Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

just noticed the thread title. grandpa's email address was his call sign @ aol.com :rip:

i wish I'd ended up with all of his cool radio stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Does the FCC ever reissue or transfer old call signs if you meet the same licensing requirements?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

knowing far less about radios than I should, I have a project that looks like it's targeting the 3cm band...

this should be interesting

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

microwave poo poo is insane and cool, 10ghz and up 'ham radio' is basically 95% high precision metal shop work and 5% absolute black loving magic
yeah I've got an experienced PhD helping me understand the basics, but god drat I feel like I'm way in over my head on this one

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

also watching youtube videos of dudes making their own microwave transceivers is neat

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ordered one of these yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSk2mY6ZwMw

gotta call for a quote on the antenna I picked out (after I get someone else to double check the choice)

oscillator arrives next Tuesday then I get to wire up the power sources for it :getin:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

also I'm not gonna give myself brain cancer by fiddling with a 50mW 10GHz radio am i

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

got my X-band VCO up and running, doing some power consumption testing so I can strap some batteries to it next. on wednesday I'll hook it up to a spectrum analyzer to make sure the output is what I expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGNaxBKaWAk

I'll be attaching this antenna to it eventually

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

neat.. what's it going to be?
part of my senior design project doing some X band attenuation stuffs

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

made a few quick-and-dirty monopoles for ~9.35 gHz to test some stuff in the lab. I'll see if they actually work this weekend, hopefully

wanted to try making discones but just don't have the time. I should be getting some that I purchased in the mail next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

lol

also that owns
made 4 because I had no drat idea what I'm doing, performance is actually decent on 2 of them

also when I bought the SMA connectors a couple days ago I learned that Pasternack is like 3 blocks from me and I desperately wanted to wander their warehouse

• Locked thread