Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

thread owns

an engineering student in holland made a web SDR gateway. SDR is hella cool b/c it basically allows you to listen to the whole spectrum at once (as much as your gear allows) then do the actual tuning and signal processing in software. this allows you to tune to any number of signals, simultaneously!

so anyway this guy went and did that and made a web interface for it, so now you can go ahead and listen to a p big spectrum without needing any gear yourself.

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Oh and BTW they call the CB band 27MC here, MC being MegaCycles, the ye olde way of saying MegaHertz. you can imagine non-radio people getting 27mc and 27cm confused, which are two totally different bands. oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

longview posted:

Fun fact: the local oscillator leakage can be severe enough in cheap radios that you can pick it up pretty far away, this is how the mythical TV-license van could detect a running TV by pointing a directional antenna at the aerial.

this is how radar detector detectors work also

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

longview posted:

that's a cool trick, I guess that's why some scanners have IF outputs, would save a little time

my proudest radio hacker moment was sitting in a dark hotel room on a business trip at 11 pm and working out that my Tecsun PL-660 receiver was misaligned by 1 kHz from the factory and using a leatherman charge and SignalScope on my iphone to align the BFO with some shady russian pictures as a reference, then aligning it by tuning +-1 kHz from RWM at 4995 kHz and checking the AF frequency on the audio analyzer app

checked it after, perfectly aligned :c00lbert:

it's all about having your tonge out at the correct angle when making adjustments

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

this overly enthusiastic australian dude visited an analog TV transmitter station recently, p interesting stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR_wJkxKSXU

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 23, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

aaaag all those different baofeng UV-5x versions are making me crazy i don't know which to get

i'm just gonna get a random one i guess

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

just get the UV5RA if you are wanting to keep it cheaper, or get the GT3 if you want a better display and can spend a few more bucks

i'm seeing these plus versions, they appear to have a bit more freq range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-Vers...=item43c14abb79

goes up to 520MHz i.s.o. 480MHz

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Ah, go for one of those then (though that is a plus just b/c its an indication of a later firmware, not b/c there's anything between 480 and 520 at least in the US)
encoding another video, CB this time - stand by

after listening to that i'm reconsidering this purchase, however.

e: caught your vid before you ninja edited

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

longview posted:

EEVBlog is awesome, I prefer Mike's Electric Stuff videos when he posts them because they're always straight to the point, like today he posted a video about filling a tub with water and enameled wire to make a 800W dummy load
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WECW88rJYrE

yeah eevblog owns my only problem is that the guy Dave likes to ramble a bit, stretching a 10 minute video into 40 minutes.

mikeselectricstuff owns too my only gripe with that one is that he needs to post more

:justpost:

i saw his vid on the dummy load earlier, the idea is brilliant

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

there's an shall we say "unlicensed amateur radio enthusiast" near my moms place and whenever he's transmitting i can hear it over my moms DECT phone. :mad:

e: thinking about reporting his rear end, i really could not give a poo poo about radio pirates if they have their poo poo together but this dude clearly doesn't have his poo poo together

e2: i occasionally pick him up on my phone's earbuds whenever there is no music playing. also when i was still living there i picked him up on my (very very crappy) desktop mic

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 24, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

syscall girl posted:

why do i always learn about science guys dying on this forum

:rip: harold ramis

busting ghosts up in heaven. :unsmith:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

is it possible to spy on people's cell phone calls. gsm, i figure cdma would be a total pita cause of the hashing thing and anyway only at&t has signal at my house in the sticks

yes it is but it's easier with a phone with custom fw

https://events.ccc.de/congress/2010/Fahrplan/attachments/1783_101228.27C3.GSM-Sniffing.Nohl_Munaut.pdf

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

oh hey i found my fathers rig in my email:

my_posting_rig.jpg

drat you pops has a lot of cool stuff man, great condition too by the looks of it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

today i decoded some p2000 emergency services pager signals using my RTLSDR dongle and some software:

p. neat

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

super hot, nice. feel free to kick deetz on the software down, I don't know poo poo about the rtlsdr stuff yet and am ordering a dongle tomorrow

ok so i got a DVB-T dongle with the RTL2832U and a RT820 tuner chip. the 820 has a bit less range on the high end than the E4000 (1800 ish vs 2200 is) but the E4000 has a gap around 1.2Ghz or so? I'm not 100% on these numbers but ballpark.

then i used SDR# (google for sdrsharp) which is a good program for working with these things.
Looks like this:

(not my pic)

e: the usb driver is finicky for this setup, the sdr-install on http://rtlsdr.org/softwarewindows takes care of that

then you have to have a monitor mode thingy on your soundcard, on some cards it's called "stereo mix", or "what u hear" or something. this is so you get the audio output from SDR# into the decoder software

the software to decode pager stuff is called PDW, it does all kinds of pager protocols. the screenshot i posted in my previous post is PDW.

it's real finicky to set up right because you have to get the levels properly set up and there's like 5 different places you can set volume.
i couldn't get anything to work right until i found this guide:

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-pocsag-pager-decoding/

the thing i was having trouble with was fixed with these settings:

Tune to a pager POCSAG/Flex signal. Set the receive mode to NFM, filter bandwidth to 12500 Hz, filter order to 10, and turn squelch OFF, and filter audio OFF. Adjust the RF gain settings under the Configure menu until good reception is achieved.

PDW does a whole bunch of protocols. the only thing to remember is that you can only do 2FSK this way, if you want 4FSK you need a "discriminator" or whatever.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 26, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

transfatphobic posted:

if i buy that cheap handset you mentioned in the cj thread what can i do with it?

the one that whoever the gently caress bought

yeah i reckon you can if the pager freqs in the us are in the range of what the baofeng can receive. all you need then is a sound card and a whole lotta time to mess with a 100 gain sliders

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Very informative! We should experiment with the other modulations because a discriminator tap is just a wider signal without any lowpass filtering, i'd imagine we can figure it out.

super excited to get that thing now
right, that makes sense. the SDR can do whatever so the only limit is the sound card. maybe if you just use 192Khz it'll be wide enough. i don't know if PDW can handle that.

the creator did opensource it a while ago so there are certainly possibilities.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

there's some ERMES signals flying around here which is 4FSK so i can do some testing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what else can you do with an rtlsdr?

yeah, that's right. motherfucking airplane transponders bitch!

next up is plotting them on a map but planeplotter is being annoying

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the google map plugin isn't working but here's a live chart of overhead planes:

i think i'm at the limits of my setup SNR wise because i'm missing data but the standard whip antenna that comes with it has worked so far. it's inside on my desk and i've made no effort on placement or w/e.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

ya the 99 was just a lemon or something, rear axle replaced under warranty, maybe the transmission too??? idk, the earlier ones and the newer ones were all better, just that year.

hey question for ppl who buy lots of slowboat poo poo from china: if china post tracking says 'despatch from sorting center SHENZHEN' is it on the boat now? and how long does it usually take to get across the pacific + thru customs?

anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months really. :shobon:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

holy cow that owns!

update: bought an sdr stick for 18 bucks. woop

:hfive:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i ordered a bunch of stuff today, most notably the baofeng UV-5RE+, with a nagoya RH-771, UT-106, USB cable and also a pigtail for my RTLSDR dongle so i can connect SMA antennas to it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

lemme know how you like that antenna. its fukken huge and would prob only be good for fukken around in the yard

i probably ordered a fake because it was like $6 but oh well.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

That's not a frequency limitation or anything by the way, it's just that air traffic still uses AM modulation and the little chinarigs only demodulate FM.

what the baofengs do below 136 mhz? b/c air traffic control is like 118

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Verdafolio posted:

found a web based sdr: http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ if anyone wants to play around with the air around the netherlands

i posted that poo poo on like page 2 son

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

im not having the best of luck w/ sdr# but im thinking its prob this poo poo antenna
put the gain on max

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah you need to crank the gain way up on those fuckers or the snr is poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

*technically illegal

lol why

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

welcome to the cheapo conputer radio club btw guys

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that sounds cool as hell but can you get it on ebay for under $20?

b/c i'd just get an RT2832 dongle

and u can do p25 with a program called DSD

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dijkstra posted:

See my latest post in the ham radio thread for a summary of the clusterfuck

this is the ham radio thread :confused:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

You'd better believe that I am hitting them up as hard as I can to see if they need any engineering help, equipment or other resources.

This would be a great resume item.

e: gently caress, they may not be up by the time i'm moved. Still, good opportunity to reach out

do iiiit

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

how many loving times do i need to post that before someone picks up on it goddam i posted it on like page 2 <:mad:>

anyway thing owns

also i used to live in the city where that receiver is located :getin:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My RH-771 arrived today, i just don't have anything to hook it up to yet.

in other news i tried to decode TETRA transmissions today but holy poo poo the software to do that is really bad.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

idgi what are y'all talking avbout?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ohh i see :f5:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anyonw have good recs for a 1GHz antenna? I want to receive airplane transponders better.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny's is in the "other" ham thread :ssh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fuckin ebay. i received both my antennas but not my baofeng or my pigtail for my sdr. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i love Manhattan style and this is really done right

• Locked thread