

Other than Dolphin and PPSSPP are there other emulators for old systems that will upscale games/textures in a similar way?

To answer my own question: PCSX2 has similar features for rendering PS2 games at a higher internal resolution and makes things like Metal Gear Solid 2 look pretty great. I tried God of War 2 on it and it looked better than the actual God of War 2 HD remake that I played on PS3.

Between PS2, GameCube, Wii and PSP games, I have a whole lot of new (old) games to add to my backlog now that I can play them all as "HD remakes".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MrBims posted:

Tried increasing the CPU speed or changing the graphics mode? I still have my old launchday fat PSP and it does SNES emulation just fine for the majority of games.

A handful my PSP just won't handle right, even clocked at 333 MHz. It's a moot point, my NVidia Shield handles SNES way more accurately than the PSP ever could. Great system for emulation, I'm running PSX with increased resolution and it looks great while running smooth.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Parker Lewis posted:

To answer my own question: PCSX2 has similar features for rendering PS2 games at a higher internal resolution and makes things like Metal Gear Solid 2 look pretty great. I tried God of War 2 on it and it looked better than the actual God of War 2 HD remake that I played on PS3.

Between PS2, GameCube, Wii and PSP games, I have a whole lot of new (old) games to add to my backlog now that I can play them all as "HD remakes".

Metal Gear Solid 3 looked incredible on a 1440p monitor and in 4x native res with AA/AF.

I've only just found out that Wipeout Pulse recieved a PS2 release so that's going on my list.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 looked incredible on a 1440p monitor and in 4x native res with AA/AF.

drat straight.

There was a branch of DeSmuME released recently called X432R that allows you to increase the rendering resolution. It can produce some fantastic results, although it would be even better with texture filtering.

Direct comparisons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Do you guys have any special front ends setup through something like Retroarch/Hyperspin? I'm on Windows 8 and I downloaded Retroarch and love how it has tons of cores built in to switch systems quickly but I really want to have a simple front end where you get a nice GUI and never even see all the backend happenings and even have nice borders and things. Very much like OpenEmu for Mac. But up to date tutorials are few and far between. :(

• Locked thread