Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

I feel like it can't get any worse than last year...

Every year is uniquely terrible. I never expect this show to be good, but I do expect it to be entertaining and on that front it never fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I watch all Ramsay shows except Kitchen Nightmares. I don't need to see the grossness and the turn arounds always seem so fake. I only saw ABC because it was everywhere and impossible to miss.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
:ramsay: - 2
"IT'S RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAWW" - 40
"BIG BOY!/STUPID COW!" - 14
"C'MERE!" - 50
"SHUT! IT! DOOOOWWWWWN!!!!" - 10
"GET OUT!!" - 50
General rear end-Kissing - 10
General Douchebaggery - 60
Food Smashed or Thrown - 15
Emotional Breakdown - 30
:jp: - 2
Misleading Preview Moments - how many episodes are there? 23

(Tiebreaker) Winner = The guy from the preview who wants to eat the goat.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The years without Krissi were downright pleasant. There were some friendly rivalries, but generally everyone got along great.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's a cultural thing? In a lot of places in the world, like India, eating with your hands is basically the only way people eat. Utensils aren't usually used when you can get away with eating with your hands.

I doubt this is true in 5-star kitchens, and certainly is something he should know working in North America, but maybe he just kept doing it and nobody ever called him on it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

13stitches posted:

Yes, he did and he was angry as he seldomly was before. There is the usual chewing out of contestants (fluid risotto), there are the worse ones (failing to repeat a ticket) and cardinal sins ending up in a close encounter of the angry Scottish kind - like when someone's using a food thermometer.

Which is stupid because they're all wearing food thermometers on their jackets.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Zero Star posted:

From start to airing, you mean? Forgive me, but I'm in the UK and am unfamiliar with how American TV works.

The entire season is filmed before even the first episode airs. There's a new episode once a week, but the actual time during episodes is only 2-3 days at the most. So even near the end of the season the contestants have only been gone from their families for maybe 2 weeks, but because when it airs it's actually been months since the first episode, they play it up like they've been gone for SO LONG!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think people just freak out and don't know what to do when something goes wrong. Like their chicken is undercooked, they can see it's undercooked, but the beef has gone to the pass and Ramsey is yelling for the chicken, where is it, why is it not here now?! So they panic and bring it up when they know drat well that it's not going to make it.

Of course also some of them are idiots who never actually taste the food they're making and it tastes awful.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Well yes, logically. But I honestly believe in the moment some of them believe that's not an option.

That guy has gone up, you have to go up now too no matter what state your food is in.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
A weird request, but does anyone have the link to the Top Chef thread? The forums are acting all wonky again and I can't access anything but my bookmarked threads.

I just started watching and I have so many things I want to say about this goddamn show and I figure this is probably the best thread to ask.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Beef Hardcheese posted:

The most recent thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572066 but it's been dead since February (the end of the most recent season).

That's a shame. I just started watching season 1 since I figured going through the backlog would be good summer watching, but I immediately hate a lot of these people and was hoping there'd be an active thread where I could talk about back seasons.

Thanks though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

In all fairness, season 1 of Top Chef has a talent level closer to Hell's Kitchen, so it's kinda thread appropriate :v:

I envy you! I think you'll find that the series has a consistent upward momentum through season 6. After that it becomes very up and down (like, All Stars is predictably excellent, where the Texas season is horrible).

If you posted your reactions in here, I'm sure people would mind a break from talking about IT'S RAW :ramsay:

Well maybe I'll make one post when I finish up a season, so it's not too obnoxious.

Also since my opinions change throughout the season. There are people I disliked who I think may be alright now. However the prevailing opinion on a lot of these contestants is that the challenges they are doing or the people they're cooking for are beneath them and I hate that attitude so drat much.

Stephen, for example, is so goddamn awful and I hate his stupid smug face.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Alright so I just finished Season 1 of Top Chef so a summary post of what I thought. It was definitely a cookie cutter reality show. There were a lot of "characters" on the show: the inexperienced student, the talented but eventually outpaced mom, the clowny guy, the stuck up douchebag, the ice queen, the insane dude who goes home first, etc etc. This is still true today on these kinds of shows, but I find these really pronounced stereotypes aren't there. You can't tell immediately who fits what character and if they'll stay that way the entire time.

I also noticed that, maybe again because it's early for these kinds of shows, that the whole thing felt really casual and more honest than a lot of shows now. Both the contestants and the editing. They showed a lot of random candid moments and sort of nonsense discussions that didn't have anything to do with the storyline of the episode. They also showed a lot of drinking both on the job and off, which you don't see in other cooking shows. Everyone seems to know that drinking and drugs are part of this profession, but it's never even mentioned nevermind showing the two sous chefs for the finalist showing up still drunk from the night before and drinking through her final service. But then also the contestants really just said the complete honest truth all the time to the judges and to each other. When they messed up they didn't try to play it off like they meant to do that or that the thing they're missing was never part of the dish at all, they say "hi here is my dish and here is what's wrong with it" which is so weird to me that I don't get it at all. Yes they'll be able to tell if something isn't cooked well, but I'm sure if you didn't go out of your way to point out flaws they might not miss it. Just present what you did, not what you planned to do.

So thoughts on the actual contestants, I hated Stephen the entire time he was on the show. I hated him the most. He was so smug and arrogant, he was absolutely useless in every team challenge, and he really put presentation over everything. As someone who doesn't drink wine I thoguht about how he'd probably fall over and die at the thought of someone having a meal without wine. That said, I actually was really surprised at his self-awareness during the pre-finale reunion show (which I'll return to in a moment). It's rare that you have someone completely realize what a tool they're being and actually go out of their way to both apologize for it and do better. He didn't blame it on the edit at all, so I actually really liked him by the end of the show because he was a completely different person.

For the three finalists, which I guess I'll spoiler even though it's old, because people in the Ramsay's thread shouldn't be spoiled on completely unrelated shows

Dave was an emotional mess and I have no idea how he made it to the end. He always looked like he was on the verge of tears and would just twitch all the time. He just freaks out at the slightest provocation into either crying or yelling. There's no sense of proportion with him and how do you work with someone like that in a normal environment I have no idea. They praised him for having the strength to show emotion, but dude, you're an adult, reel it in.

Harold I suppose deserved it on talent but he was just such a non-entity. He wasn't really part of anything. If something went wrong he'd go "yeah, I messed up my bad" and if the judges directly asked his opinion he'd say the obvious thing they'd want to hear, but he just seemed so laid back compared to everyone else it was really weird. Every time the judges tasted his food or he'd be at the judges table he'd be sitting back, arms folded, just so casual about it all. Like, it became obvious he was going to win if only because he was so aloof?

Tiffani, man, I don't even know. I could never quite put my finger on her. She thought that cooking for children and weddings was beneath her because they have no sense of fine dining, but then she had no problem at all with microwave cooking and thought corndogs were awesome. Sometimes she really was stuck up and bitchy and sometimes she seemed really low key. It was so weird and I didn't hate her nearly as much as everyone else did.

Which brings to the weird as hell pre-finale reunion show where they brought in Ken, the goddamn lunatic who kept making comments trying to start fights and then everyone hated on Tiffani for reasons I couldn't really figure out. Like, maybe she was stuck up or cold, but every single person just went off on her like she was purposefully cruel and evil. It seemed way out of proportion for how she acted, since yeah she was the ice queen but it didn't seem so infuriating to the point where multiple people are screaming at her while she's in tears. It was really difficult to actually watch this. Maybe it's because I was expecting usual reunion show afair where people are all "yeah we fought a lot but it was a stressful situation and we've worked it out. We're not best friends but we are professional" and everyone is smiling. Maybe it's because it was all still happening, but there was almost none of that except for Stephen and Candice, and it all came from Stephen seeing how much of a tool he was. Everyone else seemed to be right in the moment still and hyper aggressive to each other and it felt like the judges and production had absolutely no control over that entire thing.

Anyway those are my thoughts on season 1, moving on to season 2.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The idea that Gordon would choose to get rid of someone because they want a family is insane. Gordon brings his drat family on TV all the time.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Okay so here is my post about Top Chef season 2. It won't be nearly as long as the last post because all I really want to say is gently caress all of these people.

Holy poo poo.

What a huge group of assholes.

I had heard from a couple of people that this was "The Marcel season" so I thought Marcel would be some uber-douchebag like Stephen was, but as I was watching episode after episode I just wasn't seeing it. Everyone hated him, but I just couldn't see why at all. He seemed like this awkward kid who was a chemistry nerd and didn't really know how to hang out with the cool kids. His roof hater-rap that he wrote just solidified that.

Eventually I realized it was called that because of how they treated Marcel. They basically hazed him and for no real reason. It was like Top Chef: stereotypical high school edition.

You could just feel how much the judges hated Elia at the end, but they really should have hated Ilan and to some extent Sam just as much.

As for Cliff, I loved the shocked look on his face when he was asked to leave. Yeah rear end in a top hat, you loving assaulted a guy. You came into his room in the middle of the night, threw him to the floor and held him down while he struggled and screamed for help. The whole thing felt very convenient with the "handheld camcorder" they happened to have, which I'm not sure if that was just a terrible coincidence, or it really was the camera crew but they didn't want to get them in trouble for not intervening like it's some sort of documentary. I don't know what would have happened if they didn't have it all on film. In any case though, they should have just given Marcel the win just for that.

Finale spoiler:
The fact that he didn't win really pissed me off. I feel like this terrible season could have been redeemed if they had him win just to stick it to everyone else who was a bully to him. But really it was pretty obvious when they were talking about how the winner is just more matured and further along in his career that it was going to be Ilan.

I mean, I guess I can say it's a good thing I watched it so if any of these assholes other than Marcel come back I know to hate them immediately, but onto the Season 3.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

He's one of the lucky ones who hit it huge and made 3 Michelin stars in his 30s, making him able to do whatever the gently caress he wants.

I mean, there's no way he sees his family for more the 1/3 of the year. Half the time he's in American he's swamped with the TV shows and overseeing his US restaurants. His kids are probably in top tier boarding schools, his wife has her own minor celebrity career, and Ramsay hasn't been caught in any major infidelity so things are probably pretty good in his family.

For most people wanting to make a go at a serious restaurant career starting a family is not a good idea.

Her saying "I want to have a family someday" doesn't mean "I will quit this Hell's Kitchen job if it means I can land me a husband" and I think it's ridiculous to think that. Lots of people can have careers now and still want families down the road.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

subroc posted:

I think some stories came out that Marcel was being a unrelenting, tremendous arrogant dick, but nothing he did deserves the treatment he got. I remember Sam being kinda mild-mannered, but near the end even he had had enough and blew up at him at a store. Marcel ended up getting glassed by some random chick at a bar a few years later.

I tend to remember seasons by the some of the main contestants. Season 1 was the Harold season, 2 was the Marcel season, Season 3 is the Hung season. It's a good one.

I think he was definitely hard to work with, but I definitely took it more as someone who is socially awkward rather than intentionally an rear end in a top hat. Like so many times he'd say something sorta joking and look to his fellow contestants and they'd all be rolling their eyes and cut to their confessionals where they're all OH MY GOD I WANT TO PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE I HATE HIM SO MUCH!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Alright so Top Chef season 3.

Took me longer to get through this since I was away. Also it was kinda boring.

The only even remotely memorable person was Hung whose defining characteristic was that he was really fast. They tried to paint Howie as some sort of bulldog bully guy, but really he just seemed sorta abrasive and not overly a pain in the rear end. I do wonder if they're ever going to break their trend of casting exactly one (1) black man per season.

It wasn't a bad season, but really very little happened in a good or bad way, they all just kinda cooked for a while and then there was a winner. The addition of a live finale was annoying and I had to skip through parts of it for lack of caring, but everything else was the same.

Here's hoping season 4 is a little more interesting.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It looks like they broke the streak by having no black men, so I guess so much for that.

From the first episode I like Stephanie, but I don't know if she's stick around cause she's a nervous wreck. She's adorable though.

Alright I guess I'll see you at the end of the season!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Beef Hardcheese posted:

The same reason that in another season there was a preview that played up that one of the women was pregnant, when it turned out she was just a few days late on her period.

That actually happened though. It was short but they did devote airtime to it. Unless I missed a part, the whole romance seemed completely made up by editing for the preview.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Elise definitely feels like a sap. And really if you are presenting your signature style of food that should be judged more harshly than someone who has never made it before. If that's the best you can do at your best, it's only going to be downhill from there.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So since the forums were down I want to take this moment to talk about Masterchef and how I don't hate Leslie as much as I probably should for what happened on Monday's episode.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Lyesh posted:

On the other hand, she's a literal high school student and he's the oldest contestant on the show. You'd think he'd be more mature than her.

Not on this show, of course, but still!

I know this is how I should feel, but honestly her getting all huffy when he mispronounces her name and then when he apologizes again screaming "YOU'RE NOT REALLY SORRY!" is just so childish that I find it hard to blame someone for losing his patience with her. Especially when everyone then coddles her because she cries.

Yes he should be the mature adult in the situation, but she really shouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's absolutely going to be Joy/Rochelle. Joy will probably win.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Twee as gently caress posted:

I don't know, I do think the Top 3 will be Joy/Mel/Rochelle but I think Rochelle is gonna collapse under the pressure and completely gently caress up. No way she manages to go through the whole commanding from the Pass without crumbling down either.

Counterpoint

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Paul is such a ham. You're on TV again for another 20 minutes, time to make a complete rear end of yourself.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't get their love affair with Courtney at all.

Like yeah she wins a challenge, but there's no reason for them to refer to her and ask her stuff throughout the episode. She didn't even cook this episode.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Big Willie will win, but I think he'll make it far. I'd like him to win cause he seems like a good cook and a good guy, but I doubt it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Even with all that, that seemed to come out of nowhere.

She had punishment but it's not like she was having a particularly hard time.

It wasn't even a big problem either, just don't bring the drat pan up until the garnish is up. That's it.

This was "I ain't no bitch" levels of insane.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Honestly it was Graham's response that was the most surprising to me. You expect it from Joe but Graham getting visibly annoyed that Cutter was speaking to over him repeatedly really showed how tense the situation actually was.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

That was what was getting to me. They kept saying that Cutter was interrupting them when he wasn't. Joe or whoever would complete a sentence, Cutter would start to respond, and then he'd get yelled at for "interrupting" them. And that was with the strange, abrupt editing of that sequence.

From my perspective it was:

"This is too sweet."

"Well, what exactly is too sweet so I don't do it again?"

"Oh, you think you know better than me?"

"No, I was-"

"How dare you interrupt him!"

Cut away to other contestant: "He was completely disrespectful."

It's similarly manufactured, but it's manufactured in a way that's pretty much all positive which at least gives the show a happier tone. I've watched a few other countries' Masterchef shows and Australia is the only one that I'd actually recommend to people; the other ones are much closer to the US in tone.

Watch it again. Graham tries several times to talk and Cutter speaks right over him half way through his sentence. He also does it with Joe, but him and Graham are talking at the same time multiple times when Graham started speaking first.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

subroc posted:

Nice to see Michael Voltaggio. That's one more Top Chef alumni cameo for HK.

I was more excited about this than anything else in the episode.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Except if you know you aren't going to be able to sustain your restaurant months in advance you can give people some notice instead of letting them know at the end of their shifts that they are fired.

Also you can stop taking private party and event reservations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Nobody knows what Raj is.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I actually had just watched the Top Chef challenge where they had to make Dim Sum and they all failed miserably at it.

So it was no surprise these guys could do it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Milk or water work fine for scrambled eggs, though you wind up with a different texture and it comes down to preference. I'd use water if I was just doing egg whites but use whole milk for the whole thing and that's just how I prefer things. Coffeemate, on the other hand, is right out.

I recall there being some cooking show about "the worst cooks in [location]" (I think it was UK and America but who knows if there were others). I wonder if that was watchable...

I saw a show like this. Someone boiled a chicken and put some processed cheese slices on it.

Just the whole chicken sitting on a plate with 2-3 cheese slices.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Considering often these places have no rooms booked having at least a few updated is at least some improvement.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
To be fair to them, it was a tiny piece of plastic and I think it was in a salad so they probably couldn't have checked the whole thing.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Trying to watch the first episode of Masterchef, are they going to go through this whole rigmarole for everyone? I'm already sick of it after the first two people competing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

This season of HK hasn't been any more remarkable than other recent ones, but Milly is my favorite contestant in a while. I don't think he can win, bombing on the fish station is never a good sign, but he'll get one of those super respectful sendoffs.

I really like Meghan and I'm glad that she is either going to win or be second place to Michelle.