Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

seems like the Technician license should include GMRS, but apparently it doesn't? p dum imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what do yall do about lightning with one of these things, or are they only up temporarily

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

did the technician + general yesterday, ended up being pretty straightforward. missed 1 question on the tech and 2 questions on the general.

for the tech i read the arrl book and used hamexam/hamstudy for practice. a couple nights before the test i was doing well enough on the tech questions that i started cramming for the general too, using a draft copy of the no nonsense guide that the author had apparently forgotten to take down? between the methods, i think the no-nonsense guide was very effective in terms of effort/outcome -- it only mentions the correct answers so when youre taking the test you can just select the options that sound vaguely familiar and theyll probably be right.

for the general id been worried about memorizing the exact bands but it turns out across G1A05-G1A09 you generally just need pick the 2nd highest answer lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

has anyone done any sdr stuff? thinking of getting something from this list to try messing around with

likely one of the low-mid three figgie ones like the HackRF One, FUNcube Dongle Pro+, Airspy, or SDRplay

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 7, 2015

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Incomplete Fish posted:

edit: if any of u nerds talk to jonny tell him his thread was p. much the reason I got my license and that he owns. tia

same

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

What do those things do for power?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

do mobile radios tend to fit in single-DIN slots or are they juuust too big (and/or too warm) to do that

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

something i worry about with setting up a real outdoor antenna is:

what do you do about lightning?

i mean im in a redwood grove in a valley but id still worry about that

e: and in an area that sees a lightning strike maybe once a year lol

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 23, 2016

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i was suuper close to ordering an airspy but then i saw this thing and now im not so sure

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

missing a shitload of booze imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

immediately after getting licensed, I switched mine to a 1x3 where the 3 are my initials

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sniep posted:

and here's one that i sent that jonny picked up - my first successful transmission in this mode

something fucky with the software oddly tho still

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the boomers around here would totes love at img, though the ones here are all old hippies and/or merry pranksters

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

whats the deal w/ 60 meters

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

found this thing today after just starting working on a similar thing, turns out someone in west slovenia has been running a network with this for several years

i wonder if the 'no trailing zeroes in callsigns' encoding is a problem though, i had gotten around this by having the values start at 1 instead of 0 (base 37)

its also unclear how they'd pack a new 7-character callsign into a 32-bit value, given log2(36^7) = 36.2

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i mean if youre looking to replace ax.25 that seems like one of the glaring flaws you'd want to fix right?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

imgur doesnt seem to require login for me...

do you get much interference from those power lines?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

who else has got their half dipoles ready for 2200m???

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

more like barfing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

this stuff can also be useful for closing up gaps/holes, eg at the ends of that pipe (e: though im not sure if it's necessarily weather proof)

also (if applicable) make sure you left a drip loop where wires enter the building

also also iirc electrical ground is ideally kept separate from antenna ground (it sounded like you put both on the same rods?) but idk im not an electrician

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 7, 2016

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Darkpenguin posted:

also, I realize that radios are a bit of an out dated technology, but does every ham site need to look like it was made in 1998?

maybe its because the equipment so often looks like it was made in 1958 (like its users L O L)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

do antennae need to also be resonant to receive or is that mainly just an issue when sending

background: tried connecting a smiley tri-band HT antenna to an airspy while indoors a few days ago, didn't see much beyond my own cellphone's LTE

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

so is it like there's effectively an SWR (or some representation of 'less efficient') that's facing in the opposite direction from the antenna towards the receiver?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is QST (the arrl mag) good/worth getting a membership for?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Lol I just noticed the cat photos section on universal-radio.com

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

shame about the encrypted traffic rule though, basically means you're stuck with websites that don't use https then?

And also an open network

Stuff could still be cryptographically signed though

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is it intentional that the w5yi header image looks like some white supremacist thing or is it just inadvertant:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i cant tell wtf that guy is saying

the first few seconds to me are: "and uh tnt and uh 14aa and uh blonde two a solid T and whiskey bravo four and two a yankie he must've been a clown 10 10 2012 jeffer delay"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll keep this open but i'm going into FCC hiding (thank god i did not update my address when we moved recently), cancelled my weekly net and all the radios are being boxed up for a while. A bunch of white supremacists here in Denver have my callsign and I fear for the future.

No reason to build a station to just hear more of the things that are about to surround us in every day life.

I'm sick.

My callsign is registered against a PO Box which is technically actually my current mailing address, so thats an idea

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tho in my case I prefer sending bits more than talking anyway

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that's pretty ham handed!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

What do you mean if??

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Has anyone said "nothin but net" yet?