Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
From reading this tread, I decided to check out Masterchef Australia. I'm liking it so much better than the US version. Everyone is so much more upbeat and cheery both judges and contestants (so far) and I like 90% of the contestants compared to 0 on the US version this season.

I'm only on Episode 11 but I'm really liking Emily the most even though she doesn't get much screen time, whenever I see her she just makes me smile. Which since I like her the best it means she will probably only last a few more episodes (Don't tell me though, I'm hoping for a nice surprise!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
On masterchef AU: It might be the alcoholic in me (probably is) but everytime they started pairing lemon with gin I kept shouting at the screen "LIME PAIRS BETTER WITH GIN!" and for the people who didn't know what to do with it - "JUST MAKE A MARTINI OR A GIN AND TONIC!" - Honestly I think I just wanted a gin and tonic for myself.

bigE posted:

The mentor gimmick on MasterChef US this season is purely to add to the finale, so each judge will have a contestant, right?

They don't discuss it as a reason to pick contestants for teams or to be safe, or bother to put it on the chyron for each cook during interviews. It's a complete non-factor at this point, other than mentioning who has how many cooks left.
I don't really get it either - I don't see any of them "mentoring" them at all. It could be possible they give mentoring off screen but if it's all off screen, then what's the point?

Edit: jin changed to gin.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 2, 2018

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

I have and it’s real good. I have a feeling the contestants are acting dumber than they are but the main baking part would be hard even for real bakers.

My husband and I were talking to each other the other night that those cakes would be hard for real bakers to, in the given amount of time. But I absolutely love the Nicole Nags button!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

wormil posted:

24 Hours of Hell or whatever it's called featured a dog friendly restaurant and it was what you imagine but surprisingly without puddles or dog poo poo, they must have edited that out. I love my dog and take her lots of places but I don't want to eat at a dog friendly restaurant, that's disgusting.

I could have sworn I saw a close up of a dog turd in the kitchen. It could have been some other kind of nasty crud but it sure looked like a dog turd. Unfortunatly since I watched OTA it's not recorded for me to go back and check.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Although one thing I didn't get why he was upset about was cooking dog and human food on the same burners. Since the dog food was all human food to start with, who cares? I mean they're not buying cans of Alpo, they're buying normal chicken breasts from Sysco or whatever.

Some things people can eat are toxic to dogs - for example onion and garlic.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 29, 2018

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
The Roku Channel has Seasons 1-15 of Hells Kitchen and all of Kitchen Nightmares (at least I think - it was 6 seasons correct?). I don't mind the adds especially since the older episodes are so hard to find (at least for me). - I finally got to watch the first season - and man is it so much different - it also seems to be uncensored - which is a pro and a con - It's fun to hear but I don't know if it's funnier to hear the beeps.

They are also on their webisite therokuchannel.com - but the navigation is just the same on the Roku (horrid - no search, just a roku style menu.) - but they are under the TV section. You shouldn't need to use an account but honestly - I haven't really tried since I'd rather just watch them on my tv. On to season 2 binging later tonight.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 10, 2018

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I love both versions of show I like the "drama" of the US version and I like how AU is actually about cooking and the people are always nice but drat how many episodes come out is a giant pro and con. I love it because there's not many prime time shows that I like this time of year but I hate it when I forget about it for a week and have to play catch up.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Did I hear it correctly that Noah called "sifting", "shifting"?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I figured as much but I am kinda I guess the word is "tone deaf". So I mishear things people say all the time and just interpret what I think they said. But it figures my hearing is correct this time. I was thinking he was calling Subha, "Subaru" as a friendly joke of sorts since I they all probably are staying in the same house/hotel. But now I am just thinking he is an ignorant douche.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
It's so sad watching Masterchef Australia and not getting to see them all hug and high 5 each other like they want to - but at least it's still airing. I also don't get all the hate against Poh. I adore her. I understand she gets a lot of air time but maybe she is just the most interesting and most frazzled of them all?

When it first started I didn't know it was all returning people and I saw Tessa and thought "Uggghh a bunch more blonde women that I can't tell apart, just like last season." - Glad to see I was wrong because I have been able to tell everyone apart this season.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Poh's back ? Cool ! Having a season of returnees is probably a good idea while breaking in a new set of judges after ten years.

I'm pretty sure MC Australia takes as many weeks to shoot as it does to air, with as many hours as they air a week shooting at a faster-than-air pace would be murder.

It was episode 20-something or 30 recently when they initiated the distancing rules. And yes Poh is back. And I like the new judges, still miss the old and George's sweaty head but they are great imho.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 27, 2020

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thanks for the notification, a lot of my shows start this month and hits hard to keep track when is what.

I'm not gonna have much to watch for the rest of the year after a couple months.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Shneak posted:

I haven't seen Paula Deen since her controversy so gently caress Masterchef for giving her a platform. Also who decided to make auditions—the worst part of the season—3 episodes long?

I came here to ask if auditions were always 3 episodes. It feels like it's been 5 years since the last MC. So again like the first two episodes I just turned it off.

And gently caress Paula Dean.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Stanky stank food doesn't sound very appetizing.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I went to a pizza place the other week. I will only stay at a place that has outdoor seating but I could see the TV and the were playing Kitchen Nightmares and I burst out laughing because that is the worst thing for them to have on the TV.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Oh cool thanks, however Hulu is supposed to move things to the top in the "My Stuff" section, if it even does it anymore seems to be broken. But over all it's my favorite streaming service. I hope there is another $1-$2 deal for Black Friday again this year. overwise I'll give Paramount, HBO Max (or whatever it's called now), or Disney a shot for a while.

I also think Disney has a + deal with Hulu included, but if ESPN is forced in the package we may have to skip that as neither of us like sports. I'll have to look into it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
OMG I pretty much hate everyone on Food Stars - they all seem like assholes. but I have been enjoying Masterchef because everyone (the contestants) seems so friendly and jovial towards each other (gently caress Joe though - he is always mean).