Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
After examining the dial and the character card for two hours I just figured out that the colored block surrounding a number indicates a trait that corresponds with the card :downs:
I was just mindlessly reading the character card thinking those abilities could be used willy nilly.

So, two hours in, just learned how to read the dial :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Seymour Butts posted:

After examining the dial and the character card for two hours I just figured out that the colored block surrounding a number indicates a trait that corresponds with the card :downs:
I was just mindlessly reading the character card thinking those abilities could be used willy nilly.

Yeah so if there's a Star on the dial and card, that's called a 'Trait', and it is always "on". Like, if you have a power in the trait, you've got it no matter what.

Then there's special powers, which are the boxes on the dial around Speed, Attack, Defense or Damage. You'll find the corresponding power(s) on the card next to the foot, fist, shield or explosion icon.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Seymour Butts posted:

Traits (A Star on the base and card) are, in general, always active. The only powers you have access to are the ones showing on your current click, and only the specific powers for each slot, and any Special Powers (White Box with a Black Outline around the combat value) that are also on that current click. So, using the preview of the upcoming Days of Future Past Wolverine as an example...

He has a trait called Healing Factor which is always active, and on his first click he has access to the powers Precision Strike (Pink on Attack), Combat Reflexes (Lime Green on Defense), Empower (Pink on Damage), and a Special Power (White Box with Black Outline): Berserker Barrage which allows him to use the powers Charge, Flurry and Blades/Claws/Fangs. You do not have access to the Toughness that is listed on his card until it turns up on your current click.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I got another idea for AvX3 Saturday. With as much elevated as those maps have, knockback is going to be ridiculous. As such, AvX Iron Man might actually have some use. I thought of a team to use him. It also includes Blastaar! With Green Scar I figure if I get in close I can let him take a hit to maybe put him onto his 12 Attack/4 Damage with Exploit Weakness click. Sure, his Defense value tanks, but I can expect people not knowing how to deal with him because a lot of people there weren't even playing when Mutations & Monsters came out. The ones that were probably don't remember his dial very well. The Fragment lets him fly. I wonder if the idea wouldn't work better switching his and Iron Man's Fragments around, given that Green Scar's going to be in more lines of fire as a close combat piece and thus keeping some protection with Colossus's Fragment in case of Outwit. Oracle's there to provide dual Barrier and Prob Control duty. Starter Killian gives Sharpshooter and can help Iron Man and/or Blastaar hit with his HYDRA TA coupled with Perplex.
pre:
AVX002	Iron Man	150
  Secret Avengers	5
	Fragment- Colossus
GG023	Blastaar	158
	Fragment- Cyclops
IM3103	Killian		75
WXM005	Oracle		49
MU033	Green Scar	230
	Fragment- Namor
	Phoenix Force	12
	3 characters	9
	3 fragments	9
Edit: Well, crap. I just looked and AvX3 is next week, not this week. Well, more time to plan, I guess!

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 28, 2014

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Had a blast tonight running Grundy. He just does not die.

And Bizarro at 25 points is the best bargain you can get. Nobody wants to deal with him because he's only 25 points. Then he starts doing 6 damage.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Sorry to break up the LoSH chat, but I wanted some ideas on AvX Month 2 for me (next weekend, but I am out of town during the week so I wanted to figure stuff out). Format is: modern age, no resources, no team bases, no colossals, no vehicles, and I have to use a character from the X-Men starter that isn't Magik (since I used her last time). 400 pts.

Ideas:
GG GF Namor (for the water map)
AvX Emma Frost at 100
WatX Hope Summers
AvX Cable (every team I play will be from the avengers team and have at least one character with the Avengers keyword, making him not as horrible)

I like this, it has a lot of fun powers for Hope to copy, but it might not be that great.

Forge
WatX GF Shadowcat
WatX 100 pt Colossus
WatX 40 pt Jean Grey
AvX Cyclops @ 100

Lots of perplex, could be a fun team. I really like Forge's power - there were two mystics teams last time that I had trouble with. This team would do pretty poorly on the flooded Wakanda map though. I was thinking about a team more based on Pulse Waves as a result, but I'm not sure what to do. I guess start with Magneto? I don't have a lot of figures, but another player said I could probably borrow anything I wanted from him.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 28, 2014

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

With as much elevated as those maps have, knockback is going to be ridiculous.

Where did you find previews of the maps for Month 3? My searches aren't digging anything up, and the Realms' search function is legendarily terrible.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Where did you find previews of the maps for Month 3? My searches aren't digging anything up, and the Realms' search function is legendarily terrible.
Here is where I saw it, but not great image quality/I don't know what the special rules are.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

DoFP Professor X is up. He's 150 points and has IT: Hindering/Elevated/Blocking/Characters with an 8 Range and Sharpshooter. I don't know about him. He might surprise me, but I think he's overcosted.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
So my home venue's Month 3 is happening in a couple weeks, and our build's a little weird. 500 points Modern, with at least one figure from a non-Marvel set and at least 3 figures from your AvX starter. With all this elevated terrain messing with lines of fire, I think this might be a good opportunity to try out Dawnstar.

AvX Iron Man (150) w/Avengers Response Unit
AvX Scarlet Witch (100) w/Avengers Response Unit
AvX Spider-Man (125) w/Avengers Response Unit
SLoSH Dawnstar
TTGF NOWHERE Soldier

Dawnstar should happily let me ignore elevated terrain to snipe on Magnetos and Thors, and with PD and ghetto S.H.I.E.L.D. ATA from the NOWHERE Soldier and Spidey, I should be able to knock people back with Iron Man so that I can keep the hits rolling.

I will admit, though, that there might be something better I could pull out for the Non-Marvel stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

DoFP Professor X is up. He's 150 points and has IT: Hindering/Elevated/Blocking/Characters with an 8 Range and Sharpshooter. I don't know about him. He might surprise me, but I think he's overcosted.
I gotta agree with you. He's amazing at what he does, but he can't move, has all the defensive capability you'd expect out of an old man in a wheelchair, and doesn't even have indom. So yeah, he's a dude who can perplex and outwit anyone within 8 squares of him and zap somebody for 2 damage every other turn, but it takes exactly one hit to make him lose most of his tricks, and two to kill him, and he's a very tempting target. I want to like him, but he really feels like a 150 point gift to your opponent.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Man, I've never seen a figure who relies so much on map roll just to completely disregard the map once the game begins. Might be worth it for big point X-Men teams where he can have Elixer on standby as a an evac/turret piece, but is otherwise outclassed by AvX Chuck.

Fritzler posted:

Sorry to break up the LoSH chat, but I wanted some ideas on AvX Month 2 for me (next weekend, but I am out of town during the week so I wanted to figure stuff out). Format is: modern age, no resources, no team bases, no colossals, no vehicles, and I have to use a character from the X-Men starter that isn't Magik (since I used her last time). 400 pts.

Ideas:
GG GF Namor (for the water map)
AvX Emma Frost at 100
WatX Hope Summers
AvX Cable (every team I play will be from the avengers team and have at least one character with the Avengers keyword, making him not as horrible)

I like this, it has a lot of fun powers for Hope to copy, but it might not be that great.

Forge
WatX GF Shadowcat
WatX 100 pt Colossus
WatX 40 pt Jean Grey
AvX Cyclops @ 100

Lots of perplex, could be a fun team. I really like Forge's power - there were two mystics teams last time that I had trouble with. This team would do pretty poorly on the flooded Wakanda map though. I was thinking about a team more based on Pulse Waves as a result, but I'm not sure what to do. I guess start with Magneto? I don't have a lot of figures, but another player said I could probably borrow anything I wanted from him.
Namor seems like he'd do well on Wakanda, but for Month 2 Cyke is definitely the king of those maps; on Latveria you can only hide from him on the elevated, but on Wakanda he can see you anywhere. Jean can TK him to the side islands from either starting area so his Running Shot shouldn't get watered down, and there's almost no spot he can't reach with her help.

That second team also has 90 points left you could still use, so maybe throw Forge on there for a permanent Perplex, free 1 click heal for Colossus, and the ability to shut off powers.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
A question for some of the experienced players: How high do you rate indomitable or willpower granting team abilities like power cosmic when you are judging figures? It seems to me that the ability to reliably move 2 turns out of 3 without worrying about pushing damage knocking them off a move-and-attack power or other special ability or killing them outright later in the game is extremely powerful. Being able to get a higher number of actions from a character appears to be one of the best methods of getting the most out of your points in a game.

I tend to avoid characters that don't have willpower unless they are a minor support character, have a really awesome ability, or I can give it to them through a resource. How valid is this?

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Kadath posted:

A question for some of the experienced players: How high do you rate indomitable or willpower granting team abilities like power cosmic when you are judging figures? It seems to me that the ability to reliably move 2 turns out of 3 without worrying about pushing damage knocking them off a move-and-attack power or other special ability or killing them outright later in the game is extremely powerful. Being able to get a higher number of actions from a character appears to be one of the best methods of getting the most out of your points in a game.

I tend to avoid characters that don't have willpower unless they are a minor support character, have a really awesome ability, or I can give it to them through a resource. How valid is this?

I really like Indom, but a lot of the time I'll also take into account how pushable a figure is. Sometimes a piece will have Willpower, whether via the vanilla power, Indom, Power Cosmic/Quintessence, and I'll push them to get onto a gravy click, or I'll push a piece without it to get them where I want.

Take Sharon Carter from Chaos War- she's got Willpower on her top click, but if you push her, she flips over to Willpower with Perplex. I always take a look at the second click to try and gauge the early game- pieces like Lightray from SLoSH I'll push without hesitation, since he goes from a 17 Defense to an 18 on his second click, and I've got a good chance to drop three damage on a piece with HSS in the meanwhile. And I'd definitely push to KO him so I can control his kamikaze explosion.

Sometimes you're just going to want to push anyway. You have a piece without Willpower who has a token and a clear shot on someone who has a clear and free shot on him next turn? You might want to push, because chances are you're getting hit anyway.

I've gotten the upper hand in a lot of matches because I've pushed and my opponent hasn't. It's risky, and I usually won't do it unless it puts me on a click that I want to be on, but it's the best way to ensure you get the most out of your dials, especially those with useful second clicks that likely won't see the light of day otherwise.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotten the upper hand in a lot of matches because I've pushed and my opponent hasn't. It's risky, and I usually won't do it unless it puts me on a click that I want to be on, but it's the best way to ensure you get the most out of your dials, especially those with useful second clicks that likely won't see the light of day otherwise.

This sounds silly on the back of all of my whining about missing really important rolls, but I agree with this: always always push if you opponent is giving you an opening because they're not expecting you to push

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Sanschel posted:

Namor seems like he'd do well on Wakanda, but for Month 2 Cyke is definitely the king of those maps; on Latveria you can only hide from him on the elevated, but on Wakanda he can see you anywhere. Jean can TK him to the side islands from either starting area so his Running Shot shouldn't get watered down, and there's almost no spot he can't reach with her help.

That second team also has 90 points left you could still use, so maybe throw Forge on there for a permanent Perplex, free 1 click heal for Colossus, and the ability to shut off powers.
Forge is the first listed figure there! But hmm, maybe I will look into a team with Cyclops. Maybe I will just say gently caress it to theme team and run AvX Magneto (200), AvX Scarlet Witch (100), and AvX Cyclops (100).

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Fritzler posted:

Forge is the first listed figure there! But hmm, maybe I will look into a team with Cyclops. Maybe I will just say gently caress it to theme team and run AvX Magneto (200), AvX Scarlet Witch (100), and AvX Cyclops (100).

Given all the blocking terrain you could try this if you're willing to forego theme. You'd have 20 points left over to play around with.
pre:
WXM033	Forge		90
WXM017	Jean Grey	40
IIM001	Iron Man	150
AvX009	Cyclops		100
20 points for whatever

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I have no idea how I didn't see Forge there. Also if you're eschewing theme and have 20 points you better use a Maggia Goon.

I'd save Mags though if you can't use him again after this month, he looks well suited to the month 3 maps.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Fritzler posted:

Also, he's not as much of a killing machine on the Month 2 maps as the AvX Cyke, but since you mentioned dealing with Mystics, the WatX Cyclops is also really good for that. His Damage special procs on hit, which occurs before damage is taken, so he'll shut Mystics down before it can do damage to him, and has the benefit of wiping it for followup attacks as well.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Note that Magneto is going to be really good in Month 3 because of the maps. They have a lot of elevated making it much easier to get single-target Pulse Waves off.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Chris Cooley is my Life Coach.
My workmates and I are completely new to the game, so we might be missing something, but can my friend's Donald Blake seriously push himself to his second click and transform into a 200 point Thor? He doesn't have to pay Thor's cost coming into the game?

Is that nuts or am I missing something?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

My workmates and I are completely new to the game, so we might be missing something, but can my friend's Donald Blake seriously push himself to his second click and transform into a 200 point Thor? He doesn't have to pay Thor's cost coming into the game?

Is that nuts or am I missing something?

The way Alter Ego works is that the replacement character (in this case Thor) comes in on its orange starting line and can't be healed past that line. You can never heal past a starting line unless something explicitly says you can, and even then ONLY in that specific way (like vampires and using Steal Energy). Thor is worth the point cost of the replaced character (33 in this case) when KOed. You don't get to stamp the walking stick and have Thor come in full-strength and pissed off. Remember, though, that you have to give an action specifically to activate Alter Ego. You can't have it activate off a power action given for some other purpose.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Ah, I see. The Thor comes out with only two or three clicks remaining. I guess that balances it.

I'm building an Xmen team around my GSX Cyclops and am thinking about including the GSW Colossus / Wolverine combo but can't decide what two pieces I want to split them into. Any tips on high-value Xmen pieces would be appreciated.

Edit for below: None yet. Am unsure which ones I should buy.

Captain Satire fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 1, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

Ah, I see. The Thor comes out with only two or three clicks remaining. I guess that balances it.

I'm building an Xmen team around my GSX Cyclops and am thinking about including the GSW Colossus / Wolverine combo but can't decide what two pieces I want to split them into. Any tips on high-value Xmen pieces would be appreciated.

Which versions of Colossus and Wolverine do you have?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Sanschel posted:

I'd save Mags though if you can't use him again after this month, he looks well suited to the month 3 maps.
I'm moving (back to America!) after that weekend, so that's not a huge deal. Thanks for the advice everyone, it gave me some good ideas.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Fritzler posted:

I'm moving (back to America!) after that weekend, so that's not a huge deal. Thanks for the advice everyone, it gave me some good ideas.

Real quick, on that note, I still have Groot for 'ya. Just get in touch with me when you get back to the US.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Satire posted:

Edit for below: None yet. Am unsure which ones I should buy.

Because of the way Split works, you don't actually have a ton of options to work with. In Modern, you're pretty much stuck with the 100 point Common Colossus from WatX, and then either the IH Wolverine, the CW Wolverine, or the AvX Wolverine at his Rookie starting line. I'd personally choose the CW version, since he's surprisingly difficult to kill.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

Given all the blocking terrain you could try this if you're willing to forego theme. You'd have 20 points left over to play around with.
pre:
WXM033	Forge		90
WXM017	Jean Grey	40
IIM001	Iron Man	150
AvX009	Cyclops		100
20 points for whatever
Quick question on Cyclops/Iron Man. If they attack a character through a wall, that character can't use probability control, because they don't have a line of sight, and the wall isn't destroyed until after the attack, correct?

Edit: Here is the trait's text (for Cyclops, same for Iron Man): I CAN STILL SEE THE DREAM: Improved Targeting: Ignores Blocking Terrain. When a ranged combat attack resolves, any blocking terrain along its line of fire to the target is destroyed; May make a ranged combat attack when adjacent to an opposing character.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 1, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Fritzler posted:

Quick question on Cyclops/Iron Man. If they attack a character through a wall, that character can't use probability control, because they don't have a line of sight, and the wall isn't destroyed until after the attack, correct?

Edit: Here is the trait's text (for Cyclops, same for Iron Man): I CAN STILL SEE THE DREAM: Improved Targeting: Ignores Blocking Terrain. When a ranged combat attack resolves, any blocking terrain along its line of fire to the target is destroyed; May make a ranged combat attack when adjacent to an opposing character.

That is correct. Also, the term is line of fire. Also also, Improved Targeting and Improved Movement aren't traits. They're combat abilities and as such can be countered.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Here's my (very new) 400 point Xmen team.

GSX Cyclops 110
GSX Wolverine / Colossus 190 that can split into CW Wolverine and WXM Colossus
WXM Hope Summers 75
25 points left which probably means this is a bad team.

The idea would be to have hope and Cyke stick together and bast away from range, while Colossus and Wolverine keep the enemy at range.

Bad team? Let me have it.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
I hate underbuilding, but that's a prime spot to put some Resources in. If you're just starting out, though, you likely won't have any. Don't let it bother you too much, though.

As for the team itself, it isn't bad! I'd move Colossus/Wolverine up, picking up a heavy, and have Cyclops and Hope bring up the rear. Keep the duo's Defense Perplexed up and make use of the Fastball Special to get up in someone's face and whop them for 7 damage. I'd push both Hope and Cyke onto click 2, that way you'll have two people with RS/PB and Willpower bringing up the rear.

This team really wants an open map, though, so you might want to consider sideboarding the duo and putting the merge pieces into play to get a themed team bonus. This also lets you squeeze some extra points out, meaning you can swap out the CW Wolverine for the WatX Gravity Feed Wolverine and still be able to merge into the duo later, while also bumping your build up to 398.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Captain Satire posted:

25 points left which probably means this is a bad team.

One thing to keep in mind when you have this many points left - even if you don't own a resource to fill the points with, hordes and bystanders are print-and-play. 25 points means that you print out a Captured Warbot and a Damaged Warbot, both of which are decent, and (more importantly) can get in the way of attacks meant for your actual figures.

You can find them at HeroClix.com, in the Downloads > Print & Play section, under 'Marvel Bystanders.'

Other good print & play options for that team are the Security Guard from DC (6 points for the Police TA to boost your ranged attacks) and Amadeus Cho from Marvel (11 points for Outwit as a power action),

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
(not me or my picture, just some pic from Google)

There should be more gameplay pictures in this thread.

Edit: Using a plastic/glass cover on top of the map is genius.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
We have like 20 laminated maps at the venue where I play and it is loving worth it because we have 7 year old maps that still look like new even after massive amounts of play.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

This team really wants an open map, though, so you might want to consider sideboarding the duo and putting the merge pieces into play to get a themed team bonus. This also lets you squeeze some extra points out, meaning you can swap out the CW Wolverine for the WatX Gravity Feed Wolverine and still be able to merge into the duo later, while also bumping your build up to 398.

I'll second this. You can even make the Merge your very first action because theme is only checked when you reveal your force.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

I'll second this. You can even make the Merge your very first action because theme is only checked when you reveal your force.

What do you mean theme? Are we talking about the team abilities?

Also, does anybody know where I can get a cloth map? Seems like it would be the best option.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

What do you mean theme? Are we talking about the team abilities?

Also, does anybody know where I can get a cloth map? Seems like it would be the best option.
Not team abilities. We mean themed team bonuses. See page 23 of the rulebook. If you don't have a rulebook, see the OP for the link to download one.

What do you mean a "cloth map?" You mean like a piece of felt to put the map on so it doesn't slide around?

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

Not team abilities. We mean themed team bonuses. See page 23 of the rulebook. If you don't have a rulebook, see the OP for the link to download one.

What do you mean a "cloth map?" You mean like a piece of felt to put the map on so it doesn't slide around?

Like a regular Heroclix map that's printed on some cloth. So instead of having to unfold the paper one or dealing with a bulky laminate you could just roll a cloth one out.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Captain Satire posted:

Like a regular Heroclix map that's printed on some cloth. So instead of having to unfold the paper one or dealing with a bulky laminate you could just roll a cloth one out.
I don't think anyone's ever made one of those. The cost would be prohibitive -- map choice is a very big part of the early-game strategy, everyone doesn't just play on one map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Playing my first LoSH sealed tomorrow--any tips/tricks for sealed with this set anyone's picked up on?

• Locked thread