Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

i love stealthing antennas and have had metal in the sky at every place in the past 10 years.

My favorite was when I lived on the ground floor of 3 story apartment building, and right next to my radio room's window were a few vertical PVC pipes running all the way up the building for HVAC drains. I bought a few pieces of the same size and color PVC, built a vertical dipole inside it for 2 meters at the very top, and ran a second coax line up the inside and strung 40 feet of magnet wire onto it. Then under cover of night, I assembled it in the parking lot, threw it up next to the existing pipes and zip tied it to one of them. Then took a chunk of fishing line with a big sinker attached, flung it up in a tree, and pulled the magnet wire up so it was roughly horizontal and about 20 feet off the ground. Stayed up and nobody said a peep for 2 years.

poo poo like this rules

i have an old tv antenna on the side of my house and it looks like i will be mr big spender and actually pay for television service and my new place, is there any cool radio nerd things i can do with it? tv is uhf/vhf right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PuTTY riot posted:

that image stabilization or whatever that is is gonna make me sick lol sry ab that

lol it looks like the intro to archer

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cold on a Cob posted:

i barely know what's going on in this thread but :allears: anyway

s a m e

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

syscall girl posted:

science guys...harold ramis

uh, bill?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bloody posted:

also gsm is dumpster garbage trash and cdma is much better

wrongo. compatibility > everything else.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

dead bug is still a valid construction method for RF circuits

that's a completely functional 20 meter (14 mhz) CW transciever (transmitter and receiver) that somebody just loving built out of parts and pieces of circuit board.

even the chassis is made of pieces of circuit board

40% solder by volume. cmon son.
(that's not your work, right?)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i wish i had the picture of the ungodly linear amplifier he got his hands on, i'll see if i can dig it up.

he also rescued this from the trash which is p. cool (analog help menu):

i need to go dumpster diving where you live

i want a sillyscope so bad, where can i get a good n cheap one that can let me spy on, lets say, 57600baud serial traffic?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

can you get a vanity callsign? do hams east of the Mississippi get W callsigns like radio/tv stations? if possible id really like to have one that starts with whiskey mike

even better get whiskey romeo and connect it to an arduino that just blasts out random posts from the reddit pua board on cw

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

gm, ick

my dad had a chevy citation and it was such a terrible car that not only did he swear off gm forever but 10 year old me swore them off for life also
a product so bad that people avoid your brand years before they could even use your product at all

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

jonny i noticed you haven't posted your callsign in the thread, is that for the normal goons will be goons reasons or is there a ham related reason why giving out ones callsign is frowned upon?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PuTTY riot posted:

apparently their HTs can't only the cars do digital lmao i thought after 9-11 everyone was supposed to be interop

they had to get money, they didn't have to actually change anything
your government inaction

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

idk it would be neat to be licensed to buy cool radio gear and hook it up to cool rc planes and make a drone instead of relying on the government to kill foreigners for me

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i know its been said that rc planes and ham isnt a good mix, but is that more a control issue? what if a normal rc radio was used for flying and the ham radio was used for telemetry/video/other comms but no actual stick and rudder controls?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

"wahh everythings going digital" so what? go digital.

ISS is going to fire up a DTV transmitter and if you're set up for it you'll be able to get high res video from it:

"wahhh the same bands now hold far more content while also reducing the cost to enter my hobby"
"wahhh i liked electromagnetic waves before it was cool"

also that looks rad as hell, as a total newcomer what would be the minimum gear i'd need to pick that up?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

what is the legality of using 433mhz bands (e: in the us)? theres a ton of dirt cheap parts on DX that work with microcontrollers. they seem like they've have very low power but if it will piss off some greybeard in my town then i either wont do that or will do it even harder and smuggier than before

ex: http://dx.com/p/433mhz-rf-transmitter-module-receiver-module-link-kit-for-arduino-arm-mcu-wl-green-220194#.UxTwwMso6Ai

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

This is Radio Free Fishmech, I'm your host Jonny 290. Hello caller, you're on the air.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

Oh and a ham satellite had a really close call, passing only 185 meters from one of those thousands of dead Soviet satellites

http://www.satnews.com/story.php?number=1217780033

that's like a couple f1 cars running a 4-way stop at 150mph and missing each other by a couple of inches

holy poo poo that's close

like rip george clooney close

that would be rad / scary as heck to watch from the sat's pov

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

holy poo poo the next pass us supposed to be within 100m

!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

stop posting all this rad rear end stuff i cant buy until after i finish the projects on my house <:mad:>

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

RTL-SDR sticks. Baofeng handhelds. Interesting and easy kits to complete. Any obscure RF part or connector from Shenzhen to your door via ebay in two weeks. Perfect double-sided finished PCB's via OSHPark. The new DTV transmitter on the ISS. PSK31 on a cheap Android device. Fistfuls of CubeSats going up every couple of months.

I world read the heck out of this Gibson novel.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

of course the local powerhouse has to be 'pop with accents'......

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

thursday if we're on the ball, friday if we're not

work starts the 28th i'd like to have a day of recovery

Go jonny go

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

spankmeister posted:

no it's more like there's "sol" in there that gets pronounced as "saw" which doesn't make any goddamned sense

it would be like spelling solna but pronouncing it like sauna

leftenant, add a new entry to my shedule

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PuTTY riot posted:

i got a $10 iron and kit from radio shack and

nooooooo you will regret this

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

sniep and i are playing with slow scan tv today

he received this on 20 meters from me across town

Wrapping my head around what that acronym could mean for like 3 minutes, oops

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

vox box
its oogly but it works

my goal was to get it done in time for the colorado qso party tomorrow and by god i did

...gently caress you its my first manhattan attempt

What's the advantage of that method? It looks cool, but i don't follow why you wouldn't do a normal etched board, aside from 'don't have etchant'

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

i was able to do this on the kitchen table at 3am with a joint hanging out of my mouth after ruminating over the schematic for 20 mins

Oh also because the pads are affixed with a (sloppy in my case) dot of super glue, a knife edge or twisting torque pops them right off, allowing you to tweak stuff.

also i don't have room for poo poo like a laser printer for toner transfer

Toner transfer? Man i had a paint marker and some press transfer sticker things

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Captain Foo posted:

i don't really understand how anything happens

me irl on all subjects forever and always

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

code:
 #import derail_from_another_thread.c

:eng101: wifi channels 1-6 exist in a part of the spectrum shared with the 13 centimeter amateur band. if you stick to "ham radio rules" (ID with your callsign, nothing offensive, no crypto and no for-profit traffic), you are allowed to use up to your license limit, which for all classes in the US is 1500 watts peak power and no limit on antenna gain, which is a bit more than the watt or two you get with 'regular wifi' :eng101:

the callsign thing is nicely dealt with by making your SSID your callsign, it goes out in the clear every packet

So, always use channel 13 for my home gear, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

the WARFA net is the ham radio equivalent of a Historically Black college and Crowell (W6WBJ) is a super piece of poo poo troll

like, it's a mostly minority radio club?

• Locked thread