Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I had no idea that the finale was happening until I was watching it. Fox is such a dumpster fire this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Tasteful Bulge posted:

When the next seasons of Masterchef, MCJr, and Hell's Kitchen perform poorly ratings-wise, the networks are going to think that people just don't want to watch the shows themselves, rather than that people don't want to watch these shows the way they present them. I bet they're more than willing to just cancel the shows rather than take responsibility and fixing them.

Well given that the seasons are in the can like years in advance and cost next-to-nothing to make and aren't experiencing the same ratings attrition as everything else on network, that seems really unlikely.

Tasteful Bulge posted:

You know something's wrong when The Taste is a more entertaining show than Masterchef Jr. Though I do love watching Nigella keep loving over her own team by assigning them such simplistic dishes and then acting surprised when it's the least favorite dish time after time. Three seasons in a row. She's so predictable. Marcus, Ludo and Anthony are directing them to make complicated, sophisticated dishes, and Nigella has her team making peanut butter and jelly.

Has The Taste gotten better? The first few eps of the first season were loving dire and I gave up despite Nigella and Bourdain being involved.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Zero One posted:

MC Jr 2015 looks much better so far.

I already like all of these kids better than the last bunch. The format very much reads like they know they hosed up both MC seasons something fierce last go-round.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I'm rooting for cute little afro kid. I didn't catch his name though.

Same, they didn't get a talking head the whole ep unless I missed it.

Mordiceius posted:

Was the last season of hell's kitchen even worth watching? Was it memorable at all? It was the first season I've skipped in a few years.

I'll remember Sterling and the winner, ol' whats-their-name.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
This season is just so great. It's like night and day from the one that finished last month or whatever. All it does is remind me of how good S1 was and make me wonder just what the hell went so wrong with S2.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Grin and Tonic posted:

Been wondering this for years now. Might make me actually give a poo poo about Top Chef again (though this current season has been good).

I think it's safe to say that his likeness and Fox TV have a very tight relationship. (and yes it has)

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

J-Spot posted:

Oh lord, another Hell's Kitchen starts after this round of Masterchef Junior. I don't know if I can endure it.

Ever since this season of MCJr took a turn for the uninteresting a few weeks back I've actually been looking forward to a new HK. I'm completely uninvested in this finale.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Anne Whateley posted:

Ughhh how does that guy not have to wear a beard cover?

He does. It's just still that long even in the chin net.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I'm very surprised they only cut one contestant on a night where neither team made it out of apps. Also hilarious that an abandoned hot pan is an unforgivable offense (it actually is) but a piece of chokable plastic on a diner's plate gets a pass. It's because that means it made it past Ramsay and Scott

e: VVV Scallops, actually VVV

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 19, 2015

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

raditts posted:

When did this show start tiptoeing into Fear Factor territory anyway?

They've done a variation on the milkshake/gross food thing every season that I can remember. Same with the "losing team's omitted dish gets the best scores after the fact" bit.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't it the contestant who seemed like a forerunner to win, but all of a sudden was like "Nope, I quit."

That person made black jackets and walked out on the top 4 if I'm not mistaken. That also may have been two seasons ago.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Gonz posted:

I'm a bit saddened that we don't get to witness the Joe Bastianich loving Hates You™ hour anymore.

Same, the Christina Tosi Genuinely Likes You™ hour is way less compelling. I miss that bitter, withering glare letting me know that something is mediocre at worst.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
This final 2 on HK has felt inevitable for a long, long time. P sure that's the only time the top 3 have all been former Red Teamers.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Asiina posted:

I was surprised by T over Michelle given their recent performance.

Meghan has been inevitable since Episode 1 though.

I agree mostly because I predicted Michelle as the winner based on the goofy opening sequence (and nothing else), but T also had the only flawless performance at the pass so she was a lock for the finale.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

surf rock posted:

Amusement Park Chef Adam

gently caress, that's who he was. Legit 100% forgot about him.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I can't believe they only sent one person home. They could have sent at least 4 by my count.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I'm just glad that MC AU is having a good season for the goons watching it.

MC US this year is just... bland.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

saltylopez posted:

It annoys me when they spoil the results of the group challenge by revealing people who are participating in the pressure test.

I've stopped watching the "NEXT TIME, ON" and "THIS TIME, ON" stuff for this reason. Not that there have yet been any surprises to speak of this season.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

flashy_mcflash posted:

Charlie's cake was actually the most appropriate birthday cake for this sloppy mess of a show.

Honestly yeah. You have the one dick who only comes off as a villain if you've ever worked BOH and know that domineering fuckheads like that are the worst, and if you haven't then you might mistake him for someone strong. Otherwise it's a mish-mash of also-rans.

Loved that Leslie was one of the VIPs.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's better than the Barefoot Contessa, and people watch that poo poo every day.

Basically everything is though. Watching her is like watching your crazy aunt, except instead of casual racism you hear garbage kitchen techniques.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
With all the reaction shots and talking heads of Derrick I thought for sure he would be involved in any way with the top 3/bottom 2 but nope! Didn't even show his pressure test dish being judged at all. Do the producers think the rest of the contestants are that uninteresting or something? It's like they pick 6 people to tell the story of the episode whether they play an actual role or not.

pentyne posted:

I could see Tommy as the wildcard because he has an extremely strong personality but nothing he's done has really knocked it out of the park.
Until the most recent ep, you mean?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Segmentation Fault posted:

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of that little sting they use in all their shows? That "nyyeeeerrrr" they use when something disgusting happens or whatever.

EDIT: Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFtLvkqHIds

Also found this loving amazing supercut of a bunch of times it shows up in Kitchen Nightmares and I can't stop laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQJHYFK3LTQ

They use it extensively on Iron Chef America too. That second vid is amazing.

Power of Pecota posted:

Courtney winning over Elizabeth kinda killed the show for me, especially when Ramsay was gushing all over how perfectly immaculately-dressed her basic-rear end salad with pig ear on it was as they showed reaction shots of her little brother.

It really did tarnish the show forever. Them the next season stank on ice and this one's not a lot better but it's still better. I like Christina alright but I miss Joe.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

pentyne posted:

The only "don't use this cutting board for this" excuse I've ever said okay to was a roommate who despised onions and other alliums and insisted we use the plastic board for onions, then soak it in hot water for hours and scrub it furiously, and everything else on the wooden one which could then be cleaned quickly with a soapy sponge after a quick rinse.

That is simultaneously the most absurd and relatable thing I've ever heard.

To be clear I use multiple alliums in nearly every recipe but if you were cursed to not like them (which is a hell I'd rather not contemplate) I could totally understand not wanting even a stray piece to touch any of your foods.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 14, 2015

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mad Dragon posted:

I hope Derrick wins, so he can buy some shirts with sleeves.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Derrick owns, as does Steven. Can't stand Katrina for whatever reason, can't put my finger on why. Tommy's exit was some all-time greatness. :3:

on the other hand, gently caress Derrick

i know i'm being worked and i don't give a poo poo because i've cooked with guys like him and they're loving toxic and deserve nothing good

i guess what i'm saying is if he makes it to the finale he better lose :shobon:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
The best part was not even teasing the outcome in the slightest, just "You did two well, you did two well, and you did zero well so deuces Hetal"

I thought this was a ridiculously hard pressure test and am honestly impressed that only one of them really poo poo the bed hard. Though for some reason I'm getting the sense that Hat Guy is a dark horse for the finale. He's also the only chill person in the top 5.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

flashy_mcflash posted:

How good could any blue cheese dip be to compete at this stage of the game?
I think it was less about how good his was and more about how badly the bottom two hosed up. Not that it mattered, since everyone but Claudia was in The Dreaded Pressure Test and 2nd/3rd place had zero value. I think the most damning thing was that they edited out Christina's judging of the pretzel bites (seriously lol) since she probably had anything to say besides "mmmm mustard plus bleu yummo"

Shneak posted:

I completely forgot Courtney won last season. I thought it was the woman who was actually Luca's runner-up.
It's a very forgettable season, and seems to be what decreased this thread's activity by about half.

Shneak posted:

I thought it was the woman who was actually Luca's runner-up.
Though I still think S5 would have been saved if after Courtney won a gong sounded and Natasha, shrouded by fog and in backlit silhouette challenged Courtney to go another 3 rounds with her. Not that the producers would have let Courtney lose or anything; Natasha just deserved better than losing to Luca's accent/appeal and literally nothing else.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Luca was middling as a contestant but was still my favourite. It's like the sun comes out whenever he shows up. There were a few plants that season, though, I think they realised the pitfalls of making it too much of an actual competition when there's already a preconceived narrative- that's why they turned him down for Season 3 and saved him for the winner of 4 (that, and/or to work on his English).

My problem was more that Natasha loving crushed the finale. Luca's a great presence and a sweet dude but Natasha straight up clowned him all 3 rounds.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

DurosKlav posted:

I still think Jessie should have been the winner that season.

Oh, absolutely. They needed a villain to go up against Luca and Jessie was anything but.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

ApplesandOranges posted:

This season has possibly the worst editing team I've ever seen on a reality show.

you haven't seen that many reality shows then and good for you

Claudia/Derrick for the finale, Claudia goes over imo

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Enderzero posted:

Really? You think Claudia 'Salmon Skin Side Down' Mexican-Dishes is gonna win it? I like her just fine, but (though screwing up proportions is a big deal in baking) I assumed Nick would lose so they wouldn't have an all-male top 3. I could see her in the finale though.

All Derricks Must Lose. nothing else matters. I wouldn't be shocked to see Stephen in the finale either but he's been super-under the radar for weeks now which says to me that he's going home in 3rd.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Asiina posted:

Hi, I had that surgery, it saved my life, go gently caress yourself.

Seriously, why are you pressing the reply button next to this post? Where has your life gone so wrong that you've found yourself even contemplating that?

Think of your fellow posters!

I should be on your ignore list already.

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Guy Fieri a "rockstar chef"?

Really the only criteria are that you're a really good cook and could be mistaken for a member of a rock band. So no.

:smug:

Seriously though Derrick's high concepts aside Claudia won all three rounds with abplomb. And telling someone with a POV to think outside their POV is exactly backwards with regard to success in the business of food. A cookbook produced from a TV show that covered everything under the sun wouldn't sell nearly as well as a focused one that did interesting things with classic dishes of a specific cuisine. That's exactly why Claudia won: she had the better food. This isn't Top Chef, these are home cooks. On Food Network shows and TC you have the judges questioning what the contestants' culinary POV is. Derrick's POV is "sacrificing taste and/or texture at the altar of trendy techniques" which isn't a POV at all. Claudia's? "Elevated Mexican". A straightforward, appealing brand.

This was a very good finale to an otherwise very bad season. I never would have expected this top 3/4 (except Derrick) but this was enough to keep me on for next season.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

OhYeah posted:

What a load of bollocks. What makes you say that Derrick "sacrificed taste for trendy techniques"? Derrick had the flavour AND the flashy presentation. Plus a very distinct and likeable personality.

Venison and huckleberry. Venison and huckleberry. And I've always been upfront about my thinking that he's an absolute tool. Putting everything in musician's terms is just the fart cherry on the poo poo sundae of his personality.

OhYeah posted:

In conclusion: gently caress this show.

I don't disagree tbh

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

minimalist posted:

Pairing game meats with berries or fruits is less a "trend" and more "something humans have done for a long-rear end time, probably ever since we started hunting game and gathering berries." And done right (which isn't hard) it's great.

Seriously, if that's a "trend" then everything is.

I didn't mean the pairing of meat and fruit was trendy, I meant it was a lazy pairing of trendy ingredients. Which it is.

I feel like I should reiterate that I thought this was not a good season at all, but the finale made absolute sense to me.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Christina's really good though. If Andi has to be replaced I'm happy with Christina in Ramsay Mode.

Thanks to this thread (or one of the previous ones) for recommending The F Word. It's so loving good I can barely stand it.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Is anyone even watching MC Jr this season? I am more or less by default and it's super boring.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Harold Stassen posted:

The "next time on Hell's Kitchen" for this episode promised us a whole bunch of poo poo that we didn't see. What bullshit!

Clearly you're new here

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Addison winning wasn't telegraphed, it was written in gigantic neon letters that said ":siren: THIS ONE RIGHT HERE THIS IS YOUR WINNER DEAL WITH IT :siren:" every time she was on screen. I was rooting against her if only to be surprised by, and therefore interested in, this season at all. I feel like we barely knew any of the other contestants.

At least this HK season is trainwreck-entertaining so far.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Chromatic posted:

How good is Hotel Hell compared to Kitchen Nightmares(us version)? I've been binge watching Kitchen Nightmares and I like it for what it is(cheap tv that Gordon makes entertaining) but I don't want to waste my time on HH if it sucks or anything.

Edit: I just cut the cord and got Hulu/Netflix so if I get the green light from this thread on his other shows then I've got the next few weeks of TV planned out.

You can watch the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes and save yourself 20 minutes an episode. But it's good fun. If you've got Hulu watch The F Word first because it's the best Ramsay show besides maybe Gordon's Great Escape and I don't even know where to find that anymore.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Enderzero posted:

This might be the weakest pack of contenders I've seen on this show. Usually there's two or three competent people who are obvious by midseason but I'm not impressed by anyone at this point.

It seems like everyone's had at least one major fuckup unless they haven't had enough screentime to show anything good or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Hijinks Ensue posted:

So thanks to watching a lot of Hell's Kitchen, I tried making risotto. A very basic one, with some parmesan added at the end. I have no idea if it would have met Ramsay's standards, but we sure liked it. It also wasn't nearly as difficult as I would have thought; you just have to pay attention to it.

Next time do it while doing 5-10 other things and also make 30 of them in a row starting at different times. That's why risottos get hosed up on the reg on HK especially when there are fewer cooks later in the season. I'm assuming they start with parcooked rice (which as you know would massively speed up the execution) but even so it's a super easy dish to gently caress up, especially on a line. But if you have the time and the patience a risotto is one of the best things you can do for yourself at home that doesn't involve weed or loving. (My favorite has wild mushrooms with marsala)

e:fb; drat Whateley