Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Jeffrey

Estoc curses, and looks to his ape friend. "Lead on, I have no way of keeping up with the tortoise."

I guess I'll follow Tim's lead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat - Death's Domain

"I don't know really, but I will help with the clean up. I'll start with a search of the kitchen." Kat walks into the fire and tries to find a fire extinguisher that should be in every kitchen really. Safety first and all that, but most of all she looked for something that could possibly make this situation worse and prevent that. She felt rather confident that they could salvage this and that Doctor Death would survive despite the pounding. After all he had managed to resist all the heat she had thrown at him.

Insight 4, and Perception 4 to check for a fire extinguisher and also anything that needs attention, for example like a gas can or anything that needs to be doused to stop the bar from exploding violently as they leave.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Julie

When in Rome, follow the great ape. Maybe he can see something she can't. Julie pies at a moderate pace after Tim and the others.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Underground Outside of the Fist National Back of Delaware - Downtown Ascalon

In desperate times, heroes are born.

This was a desperate time.

And that newly pressed hero is called Tim Grebowitz.

Refusing to let a mere tortoise, ninja or not, defeat him he puts his enhanced ape senses to the test. Sniffing in everything there was to smell down in the horrid sewers. Throwing out his ears to listen to every little drop of water and squeak of rat there was to hear. Squinting his eyes as far as they'll squint to see everything there might be to see.

And there it is. The trail. Traditionally the story goes that the tortoise beats the hare, but nobody informed Ludovico about the story where the gorilla beats the tortoise. Rampaging down after him, the tortoise is caught rushing over a blind corner and runs straight into Tim. Dropped right into his lap, there is no way even clumsy gorilla hands can miss. Grabbing Ludovico, Tim smashes him again and again into the hard sewer floor. Well and truly, this tortoise crime gang is done with.

The scene now a little more settled, our intrepid heroes can see that each tortoise was carrying a small hessian bag with a dollar sign on it.

Robodog: !roll 1d20+8 | Robodog: 5+8 = 13

Sprite misses.

Robodog: !roll 1d20+2 | Robodog, 18+2 = 20
Robodog: !roll 1d20+3 | Robodog, 4+3 = 7

But Tim hits. Somehow. Despite all odds. And Ludovico ends up as Tortoise paste against DC29. Fight over!

Death's Domain - Harbourside

The single camera inside the bar, despite whatever footage it may have taken through those thick plumes of smoke, is found to be hooked up to what may have been a video recorder in a previous life. But now was a big lump of broken metal, probably trashed by El Mago in the fight. He was rough with the furniture, but in this case saved them from any possible video evidence of their rough treatment of Doctor Death.

After grabbing a fire extinguisher and dousing the remaining flames, as it was only right to stop the fire she started, Kat rushes back over to help Rachel get the old man's armour off and render first aid. This proves wise, as if nothing else the bent in armour was cutting off both blood and air through his neck. A cursory check and light application of bandages later, and Doctor Death was more than well enough to be dragged away to… wherever they take bad guys after being defeated. Boise, maybe.

Out front, Garrett gathers witness statements. He is quite relieved to find that, while it was unanimous that a raucous fight broke out and destruction was abound, people were not sure what started it. And past the very start of the fight where the bar was set on fire and then frozen there was little the civilians could tell accurately, as they all fled for their lives. There was a confrontation, lots of shouting, and then it all kicked off. Very standard hero/villain encounter, that. And with testimonies as vague as that, mission reports filed by the team would be more than enough to cover the shortcomings in what the civilians had to say. Sharkey would have to wait some other time to take another shot at Blazington III.

Robodog: !roll 1d20+8 | Robodog, 8+8 = 16

Robodog: !roll 1d20+4 | Robodog, 13+4 = 17
Robodog: !roll 1d20+4 | Robodog, 18+4 = 22

Garrett and Kat both roll high enough to find what they are looking for!

All three jobs are now done! You can return to base at your leisure.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Julie

"Oh. My," Julie says. "Tim....I...." she blinks rapidly. "Wow," she says. She edges forward and gingerly pokes at the pasted tortoise. Yup, paste. No way they're asking him questions. "No...chance anybody found a radio on them?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sprite

"They'll be okay. Bank teams usually bring in enough to afford Retcon1."

Sprite points at the bag. "That's probably evidence. Are we supposed to take that back to the office, or back to the bank and say 'I think this fell out of a hole in the vault'?"

Then, looking to Julie, she asks, "What d'we need a radio for?"

1Retcon, formerly Pyrrhic, is an insurance agency specializing in the extreme threats to life and limb that tends to follow active superbeings. In the event of catastrophe, their staff of genies, temporal nobility, and negotiably ethical physicists make small elisions to the client's time stream, eliminating the effect of the event without preventing the event in the larger context. This tends to leave the client no further ahead than when they started, or worse in the case of lairs destroyed in the interim and the like.

And that's before Retcon's bill arrives.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

KATRINA, some time later -- Central Agency

At some point, after the kitchen burst into flame but before the heroes valiantly put the fire out and triumphantly took witness statements and etc., Katrina silently volunteered herself for the vital task of hopping a bus back to the HIREUS office and taking (most! most of the credit. Not all of the credit! She's not a monster okay gosh) credit for her group's performance.

(Well, okay, what she assumed the outcome would be. Of course, there's always the tiny, tiiiiny, infinitesimally small chance that the others would lose and DOCTOR PEPPER would embark on some reign of tex-mex terror and her salsa-and-seasoning shame would be laid bare but if that in fact did happen everyone would probably be occupied with lots of other stuff anyways! He'd probably menace the city in a giant ghost pepper-fuelled robot -- supervillainy types like that always do! -- and everyone would forget alllllll about whatever minor embellishments Katrina might have, erm...)

At some point, after the five-alarm fracas began but hopefully before everyone else got back to the office, Katrina saunters back into HIREUS! She saunters in the door, this terribly catlike look of lazy satisfaction on her face, and announces to whoever's around: "So you don't have to thank me or anything, but--" (She leans in, whispering as if to confide some juicy secret.~) "I kinda took care of that whole Doctor Pepper situation. Like, I hate to brag about this stuff, but I totally beat him up until he promised not to mistreat any peppers or do, um...y'know. Crime stuff." Aaaaand there's a lazy shrug. "I don't know what happened to those other two, though. Something about a pepper-eating contest? Um...is that a thing with super, um, superpeople? Eating peppers?"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Jeffrey

In the wake of the combat, Jeffrey awkwardly slides up next to Tim. "Hey uhh, I'm sorry I accidentally stabbed you, just... Uhh... Don't do that to me."
With that sorted, he walks over to the bags of probably-money and says "We should take them back to the back, otherwise it might seem like we're the ones committing theft."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Central Agency - Central Avenue

"Wow!! You did it!" A jubilant Molly cheers, bouncing out from around a corner after eavesdropping hearing Kat declare the mission done all thanks to her. "You saved the day!" She beams, rushing over to give the too cool for Kat a biiiiig hug. "Thank you Kat! I was super worried that meanie was going to be a baddie!!"

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...
Silverback - Bloody Sewers

Tim grunts something frighteningly noncommittal as he hoists the prone forms of the tortoises onto his ape shoulders. He had some apologies to make to some city employees, and the fact that he wasn't lying about the bank robbery might make it easier.

Tim's going to get the tortoises out of the sewer and then to jail? He hasn't planned that far ahead. He has to apologize first.

Also sorry for the delay on my end, sudden move, computer still in a box. Somewhere.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat - Death's Domain

"Okay everything is ready, so do we call an ambulance now? I'm not sure we can arrest him can we?" She asks rather confused, before deciding to leave that to someone else. Kat moves out of the building and look around, the job was done, though she wasn't quite sure what the job was at all. That was kinda of the job right? She wasn't quite sure, but they felt done, and to be honest she wasn't a clean up crew. It was time to head back.

"I guess time to get going right everyone?" She says with a hot grin and starts to jump into the air toward the Central Agency!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sprite

"Yeah. You're probably right," Sprite nods to Estoc.

The gently glowing girl looks around, slowly rotating in midair. Tim's got the thieves, Jeff's got the bags of loot, that leaves... not much.

"I'll go with to talk to the road crew, since I talked to them before," she decides.

---
Ugh. I'm back. I think. Sorry. Hate this time of year.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Outside of the Fist National Back of Delaware - Downtown Ascalon

Punching his way back out of the sewers, Silverback leads his fellow heroes in a triumphant march into daylight.

But where earlier there were boos, jeers, and angry, angry workmen, there were now gasps of shock and awe as the infamous Ninja Tortoises are hauled out in the terrapin equivalent of handcuffs.

There needn't be any explanation given, all was clear when those infamous thieves and their bags of ill-gotten gains were handed over to the authorities.

Hailed in cheers by the appreciative crowd, and the now embarrassed work crew, our team of intrepid interns return in triumph to Central Agency.

Death's Domain - Harbourside

With the scene, and their professional careers, secured our team of intrepid interns emerge from the thoroughly trashed dive bar with the fiendish Doctor Death in hand.

The authorities are quick to arrive when such a devilish villain is named, and while he is hauled into the back of the divisional van names and statements are taken from the decidedly anti-Death crowd still gathering themselves outside the venue.

Hailed in cheers by the appreciative crowd, and avoiding the surly section of the crowd angrily pelting peppers at the divisional van, our team of intrepid interns return in triumph to Central Agency.

Somehow Kat, Rachel, Francisco, Garrett, Tim, Lydia, Jeffery, and Julia all arrive back at Central Agency at the exact same time. As they enter the building they are, once again, greeted by the decidedly cold Receptionist. Head down annotating meeting minutes, she glances up at the gathered heroes. "Katrina is being debriefed." She curtly informs you all, pointing at the conference room behind her with her red felt pen. "You should join her."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Julie

Julie - Mach, even, as much as she doesn't feel that Machish after things went down so rough - flies slowly back towards base with the others. "I'm washing my costume. Twice," she says. "Three times. Ugh. Does anybody have some super bleach?" she asks. On seeing the other team come into the central hall, she does, however, perk up. "Hey!" she calls. "How'd your mission go?"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Jeffery

Estoc removes his helmet to show a grim face to Mach. "As it turns out," he says shakily "Never accidentally stab the person who carries you home over your shoulder. He can make your ride home pretty... Rough."

Jeffery taps the gorilla on the shoulder, then staggers forward towards the debrief.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat

"Hi everyone, Yeah." Kat looks down a bit and wipes off her molten flowing dress and scratches her head. "I don't have any super bleach, but I can get you some pumice stones to help get out out those stains Mach." She says with a fiery smile. "I learned that if you are going to eat peppers, remember to not try to not let yourself get hot under the collar." She adjusts her collar and looks around. "Did everything go alright with everyone elses? We stopped the bad guy at least!"

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 9, 2014

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Julie

"I...I hadn't planned on it," Julie admits. She removes her cape and shakes it a few times, hanging it up on the rack outside the briefing room.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sprite!

"You can use pumice for that? Cool!" Lydia chirps. Learn something new every day. She banks her enthusiasm as the topic shifts to business.

"Things were a lot darker, and danker, than anyone was really expecting. We won in the end though."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Rachel

"Hi everyone." Rachel grins at the rest of the team. "It was a close call but between the lot of us Doctor Death won't see any peppers with his bread and water in the slammer"

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Tim - Central Agency

Tim rolls his eyes at the erstwhile valiant, while idly scratching at spots where his fur decided to stay in Estoc's armor joints. The hair was already growing back under his fingers, but it itched like crazy.
"Yer gonna be riding the bus next time, Sir Clanksalot. I think my days as a taxi are over for a while."

The massive ape carefully concealed a smile as he knuckle-walked into the room. That didn't go too badly, right?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Julie

"I'll try it. Not sure it can make things worse, right?" Mach says. She shakes her hair a few times and shrugs. "Sewers, oil refineries, ships, Delaware, criminals always like to hide somewhere horrible," she says to Sprite. "Occupational hazard."

"Most importantly, Chuck has a new home!" she says.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat

"Wait, Chuck? Who is Chuck?" Kat say looking at Mach. At the moment redoing her conservative bun in the back with a bit of hot metal.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Julie

"My cat! He didn't have a collar or anything. I called the city so...possible we'll find his home, but otherwise," Julie smiles. "It'll be nice to have somebody to come home to. He's orange, I'm Mach, so....Chuck."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat

"Oh that is adorable! You should let him ride your back! That would be amazing!" Kat says with her eyes glowing blue with interest and wonder. The adorableness was enough to make her wish she could have a cat!

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Tim - Central Agency
Grey ears prick up at the mention of the found feline
"Don't mean to eavesdrop, but I can always ask 'im. If yer curious, that is."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Julie

Mach startles. "You speak cat?" she asks Tim

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat

"Ooo, really? Do you speak other animal, umm error languages?" Kat says wondering outloud. There were not many rock things to really talk too and Tims super powers seemed a whole lot more convenient than hers!

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Tim
"Yeah sure, I can talk to animals. What they have to say depends on the animal, though. Cats are generally pretty clever, but they've got an ego problem. At least mine does."

Yamtaggler fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 11, 2014

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat

"Have you ever just gone to a zoo and just spent an afternoon talking to all the animals? That seems like it would be pretty interesting, I mean I can like go deep underground and the like, but it isn't the same. Hard to have conversations with rocks." She says ticking the side of her head with a bit of a dull rocky thud as her haired cooled in its new position.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

Tim
"Nah, the last thing anybody at the zoo wants to see is a gorilla on their side of the bars. Plus it'd be pretty hard to explain to the animals why I get to leave at the end of the day, y'know?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Julie

"I'm pretty sure they all do. We'd be in trouble if they could open tuna cans on their own."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat

"Cat's are the greatest evil for sure. Thankfully, they are all very flammable." She says with a winning hot smile.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sprite

"You got a kitty?!" Lydia asks Julie, voice hopping up half an octave as the faintly glowing woman's somewhat more brightly glowing eyes spark even brighter. A shoal of orange wriggles across her features. "That's awesome! You've gotta take pictures."

Tim and Kat mention their own gifts at talking with other sorts of animals or maybe with rocks. She makes a face, imagining the furor among the zoo animals at a gorilla who comes and goes as he pleases, and the inevitable hidebound zookeeper hell-bent on getting a new exhibit.

"I talk to machines. It's kind of like how they do it on Star Trek, only I think it. Just running commands, not really conversations. So glad they got rid of that paperclip in the word processor. That thing was creepy."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat

"Oh yeah, that thing seemed weird to me. I always turned it off. Yeah, talking with rocks isn't very interesting, mostly their metabolic rate for the most part is in thousands of years. So even you talking to them, the ones that you can, I guess, it is more like being a fly that talks with them for a split second before disappearing." She says, thinking about her degree. This was going to be a nightmare to go back to doing homework on top of this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sprite

"What about the molten ones, or the elements with shorter half-lives? They seem like they'd be operating on less of a... geological time scale."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat

"Molten ones are rarer and more well wild. I guess they would be the racecar drivers of the mineral world. They always talk about deeper rocks, though there are a few that through plate tectonics that are a bit older. They talk describe talking with their older, more geologic cousins like talking to the oldest person you know, only crankier." Kat shrugs looking down, it was going to be a great thesis paper to attempt to go to those depths. "I guess, I am technically a molten one, though I don't know how I feel about that. "

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sprite

"Well, I think you're a very gneiss person, no matter what you're made of."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Kat

Her smile brightened and her eyes gave a blueish purple hue casting the light on her cheeks like she was blushing, "Awww, thanks! You are a gem!" She thinks, "I would say rupee, but you are worth more than a boomerang!"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

After having a monumental chat and well and truly catching up on what the other half of the team had been doing, our valiant and intrepid heroes finally enter the conference room as beckoned by The Receptionist. She seems quite glad that the racket was finally gone from her lobby. The conference room was set up almost exactly as they had left it earlier that day, the chairs were still arraigned in a big circle around the room and even the couple that had been knocked over were still on their backs.

In the middle of the room was Kat was in deep and serious discussions with Molly. Molly quickly notices that the rest of her superheroes had returned, however. "Guys!" She beams, bursting with energy and practically bouncing on the spot. "You're back!" She bounces over to the newly arrived heroes. "Kat saved the day!" Molly shouts, pointing over at Kat who was now standing alone in the middle of the room. Then the girl starts clapping, looking expectantly at all of you to applaud with just as much gusto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Julie

"You two are way too punny," Julie says, as she takes a seat in the conference room. Julie settles and crosser her legs, keeping her back straight, hands landing on her knee. "Hi Molly," she says with a smile. She dives quickly into the applause, claps sounding vaguely like sonic booms.

• Locked thread