Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

[EDIT: I've updated some of the information in this OP.]

What is HeroClix?

HeroClix is a licensed collectible miniatures game of superhero combat. It has three main "universes," which are Marvel, DC, and Indy. Indy is basically a catchall for anything that isn't owned by the Big Two, such as characters like Hellboy, Witchblade, and Danger Girl. Indy hasn't had a release of any kind since 2008 (2007?) with the Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. Action Pack. There's also a sort of a sort of scattered "other" universe, with Street Fighter, Star Trek, and other licensed material. The universes are all playable with each other because it's all one unified game system, so yes, you can play Superman, Wolverine, and Hellboy all on the same team. Now you can even throw in Master Chief, Gandalf, M. Bison, the starship Enterprise, and maybe even Hello Kitty (we're not sure yet)! It was produced by Wizkids Games, which Hasbro bought, ran for a couple years, then abruptly shut down in late 2008 despite HeroClix being a cash cow. NECA bought the assets of WizKids and brought the game back with the Hammer of Thor release, which came out in November 2009 to much fanfare of HeroClix players.

Over the years it's evolved from being pretty simple— with the philosophy that everything you need to know about the figure is on its base and dial— to being pretty complex. The Mutant Mayhem set (released in 2004) introduced Feats and Battlefield Conditions, which give figures special abilities (or change the way their existing abilities work) or change how the game works for everybody, respectively. The Fantastic Forces set (2005) also added giants (tall characters who can punch two squares away; they technically debuted in Mutant Mayhem with Giant-Man), double-based figures (who take up two squares instead of one), transporters (who can carry other figures even if they wouldn't otherwise be able to), and duo figures (representing a close team, like Hawk & Dove, Batman & Robin, or Cap & Bucky) which all come with their own special sets of rules via combat abilities granted by the combat symbols that make them special.

As of the release of the Avengers set and Legion of Super-Heroes starter (late summer of 2007), figures now have character cards, which have enabled special powers and "keywords," around which players can build teams that are themed around something about the characters they're using. This could be as readily-identifiable (a "Named" keyword) as the character's team affiliation(s) or background such as Avengers or Kryptonian, or it could be something simpler and more broad (a "Generic" keyword), like "Scientist," "Politician," or "Ruler." The rulebook has a list of the Generic keywords.

It seems now with every couple standard booster releases we get a new mechanic of some kind with no signs of slowing down on it. Lord of the Rings gave us Horde Tokens, Batman gave us vehicles, and the Teen Titans set gave us team bases, which allow you to play a cognizable team not just as a themed team but as essentially a single character, like the Justice League or the Shi'ar Imperial Guard. Everything seems at first like it's horribly broken and the thing that's finally going to ruin HeroClix, but players eventually learn to deal with it and form strategies to which the new "broken" thing is vulnerable.

It bears mentioning that you absolutely need the current rules [:siren: currently 2014], especially a copy of the Powers and Abilities Card. I keep seeing people using old PACs so they know which powers are which and using an old one is fine for at least that. However, in the 2013 rules they added pink powers which won't be on old PACs, plus the wording on existing powers isn't current. I repeat, DO NOT use an old Powers and Abilities Card for reference. The link below lets you download it for free. Print that off and use it. They changed a LOT of things in the 2013 PAC, but not so many in the rulebook, attempting to rebalance powers so they'd all be useful, so as of 2013 it's turned into a whole new ballgame in terms of figure utility. Lots of old figures become dynamite under the new rules where before they were maybe sort of O.K. It also helped some old crap figures become at least playable.

What do I need?

Obviously, you need the figures. To be more helpful, like in pretty much any other miniatures game you build to a certain point total, the default of which is 300 in organized tournaments (discussed below). The best way to just be able to learn how to play the game is to get some figures and assemble them into a couple teams of equal point value. This will be easiest if you get the Man of Steel starter, or maybe another one if you can find it. A Fast Forces pack is not a starter. It comes with figures and a map, yes, but it doesn't include rules, object tokens, or anything like that. The big advantage is that they're cheaper and you can download the rulebook and PAC as well as object tokens from the print-and-play section (more on that later).

Other than starters and Fast Forces packs, figures tend to come in either 5-figure boosters or single-figure packs from a type of display known as either "gravity feed" (GF) or "countertop display" (CTD). Both are essentially the same thing, just with a slightly different method of physical delivery of the single boosters. Some sets only come as a GF/CTD. These are typically the smaller sets like Lord of the Rings or :black101:Iron Maiden:black101:. Yes, you read that right: Iron Maiden HeroClix, a 9-figure gravity-feed set of the various incarnations of Eddie from album covers. The sculpts look like rear end but the dials are pretty good. Some CTDs are a "primer display" that comes out two weeks ahead of the main set. Primers are a sort of sub-set with collector's numbers of 201-210, using the same sculpts but different stats.

Buying a starter (for the 2014 rules: the Captain America: the Winter Soldier starter was the first, and later Guardians of the Galaxy Movie) will give you the most recent rulebook and Powers & Abilities Card— a.k.a. the PAC— which explains what all the little colored boxes mean depending which slot they're in. [EDIT: Apparently while both of these have the rulebook, the CA:tWS one didn't have the PAC and I've seen reports that the GOtGM one was missing it as well.] You'll also get maps, which are pretty critical for playing the game. Having the most recent rules is important because they can evolve pretty sharply in particular aspects between sets, such as giants did when the last rulebook came out. You also get a map (you need these to play), dice, terrain markers, and you used to get a ring for turning the bases, which except for the first couple Marvel as well as all the NECA-era (except for the LoSH starter and Avengers) sets turn by little ridges on the bottom of the base, though some turn by holding the figure and rotating the dial with an outer ring on the base (the "cup-style" base). Some figures from sets with the bottom-turning bases have cup bases with colors other than black, but this is because of the now-obsolete Archenemy mechanic. Note that as of the Superman set they've moved to the seemingly far-superior "Oreo-style" bases, where you hold the top half of the base and turn the bottom.

A particularly good resource, once you've got your head wrapped around the rudiments of the game, is the Player's Guide. The Rules Arbitrator (despite the title, he only passes along rulings), maintains the document. It's a comprehensive guide to the rules, encompassing the FAQ, errata, and rulings. It updates the wording on absolutely everything in the game and is a great resource with answers to almost any question you could think of. Even better, though, is that it tries to teach you how to figure things out yourself, like if Power X and Power Y can be used in conjunction with each other. You can get the Core Rulebook, the PAC, Comprehensive Tournament Rules, and the Player's Guide (get the Golden Age guide because it'll contain information going back to the very first set) for free on the Wizkids download page. However, the most recent (as of the posting of this iteration of the thread) Player's Guide is only available in its component sections via the HeroClix Rules Downloads page. The new format should make updates much faster. [EDIT: It hasn't.]

Finally— and this is important if you're going to play really old figures— you can get the document that gives keywords to the figures predating character cards here.

Note: The Rules Arbitrator and his official Deputies make and communicate rulings in the HeroClix Rules Discussion forum on HCRealms.com. If you go in there please— for the love of Shaft— use the Search feature at the top before posting. They moderate it about as well as Wizkids did (I once saw nine threads on the first page of their rules forum on the same topic), but I think people aren't so retarded over on HCRealms in that regard. They do, though, tend to be a bunch of Chicken Littles and negative Nancies with their "______ is killing HeroClix" attitude. Wizkids no longer has forums of its own, instead making HCRealms essentially the unofficial offical communication channel.

Edit: The above is no longer true. The Deputies have pulled out of HCRealms entirely and now post on a single account (which sometimes conflicts itself as a result) on the new WizKids Rules Forums. However, existing HCR forum rulings stand unless later contradicted.

Where do I play?

You can, of course, play at home. However, that might be a bit of a challenge. Check with your local game or comic book store (basically, wherever you buy the figures, assuming you do so at retail) to see if they hold Organized Play (OP) tournaments. Wizkids has set up an event system to help you find local venues at https://www.wizkidseventsystem.com. One of the best ways to learn the game is to get your rear end kicked over and over again. This teaches you tactics, though you should make sure you at least know the basics— turn sequence, line of fire, how powers and team abilities work and interact [ClownNote: especially the power interactions— DEAR SHAFT, the power interactions are a must-know], etc.— first. Tournaments will allow you to both learn the finer points of the game and find people to play and trade with. Try to make sure you read the Player's Guide entries for any figures, feats, etc. you plan on using so you're at least familiar with them. If you have a smartphone, bring the Player's Guide with you on it in case you need it, but don't look everything up on it. Technically, you're not supposed to use electronic devices at tournaments anyway. You can generally trust your opponent. There's also a good free Android app called HeroClix Rules, but it's third-party and not official.

In late 2011, Wizkids began "Storyline" organized play, which are tournaments themed around a particular storyline. The first of these was Infinity Gauntlet, which gave players the Infinity Gauntlet resource, which was a new type of game element at the time. Each month players got one of the Infinity Gems to go on the Gauntlet. After that was the No Man's Land event, which gave players the Utility Belt and various items for it along with a couple costumes for the Belt's costume slot. Fear Itself was the first time they had boosters that were specifically for OP use. The current event is War of Light, which is _____ Lantern-based and gives out the various Corps rings in boosters like the Invincible Iron Man set did with the Rings of the Mandarin. Each Corps also has its own central battery as a resource, but the Green one is the only one you get just for participating. You have to buy the rest in paired kits, with Black/White as a con exclusive. They seem to want to move toward supporting storyline play more as the events have a higher proportion of sealed (at least as WK suggests), so they've been shrinking the contents of the standard OP prize kits.

What's coming up?
Most recently we've had the release of Batman Classic TV (a small set of Adam West Batman), Thor: the Dark World, Batman: Arkham Origins, Invincible Iron Man, the AvX event, and the primer display for Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes, which releases the week of this post and was supposed to come out two weeks ago. The Man of Steel starter (which honestly wasn't really that good) has the current Rulebook and PAC, so you should probably pick that up if you don't want to run those off on your own, plus it has a map. If you play in AvX, you'll need to pick up one of the two faction starters, so you'll get a rulebook and PAC that way too.

From Torrent, here's what's coming up (including special events) at the time of this posting. Note that we're not necessarily sure if Hello Kitty and The Nightmare Before Christmas are Clix or not. Dates aren't merely subject to change— you should assume they will, probably with little if any notice because Wizkids these days has the communication skills of Helen Keller with a broken hand. Some sets have what's called a CTD "primer display" that comes out two weeks ahead of the 5-figure boosters.

quote:

February
• Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes (with Fast Forces: Legion of Doom)

March
• Winter Soldier movie set

April
• Days of Future Past and accompanying Sentinel pack
• Yu-Gi-Oh (unless it gets delayed again)

May
• Deadpool (with Fast Forces: Thunderbolts)

June
• War of Light storyline event and accompanying OP booster set
• Return of the King

July
• Guardians of the Galaxy movie set

August
• World Championships
• Guardians of the Galaxy comic set

Fall 2014
• The Flash booster set
• Yu-Gi-Oh series 2
• Yu-Gi-Oh Battle of the Millennium OP storyline event

Unknown
• Hello Kitty
• Nightmare Before Christmas

So why this thread?

There are a good number of HeroClix-playing goons here in BSS, so this is a thread for us to discuss the game. Join in! Inkslinger is Seth Johnson, who used to be the lead game designer for HeroClix under Wizkids and came back into the fold for a few sets under Wizkids/NECA. Don't ask him a bunch of "why" questions, like "Why did you give Figure X this power?" or the like, because he doesn't answer those for various reasons. Morand's an excellent player (and :siren:the 2011 and 2013 REPEAT WORLD CHAMPION:siren:). Steve Vader's got some bizarre obsession with Bi-Beast, who he finally got way back in Hammer of Thor. Sanschel is pretty active in these threads, as is CapnAndy, who plays against Morand regularly. Torrent gets to help with judging at Worlds. I live in South Dakota and I'm too broke to go to GenCon and thus can't make Worlds (edit: now at Origins in the future, apparently). I'm the one who always starts these threads. Come and join us!

Just as a final note, this game is not like Magic. Sure, there are some team builds that work very well, but the game is played at varying point levels and in either Modern Age (what Magic would call "Standard", where sets past a certain point are retired and there are no bystander tokens, special object tokens, feats, or battlefield conditions allowed) or Golden Age, where anything goes except the ships of Star Trek: Tactics (for some reason). There really is no standard killer build. It all depends on what your venue plays in a given week, plus the release schedule means the metagame can change significantly every couple months. Also, the Units section of HCRealms lets you search characters and build teams. It's quite useful.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Reserved space here

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
For those of you who keep your character cards in binders, what binder pages do you recommend?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Red posted:

For those of you who keep your character cards in binders, what binder pages do you recommend?
Use these.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I will - thanks!

Right now, they're just in piles and stacks in little ziploc bags.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Personally, I don't use a binder. I use a two-drawer file card container, alphabetized with dividers by letter. Recently I made my own sub-dividers for letters I have a lot of, like B and M. Having a file card container makes it much easier to insert new cards without having to rearrange everything.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I've been using binders for years and didn't have a problem until the first Hobbit set came out, at which point I had to massively reorganize my binder page filing and get a few more. I now have two Marvel binders (Avengers-Fear Itself, WatX-current), one DC, one "other" (off-brand stuff in alphabetical order, with TabApp & Con LE stuff at the very front), and an extraneous mechanics binder (resources, atas, objects, event dials & other cardboard). It's really too much and I should probably use a filing box but it all looks so pretty as a page. I just wish there was a binder sheet that would hold the Thanos/Batcave/Serpent cards.

Next question: what do y'all use for storage? I've long since run out of room in my apartment and the boxes with ziplock baggies of sets is slowly overtaking my dining area. I wanna redo the shelving system in there anyway with some nice deep Ikea ones but I'd like to get some quality bins to go on the lower half of the shelves.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sanschel posted:

Next question: what do y'all use for storage? I've long since run out of room in my apartment and the boxes with ziplock baggies of sets is slowly overtaking my dining area. I wanna redo the shelving system in there anyway with some nice deep Ikea ones but I'd like to get some quality bins to go on the lower half of the shelves.

Just a storage tub from Target. I have a decent collection of Clix, but they all fit. I don't worry about them rubbing against each other (and removing paint) because they stay in one spot. Stilt-Man goes in a little baggie, though.

The Frost Giant I have is nice enough that that should be up somewhere, though.

I'd like to see others' storage options that are space-friendly, and keep the pieces protected.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I have like 20+ IKEA SAMLA boxes filled with heroclix stuff. They are pretty nice because they are see through and you can stack them.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Also for Morand, from the last thread:

quote:

Thursday is 500 points silver age. I want to try out some LOSH stuff.

Cosmic Boy
Saturn Girl
Lightning Lad
Sun-Boy
MOS 100 point Superman
Lara Lor-Van

Using the traits of the founders to induct Superman and his mom.

Not sold on it so opening it up to the floor. Any other ideas?

Edit: An alternate idea is Joe-El at 100 points

Edit: yet another idea.

TOS Question and Night Nurse
Switch Sun Boy for Karate Kid and induct the Batcomputer & FF Oracle, you'll have enough for either the Legion Founders or Legionnaires ATA or to add the Batcave to somebody else, and if you use the Robin Suit you'll have Titans, Batman, & Hypertime to copy.

I just really want to see somebody drop that hunk of plastic on the board and say, "This is now a Legionnaire."

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 24, 2014

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Sanschel posted:

I use these. You can stack them, so they fit pretty much anywhere, and it's been working out pretty well for me so far. Not sure how I'm going to deal with the new scale of giant figs, like Validus or Colossal Boy, though. You can definitely get them cheaper at a Lowe's or something- I nabbed mine for something like ten bucks apiece.

In other news, my AvX2 at my home venue went to the local cheeselord who, once again, brought Fantomex and Brother Voodoo. The exact team he ran last time, except with a bonus Thor. I'm probably going to build something to gently caress with that, likely featuring Iron Pharaoh, because I'm getting tired of him running the same cheese over and over while trotting out the old "I'm in it to win it" excuse.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
I had my last AvX month 2 yesterday and it went pretty well.The format was full constructed, 400 points, Silver Age, no feats or BFCs, Phoenix Force is the only allowed resource, must use one figure from starter, and all figures must have Avengers or X-Men keyword. I went with:
IIM Iron Man @ 150 w/ Cyclops Fragment
AvX Scarlet Witch @ 100 w/ Namor Fragment
FI Iron Fist 80
CW Ant-Man 43
Phoenix Force 24
=397

Round One vs WXM Phoenix, AvX Cyclops, and M10 Emma Frost, and PF on Emma and Cyclops
I won map and chose Wakanda. Moved up behind the middle building wall just out of range of Cyke. He moved up. I SHIELD TA'ed w/ Ant-Man, outwitted Phoenix's defense and blasted her down to charge and some other business and ran Iron Fist out to tie up Emma and Scott. Ended up knocking out Cyclops and Phoenix with Iron Fist in the next few rounds and then he pushed/crit missed Emma to death.
1-0

Round two vs AvX Thor @100, AvX Captain America @ 100, IIM War Machine 125, and IM3 Tony Stark w/ PF on WM and Thor
I won map and chose Latveria. I was a little nervous because I was playing a guy who I always have really close/good games with and I helped him build his team and liked it a lot. He did not realize that IM had improved targeting, but he did chose Precision Strike for WM's trait so that hindered IM and SW. I hid behind blocking, he moved up, and then I killed Thor in one blast. We went back and forth, he got Iron Fist, I got Tony, he got IM, I got WM. I ended up on HSS on the PF after he chose ES/D with Cap's trait and I hit him, knocking him down a bit when time was called. He got my Ant-Man during his final turn and I won on points.
2-0 Very good game.

Round 3 vs AvX SWitch @ 150, AvX Spider-Man @ 100, and AvX Thor @ 100, and PF on... someone.
This was against a local kid who isn't very good. The match ups were weird this tournament and so I basically auto won. He is like fourteen or something and has been playing for a year, but still doesn't have a grasp on the powers and rules. I normally wouldn't be so harsh on a new... err, inexperienced player and I would help them, but he is a jerk about people helping him and doesn't lose well... or win well either so I have stopped trying. I swept him in a few minutes.
3-0

Round four vs AvX Thor @ 100, FI Dr Strange 145, AvX Switch @ 100, and IM3 Tony Stark.
This was against a veteran player who gets first place very often. I won map and chose Latveria. Moved behind blocking, he did the same, but didn't realize that IM had improved targeting and I blasted Thor to death. He was really mad at himself. He moved everything else up and pinged IM, but I based Strange w/ IF, positioned Switch to see everything, and went to town.
4-0

I got first place on points and won a Lei Kung. I had actually already gotten him in fellowship at my other venue, bit it always feels better when you earn it. This month's maps were made for Cyclops and 001 Iron Man with all the blocking. That with SHIELD TA and RCE from the fragment is MEAN.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Sanschel posted:

Also for Morand, from the last thread:

Switch Sun Boy for Karate Kid and induct the Batcomputer & FF Oracle, you'll have enough for either the Legion Founders or Legionnaires ATA or to add the Batcave to somebody else, and if you use the Robin Suit you'll have Titans, Batman, & Hypertime to copy.

I just really want to see somebody drop that hunk of plastic on the board and say, "This is now a Legionnaire."

While this is indeed hilarious, wouldn't I also have to induct the alfred dial on the batcave too which would mean no Oracle?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Sanschel posted:

I use something like this

Though not this exact one as I don't pay 40 bucks for storage.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Grammar Aryan posted:

I use these. You can stack them, so they fit pretty much anywhere, and it's been working out pretty well for me so far. Not sure how I'm going to deal with the new scale of giant figs, like Validus or Colossal Boy, though. You can definitely get them cheaper at a Lowe's or something- I nabbed mine for something like ten bucks apiece.
I use something very similar that's white, has five shelves, and you can buy it at Target. Works great.

As for the big figures, just lie them down. It's annoying because it breaks the nice uniformity of all the pieces lined up in order, but oh well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I happened to be traveling for work, and stopped at a Target for some supplies - and they just had a random pile of Heroclix single-figure booster packs for a dollar each.

Always check your Targets when traveling.

Edit: Nori the Dwarf was in one of them!

Red fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 24, 2014

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

I use a four-shelf version of that, with things split out by set, for the most part. Going to have to split Lord of the Rings out of "Misc. Licenses" and into it's own drawer soon...

A friend of mine gets the trays that factory sets come in, and mounts them to his wall. It looks pretty nice, and makes finding the figures you need really easy. Honestly, WizKids could probably make decent money just selling those trays. Right now, they are really hard to get a hold of.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SLoSH finally gets a dud, with a Daemonite leader whose powers are unreliable and never seem to really gel together, and much more of a finesse piece than he ought to be for his fairly substantial point cost.

Sculpt looks cool, though.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

SLoSH finally gets a dud, with a Daemonite leader whose powers are unreliable and never seem to really gel together, and much more of a finesse piece than he ought to be for his fairly substantial point cost.

Sculpt looks cool, though.

At 200 sure. As a 125 point second Banana? Much better.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Morand posted:

While this is indeed hilarious, wouldn't I also have to induct the alfred dial on the batcave too which would mean no Oracle?

Only if you're using the 100 point cost, if it's 85 then it's just he computer. It's 15 points wasted in the name of comedy.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Hey guys, I was at my local comic book store today and I found myself asking the clerk about Heroclix. I've been thinking about getting into it and I don't have enough money right now to play much poker, and I love comic books, so I figured it was a match made in Heaven. I bought the AvX Avengers starter set and an Iron Man booster pack. The clerk told me that they have a bunch of guys that play 3 times a week, so I'm sure I will learn from them, but as it stands now I have no idea what I'm doing. Help pls :3

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Get your favorite comic book characters in clix form and play with them. Ask this thread about anything related to heroclix because poo poo can be really hard to understand or figure out some times.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey guys, I was at my local comic book store today and I found myself asking the clerk about Heroclix. I've been thinking about getting into it and I don't have enough money right now to play much poker, and I love comic books, so I figured it was a match made in Heaven. I bought the AvX Avengers starter set and an Iron Man booster pack. The clerk told me that they have a bunch of guys that play 3 times a week, so I'm sure I will learn from them, but as it stands now I have no idea what I'm doing. Help pls :3

You got a drat good starter to experiment with.

Step 1. Read the rulebook
Step 2. :psyduck: at the rulebook
Step 3. Go to a venue and ask to play a bit and learn as you play
Step 4. Play and enjoy!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Just a storage tub from Target. I have a decent collection of Clix, but they all fit. I don't worry about them rubbing against each other (and removing paint) because they stay in one spot. Stilt-Man goes in a little baggie, though.

The Frost Giant I have is nice enough that that should be up somewhere, though.

I'd like to see others' storage options that are space-friendly, and keep the pieces protected.

I use the 3" Plano Deep Stowaway (model # 2-3730-04). This also seems to be it. Menards seems to be the only place I can just walk right in and buy one anymore. It was hard even finding this model online. AMAZON didn't even have them. If Menards stops carrying them I'll have to start just ordering them directly from Plano, who I hope never stops making them. They fit every single- or peanut-based character I have other than Devil Dinosaur & Moon Boy. With Validus, that'll likely change if I get him. I also have a different tacklebox (I don't know the model offhand) that I use for taking my teams to events and carrying other stuff (like poker chips for action tokens, my objects, resources, etc.).

Edit: to add to what Morand said:

Step 5: Download the Player's Guide (current link in the OP) to understand rules questions you'll have after Step 2. It also has errata, which are betting increasingly plentiful as Wizkids knows full well that low quality is still quality and designs/writes/prints accordingly.
Step 6: :psyduck: at the Player's Guide
Step 7: Get your rear end kicked in several games to learn strategy and rules.
Step 8: Get good at HeroClix
Somewhere in there: Ditch your sanity because this game can get crazy complicated sometimes. Instead of a set list, I may use the second post for common rules questions.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 24, 2014

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Edit: to add to what Morand said:

Step 5: Download the Player's Guide (current link in the OP) to understand rules questions you'll have after Step 2. It also has errata, which are betting increasingly plentiful as Wizkids knows full well that low quality is still quality and designs/writes/prints accordingly.
Step 6: :psyduck: at the Player's Guide
Step 7: Get your rear end kicked in several games to learn strategy and rules.
Step 8: Get good at HeroClix
Somewhere in there: Ditch your sanity because this game can get crazy complicated sometimes. Instead of a set list, I may use the second post for common rules questions.

EVERYONE loses their first game. Don't get discouraged, learn from it!

Fun fact! Andy beat me in the first tournamant I ever played in. He didn't beat me again for 10 years.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Morand posted:

EVERYONE loses their first game. Don't get discouraged, learn from it!

I can't emphasize this enough. With the AvX tournament series, there's been an influx of new players in my area. The ones who have taken their losses in stride are getting better, and the ones who complain about resources and lobby for every event to be 300 Sealed are still sorting to the bottom of the pile.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
Guys, I feel a bit bad and thought here was a good place to vent this. The past few weeks I haven't been able to make it in to the weekly heroclix night at our local venue. I don't want people to think that I'm only showing up for the big tournaments (which isn't my intention), but I've just been busy with school, work, life issues, and now being sick, and this is going to be the third week in a row I missed.

It's already a tricky thing to hold enough people to keep our venue going, but I just wanted to avoid the nights when me playing would have made it much less fun or enjoyable for everyone else, as well as me just getting all butt-hurt and upset (doc screwed some meds up for me, so I'm a bit of a wreck as of late) when I just really wanted to show up and enjoy the night. I think part of this is me just feeling like crap because I feel like I'm letting the guys at the venue down.

Any advice on what to do?

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 24, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SublimeDelusions posted:

Any advice on what to do?
Show up when you can and stop beating yourself up. It's a game and you're under no obligations to play if it wouldn't be fun or you have something else to do.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The remaining SLoSH pieces are slowly being revealed: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476182

So far Glorith, Shadow Lass, Colossal Boy, Ultra Boy, Shrinking Violet, & Polar Boy have been spoiled. Ultra Boy in particular is a fantastic mix'n'match piece.

The cards & sculpts for SR Mr. Miracle & Barda and chase Guardian from the Great Darkness Saga have also been shown: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/album.php?albumid=4267

The Trait for the chases is gross, getting to steal an attached piece of an opposing Resource and use it as a relic. Though because of the wording I think you can only ever take one; this is written more like Full Moon for the werewolves/Moon Knight, I think it'd need to be "for each character with this Trait" for you to take more than one. Am I reading that right?

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 25, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sanschel posted:

The Trait for the chases is gross, getting to steal an attached piece of an opposing Resource and use it as a relic. Though because of the wording I think you can only ever take one; this is written more like Full Moon for the werewolves/Moon Knight, I think it'd need to be "for each character with this Trait" for you to take more than one. Am I reading that right?
You get to steal one resource piece per character with the trait.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Hm- how does that Growing Darkness trait work with the Phoenix Force? Does the PF player get to put fragments on their characters first, or does the GD character get to steal them first?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Man, now that I can afford cases the chases are starting to be terrible, guess I'm happy for fans of this one storyline but I'm never going to play whichever one I get. Hope they trade well at least and that I get good luck with the SRs, apparently the toys do take up a figure slot but people are getting 2 in a brick (they hopefully take a common slot as well).

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Hm- how does that Growing Darkness trait work with the Phoenix Force? Does the PF player get to put fragments on their characters first, or does the GD character get to steal them first?

The fragments are placed on the characters first. You place them when placing characters in their starting areas. "At the beginning of the game" happens just prior to Player 1 taking his first turn.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
One of Growing Darkness guys could steal a gem from a gauntlet and deactivate the gauntlet's granting power cosmic right?

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Since Growing Darkness straight up removes something from the Gauntlet, yeah, it would no longer have six gems attached, so they wouldn't get Willpower and you could counter their powers.

It can remove benefits of the Utility Belt, too, though there's a chance they could get stuff back with Resupply clicks. I'd probably opt to yank the Batman Cowl if they have it slotted instead.

Looks like the Phoenix Force has another reason it's becoming my favorite resource.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I don't know that the item in the costume slot counts as a relic, though. At least this is going to lead to them being more clear about when something attached to a resource is itself a resource vs. being a relic.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Stealing the Batman Cowl is definitely the best bet against the Utility Belt, and also the funniest option. DARKSEID DEMANDS A CAPE

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

I don't know that the item in the costume slot counts as a relic, though. At least this is going to lead to them being more clear about when something attached to a resource is itself a resource vs. being a relic.

The costume slot items can be played as Relics, though, so, much like the Phoenix Fragments, when you yank it off, it acts as a Relic, I think. Then again, the Fragments work like that because it explicitly says it works like that. Regardless, yanking the costume out is huge, since they can't replace it because the Resupply slot only affects things in slots 1-6.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

We've only got one dial so far on these chases. Awesome trait but I'm still curious about their dials to see if they're worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Chris Cooley is my Life Coach.
My workplace has suddenly exploded with interest in Heroclix, meaning I got to play my Dota 2 clicks for the first time.

I initially got them just because I like Dota, but now that I've played a bit I want more. Are there any plans to release more Dota clicks or am I stuck with my five?

• Locked thread