Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I recently picked up an early 60's Knight 6 Meter AM rig with the optional VFO. Cleveland area Hams have a retro 6meter AM net and it's been fun participating when they're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so, um... should i be concerned about this?

https://twitter.com/aurahack/status/832320270278983681

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

made a few quick-and-dirty monopoles for ~9.35 gHz to test some stuff in the lab. I'll see if they actually work this weekend, hopefully

wanted to try making discones but just don't have the time. I should be getting some that I purchased in the mail next week

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

made a few quick-and-dirty monopoles for ~9.35 gHz to test some stuff in the lab. I'll see if they actually work this weekend, hopefully

wanted to try making discones but just don't have the time. I should be getting some that I purchased in the mail next week

lol

also that owns

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

lol

also that owns
made 4 because I had no drat idea what I'm doing, performance is actually decent on 2 of them

also when I bought the SMA connectors a couple days ago I learned that Pasternack is like 3 blocks from me and I desperately wanted to wander their warehouse

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

The local Club finally got their weekly 10M net back on the air after a few years of old fart bickering.
I Checked in with my Heathkit HW100 and all of the old guys went nuts over my old gear and begged me to come to the next meeting...

YOSPOS ham dudes, Should I go? These same people treated me like a punk kid when I tried to join the club back in 2008.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 12, 2017

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Has anyone said "nothin but net" yet?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MullardEL34 posted:

The local Club finally got their weekly 10M net back on the air after a few years of old fart bickering.
I Checked in with my Heathkit HW100 and all of the old guys went nuts over my old gear and begged me to come to the next meeting...

YOSPOS ham dudes, Should I go? These same people treated me like a punk kid when I tried to join the club back in 2008.

Yes, and remind them of how they treated u when they suckin u radio nuts

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Lol owned

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey there's a directv dish on my house that i'm not using. what can i do with it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pee on it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

place a microwave oven magnetron at the focus and drive around nuking people's cell phones

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
... ok?

ickna
May 19, 2004

GameCube posted:

hey there's a directv dish on my house that i'm not using. what can i do with it

2M stealthy slot antenna

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

kewl. i knew this thread wouldnt let me down

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
went to the national ham meet today with some pocket change

picked up 20 6" SMA-male right angle to SMA-female bulkhead (with o-ring) cables and 14 motorola MHW720-A1 20W 400-440 MHz PA modules

also i picked up some old Magnetic AB transmitter equipment another ham had promised me since he figured i could do something useful with it instead of it sitting in his garage taking up space

didn't know exactly what it was until i got it, but turned out to be 2x100W 144-174 MHz PAs and another 8802A NMT450 transmitter which will do around 50W continuous ( already have two, one has previously been modded for 430 MHz operation)

tested the PAs now and for 10W in they provide around 30-40W out after tuning the PA, rated input power is 20W and being class C amps they are very non-linear so that gain makes sense.
might end up modding in a T/R relay in at least one so i can use them as standalone PAs with a mobile transceiver

VHF PA

the PAs are quadrature coupled which means they will likely have a nearly perfect in/output impedance as well as work with antennas with high SWR without any significant issues

NMT 450 transmitter

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
god I just had to renew my license, which both reminds me how much I've wasted it, and holy poo poo I'm 10 years older :(

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the debate rages on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-miIlbXDQ&t=558s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he chose amber

that guy fucks

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
not ham related but what's a good pocket sized AA powered fm radio these days?

internal speaker a nice bonus

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Olivil posted:

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Kaito-KA200-Pocket-Radio-Black/dp/B00408K36Y

It runs on AAAs and is super tiny, sound quality is decent through headphones.

These look really cool though:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICFP26-Portable-Radio-Black/dp/B012F0DGYE/

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-F10-Portable-Battery-Transistor/dp/B0081IKTN6/

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Olivil posted:

Get the Sony SRF-39FP, dubbed "The iPod of Prison". Bonus points if it has the clear housing

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-ipod-of-prison

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Olivil posted:

If you feel like making this into a fun evening project, take look at the Tecsun 2P3 Kit.
Easy to build, cool retro case, and due to the huge ferrite bar and ceramic 455KHZ IF Filter, is actually a great little radio for doing AM DX.
Apparently these are a sort of nostalgia item for Chinese radio Hobbyists. During the Cultural revolution the state supplied these cases to students to build their own homebrew transistor radios.

I've built three of them, one of which I modified to pick up 5-10MHZ shortwave. The mod involves adding turns to the ferrite bar and is easy to find online.
https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-2P3-Radio-Receiver-Kit/dp/B00LXK26QW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suDvdfjmNjk
EDIT: Oops, I didn't see you wanted FM. Still, you should build one. It's fun.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 19, 2017

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

MullardEL34 posted:

If you feel like making this into a fun evening project, take look at the Tecsun 2P3 Kit.

that looks cool! thanks!

In the end I went with a Sangean DT-400w

its yellow and NOAA bands are a small bonus
Should be here by Friday :toot:

Olivil fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 19, 2017

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

So I received the radio and it's good! Impressive reception, it sounds surprisingly good even on the built in speaker and it feels well made.

What do the pos radio thread think of the Tecsun PL-310et?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

since I'm already a greybeard by virtue of being an Amiga sperglord I guess I should get a radio license too

how do I give myself brain cancer through radio waves

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

since I'm already a greybeard by virtue of being an Amiga sperglord I guess I should get a radio license too

how do I give myself brain cancer through radio waves

Very Carefully :xd:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
grab yourself an ARRL study guide (I got mine for free because I tagged along with my friend when we went to visit W1AW) and find when your local ham radio club is offering testing next. I'd consider getting both your technician and general at the same time - tech is harder for a lot of people than general so the added difficulty isn't that much, plus you can immediately start doing cool kid HF stuff like messing with large antennas, whereas with tech can be kind of limiting (hope you like talking to graybeards on your local repeaters about Obama).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ugh yeah. I want to use the magic box to talk to people other than local greybeards. perhaps far away greybeards

okay actually I just like wasting money on blinkenlights and software with interfaces from windows 3.1

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
figured out the actual root cause of the stabilock calibration troubles

the CCITT filter is implemented with opamps, and it turns out the output resistor from that filter chain wasn't properly soldered at all. i discovered that when i actually tried to use the filter as a bandpass to get more realistic distortion measurements and went from ~500mV signal to 2 mV signal with the filter in.

soldered it properly, now it passes self-cal and self-test when it's both warm and cold.

the worst part is the fault is even on the board the self test marked as bad, i could have caught that literally the day i got it if the self check had listed what test number had failed since the service manual has a fairly complete list of what each test number does

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I need a cheap handheld scanner for airband. is this garbage? https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC75X...s=airband+radio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

http://earlyradiohistory.us/1924your.htm

quote:

How many well-meaning, fond American parents develop the home idea in the young boy? Are you not a bit to blame if your boy, when still in his 'teens, is seen too much in questionable company and in questionable resorts? Your boy is not naturally inclined to stay away from his home and his family. He is usually forced out, for want of something to keep his growing, inquisitive mind occupied; it's the something that he can't find at his home that forces him out. So out he goes. He drifts on, away from you,--the heartstrings loosen more and more, you--his parents--wonder and wonder and the boy becomes a stranger before you realize it.

This is--alas--only too true a picture of the average American youth. And it is so easy to keep your boy at home. He doesn't want much, just something to dabble, to tinker, to experiment with and to keep his inborn insatiable curiosity satisfied.

You know your boy likes nothing better than this, he was born for it; are you going to club it out of him?

He has the right idea--the home idea; somewhere in him is a spark alive that needs but proper fanning to create a future Edison, a coming Marconi.

Electricity, especially Wireless, are positively the strongest home-magnets today. His workshop, his small electric laboratory of his Wireless Den are the most powerful home attractions for the 20th Century Boy.

Electricity and Wireless are the coming, undreamed of, world-moving forces. Don't kill the electric spark in your boy. It costs little to keep it going, and some fine day it will pay you and your boy handsome dividends.

make your kid a basement dweller - a howto guide for parents

• Locked thread