Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
sell them and buy a scope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

drat I'd be down with that but I'm too far away

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

the meters is a rly good band

actually true

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

the meters is a rly good band

actually true

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

startin to get a good parts box going on

electromechanicals are next. i need a big fedora full of switches, pots, trimpots, plugs, jacks

get s scope jonny

pls jonny

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

its making GBS threads all over the main denver packet freq, 145.05
I think im going to go ahead and spend $300 on the rigol whatever, rather than trying to slum it with a used Tek.
just gonna be a bit later on.

do it

it's the rigol ds1054z (50 mhz) you want, you can unlock it "into" a ds1104z (100 mhz) and also add all the options (advanced trigger, serial decoding, ...)

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

How to blow $6 billion on a tech project
Military's 15-year quest for the perfect radio is a blueprint for failing big.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

longview posted:

it came with the latest firmware revision, which means the option keys are all different so i'll lose the EMI filters, SWR plotter and advanced measurement package once the trial runs out, but it's not like i'm doing EMC or complex modulations at home anyway so no huge loss

You can unlock all the options for free using this

It will work for your DSA and the DS1074z

it's pretty risk free and you dont even need to flash a new firmare, you type the serial number, enter the option mask you want then you type the code it gives you in the option menu on your scope/sa like you would if you actually bought the options

EDIT: if you upgrade the ds1074z use the option mask DSER which is everyhting BUT the 500uV range. the ds1000z doesn't have the hardware for it so it's pretty weird theres an option for that. then again theres an option to unlock your bandwidth to 100mhz, which isnt even an option you can buy...

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

i upgraded my 1054z and it works p well, i didnt know about the 500uv range and im just too lazy to figure out how to remove the option so i just never use it

its a shame about the DSA.. youre doing the right thing about not shorting pins though

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

jonny do you have a tivoli model one/two? id love to hear your thoughts about it

apparently it has a pretty sophisticated tuner (derived from cellphone tech) but i have no idea if its just marketing fluff or not

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

spankmeister posted:

80's tek best tek

that's not a 465B??

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

iirc the recommendation was get a scope with a bandwidth 5x your maximum frequency to eliminate sampling artifacts?

that's assuming you're getting a digital sampling oscilloscope

you can't go wrong with any tek from the 70s-80s, if all you need is 2 channels then 100$ for a 2225 sounds great jonny

with analog the specified bandwidth means you're getting -3 dB at that frequency so if you dont care about measurement accuracy and all you want to know is "what's this wave shape" or "is there something there" you can go over the specified freq

Olivil fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 13, 2016

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

longview posted:

so a few weeks ago i bought this ting on ebay, took a while to get the customs paperwork sorted since it came from the Czech republic, but it just got here this evening

owns

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

spankmeister posted:

I went to this place the other day: http://www.cryptomuseum.com and it was really awesome. They had a bunch of crypto machines like enigma ofc and a very rare russian Fialka.

But the radio stuff was also v. cool and interesting like spy radios and stuff.

One of the things the guide mentioned was that the nazis allowed hams to keep operating in Germany during war time, provided that theyade a full report each day on the propagation conditions of each band. They could then use this information to communicate more effectively.

this really rekindled my desire for a Sony ICF-2001D

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

not ham related but what's a good pocket sized AA powered fm radio these days?

internal speaker a nice bonus

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

MullardEL34 posted:

If you feel like making this into a fun evening project, take look at the Tecsun 2P3 Kit.

that looks cool! thanks!

In the end I went with a Sangean DT-400w

its yellow and NOAA bands are a small bonus
Should be here by Friday :toot:

Olivil fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

So I received the radio and it's good! Impressive reception, it sounds surprisingly good even on the built in speaker and it feels well made.

What do the pos radio thread think of the Tecsun PL-310et?

• Locked thread