Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think in the selection round he mentioned being in the US in his teens.

I figured the ‘never had pasta’ thing was ‘never had those kinds of pasta before’. I have family that has never had any kind of pasta outside of spaghetti or elbow macaroni so I can believe it.

In the next episode he makes a home-made pasta: I call triple-bullshit. :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think that was on purpose to show that he went back to the dorm and studied and practiced. I thought it was pretty ballsy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They still got a tutorial of how to do it and both Bowen and Shanika hosed up. I'm guessing the episode where Shanika leaves is where the producers though they should pass the heel card to Bowen

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is it possible that the language barrier was to blame for the pasta thing, that Bowen really meant that he had never tried to make pasta before? And Joe just misunderstood him and Bowen never fully understood why Joe was so offended and so he didn't clarify what he meant?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

They still got a tutorial of how to do it and both Bowen and Shanika hosed up. I'm guessing the episode where Shanika leaves is where the producers though they should pass the heel card to Bowen
Bowen hosed up on finishing/saucing the pasta and I think the texture of the cook. The tutorial we saw only went up through making the shapes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Is it possible that the language barrier was to blame for the pasta thing, that Bowen really meant that he had never tried to make pasta before? And Joe just misunderstood him and Bowen never fully understood why Joe was so offended and so he didn't clarify what he meant?

Given that Bowen has been here for a while and is considered fluent enough, not just for a University, but also for TV means that he probably does know the difference. The particular shapes is a possible thing, but even then, I'd think that as someone who's interested in cooking, he'd know how to make pasta. China has their own noodles which are made similarly and I'd be gobsmacked if he didn't at least know, in theory, how to prepare those.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Given that Bowen has been here for a while and is considered fluent enough, not just for a University, but also for TV means that he probably does know the difference. The particular shapes is a possible thing, but even then, I'd think that as someone who's interested in cooking, he'd know how to make pasta. China has their own noodles which are made similarly and I'd be gobsmacked if he didn't at least know, in theory, how to prepare those.

It would have been like a double misunderstanding though. Bowen says "I've never tried pasta before", but what he really means is that he's never tried making pasta before. That's something even a fluent speaker could do, not understanding that subtle difference that could lead to misunderstanding. Joe takes this to mean the latter, and gets offended because who wouldn't want to try pasta at least once? Bowen gets flustered and it doesn't click in his head that Joe got the wrong message from what he said, so he doesn't clarify it.

Throw in the fact that apparently Joe only considers a dish to be "pasta" if it's cooked directly in the sauce, and there's a lot of confusion there that may have caused that whole thing.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 31, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm 100% sure he's had and probably made Chinese noodles, but the ingredients, dough texture, process, finished texture, saucing/finishing are all different. That's what impresses me about cooking for a totally different cultural palate -- there are analogues, but what seems right to you isn't right to them and vice versa.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I can't loving stand Bowen and it's total garbage that Shanika ended up getting the boot after carrying everybody during the team challenge :colbert:

I mean ... I don't know how you screw up pasta that badly (it's dry dough, just add wet stuff), but still.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bowen looked like a child caught standing next to a broken vase lying about not breaking it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

wormil posted:

Bowen looked like a child caught standing next to a broken vase lying about not breaking it.

I said before, he always looks like he’s on the verge or crying or making GBS threads himself.

And based on this pasta debate, we’ve probably played right into what the editors wanted to happen!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LadyPictureShow posted:

I said before, he always looks like he’s on the verge or crying or making GBS threads himself.

And based on this pasta debate, we’ve probably played right into what the editors wanted to happen!

Yeah, that just felt super-forced. I totally get that there is no reality and that the personalities we see are constructs of the editing room, but damnit!

I'm pulling for Gerron now. It looks like everyone else is, too. I noticed ALL of the contestants seemed happy he got spared. I'm guessing everybody likes him, he's very personable on the show, but no one sees him as a threat. So everyone wants to be the one to beat him in the finale...

He may get to the top 3 if he can stay under the radar and lets the big contenders duke it out. I would love for a Kentucky chef to win after that teacher got robbed last year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm pulling for Gerron now. It looks like everyone else is, too. I noticed ALL of the contestants seemed happy he got spared. I'm guessing everybody likes him, he's very personable on the show, but no one sees him as a threat. So everyone wants to be the one to beat him in the finale...

Gerron is also Bastianich's last contestant so I don't think there's any way he gets eliminated. MasterChef is as gimmicked as Hell's Kitchen, they just play up the tears so much more, and so they're going to have him go all the way so the final three are all representing one chef each.

I just caught up on the last two episodes tonight, and to hell with Shanika, I'm glad she's gone. I could have sworn we had an :ohsnap: emoticon but I guess not, but her better-than-thou attitude was grating, she was like Sabrina on Hell's Kitchen like five or six years ago.

Julia getting booted was a surprise; I'm genuinely shocked she botched that challenge so horribly. I mean, that was basically chicken and veggies that any Midwestern Mom would serve. (Especially since she didn't pound the chicken.)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Timby posted:

Gerron is also Bastianich's last contestant so I don't think there's any way he gets eliminated. MasterChef is as gimmicked as Hell's Kitchen, they just play up the tears so much more, and so they're going to have him go all the way so the final three are all representing one chef each.

I just caught up on the last two episodes tonight, and to hell with Shanika, I'm glad she's gone. I could have sworn we had an :ohsnap: emoticon but I guess not, but her better-than-thou attitude was grating, she was like Sabrina on Hell's Kitchen like five or six years ago.

Julia getting booted was a surprise; I'm genuinely shocked she botched that challenge so horribly. I mean, that was basically chicken and veggies that any Midwestern Mom would serve. (Especially since she didn't pound the chicken.)

You're looking for :fry:.

:hai:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wouldn't be surprised if they did the Masterchef Jr thing and have this season's finale be three contestants

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Davros1 posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if they did the Masterchef Jr thing and have this season's finale be three contestants

Didn't they do that last season, or the season before? The one I was just talking about : where NotElon Musk beat the teacher from Kentucky who deserved to win.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Honestly, this is the first grown ups season I've watched in a long time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You're looking for :fry:.

:hai:
Nah he's thinking :nyd: which doesn't get much play anymore which is just fine

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Anne Whateley posted:

Nah he's thinking :nyd: which doesn't get much play anymore which is just fine

No You Didn't gets lots of play. Check my post history. :crossarms:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Davros1 posted:

Last season had a three person finale IIRC.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Last two seasons have had three person finales and it was obvious since the concept of this season got revealed that the finale coincidentally would have one contestant from each judge. I've had Bowen pegged as Gordon's finalist since, like, the start.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Welp, so much for one contestant from each judge making it to the finale.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

LadyPictureShow posted:

Welp, so much for one contestant from each judge making it to the finale.

Lol, read this before I watched the ep. D'oh!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mario death mask posted:

Lol, read this before I watched the ep. D'oh!

I turned the episode off right after they said the contestant’s name, so imagine my surprise finding out that there was a twist.

I’m such a dumb-dumb.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I held out hope to the last second that they would actually eliminate him. Just like how I always hoped that they would eliminate two (or more) contestants an episode, as promised.

I still want them to do one Hell's Kitchen where he eliminates everyone in the first episode.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bowen's pork chop looked well done, not just color which can't be trusted, but it looked firm when cut.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
There isn't anyone left in the competition who I thought would even reach the top 4 based on what we'd seen from each of them previously. The impression I got from their edits was that they were way in over their heads, which doesn't make sense from a narrative standpoint of someone who knows what they're doing being the winner. I get that it's supposed to be a "progression" from good to great but... weren't these supposed to already be the best amateur cooks in America? I can see why Ramsay would lose his poo poo over the difference in quality of home cooks on MC:US vs MC:AU.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Caesar is the only one left who knows what he's doing

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
The entire last hour was a waste since it was clearly telegraphed who the last finalist would be.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'm just starting to watch episode 20 & 21 but I really don't give a poo poo about anyone left. Fuckem all. They feel out of place to me, or something like that

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Caesar is the only one left who knows what he's doing

With all the focus they gave Bowen and how they framed some of his cooking decisions, I almost wonder if he only got so far because he can season and cook well when given a bit of latitude, but the more specific the dishes he had to cook, the worse he did.

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

The fake drama on this show gets on my nerves more and more. The background music, the editing, the words that are obviously put in the contestants mouths, the judges who say the same poo poo every time. Ugh. I used to like when the show was about food! Australia's better right? How can a US based person watch that?

I'm not surprised at this top 3. My bet is for Cesar or Ashley to win, I don't think it will be Gerron.

Tinydryad fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 20, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
/r/masterchefau on Reddit had a couple people who uploaded all of the episodes this year to Dailymotion or whatever so there's that. Those links should be fairly easy to find, and they all list the episodes so if you find the last thread for the finale you're set. Otherwise, youtube and Google and :filez: unless you get a vpn that the tenplay website doesn't recognize.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Turned on the tv last night just in time to see the winner announced so I deleted the episode off the dvr, no reason to watch it. Probably will delete the timer too. This is the first season I've watched since the the blind woman won by cooking rice.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:tviv:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

I am very surprised and happy about that finale.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hate the rear end in a top hat italian.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

I know right?

I expected each judge to get a person in the final 3 for the narrative of it all but I thought the actual winner was going to be fodder.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

wormil posted:

Turned on the tv last night just in time to see the winner announced so I deleted the episode off the dvr, no reason to watch it. Probably will delete the timer too. This is the first season I've watched since the the blind woman won by cooking having her assistant cook rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
did people hate that blind woman so much