Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

longview posted:

had some real good luck today, our main office was throwing out 80s HP equipment like crazy and I just happened to be there for a meeting/free lunch

scored a broken 32V/11A linear power supply, a HP 5335A univeral counter with two inputs but doesn't look like it has the high frequency prescaler (Also i blew the fuse immediately so i think it's set to 115V AC, gonna have to look in to that)

also three working HP 3456A digital multimeters! full RPN style maths supported, 4-wire resistance, RTD conversion, ratio measurements etc.

two are 60 hz models so i'll have to find the switch to set the power line integration to 1/50 hz, since otherwise they work fine on 230V

in the 6+1/2 digit mode one of them reports my 5V reference as 4.999'85V, and they seem to agree fairly well on this

fake e: already found out how to adjust the line voltage on the counter so just have to find a new fuse and i'm in business!

here's some pictures already:

they had a ton of old rear end flukes with nixie tube displays but no takers, too risky imo

e2: changed the line voltage on the counter and borrowed a fuse from one of the multimeters but still blew instantly, gonna have to pull some covers off tomorrow, and buy some more 6x32mm fuses

e3: hot drat, it's got the OCXO option!

even w/ your explanations I still barely know what i'm looking at but stacks of rackmount equipment gets me hard anyway soooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PuTTY riot posted:

does my waterproofing look ok jonny? I used temflex (I think this is the right stuff?) and then electrical tape over that to keep it from unwinding.

this stuff is real good for weatherpoofing http://www.westwayelectricsupply.com/2212-butyl-mastic-tape-for-wireless-market-2-1-2-x-24-w-label.html

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

this would be STUPID ham radio points hahahahhahaa

I've been on a fire ladder truck basket to do work and that is a drat steady platform

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

for the first time in history a yosposter has heard another yosposter via ham radio tonight

badass

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Ears have an impedance curve. it's neat

so i'm thinking of going to a Meetup for the prepper net guys. we had a good net last night, everybody talked about lightning protection and such. the main takeaways were that they're a: newer, or at least not-old-guard hams; they all have very modest stations save for a few well-set-up guys; and despite the fact that this is a 'prepper' meeting, have not heard ONE bit about politics, obama, NAFTA, NATO, FEMA, body bags of ANY type, controlled demolitions, false flags or birth certificates over about three hours of net. i'll be happy to hang out with some of these dudes + get antennas up

Also they run a 2.4 mesh network using http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/ and want nodes out in Aurora. One guy in town already reached out to me. Oh and this poo poo just happpppppppens to run on ubiquiti nanostations :D

that seems real cool

(also ubnt makes good-rear end equipment)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Kenwood fixed for $0. on a hunch i pulled the backup batteries (it has 4 nicads in there for memories) and they were evidently shorting the cpu to ground or smth because it works!

Nice!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/28/after-nepal-earthquake-people-turn-to-ham-radio/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what does GROL mean

it sounds cool

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

general radiotelephone operator's license. possessing one shows you are able to understand whats going on with maritime communications and that you are a moderate solderhead. the radar endorsement means you can poke on ship radars without the FCC screaming and that is worth money

good+cool, gl

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

here ill just do this

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/62242862

net starts at 2:19 and i swear to god that is unedited

i test my radio around 5:40, theres some laffs in between but go to 1:01:50 or so for my bit
i wind up net control by ranting about google drones

quoting because i want to check this out later

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Thanks! yeah i figured since i made some good noob mistakes that i'd lay everything out and hopefully it will help others.

------

a 6 meter story in 3 pics and an email:

this morning

Then an email

code:
Multi-hop sporadic-E opening on 6m.

For details please visit [url]http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Frec=50&Map=NA[/url]
And right now here's the e-skip MUF:

which brings us QSOs:

~magic band~

what am I looking at here?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ty for the explanation of those maps :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

https://pthree.org/2015/06/16/hardware-rng-through-an-rtl-sdr-dongle/

kinda interesting I guess??

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

you might need to just tell the UPS you changed the batteries, it might be on some sort of maintenance cycle timer, and just arbitrarily said "its been 4 years, time to replace!" or something

Yeah whenever you swap batts in an APC that is smaller than a symmetra give it the ol self test

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

http://www.tau.ac.il/~tromer/radioexp/index.html

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

having read through most of this thread, having passed the tech test on hamstudy with no studying at all (protip: if there's an answer that's longer and stodgier-sounding than the others, it's correct 80% of the time), and now having discovered that there's a walk-in testing session a mile from here when i'm on vacation in a few weeks, i've decided to try for the tech and the general.

granted i have no loving clue what I'd do with them, i've only ever bothered with a little mild shortwave fiddling, but how hard can it be.

i am nevertheless in awe of both the technical acumen displayed by some of the regulars here, and even more in awe of jonny's ability to live in a loving mobile radio station.

I don't radio at all but I lurk this thread because this poo poo is really cool

also mega agreed re: the last paragraph

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The extent of my radio knowledge comes from my middling experience as a WiFi guy and I know just enough to know that it's p :psyduck: that this stuff works at all

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

thats dope dude, for real. so much better than most ham hackjobs

--

i am super honored and glad that ppl enjoy this thread and are inspired by it. it is basically the only reason I stay on SA now and it is that important to me

we have hamchat on slack now but i will never abandon this and still love hearing about everybodys achievements and projects. many dudes have come a v long way itt

--

i am now in full-on CW mode and am shooting for one qso an evening. it is really challenging and fun and actually intense. you have to focus. this bencher is so loving bad already ughhhhhh. it is sloppy and just trash

:3:

CW is Morse code stuff? And qso is a contact with someone?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That stuff always seems so incomprehensible, but I guess you'd get an ear for it?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

you get an ear and brain for it. pretty much just immersion therapy. put the headphones on, listen. try to copy as much as you can.

before you know it you'll be picking out the sounds of words like "that" and "radio" and "antenna" and if you can predict those, it gives you a good second or two to write the word out and then wait for next.

for now my routine is:

go home, get on 20 meters, try to listen in for QRS (slow speed) guys. as the evening wears on, pop down to 40 meters where the old school straight key guys hang out around 7120 khz. They aren't picky with who they talk to and are pretty much just "try it out!" CW evangelists. Nail a QSO, talk to a dude. Then spend a little while just listening to guys chatting at a speed higher than I can copy. to end it out i have a big speed practice where I just get on the code practice oscillator, turn the speed up to about 25 words per minute, load up a couple of tickets in the Jira from work and use the ticket notes as my practice text.

cool as hell and sounds like a good training technique

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

the subtler joke is that you're supposed to practice with text that you've never looked at before :haw:

l

o

l

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SperginMcBadposter posted:

If you've got any lights that turn on/off by touch those are supposedly really noisy.

i had one of those gently caress up a physical analog phone line once

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SperginMcBadposter posted:

drat copper pipe is expensive. $17 for 10 feet to make the vertical, and I'm going to use the cheaper wire I have laying around to make radials.

spergin lay teh pipe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bye jonny :smith:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo the ISS is loud

with my vert on the roof and preamp on, i'm getting APRS packets at about S5 or so (145.825 +/- dopp)

time to hook a computer back up and ping a space station

I don't know what this means but it seems cool+good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yeah if lightning wants to gently caress u up it will, but you should try your best

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Storysmith posted:

or at least public domain/pictures you own the copyright of? the hobby is so goody-two-shoes about not transmitting even incidental music, not sharing programming software for Motorola radios you actually own, but copyright infringement with creepy pinup images? a-ok for some reason

one of the regulars itt can correct me, but music will get the fcc up your rear end in a goddamn hurry

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

and here's one that i sent that jonny picked up - my first successful transmission in this mode

something fucky with the software oddly tho still

this owns

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it's so interesting how that works, doesn't at all look like what most people think of when you say 'antenna'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

electronics and circuits are really cool but i don't really understand how anything happens

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Nice! posted:

pfm my friend.

I don't know what this means

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Nice! posted:

pure loving magic.

oh lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That thing seems super loving cool and I barely know what it's for

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm still :eyepop: at 12 million line csv

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

can I be the enormous Johnson

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

yep, 14313, 7200 and 3840 are the toilets. Bonus 28.425 when KC4TVZ is voice-keyering CQ

his quote to me "you're not dx enough"

I don't know what that means but it's prbably dumb and also racist

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wow, not what I expected but oddly still correct somehow

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spankmeister posted:

Jonny got his gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spankmeister posted:

I went to this place the other day: http://www.cryptomuseum.com and it was really awesome. They had a bunch of crypto machines like enigma ofc and a very rare russian Fialka.

But the radio stuff was also v. cool and interesting like spy radios and stuff.

One of the things the guide mentioned was that the nazis allowed hams to keep operating in Germany during war time, provided that theyade a full report each day on the propagation conditions of each band. They could then use this information to communicate more effectively.

I feel like this is timely information

• Locked thread