Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Korean Boomhauer posted:

so i guess they regrounded the local repeater wrong and now the repeater is playing FM radio.

call the DJ and ask what kind of radio he's using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I thought my TM-241A had a dead memory battery, but I just replaced the fucker and it still won't store poo poo. Ah well.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

need 2 get my hands on a HF rig but I don't have time or money to :(

wish there was a uv-5r HF equivalent but there's just not a market for it apparently construction crews and fishermen and poo poo buy the hell out of those baofengs

I'm thinking of selling my all-bands rig because my lot is too small and antennas are expensive... But it was given to me by a really good friend so I may just ask if he wants it back.

I'd love a handheld that could do HF but I think antennas would gently caress you over. There is a mobile-sized unit that can do 10/20m IIRC but I forget the name, I know someone in the other radio thread has one.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

i got a $10 iron and kit from radio shack and some of that braid desoldering stuff I think I'm gonna give it a whack tonight at my desk at work I hope I don't set off a smoke alarm or stink up the building lol

You probably won't set off the smoke alarm but you will stink up your office.

Liquid flux is really helpful for soldering if you can find it...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody posted:

lmfao if you solder without uhh something from this page http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...d=0&pageSize=25 although i actually have no idea what flux we use but the poo poo is fantastic

i just bought a big bottle of the liquid stuff and put it in some syringes. flux is loving magic, especially when you're soldering surface-mount.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crossbar posted:

just bought a Bofang or whatever the gently caress radio off amazon and started studying for the test because of this thread.

looks like my area has a pretty active ham club. should I join? the pics on their website make it look like all grandpas

it will be all grandpas, tedious 20-something neckbeards, and maybe eagle scout toolbags (the worst of them all)

there should be a nation-wide chill net at like 11 p.m. on Thursdays, everybody just get on a local repeater and drink beers, no radio or politics talk allowed. all the greybeards and children go to bed by 8:30 so you're set.

PuTTY riot posted:

yeah do it so u can talk on their repeaters. ur not gonna be able to do much else w/ a baofeng unless simplex on the interstate is actually a thing?

i talk on their repeaters anyway, gently caress it how are they going to stop me?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

wait too long and i will become a volunteer examiner and park my bus in front of ur driveway so you cant go to work till you pass lol

i'm studying for the general right now and according to the test i think you'll need at least two more VEs for that :colbert:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

got my general this morning, time to talk about ailments worldwide

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

those switch detents. you know some guy spent 3 weeks getting that right.

i loving love detents, love to play with my knob if you know what i mean

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

what's a good sdr board to get because the one at utwente.nl is loving amazing and i want something like that

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

utwente is a one-off custom fab and there is no other radio like that on the planet. their ADC is burly as gently caress

I don't even know what to recommend because to me it's either RTL-SDR pocket change goofery, a flexradio (which is a transciever and has lots of extra poo poo for that) or something like a hackRF which is what you're looking for bandwidth-wise, buuuuut they generally don't cover HF like utwente

yeah RTL-SDR is a nice price but doesn't go below 25 MHz which kind of sucks. seems like maybe buying the softrock rx ensemble ii and an rtl-sdr should get you pretty much every drat thing though, for about $100?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao @ diode pricing. 1 for 29 cents, 3 for 79, 20 for 99 and 100 for $1.79

presumably 1 is so expensive because some dork in shenzhen has to take a roll of diodes, separate one and bag it, whiel for 100 they just toss the whole roll into the box and call it a day

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

It's coming

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HF-6-Band-3-15W-HF-TRANSCEIVER-QRP-SSB-CW-Dual-mode-/121514100347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4ace067b

from what i've heard they don't want to spend money on output filtering of their weird SDRs though so theyre having a bitch of a time getting any sort of type acceptance

the chinese love serif typefaces on their labels and it's kind of endearing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

its pretty height dependent for sure. generally the beardos recommend 4:1 for low ones, under 10M height above ground or so, maybe go up to a 6:1 if it's higher than that. Def 4:1 in your situation though, which is fortunately really easily DIYable (i had a homebrew ocfd back in Arkansas that I enjoyed a great deal, balun was made of pvc and speaker wire)

could you talk a little about how you made the balun?

i have an "ugly balun" for my dipole at home, just wound the coax tightly around an old yogurt tub, but i don't really have any measurement devices so who knows what it's actually doing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Ears have an impedance curve. it's neat

so i'm thinking of going to a Meetup for the prepper net guys. we had a good net last night, everybody talked about lightning protection and such. the main takeaways were that they're newer, or at least not-old-guard hams; they all have very modest stations save for a few well-set-up guys; and despite the fact that this is a 'prepper' meeting, have not heard ONE bit about politics, obama, NAFTA, NATO, FEMA, body bags of ANY type, controlled demolitions, false flags or birth certificates over about three hours of net. i'll be happy to hang out with some of these dudes + get antennas up

Also they run a 2.4 mesh network using http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/ and want nodes out in Aurora. One guy in town already reached out to me. Oh and this poo poo just happpppppppens to run on ubiquiti nanostations :D

that actually sounds really cool, the biggest problem with talking to hams is that they don't have any other interests and just want to talk about their new $3000 antenna.

post a trip report

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i was looking at the broadband-hamnet thing and eventually led myself to this article:

http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/images/stories/DataEncryptionIsLegal.pdf

any thoughts on that? i've long held that restricting encryption makes networking over ham frequencies kind of hard because 1) can't use it for normal wifi stuff because of WPA + the prevalence of https, 2) gently caress if i'm running telnet to log in to a machine

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

been ruminating on broadbandhamnet + packet all morning

I'm thinking that in order to deploy a successful ham network you can't just structure it like the internet

code:
enduser \
enduser - 1200 bps 2 meter node---------------------fatpipe to next town-----------------1200bps 2 meter node -enduser
enduser/                                                                                                                                                                               \enduser

unlike the internet, your slowest links are your longest range ones.

I'm thinking more of a bank system, where you have one town that has four or five nodes of 1200bps packet. These have wide area but slow bandwidth. they get aggregated via high speed mesh links in town, and there's a backbone (or 2) point to point to the next town over.

Fidonet worked on a similar-ish principle, right? Aggregate all the traffic that needs to leave the town, then dial up an upstream guy and send it all in a batch, he batches messages that need to go further upstream and messages that go back downstream to other local nodes. Fidonet did it because long-distance phone calls were expensive; our motivation is that long-distance connections are "expensive" in routing terms, luckily not monetary terms.

what i'd like to see is some way to associate a public/private keypair with your callsign. that way you would send signed messages within a worldwide ham net and people could actually verify that you were the one who sent it, not some dick using your callsign. if the FCC would let you put a key signature in the ULS that would probably be sufficient

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

what i want to see is an amateur-run troposcatter network

wikipedia tells me they use transmitters in the 1 to 50 kW range. my microwave says 1000 watts on it.

i'm thinking spark-gap style morse transmission by toggling it on and off with the door open

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bought an RTL-SDR, it came with this tiny little joke of an antenna

what can i build to do better, and what should i listen to when i'm done?

the stock antenna is so poo poo it can only pick up two local FM stations, i can't even get it to read nearby 2m repeaters

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

turn on automatic gain control if you haven't

you can build a better antenna, customized for what you want to do

made a coaxial colinear antenna for ADS-B

look at my other posts itt

oh poo poo i'm tracking airplanes as they head in to Oakland and SFO, seeing like 10 at any given time.

this is with the lovely stock antenna so maybe i'll build a better one later

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

so i've got fldigi listening on the stereo mix input from sdr#

if i want to try and decode some of the digital poo poo on 2m around here, how would i get started? i assume i start by tuning sdr# to the frequency of interest, but using what mode? and then there are a billion operating modes in fldigi, how do i know which one to use?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

it sounds neat but i'm not really a yosposter, also my interest in radio tends to wax and wane... if you want to put up a block diagram i'd enjoy looking at that at least

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

what should i be doig to design pcbs because ive never done one and the only thing ive used is whatever is bundled with that Multisim program and it draws all these loving lines everywhere and I get the concept of nets and all that but it seems too complex to lay out a sane board

i'm at the point where i need to send off for boards and its stressing me out because i dont know how to do them on the computer and my next project is an 8 (!) channel i/o audio interface/matrix switcher for the ham desk

any tips

I used eagle for PCB design and it was OK I guess? but that was 2007

http://www.123dapp.com/circuits looks interesting too

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

#weedpunk

pa0rdt miniwhip in a jar from the Colorado Store

i'm trying a 2n3819 instead of a j301 or whatever, its a somewhat similar jfet best i can tell

perfect ~15 ma draw so far. building the power injector now

i looked up the circuit and it looks really loving simple

maybe i'll build one when i get to albuquerque

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

echinopsis posted:

what do yo guys talk about on radios

radios

what else would you talk about?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

it's a little off-topic but since you guys like to buy poo poo from china, have you come across any cheap basic cellphones that looked ok? wondering if maybe i shouldn't be spending all my free time loving around on a smartphone and should just get a fliphone instead. also :quig:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sniep posted:

we actually espouse loudly from all rooftops to not buy things with radios in them from china

because they suck heartily

small parts and poo poo tho go hog wild

the baofeng works while my kenwood mobile keeps losing its memory even though i put a new backup battery

i'm probably too addicted to reading something awful on the shitter at work to give up my smartphone anyway :smith:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i'm moving to albuquerque soon and when i get there i'll probably buy an old pickup before long, and then i'll just wire the kenwood directly to the battery (well, directly via a fuse) so it'll always get that sweet trickle of juice that keeps the memory alive even when the radio is turned off.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

please buy one and find out what the gently caress it is and if it's any good (it won't be, hail satan)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

movers brought my poo poo today, time to see how lovely the 2m scene is and whether or not I can hang a dipole in my back yard without breaking my neck.

there's a couple big conifers back there with no branches for like 30' so that could work

as for insulators, is it ok to use the plastic electric fence insulators you'd get at a farm supply store?

like this

hell, i should just buy some of those and a bunch of fencing wire, make a "shepherd's dipole" and submit it to whatever the new zealand equivalent of the arrl is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i have a 10m dipole that i built back in CA, with a lovely "ugly balun", and i guess I'll try to rig that up, but what other antennas should i look at building for my back yard? it's pretty big, probably about 40'x40', with some trees at the SE, NE, and NW corners. House is along the south side, split-level so the east half of the house is 2 stories.

edit: i have an all-band hf rig

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

longview posted:

are you looking for DXing or just general purpose?

if you have a decent tuner you can make almost anything work, i got very good performance out of my 80m horizontal delta loop running NVIS, and with the right feed that type of antenna will tune up on any band

a lot of people like trap dipoles, stay away from windomes and other unbalanced antennas like longwires if you can, RFI into the shack tends to be a problem, always use a balun

i don't really have a decent tuner, just the auto tuner in the rig. i could try to find something on ebay or see if any of the local old farts have some stuff to sell.

oh drat the ABQ hamfest is in 10 days: https://dukecityhamfest.org/

delta loop seems doable, i'll look at it some more

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i have two possible rooms for setting up ham poo poo, is it better to have the station on the second floor so you can be close to the antenna, or at ground level so you can get a good ground easily?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Incomplete Fish posted:

I actually have 50 ft of uhf cable that I bought by accident. I'll try throwing it up in a tree and see what i get. I figure if it's not enough I can rip it open and take out one of the conductors and combine them, then cut it down to size.

Rather than ruin your UHF cable, I'd recommend buying a 100ft spool of wire like http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FG...qI4L&ref=plSrch

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

movers brought my poo poo today, time to see how lovely the 2m scene is and whether or not I can hang a dipole in my back yard without breaking my neck.

there's a couple big conifers back there with no branches for like 30' so that could work

as for insulators, is it ok to use the plastic electric fence insulators you'd get at a farm supply store?

like this

hell, i should just buy some of those and a bunch of fencing wire, make a "shepherd's dipole" and submit it to whatever the new zealand equivalent of the arrl is.

bought a bag of 10 of these for $7:

i'll probably try to hillbilly something up using these and paracord because I have paracord on hand.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

ok what if i operated a pirate top 40 ham radio station

FCC direction finding, loss of license if any, big fine.

edit: i mean realistically it might take a while to get caught especially if you're mobile and don't tx 24/7. but if you just set up a station in your house and run it all day some old guy will come knocking pretty quick. he'll have notified the FCC too because old guys live for that poo poo, gotta be the HOA of the air

(a pirate station on ham bands would be fun for a while tho if you did better than top 40)

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 29, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i bought a lovely radio shack 10 meter radio for 30 dollars at the hamfest and sure as poo poo i hook it up and get some 59 reports from idaho and calgary

lol
these things are great

post pics

but also hams are like some science fiction race that has forgotten that "59" is actually supposed to mean something, they just sorta chant it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

anyone interested in playing with hf packet radio, specifically UUCP over AX.25 to transfer files, email, and newsgroups? i'm working out how to set up a soundcard tnc + linux AX.25 + Taylor UUCP + INN news daemon, but at some point I'm going to need someone on the other end to test things.

why do this instead of the more traditional ham options? for starters, traditional ham software is basically a dumpster fire. with this, you can communicate in public newsgroups or "private" mail, and copy files to each other if you want, using regular unix programs that are actually documented.

uucp over packet radio is also something that used to be reasonably common back in the day, and should still work quite well because uucp was originally designed for lovely slow links (including 300 baud modems and 300 baud packet radio). it eliminates the overhead of tcp/ip and instead should be able to just run uucp's own simple protocol over the ax.25 link-level protocol.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i'm really interested in this but i haven't made the plunge on a non-handheld (except for all the RTL-SDRs and the rad1o) yet

so you'd need a hf rig... my antenna seems to do best on 20 and 40 so you'd want one of those, maybe 40 since it actually works at night. and an antenna. total you'd probably be looking at a few hundred bucks which is a lot just to try and possibly fail to send packet to me, but if you're already interested in trying hf, contact the old farts at the local ham club and see if anyone's selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

I dunno tbh. might be worth searching for a test session in the second or third week o june if you feel up to it

You just have to pass the test and you can operate $CALL/AE in extra bands until you show up in ULS, then it's real deal and you can drop the /AE

as if a true amateur radio athlete would slow himself down by adding /AE to every transmission.

• Locked thread