Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
finished writing the canadian ham license (basic+honours) on sunday :toot:

is it worth getting a portable QRP kit (hardware, non-sdr)? they seem awfully tempting with respect to price and flexibility

if not what is the best way to get involved in hf without dropping down a grand for some overpriced thing i do not need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
after checking out some nets i am sad to say that oh my god all ham stereotypes are true

looks like i somehow vastly overpaid my credit card bill so i can afford a yaesu ft-817 :haw:

another stupid idiot question: what are some good recommendations for a good portable hf antennas? i do a lot of hiking and dont want to lug around some huge dumb nerd stick

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
my old-rear end apartment has a shitload of interference that has prevented me from using my end fed antenna. we are talking s9 noise across all hf bands. because i am an idiot and have no idea how to do things is there something i should be trying or is there even a better kind of antenna for my living situation?

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

PuTTY riot posted:

is the antenna outside or inside? how high up?

there is a tree that allows me to hang it pretty much straight horizontally from a window around 12 feet in the air or so

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
i have been tempted to buy one of those chinese quad-band mobiles that go for $170

stick it in my piece of poo poo truck and just drive everywhere pissing everyone off with the 50W amount of channel spillover they are doomed to produce

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
on the bright side: 50W on 6M and 10M :haw:

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

PuTTY riot posted:

fm only tho huh

gently caress that

nevermind then

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
new personal best: 1874 miles with JT65 only running 5W of power :toot:

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
one of my relatives gave me moneys strictly for the intention of buying an amateur radio (i also inherited an old tube tester and a box full of canadian and american made NOS tubes heck yes)

all i have are qrp transceivers so i was thinking of picking up a base station

help me choose something for $1500 CAD gooooooooo

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
thanks for all the suggestions and they are all things i am actively looking into :toot:

that being said there is a local ham selling a pristine condition ic746 for cheap and i am kind of tempted to jump on iiiiit

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
ahahahahahaha

the ham radio deluxe software suite has been under attack in the past two days. long story short, the software was phoning home to check and verify if the callsign is valid and/or blacklisted. if the check returned blacklisted, you would be prevented from using the software (unless you changed your callsign, whoops)

if you posted a bad review on eham, welp, turns out you were probably blacklisted by an apparently easily exploitable and bypassable telnet check

and welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
oh and this got found out all because the owners of hrd decided to blackmail a user during a support ticket (that was documented) into removing his bad review before they would remove him from the blacklist

• Locked thread