Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
can i ask dumb newbie questions about OTA tv antennas and reception itt?

i'm thinking about putting an antenna in my attic, but the thing is, i have a metal (tin i think) ceiling in the room below the area where the antenna would go*. will this interfere with the antenna and thus make this effort moot? i don't want to go to the trouble of running a cable, buying and mounting the antenna, etc if it's not going to work

crazy follow up question - could i use the ceiling as an antenna? :science:

* to simplify a bit, pretend the transmitter i'm mostly going for is north, the antenna in the attic would be facing that and the tin ceiling would be south of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
to clarify, this is a metal ceiling, not a metal roof. it's for ~*~*aesthetics*~*~

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

it will act as a sort of ground plane. as long as your OTA antenna is a few feet above it, you'll be fine. Just dont set it six inches off the thing and expect great operation

ok cool thanks

fwiw i'm reading up on using a metal roof as an antenna because lol if it could be done that easily, apparently it can work for am radio but obviously not the best idea b/c of lightning.

anyhow thinking about it more, tv antennas are directional so no surprise a big flat piece of metal won't work :downs:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i barely know what's going on in this thread but :allears: anyway

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

do you just have to take a test to get a ham radio license. basically i'm thinking of not actually messing with radios but getting a ham license and telling my wife that only licensed radio operators get to tune the car radio

i loled

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
dad jokes best jokes

also i challenge anyone that says you can't make dad jokes if you're not a dad, you just have less people to torture with them

e: nuff said, i don't want to derail this awesome thread

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

how did you connect it, did you run coax?

i already have a coax run through my house so i'm just using that for now. two cable joins and a pre-amp, possibly more because i don't know what's in the wall. i also have some coax i will use if i do set it up outside which would leave me with one join and the pre-amps.

so right now it's:
- antenna
- coax (6' or so)
- pre-amp
- joiner (i.e. wall plate)
- more coax (40' or so)
- joiner
- even more coax (20' or so)
- tv

i've also been trying it with the pre-amp between the coax and the tv and that works but not quite as well

i'm using the same setup to test inside and outside. i think my eavetroughs are interfering outside, but when i go further from the house it gets even worse, maybe due to neighbouring buildings

e: this is all rg6 coax

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 1, 2015

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i have no idea what's going on in this thread but did anyone read my antenna post? i just put it in the basement and aim it at a wall that i assume everything is reflecting off of and i get most of the channels i want.

also my paperclip fm radio antenna is still going strong.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
radio waves are neat i can see why y'all sperg out about them :shobon:

it's funny and cool that i aimed a directional antenna at like a 120 degree angle away from the broadcast source and reception improved substantially

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i saw a bunch of those cards on the wall when i visited the ham radio station @ the diefenbunker (VE3CWM)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
that's cool atomicthumbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006