Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

dear pagancow, if your drat cat5 thread is worth a sticky, so is this

5d and subscribed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anybody know any good books on the history of this poo poo? after reading that big ol' PSK post now i wanna see how this poo poo evolved into cell phones

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

psk31 came after cell phones

:pwn:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh that reminds me of this http://www.metamesh.org/

quote:

Meta Mesh takes mesh networking technology and ideas from around the world and implements them in a way that makes mesh networking accessible to anyone, regardless of their technical abilities.

Our company envisions a regional, publicly owned and operated network of inexpensive Wi-Fi nodes on or in residences and small businesses, creating a shared network that is open, secure, anonymous, and free to use.

Unlike regular ISPs’ networks, the PittMesh network has no central points of failure. As long as nodes are powered, no ISP, terrorist organization, weather event, hacker, or government institution can disrupt the entire PittMesh network.

three nodes so far. lol. i guess this has nothing to do with amateur radio but technically, radio signals are involved

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so what happens if hams just start using that band again? if ups isn't using it anymore, does anybody even care

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

gently caress

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/4318150290.html

i'm guessing by the look of the thing that this would be more of a novelty than a useful tool, what do you guys think

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

also this http://youngstown.craigslist.org/ele/4284528224.html

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wow nice fuckin WAP site from 2002

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that's the yosposest thing i've seen in a while

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

from one traffic cone to another, i bring you this quote

PuTTY riot posted:

heres what seems to be a pretty good study website, i like that it tracks progress on each subelement so u know what to work on:

https://hamstudy.org

gonna finish up technician tmw and then rest of the week is gonna be general. i think extra is way too lofty @ this point maybe ill get it later.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

thanks jonny ur the best <3

e:

Jonny 290 posted:

if they don't have a probe and claim it works, tell em to kick rocks

BK PRECISION 1472C 15 MHz, TRIGGERED SWEEP, Sorry no PROBES
Good for Ham Shack.

welp

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fuckit i'm emailing about the old tektronix. i don't care if it's less "useful," it is dope

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

already emailed the guy :getin: asked him about probes and he said he'd send some pics on friday since he's in harrisburg right now

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pretty sure a transponder is a transponder is a transponder

they use it for ATC and collision avoidance systems so they kinda need to be open to everyone

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, that doesn't mean they're actually used though. We may have 28 mhz of shortwave bands allocated all told, but there are only like four or five domestic shortwave stations and the only non-religious one, Voice of America, isn't allowed to target US citizens. It's meant for international listeners only. This rule is stupid and backwards.

oh poo poo i think i used to drive past one of the religious ones all the time here in pa. WMLK, always wondered what was up with that

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

probably cuz you can look up someone's real name with it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

woop yeah there ya go

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

can i listen to local atc on one of the cheapo radios

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

nope, never.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

toot

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so i emailed that craigslist guy about the scope and asked if he had a probe so i could test the thing out, first he replies with a picture of his probe, along with

quote:

I could make a video for you if it would be easier? I really don't know how to use it, but I know how to turn it on and make everything glow and light up.

doesn't know how to use it even though it comes with a manual and a book on oscilloscopes

i reply that that's all right, i can test it myself

quote:

Unfortunately, I do not live in a place by myself - room mates do not welcome 'random' visitors, so I'll have to pass. Sorry. I understand that you'd like to use it - I would too if I was buying.

can't tell if the guy's a scammer or just a chump

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah idfk. i would sever right now but this thing is sick

oh cool i was going to link the post and it's been deleted now. aaaaaargh

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

thats cool, im starting to realize im quickly outgrowing this lil guy

forgot what thread i was in, thought jello was finally getting the abortion

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

robot roll call

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey there's a directv dish on my house that i'm not using. what can i do with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

kewl. i knew this thread wouldnt let me down

• Locked thread