Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

and surprise! cut to the nearest inch and installed within 1m of design height, it resonates at 6.2 mhz instead of 7.2

loll

also it has a perfect 1:1 at 30 meters, is a little high on 20 (expected), 15 wont tune at all, 10 was OK till i cut a foot off and now its trashed

Antennas!

I have a Jetstream fan dipole kit strung up, but haven't put it to the final height, or slapped the analyzer on it yet.

The spacers that came with it are maybe 5" long at most, and I'm wondering if I should just replace them with some longer pieces of CPVC for separation, before I even try to get the thing tuned up. I haven't dealt with tuning a fan dipole yet, so I'm expecting to take it down about 500 times before getting it anywhere close to tuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

In other news I got my KX3 back from repair today (a couple of the knobs were a bit unresponsive)

Slapped on my sideKX's on and was farting around with the power meter I picked up in the meantime:

I'm also beyond hyped to get outside and get this guy put up:

Need a mast tho

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

oh man that ammeter is hella cheaper than the one i got.. i got fleeced

The one powerwerx sells is ridiculously overpriced.. $50 or something.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

those radios are so gd pretty. i'm not a cw dude tho so an elecraft would be wasted on me
i love the filter lcd thingy

It's making me want to learn CW tbh. Although I did squeak out some nice DX last summer, working Hungary with 5W on SSB.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Well this is promising...

Aw hell no. Got a little work to do on this thing. It's way too high for 20, 18 is almost non-existent, 15 has a dip, but nowhere near useful, and 10m is way too short, too.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

incidentally, the moment of torque of a filled liter water bottle on the end of a 24 foot pole as you try to lift it overhead and drop it between a fork in a tree limb is pretty impressive

I had the same idea, but I had a leftover fishing reel, and used an extra antenna insulator! Worked like a charm.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

we have storms rolling through and the new crop of skywarn spotters have the roger beeps enabled on their pooofuuungs

the quality of these skywarn nets gets worse and worse each year

QSL QSL QSL 73 73 73

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I spent a few days this winter building a homebrew buddipole. I finally got a chance to get it on a mast and an analyzer this weekend, and it was a complete disaster.

The thing was not resonant on HF, so I borrowed a guy's analyzer that went up to 300mhz or so. The stupid thing was resonant on 119MHz, even with the telescoping whips all the way out, so I think there was a short somewhere.

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!

I had a backup end-fed vertical that I put up in a tree, but HF was awful on Saturday as well.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

2m is wide open up here in MN/WI/IA today... I just keyed up a repeater 170mi away.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo you aren't kiddin

http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

bookmark it for all your VHF band opening needs

Yeah, that map pretty much confirms the direction I was able to hit the repeater. Saint Paul, MN to Tomahawk, WI.

Edit:

It would be cool if the APRS site could overlay frontal boundaries:

manero fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 28, 2015

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

yeah for real

post ur HT layout:

you guise I really love my F6A. I've had it for years and I've replaced the case on it etc. When I was a kid I wanted a TH-78a and that thing was a brick.

with tri-band antenna everybody's got:

I've also got a shorty for when I don't need the range or don't want to get poked in the side wearing it on my belt

swoon

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

yeah i hear a lot of people swear by those kenwood F6 HTs... know a bunch of people who have 'em

i cant say i've ever touched the 220 band tho before, is there any activity there?

we have a couple repeaters here in the Minneapolis area but not a ton of activity.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

If you're up early enough 20 is open to Australia

manero
Jan 30, 2006

are all Benchers terrible or just the one you got? I want to finish learning CW (started when I got licensed back in 7th grade, but never finished). Benchers seem like the paddle that everybody has.. tempted to pick one up.

manero fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 16, 2015

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

xpost from hobby thread

step 1 to setting up an APRS WX beacon - the WX sensor

step 1 is complete

step 2 would be the TNC, and I got that.

step 3 is the radio and antenna, and im getting the radio and i have the antenna i just need to put it up, cable it, then...

step 4- some programming glue in the middle to set the beacons to the TNC and push them out!

what weather station is this?

I want to replace the junk I've got now since the receiver unit crashes when my raspberry pi is reading data at the same time it's getting data from the sensors.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

middlin tier acurite pro setup

e: specifically this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011VG6XTI

Awesome. How are you going to get the data off it?

My receivers are plugged into a raspberry pi and I use weewx to upload to CWOP, Weather Underground, and APRS-IS, but the displays have been super janky. This might be within my price range!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

^^ such an ill setup, i love it

Updates: Have installed a 100 foot ladder-line doublet, 125feet to the feed. Playing nicely. Even tunes on 75! Keeping ladder line taut but a foot from any metal is a pain in the rear end when you're surrounded by chain link and live in an all-metal building

Will ladderline work OK if just run along the ground? I've got a similar length run, around my house, through a buried PVC conduit, to the only spot I can string up wire in my yard. I could also probably not run it through PVC if that helps.

I keep wanting to get an ATU and just feed a 40m or 80m doublet with ladderline instead of dinking around with this fan dipole.

• Locked thread