Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What's the goto antenna upgrade for the 2m/70cm baofeng handsets? I can't pick up anything but the 162.4mhz noaa station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Thanks ordered a na-771 through amazon, should have it tomorrow. :dance:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

BANME.sh posted:

i was driving the other day and i realized how weird it is that vehicles still come with a giant antenna on them for FM radio, but you can get little bitty electronics with FM capabilities that work fine. for example my old zune had FM and no big honking antenna on it. why are the big ones still needed. range i guess?

I don't have the manual to my zune anymore, but I think it used the headphone cable as an antenna or something like that.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I bought a thing

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I watched some videos on soldering and took out that headphone jack the old owner had added. I thought I had electrical tape, but ended up using duck tape instead.

It's an 8 ohm speaker, and it reads 8.1 ohms at the connector now so it's probably close enough.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Do you already have a power supply? This is one of the cheapest legit ones I know of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2M2Y5O

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

PuTTY riot posted:

my random length of wire antenna thrown out the window and jammed into the rx rca jack isn't working so well. hmm.

Did you ground the radio?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Goddamn do you think they have enough questions in these loving test pools? I wanted to see each one at least once before starting on the next pool, but there are just so many in it.

Edit: also synirc's ssl cert is invalid so I can't rejoin the channel.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

PuTTY riot posted:

I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or if the built in meter isn't working but I wasn't able to get a good swr reading. maybe it's high enough that the radio just won't TX? idk. took everything down for now cause we got another band coming thru. RX is much better tho, a lot less noise than a wire running out the window.

oh, I was running on a probably not fully charged battery, it was like 13.2v when I started though iirc. I think I may just wait until field day and see if someone with a real meter can help me.

heard some naughty words on 14.313 lol

I don't know the minimum on your model, but on the 718 it says to transmit at least 30 watts to get a swr reading with the internal meter. Double check your antenna connections and try turning up the power a bit.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

FCC just emailed me around three this morning with my license and callsign. :toot:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Well poo poo. I got my coax in today and made an 8 foot monopole, but I can't find where it resonates. It's just a vertical section of cpvc with a wire running up it, and the wire is connected to the coax center conductor.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I went ahead and just trashed that cpvc antenna because that poo poo just isn't rigid enough, and the radials I tried tacking on were garbage. Maybe it should be a dipole made of copper pipe instead with a balun.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

PuTTY riot posted:

what freq is it for?

28-29.7MHz

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

If you've got any lights that turn on/off by touch those are supposedly really noisy.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You and your fuckin reasonably sized antennas :v:
I'm wishing I had gotten a vhf/uhf rig instead of hf.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

drat copper pipe is expensive. $17 for 10 feet to make the vertical, and I'm going to use the cheaper wire I have laying around to make radials.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got some help this time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEmEYSu-hP8

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got most of this poo poo put together now, but it's raining for the first time in a month right now so I cant bring it out to tune the length.

cylinder at the bottom left is a common-mode choke wound on pvc.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

monopole for 10 meters

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

So do I need to drive a stake into the ground for a monopole?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I dunno whats up with it then. I have it cut to 8"2', but the internal SWR meter is showing a 3:1 when I transmit on 10 meters.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

OK I found it. The female to female adapter I'm using to connect the coax to the antenna is a piece of poo poo that doesn't always connect the outer conductors. It was reading over a megohm of resistance from the outer conductor at the radio end to the ground at the antenna. It's fine now that I've fiddled with it until it made a good connection. Now the SWR is 1.25 at the bottom end of 10 meters and about 1.75 at the top of the band.

It's this piece of poo poo right here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2LY2VS

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

loving with cw settings and txing awful morse code to see if anyone else is even on this band. The 718 has an option to use the channel up/down keys on the mic to run the internal keyer. :v:

Edit: my SWR on 12 meters is right around 2:1 so I can kinda tx on there too.

brand engager fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 28, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Welcome to rf where everything is loving magic

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

nothing if i'm on the CB

most likely you would get no response if you called that on a ham band

again, remember, ham radio is not the internet and trolling on it is exceeeeeeedingly stupid because a: nobody will bite and b: if they track you down it is a five digit fine and they pull your license if you have one

Fined for what?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

longview posted:

this cute UHF antenna showed up in the mail

not hard to see why it's so broad band, the center conductor is massive

but the mounting bracket i ordered with it is all wrong, the hole in the bottom of the pipe section is barely large enough for a BNC, let alone the 20mm needed for an N connector.

gonna have to either wait for the mechanic at work to get back so i can ask what tools are appropriate (mill or cone drill) or the carbide hole saw set and conical drill set i ordered from china to get here

Nice chodetenna. What is it about thicker conductors that gives the antenna a wider bandwidth anyways?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

10 GHz is up in the waveguide part of the spectrum. Also that's getting up into the range where you have to start using special PCBs and poo poo with the sidnal traces in between ground layers, and no bare leads to components because your wavelengths are getting short enough that loving everything turns into a radiator.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

rip

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

This cheapo Astatic brand SWR meter is loving trash. Also I tuned the antenna down to 12 meter band, and got a <1.25 swr over the whole band since it's so narrow. Haven't made a single contact though since I got my license.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Goddamn nobody on 12 meters either. Do one of the legit brands make a 6m/2m/70cm rig? I could buy one of those or try to get down to 20 meters by stacking copper 17 feet high and hoping it doesn't fall over.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got my antenna tuned down to 20 meters. Some of these people on the CW only section are ridiculously fast.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I still can't get anyone to reply to me on CW. :smith:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Maybe I'm doing this poo poo wrong or something. I've been sending "CQ" a few times followed by my callsign and then waiting to see if anyone replies. The SWR is 1.5 and I even dug out my grundig receiver to verify that I'm actually radiating.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It's crazy how there's all that spectrum up here on 10 meters and nobody uses it.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

That reminded me that we were having the annual one here sometime this month.

Just checked and it was 3 days ago. gently caress :shepface:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Do any of you use the arrl antenna book? I'm looking for some kind of reference I can use besides googling poo poo.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got that antenna book in. It's full of neat stuff. :sun:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Incomplete Fish posted:

Radio thread I'd really appreciate some advice one which of these would be more effective for HF listening. My constraints are that it either has to be strictly vertical(no inverted v) or instead relatively hidden; in case my current ideas are exceptionally bad. I was previously recommended the "really long wire antenna" and now I'm looking for something more permanent.

Multiwire antenna stapled under eaves of a one story house ~12-15 ft. high according to this guys plans

or

50 ft. fiberglass mast combined with the EF-SWL(link goes to pdf) configured vertically , which i then proceed to ground the h*ck out of. This is acceptable because the back of the yard is forest and a big pole is invisible so perhaps there is another thing i can hang off the mast? What about a dipole hung vertically, like on its side?

As for how I ground a giant vertical antenna do I just bang like 3 or 4 8ft. grounding rods into the dirt at the base of the antenna and then wire it all together?

edit: big pole would be guyed.

The indoor antenna is probably better since it doesn't need to be weatherproofed.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'm thinking about writing my research paper for an english class on ham poo poo. How badly am I gonna regret this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

also I'm not gonna give myself brain cancer by fiddling with a 50mW 10GHz radio am i

Different kind of radiation. I think that's less power than a cell phone puts out so you should be fine even if you rub your balls on the antenna.

• Locked thread