Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
KN will either take over for Thursdays when HK is over or Fridays when the doomed Rake runs out of episodes. The latter seems more likely since it'll be sooner (perhaps 8 weeks if they air all 13 episodes produced which is shorter than an HK season, right?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Hell's Kitchen Contest 2014
:ramsay: - 0
"IT'S RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAWW" - 45
"BIG BOY!/STUPID COW!" - 2
"C'MERE!" - 45
"SHUT! IT! DOOOOWWWWWN!!!!" - 12
"GET OUT!!" - 23
General rear end-Kissing - 5
General Douchebaggery - 120
Food Smashed or Thrown - 15
Emotional Breakdown - 20
:jp: - 8
Misleading Preview Moments - 15

(Tiebreaker) Winner = Bev

eta tiebreaker

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 12, 2014

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Did we ever get a final game count on this ep?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Propaganda Machine posted:

That said, I got a bottle of fish sauce once to make pad thai, and I can't bring myself to play with it. Smells like garbage water.

:getin: I got oyster sauce to make broccoli beef and I've used it in a bunch of different recipes because of the umami factor.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
So with Twee permabanned is the game just done with?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
My favorite moment from last night's two-parter:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Alterian posted:

Masterchef really needs a drunken 2am snack cooking challenge where they only get things to cook with that you would find in a cabinet and fridge in a house that hasn't gone grocery shopping in over a week.

I once made an oily lovely chicken and mushroom risotto under these exact conditions.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Ghostpilot posted:

HAHAHAHA, the choir singing "Wolfgang Puuuuuuck!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NvP3V7u5Y

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
That was a much better episode than Amy's. I'd even say this holds its own against the best of UK KN.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Also, apparently I am crazy because I didn't find her daughter to be sympathetic in the least. That evaporated the moment she turned on Kevin, who seemed to be one of the only employees who actually cared.

We're both nuts then because in my eyes she did nothing but shitstir and blow smoke up her mother's rear end. Her boundless negativity would have her fired on this show were she not the owner's daughter. Also, there are approximately zero people who have dated meth addicts who weren't at least users themselves.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Also sometimes the food is finished by baking it in the dish in a salamander or oven. Most dishware doesn't contain any moisture for a microwave to heat.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Chicago pizza is a sort of cheese and tomato soup, though?

Oh no you didn't just go there.

It's an Italian quiche. Get your poo poo-talk correct, son. :colbert:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I guess MasterChef S4 starts in a few hours?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Leslie is an insufferable douche. Don't get me wrong, I don't like anybody this season but Malibu Sterling is a chief offender.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

CommanderApaul posted:

This was the worst shitshow of a performance I've ever seen them have on this show, and I know the previews are misleading, but I seriously thing Ramsay is going to say 'gently caress you all, noone gets a black jacket, now do this poo poo over again."

Definitely the ep needs to be in the clip show of the best worst episodes of HK. This season is a lovely joke and last night proved it. I also think they're going to have the three least-worst do a new dish and no one's safe going into service.

Hell's Kitchen S12: "I'm struggling to give this a 1."

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

raditts posted:

Joy/Rochelle finale I guess?

I think you're wildly overestimating Rochelle's chances. Melanie has a strong redemption arc set up for these last 4 eps imo. That said, Scott having whole minutes of face time with Andi has me thinking he could have a similar edit going.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
What really struck me is that there were still 15 contestants going into last night, because I'd be hard-pressed to name and give a brief description of 10 of them. The editing this season has been piss-poor and scattershot at best. And yes, we had seen exactly zero screentime of Christine before tonight.

Calling a winner at this point is absurd because any given episode half of the cooks will go entire episodes without saying a word or having focus brought to their food. Once it gets down to a number the production team can capably handle (I would guess ~9-10) then things will make more sense. Up to this point though, this season is a complete mess.

Also Cutter didn't go home because Malibu Ken redeemed himself and they need a new villain to replace him. Cutter's perfect for the role since he takes exactly zero ownership for his failings.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

benisntfunny posted:

Sounds like you think this show is an actual competition based on skill.

No, I saw the season when Luca won. I know better.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mordiceius posted:

I think you meant to say Jessie.

Correct. "Oh hey we have someone who's a cakewalk to market, has a ton of experience as a private chef and has consistently put out amazing dishes. We'd better send her home in third for some bullshit while giving her an open invitation to work at any of our restaurants." :psyduck:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Hand of the King posted:

In Hell's Kitchen, when Chef Ramsay tells one of the contestants to "gently caress off", does that always mean the person is completely out of the competition like Gabriel was?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Doesn't Gordon Ramsay tell everyone to gently caress off? I figure that's just his way of saying goodbye.

"GET. OUT!!" generally indicates they're eliminated by the end of the episode. "gently caress off" really is just a period on the end of a conversation for him.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Like... it was sort of believable? I guess? Like Joy minus Kayshia removed her center and she lost her poo poo over Ramsay being as condescending as he always is?

Whatever, congrats to the inevitable finale of Melanie and Scott since no one else is in the way anymore. Like I think we're supposed to be behind Rochelle since she sprung back from a major mutilation but she hasn't proved her worth at all otherwise, and Jason's a proven total fuckboob/inevitable medical liability/sexist fuckwit.

Davros1 posted:

And next week's VIP/secret service thing teased in the trailer is going to be their families, right?

Obviously, yeah.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 11, 2014

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I always hated these things on this show, this isn't Hell's Kitchen. Like who gives a poo poo if Leslie is a bad line cook or Willie doesn't know how to expedite.

Speaking as an irl line cook/expediter, I give a poo poo. Working the line means knowing how to do a specific set of things for a long shift and do them consistently well, which Leslie poo poo the bed on hard. Eggs are easy as gently caress and dude couldn't put two fried egg plates in a row that looked a.) the same or b.) good, e.g. not drenched in olive oil which has no place in diner-style egg preparations.

Now Willie, I get. If you've never expedited before you have no idea how much you're in control of and how specific you have to be and how discerning you must be. To be suddenly tasked with telling a hard working person "not good enough!" is overwhelming if you're a sweet dude like Willie clearly is. Daniel was up to the task, but Willie made the right choice taking Leslie off his station. I'd have told him to go home instead of putting him in charge of burning bread. His attitude is dogshit and has no place on a line, and it speaks to his inability to lead (you know, like everything else we've seen from him all season.)

Yes, it's a bullshit reality TV show, but if you can't cook you shouldn't be called a chef. The producers of the show know this. If you fail at the 101 you have no business telling anyone else what to do.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Rudager posted:

I still don't understand how any of these skills are required to write a cookbook?

Fair point, honestly.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Zero Star posted:

Oh hey, Bev and Chris are coming back for the HK final. That means that two people from the top 12 don't show up. My money's on Joy and Gabriel.

Joy obviously won't be there. Gabriel's destructively incompetent so he'll show up for sure.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Davros1 posted:

I'm going to miss Elise. Sure she shouldn't have been there and was over her head, but at least she was cute.

I firmly believe this was a stealth medical problem elimination. Leslie's playing nicely with others and they need a punching bag. Who better than Cutter, the dumbest motherfucker?

I mean, I come from a hunting-friendly area and I don't think I've seen venison for sale except for this one out-of-the-way shack, and maybe a farmer's market or two.

Venison jerky is amazing and you need to put some in your mouth asap. Legit. Well-made venison jerky anyway.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

That is really loving sad. Sorta puts a big downer bow on that haphazardly edited ep.

Was anyone else perturbed by how few rooms they were able to make available post-reno? That place was enormous and they somehow ended up with only 12 rooms? I mean sure it's a 200% increase but still :psyduck:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Brocktoon posted:

My wife also hates Courtney, her stripper heels and her horrible lipstick. She's constantly yelling at the screen.

Throw my name is this hat. It's extra hilarious because she's such a consistent performer and the producers keep giving her so much shine.

Agreed with Leslie having one if the weirdest edits ever. After last night I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he won the season.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

g0lbez posted:

The competitors in Masterchef are given recipes before most challenges, I'm sure that helps.

Also cooking classes for said recipes. Otherwise if you take any Joey Fartpants off the street like Cutter (remember his ~artisan~ pizza?) and tell them to make you dim sum, odds are they won't even know what that is. A recipe won't tell them what they need to know either. Don't get me wrong, he still hosed it up; but without that level of instruction MC would be even more amateur hour.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is it worth watching season 1 and 2?

If you enjoyed seasons 3 and 4, absolutely yes. I've watched all four live and I remember 1 and 2 being much more enjoyable.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Whoa wait when did all this bullshit with X-Factor happen?

XFUSA had imploding ratings since its debut and last season got so low that Cowell jumped ship and they cancelled it. It's just as well; the show was never good and got worse every year as its budget plummeted and talent pool thinned.

Speaking of which, new HK this Wednesday huh :getin:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

I really need to pick the brain of the geniuses who collaborated to make this happen. Wardrobe, location, portraiture, it's all just every possible shade of wrong.

Mad Dragon posted:

Salt from goon tears. :laugh:

To be fair literally zero women who have watched this show are going to want to buy her cookbook. Forget the other contestants hating her, the problem they'll have is America hating her.

With that said, by the end of these two hours I never wanted to hear her talk ever again.
Every response to praise: "THAANkyou :smug:"
Every response to criticism: "okay. :geno:"

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
La Tasha's doing the "quietly competent" thing that Joy did last season, but seeing the way that turned out who even knows.

But yeah Team Sterling, Go Hundred or Go Home

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

minimalist posted:

So has Red Band Society been cancelled yet?

Not yet, but it will be. They dropped the hammer on Mulaney and Utopia, RBS can't be far behind.

In fun actual thread related news Masterchef Jr starts tomorrow :dance:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

JoshGuitar posted:

I can't be the only one who giggled like an idiot at Sade thinking she was actually supposed to cook dog food :lol:.

I kind of expected her to get the boot after Sterling (TEAM STERLING!!) and Frank were safe for that exact reason. But yeah funniest moment of the season by far.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Zero One posted:

Whichever producer gave Samuel a brief case to file his drawing deserves a raise. Biggest laugh of the night for me.

I'm pretty sure that was his own briefcase. He seems like that kind of kid. Y'know, the kind that act prematurely middle-aged? That's Samuel, and that's his briefcase.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Slightly Toasted posted:

It's masterchef, they're all plants.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Ramsay Megathread: "Your death had meaning."

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

OmegaBR posted:

We're certainly at that point where the boring, if not capable contestants are left. That's pretty much black jackets at this point.

If the finale isn't Jen vs Tasha I will be very surprised. Of course I always say some variation on this every season and am nearly always wrong so go Ro vs Bryant

Rest in Hundred, Sterling. You had the most graceful, beautiful exit in this show's history and are the head chef of my heart.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
None of what worked about MCJr S1 is working this season. Like at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
They needed to make a 2-hour block of two better episodes. That or I'm glad they got them out of the way. This season is rapidly petering out, especially with Bryant no longer being a sneering cartoon villain. Though with Roe gone it'll maybe be interesting to see who Jen hates next since the last month or so like every talking head she did was about her vendetta against Roe.

Tasteful Bulge posted:

We barely got to know the kids, the challenges didn't give room for anyone to shine and the eliminations were arbitrary.
Nailed it. This is everything that is wrong with S2. Every ep feels like it's maybe 20 minutes long but unlike breezy, easy to watch shows I'm mostly wondering if I missed something that explains why the two kids went home. The only contestants with distinct personalities are Samuel (who for a little kid is way too much of an unlikeable shithead) and like 3 of the kids who already went home (Anna, Oona, and the kid with the really good hair).