Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i need to hurry the gently caress up and get my general so i can hike up into the hills and psk-31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the good folks at the Maritime Historical Radio Society are keeping the coast radio station KPH running. it's got a transmit site in Bolinas, CA with a receive site further north on Point Reyes, connected via telephone (leased line? idk). They use the original transmitters, receivers, and antennas, and keep it running.

here's some ~art photos~ I took in the receive site building, which is open on saturdays (I think) and maybe other days too

KPH 1 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

this picture has the phone numbers on that piece of paper on the left censored so you fuckers can't call up and turn their transmitter on and off remotely. here's the full size so you can read the other parts if you're interested

KPH 2 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

this room is full of digital teletypes and old computers. the thing in the rack on the upper left is a "RAINFALL ACCUMULATOR". one of the teleprinters has the station's final commercial message (in its original incarnation) from 1997 as the last thing on the paper output roll which is just cool as gently caress

KPH 3 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

AMTOR teletypes

KPH 4 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

I have no idea what the gently caress these are (other than "RCA model 901") but one of them is labeled "INTRUDER ALARM"

KPH 5 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

my_posting_station.jpg

KPH 6 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

the main operating station, with a very noisy teletype actively printing out messages from folks

KPH 7 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Richard Dillman co-founded the Maritime Historical Radio Society and is a volunteer operator for KPH. Here he's talking with some "characters" (his word, not mine) on the teletype

KPH 8 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

and sending the daily sign-off message with his Vibroplex

KPH 9 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

receive antennas; there's a very complicated counterweight system attached to the building side of these

KPH 10 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

more receive antennas

Delicate Traceries of Shortwave Antennas Hang Between Steel Poles by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Transmission antennas at Bolinas

The transmission site of the former coast radio station KPH. by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

more transmission antennas

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 23, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

EMERGENCY SHUT DOWN

IF RS [receive site] LOSES POWER THE TONES AND TELL LINE DROP AND THE BL [Bolinas] TX3 ALL DROP H7 [?] AND SO THEY ARE OFF THE AIR -- BUT THE FILAMENTS ARE STILL ON. IF POWER IS NOT RESTORED TO RS SOON, CALL INTO BL FROM A WORKING PHONE AND TURN OFF THE FILAMENTS AS PER THE USUAL SHUTDOWN.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:stonk:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

and then you work on the antenna a bit more and

:catdrugs:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sniep posted:

this is the HT antenna that i use on my FT-60R

Is that a Smiley? I had a Smiley tri-band which I think they later renamed to dual-band because it was bad at 222mhz or w/e, but it went missing somewhere :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i think that's more for childless old folk who would be leaving their property to the state otherwise

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i've heard numbers stations a few times, mostly in spanish. poo poo's mildly creepy late at night

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

this all sdr stuff seems way easier than hooking up my T90A to my computer. what's the best dongle for radio performance

edit: or do selectivity and sensitivity and poo poo even apply when it's SDR

edit: can i decode p25 with an SDR

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the purpose-built bladerf/hackrf/funcube dongle/etc SDRs seem pretty cool

quote:

The bladeRF x115 comes with a larger 115KLE Cyclone IV FPGA that provides additional room for hardware accelerators and signal processing chains including FFTs, Turbo Decoders, transmit modulators/filters, and receive acquisition correlators for burst modems.

I don't know what that most of that means or how I'd use it, but it sounds cyberpunk as poo poo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

can i build a wideband omnidirectional receive antenna by sorta taking a log-periodic and rotating it through a circle through space

it would end looking like a cone made of solid rings, or maybe just rings of vertical elements

something like these except not horizontally connected

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

holy poo poo the next pass us supposed to be within 100m

!

im the kessler syndrome

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i found some lil' HTs. don't think they're worth anything, so I'll probably buy 'em to have around

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

hook a loving generator to an antenna and spin it such that it works at 17,200 hertz instead of your normal 50/60. Add a switch in line. Boom, an EMP-proof transmitter that requires more mechanical than electrical engineers to service

i'm the seventeen zillion poles

I wonder if it's possible to carefully tune a tesla coil and transmit via arc antenna

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ah need tah talk ta yew

in a baaaaaad way

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

that's how amateur radio operators coordinate a phone JO sesh by the way

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

how feasible is it to build a wideband RF power amplifier with some sort of SDR IF > amp > IF thing

is there a book on radio and amplifier design I could read

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I guess if you wanted to do it my way you'd have to have one hell of an output IF generator

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

put down the chocolate covered banana and step away from the european currency system

what's yer angle, whatcha thinkin

cause i mean we can glue parts together in many ways but only some of them will make sense.

I only know 66% of what I'm talking about, but my idea was a broadband amplifier for the bladeRF's transmitter bit, since it only outputs 3 mw

i actually have no idea how an RF amplifier is constructed or works but I was thinking transmitter > IF down to a fixed frequency, like a receiver's IF stage > power amp designed for that frequency > back up to transmit frequency???

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

okay, gotcha.

alright, so i am going to state that i am not a professional RF engineer. i do not know all the tricks and only know a bit of the math

in general, frequency conversion is best done at low signal levels. yes what you are wanting to do is in the realm of a broadband power amplifier.

but before we begin, i want to yap about construction practices. As your frequency goes up, two things happen - physical dimensions start to becomes bigger fractions of a wavelength, and circuits become more sensitive to the trace inductance and capacitance provided by the construction materials and methods. So if you're building a 3.5 mhz amplifier for a little bitty CW transmitter you can just make it in a pie tin or altoids can or whatever the gently caress, manhattan/dead-bug it, who cares it'll work fine. But if you're building a 2 meter amp, you need to at least keep your leads short, don't run wires parallel, etc. gigahertz range amplifiers use the PCB themselves as capacitances, inductances and transmission lines. think of it as macro-scale chip fabrication techniques, manipulating the substrate and layers to create circuit elements.

long story short, an amp to cover say 300 -3800 MHz (bladeRF range) is going to need to be constructed on par with any other 3.8 GHz amplifier. careful, careful attention to detail is gonna be needed. The upside is that some very cool chips exist that can make this almost as easy as can be. we've mentioned them before, but Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuits are what you're looking for here. Get out your 15 watt iron and the brightest LED lamp you can because this is surface mount territory. No devices with leads allowed.

Basically small all-in-one amplifiers on a chip, they are usually built to take 50 ohms input and output, can be regarded as pretty idiot-proof gain blocks and have a design that lends them to fairlystraightforward construction at microwave frequencies. One of their signature traits is that they usually take their DC power input as a bias on the amplifier output - this seems backwards and wrong, but if you consider the case of an MMIC preamp mounted at the antenna at the top of a long coax run (to help combat cable loss for receiving) it means that you can literally just shoot DC up the line with a little tee in the shack and be done with it. If you want to power it via a separate line, you just hang an RF choke off the output line and feed DC through the other end of that. That's what you'll be doing for your TX amp project.

Now, as far as I know, you're going to be able to get somewhere between 500 mW and 2 watts with the biggest common MMIC that you can get off ebay or whatever. But you only have +6 dbm power output, and you're trying to get to +27 to +33 dbm. getting a wide band single mmic with that much gain is going to be tough. it'd be much smarter to find a PCB kit for a two stage mmic amp (these are on ebay for like 10 bucks, add two chips and a couple SMD caps/inductors and you're done) or even the full chassis+pcb kit that comes with SMAs and everything. Then just pick two MMICs - both of them should have the frequency range you care about, the bigger one should be speced for high power output, and the first stage selected should make up however much gain you want.

say you find a device with +27 dBm max output (500 mw) and 16 db gain. you need to find another 6 dB gain to get to 27 dB, but what would be nicer is if you had, say, a stage with 10-12 dB gain. Then you could back the bladeRF down to 1 dBm output (one mW), lowering the heat on the radio itself and keeping things more stable. then you have one stage of mmic that takes your signal up to like 10, 20 mW, and that signal drives your final MMIC to crank out five hundred milliwatts of sperm-destroying, pizza-reheating microwave power

words words words. i hope this has helped more than confused. i believe for your project it would be an excellent direction to take, as long as you are comfortable with a little bit of basic surface mount soldering.

I have never soldered anything on a surface before, but yes this definitely helps. i must do research and probably also buy a soldering station and LEARN 2 SMD IN 30 MINUTES kit

and also decide whether I really want to spend $420-$650, plus equipment, plus a good antenna, plus transverter (maybe) on a radio at this point in my life

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

You need to stop all the downloading

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I like how the "UHF connector" is one of the worst choices for UHF applications

Jonny 290 posted:

hey nice! that sounds like a pretty nice setup. i'm down on cash right now so my sdr in a tree project is going to have to wait but i'm thinking:

-raspi
-2x dongle
-1x hfupconverter
-mini-whip for hf, my new little 420 mhz (yes i cut it for 420 mhz) discone design for vhf/uhf
-ghetto POE using an 18v laptop adapter up the line, buck converter at the raspi to drop it to 5v

i figure i can fit all of this in a rougly 2 foot chunk of 4" ID PVC with tons of room to spare. cap the top and put the discone on top of that, mini whip in the middle, electronics at the bottom. maybe shield the raspi and sticks, not 100% sure yet. thinking its a good idea tho

my plan: drive to the top of a mountain w/ laptop, dongle, and car whip

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

tryin' to figure out whether to get a car mount with an N, TNC, or FME connector. thinking FME because I'll have to run it under panels and through holes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

longview posted:

yeah just solder whatever, if you need a connector that's exposed I'd go with N since it's somewhat waterproof

comedy option: MCX

my car's already got a 3/4" hole drilled in the top of the rear side panel, and a broken-off CB mount stuck in it. I'm trying to find an NMO mount that'll take a minimum of effort to set up, because :effort:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I found a pair of old "FM/VHF/UHF" LNAs that have F connectors and plug into the wall. One of them has a gain dial and an "FM trap" switch which I'm assuming toggles an 88-108mhz bandpass filter. How likey are these to do anything of note if I hook them up to my upcoming RTLSDR dongle?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i want to get my General and set up an automated SSTV station that transmits a never-ending stream of corgi photos, one every five minutes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

got my RTLSDR and immediately rediscovered how bad all radio software is

can we hire a user interface designer or something? just one good program is all I ask

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

icom needs to make an updated R3 with a DSP and poo poo for decoding all sorts of things

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my sdr dongle is cool but is there any way to get rid of this bullshit

and all the other apparently spurious signals scattered around which, since they stay in the same place on the waterfall as I tune, I'm guessing are generated by the tuner

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hmm multipsk can decode a whole bunch of digital modes, AND directly control an RTLSDR dongle. guess I'll give it a tr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I wonder if there's a connection between having Tech Tomes as a child and posting in YOSPOS. my grandparents knew I liked computers so they bought me the 11th edition of Upgrading and Repairing PCs for christmas in 1999, when I was 7

I read the whole thing, and here I am

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i've fallen into it and am now researching what the best way is to send data over gigabit ethernet from a pair of RTLSDRs

if I go through with this I will build a Box with a single-board computer, USB/PoE/battery powered power supply, dual LNAs, dual RTLSDR dongles, and a pair of jacks on the top for whip antennas (or one jack and LNA and a splitter)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the raspberry pi only has 100baseT tho

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my intent is that it still be portable. i guess I might as well use a USB hub or pair of cables instead of dealing with ethernets

longview posted:

integrated I/Q demodulator chip (linear), ADC (linear), FPGA, unless you want to to be easy

easy is good

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

spankmeister posted:

idgi becuase you say

and then you say you don't want to use ethernet?

i changed my mind because ethernet for a pair of dongles would be complicated + expensive

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

yesterday I walked up on a mountain and found an FAA site

Apparently it's a VORTAC (VHF Omnidirectional Range/Tactical Air Navigation System)transmitter. Those weird radio mushrooms are actually a phased array that rotates a radio beam around then 30 times a second. Older stations used to do it with a directional antenna that rotated mechanically, but that was dumb, so they don't anymore.

Combining that with an omnidirectional beacon at the center of the array, an airplane can calculate its bearing in relation to the VOR station:

The TACAN part is a military version of VOR that also has direction measuring equipment, functions in the UHF range, and is more accurate because it uses two frequencies in the rotating beam instead of one. Civil pilots have access to the distance measuring function, so combining VOR and TACAN stations into one installation lets you get an accurate position from one station.

more pics of the buildings attached to it:

what the hell kind of antenna is this?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 31, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

couldn't you just use a big pile of bandpass filters and some relays

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

radio secrets: this whip antenna which is $18 on amazon prime gets decent reception, and unscrews from the base it comes with and onto the one for the antenna included with SDR dongles, so you don't need to use an adapter

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

also what's up with CW on the county fire freq

station id probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

When this article says that the RTL-SDR, LNA, and upconverter should be shielded separately, does it mean having them in separate, electrically isolated enclosures, or just physically blocked off (so that the components are all physically isolated in sub-boxes or whatever) but electrically in the same box?

edit: this is cool as hell

Maritime Historical Radio Society posted:

Each year the Cornish Amateur Radio Club organizes International Marconi Day (IMD), an on-the-air event to celebrate the birthday of the Great Man, Guglielmo Marconi, born on 25th April 1874. The IMD event is not a contest: it is an opportunity for amateurs around the world to make point-to-point contact with historic Marconi sites using HF communications techniques similar to those used by Marconi, and to gain an attractive Award for achieving the requisite number of Marconi stations worked.

K6KPH, the amateur station of the Maritime Radio Historical Society, proudly participates in IMD as an Award Station since we transmit from the historic 1913 Marconi transmitting station in Bolinas, CA. But this year our participation will be different and special. This year both the transmit and receive sites will be at historic Marconi locations.

All the buildings of the original Marconi receive site in Marshall, CA remain intact. Many have been lovingly restored for use by the Marconi Conference Center including one of the two Marconi cottages used by the Station Manager and Chief Engineer.

Now comes Ms. Kathy Wippert, Marconi Conference Center manager, with a generous offer to let the MRHS set up our receive site in one of those Marconi cottages. We will install vintage receiving equipment and our house built remote control panels to allow us to key the transmitters in Bolinas. With both transmit and receive sites at historic Marconi locations we think we will be one of the most authentic Award Stations participating in IMD.

The public is invited to visit the receive site at the Marconi cottage. We will have exhibits set up and maybe even MRHS merchandise available for purchase. The location of the Marconi Conference Center is stunningly beautiful, worth a special drive in itself. Why not make a special day of it with a beautiful day on the coast and a visit to a historic radio site?

quote:

KSM will also be on the air, keyed at various times from the Bolinas transmitter site and from the Marshall receive site. Do you hold a commercial radiotelegraph license? Visit us to exercise the privileges of your license and have it endorsed for operation at KSM. We expect that SS RED OAK VICTORY/KYVM will be operational on MF so you might get the chance to work a ship on 500kc!

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 3, 2014

• Locked thread