Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

Playing my first LoSH sealed tomorrow--any tips/tricks for sealed with this set anyone's picked up on?

Wildfire is an amazing piece that just won't die. TWO stop clicks with a native 18 Defense, Imperv, and awesome Regen means that you don't mind pushing him, and you can happily bait people to swing on him with their Super Strength alpha strike pieces. Yes, it's very impressive that you just did 7 damage to Wildfire. He still stops on clicks 4 and 8.

Run Science Police Officers if you can get them. Their damage special means you get to tag down Charge/RS/HSS pieces that swing within 8 of them, and with all the Wildcard pieces, PD is awesome, especially against pieces like Validus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Waffles Inc. posted:

Playing my first LoSH sealed tomorrow--any tips/tricks for sealed with this set anyone's picked up on?

From what I've seen, the top strategy is to pull the Emerald Empress. Barring that, pull Grundy.

If you're only using the Legion maps, you don't have to really sweat a theme team, as neither side really favors most figures. So, don't worry about breaking your Legion theme if you get something good to wildcard.

Sleeper hits for sealed -
Black Manta is an offensive powerhouse.
Amethyst and a taxi can remove a tentpole from the game.
If you pull a Science Police, play it and DO NOT forget what it does! Watching my players, I saw so many times when they could've done unavoidable damage, and their controller forgot to call it.
Tellus is amazing, if you pull him along with other Legion figures.
If you get Colossal Boy and Chameleon Girl, play them both. Cham is pretty awesome on her own, but together they get amazing.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I actually won the SLoSH tourney today (which never happens) because I was lucky enough to pull Takion and Cosmic Boy, and I ran Polar Boy and a Daemonite. Takion was a little trickier than I thought given that his HSS/PW range is only 2 (half of half), but he's still pretty effective. I got lucky that Darkseid whiffed when he had first shot so I was able to knock him down pretty hard, next game I had to wipe out Grundy's team and just dance around Grundy until time ran out, and the third game, the Daemonite came through (Takion took his first damage because of a slick Saturn Girl to Persuader MC I didn't see coming, although I was lucky Persuader rolled low for blades) with a huge 6 and 5 on BCF rolls to wipe out both SG and P and put the game in the bag - after he crushed Taryq or whatever that energey explody guy's name is.

Takion is good. Grundy is scary, but get him off his charge clicks ASAP and he's just this thing you can work around until its time to focus on him (but keep him away from hindering, too, so he doesn't heal back to those charge clicks). Darkseid would have DESTROYED me if he'd hit first, because on that Apokolips map, I had no way to close the distance where he COULDN'T get the first shot off. But if you can get the drop on him and get past those first few clicks of crazy D, you should be good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Steve Vader posted:

I actually won the SLoSH tourney today (which never happens) because I was lucky enough to pull Takion and Cosmic Boy, and I ran Polar Boy and a Daemonite. Takion was a little trickier than I thought given that his HSS/PW range is only 2 (half of half)
It's not, I checked the wording specifically when I saw Takion's power. HSS doesn't cut your range value in half, it lets you take a ranged combat action with your range halved as a free action during the move. Takion's pulse wave is instead of that ranged combat attack, so only the halving effect from the pulse wave applies.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CapnAndy posted:

It's not, I checked the wording specifically when I saw Takion's power. HSS doesn't cut your range value in half, it lets you take a ranged combat action with your range halved as a free action during the move. Takion's pulse wave is instead of that ranged combat attack, so only the halving effect from the pulse wave applies.

You still halve your range and then add whatever modifiers, then take whatever half of that is for your Pulse Wave AoE. See here for confirmation.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

You still halve your range and then add whatever modifiers, then take whatever half of that is for your Pulse Wave AoE. See here for confirmation.
They're arguing the wrong point and I'm going to contest it, but for now, yeah -- there's an orange ruling that makes his range 2, so it's 2.

It's a wrong ruling though.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I got my case of SLoSH from Coolstuff today, and good sweet god this set is insane. I'm only missing 9 out of the whole set (13 if you include the chases) though I'm disappointed that I did not get a Grundy and he's become the one piece I really want to get my hands on.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
A question about Cosmic Boy and Magnoball Champion: you can use TK up to 5 times by turn 2 if you Champion each turn, right?\

Also Mr. Miracle VS Mr. Miracle is the heroclix matchup from Hell

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 2, 2014

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Dre2Dee2 posted:

A question about Cosmic Boy and Magnoball Champion: you can use TK up to 5 times by turn 2 if you Champion each turn, right?\

Also Mr. Miracle VS Mr. Miracle is the heroclix matchup from Hell

Apparently the Magnoball Champion counts as using TK as a free action, so you can never exceed 4 TKs in two turns: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499534

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Sanschel posted:

Apparently the Magnoball Champion counts as using TK as a free action, so you can never exceed 4 TKs in two turns: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499534

Oh ok, so it's really more so you choose between TK + TK or ACTION + TK on your turn. That makes sense and it is horribly worded on his card :v

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Last night's game was 500 Golden where your team had to consist of characters from at least two universes. I ended up running an Animal team of Alyosha Kraven, Julie Newmar Catwoman, FF Cheetah, Automated Stallion, and NML Killer Croc with the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak. I learned that Croc, as he appeared, is indeed a superb alpha-strike figure with his up-front Exploit Weakness and choose-between-2d6 Blades, but when he gets hit he loses a lot of that utility. I gave well enough each game, but I still ended up going 0-3. Everybody got a Mother Box because apparently while the store ordered 3 prize kits they sent 4.

Next weekend is AvX month 3 (which I posted about earlier) but I also need to come up with a team for the week after, which is for GL Mon-El. It's 300 Modern and in honor of St. Patrick's Day at least one figure on your force build must be predominantly green in color. Tentatively IU've thought of the following GCPD abuse, as DC10 Lex Luthor is indeed primarily green.
pre:
D10A020	Lex Luthor	160
BCTV003	Robin		50
--ATA	GCPD		2
FI301	Splitlip	20
SLSH022	Gates		60
ASMS102	Doc Ock Arms	8
----------------------------
		Total	300
Gates teleports Lex, Splitlip, and Robin out by wildcarding GCPD, with Lex then moving out with GCPD and trying for the Arms. If he doesn't get it he can move back to Splitlip and Gates and let Robin move out and try. After this, Gates can bamf around with Lex for free while Lex keeps shooting. If I can keep it set up right, Lex can shoot and then have Gates provide evac for a run-and-gun strategy.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
1st AVX Month 3 today. Bring up to 300 points, get a booster and 2 gravity feeds, make a 400 point team. I went with cheese again.

Thor with Secret Avengers
Brother Voodoo
Jinx
30 point Loki
Astral Doctor Strange
Full Power Plant

As constructed. I added dawnstar from my pulls.

Round 1 I got the bye and played against Andy's team

Leatherback
Magik
Ladytron

We played on the limbo portal map. With dawnstar opening up all the lines of fire I was able to MC his leatherback many many times. With ring draining giving me outwit, leatherback'a special defense wasn't an issue.

Afterwards we ran a quick fun game with Andy doing full point Leatherback and Magik vs THE LEGION OF DOOM

FF Giganta
Lex Luthor
Cheetah
Bizarro at 25
Solomon Grundy
Riddler

I had a lot of outwit thanks to lex. I outwitted basically all of his powers and leatherback went down in a single round.

Round 2 vs

Silver Centurion with Infinity Gauntlet
75 point Wolverine
Daxamite

This was a tough game. Very hard to actually hurt Centruion. I also had some super lucky breaks as the Torpedo's hit on Voodoo was Sensed away. I didn't realize Daxamite had IT:Hindering and thankfully he missed voodoo as well. Tried to take a shot with Thor and the disintegration ring on centurion but it was SC'd away. Lost Loki but got a second shot on centurion with Thor as he hit a +1 click on the gauntlet. Made it a pulsewave even though it wouldn't hurt him as I just wanted to roll a 10 and melt that Goddamn gauntlet. Luckily I did, and from there it was outwit and shoot until win.

Round 3 vs

Lightning Lad
FI Wolverine
Scarlet Witch
Maggie Goon
Bane Thug

Very random hodgepodge which had no real synergy. It wasn't close, I only lost Loki.

3-0 and I have hope who is sadly terrible.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Had a sealed LoSH today and it was pretty fun.

I ended up playing

Orion - 150
Starman - 95
Sensor Girl - 75
Phantom Girl - 72

First Round vs

Universo
Kalibak
Phantom Girl
Black Manta

We played on Krakoa, which didn't really do very much. Opponent made a huge positioning blunder and I ended up critting Kalibak with Orion for 6 damage straight through and then took him down pretty soon after that. Then we danced a bit and I ended up taking it pretty easily.

Second Round vs

Bizzaro - 275
Science Cop
Polar Lad

This was pretty tense, as it was against a new-ish guy who isn't mean or anything, but he doesn't really shoot the poo poo with everyone between rounds and is always like, super intense and terse and whatnot. We did a lot of positioning while he was trying to get onto a hypersonic click, which allowed me to set up pretty well.

He finally tried attacking and crit missed with his cop, who I killed pretty quickly. Then, Sensor Girl stepped up to the plate and hit her shape change when Bizzaro finally attacked, and my opponent got a bit of tunnel vision and focused on her. I cleaned up Polar Boy while Sensor Girl hit two more shape changes. I ran for a bit and won on points. He was piiiiiiiiiised. Frankly, there was no way I was gonna stick around and try to knock Bizzaro down like 9 more tokens when I'm up on points even if he gets one of the gals, and he apparently thought running was "unfair".

Third Round vs

Barda/Miracle
Prime Cheetah
Toy Plane

This was super fun against one of my friends, and also it was just a good game. We got right into it as Phantom Girl and Sensor Girl duked it out with Cheetah and the Plane and Starman and Orion fighting the Duo fig. Barda/Miracle took out Starman and they took a psy blast from Orion before gimping Orion a bit so I ran off with him and started healing up. Finished off Cheetah and the Plane and went back and forth before it was down to just Orion and the Duo. They got down to their outwit and I whiffed the roll that would've won it.

Fun fun day of Clix, and Sensor Girl, while probably not good in any sort of constructed, was a sealed superstar for me. Loved her!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Afterwards we ran a quick fun game with Andy doing full point Leatherback and Magik vs THE LEGION OF DOOM

FF Giganta
Lex Luthor
Cheetah
Bizarro at 25
Solomon Grundy
Riddler

I had a lot of outwit thanks to lex. I outwitted basically all of his powers and leatherback went down in a single round.
Here is how that game went:

*Kaiju comes storming up through the swamp at Lex*
Lex: "Awww. That's adorable."
*Lex presses a button, Kaiju falls down dead*

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Chris Cooley is my Life Coach.
Could somebody explain to me what the typical tournament rules are? What's a "Sealed" tournament exactly?

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Satire posted:

Could somebody explain to me what the typical tournament rules are? What's a "Sealed" tournament exactly?

Sealed tournaments are ones where you buy a set number of boosters from the venue, open them, and build from what you pull.

As for typical tournament rules, it usually boils down to whether it's Sealed or Constructed. Constructed is where you make a build according to a predetermined build and bring it in.

Do you have any more specific questions about tournaments? Most of them will be handled by the judge or are primarily limited to build.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Sealed tournaments are ones where you buy a set number of boosters from the venue, open them, and build from what you pull.

As for typical tournament rules, it usually boils down to whether it's Sealed or Constructed. Constructed is where you make a build according to a predetermined build and bring it in.

Do you have any more specific questions about tournaments? Most of them will be handled by the judge or are primarily limited to build.

The sealed tournament seems like the best way to run game sessions without the dude spending hundreds of dollars on his clicks winning all the time.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Captain Satire posted:

The sealed tournament seems like the best way to run game sessions without the dude spending hundreds of dollars on his clicks winning all the time.

welllll the most expensive clicks aren't necessarily the best. In fact, they hardly, if ever, are.

Most likely the guy spending the most money isn't your venue's best player (in my experience, at least)

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

welllll the most expensive clicks aren't necessarily the best. In fact, they hardly, if ever, are.

Most likely the guy spending the most money isn't your venue's best player (in my experience, at least)

Yup. Right now the superman chase from LOSH is 70 bucks. He is only worth that price due to rarity rather then playability

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Morand posted:

Yup. Right now the superman chase from LOSH is 70 bucks. He is only worth that price due to rarity rather then playability

speaking of, i have one, and need to pay rent rent. pm me if anyone wants it!

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Morand posted:

What do you mean when you say chase? There's a ton of terms I'm completely unfamiliar with.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

What do you mean when you say chase? There's a ton of terms I'm completely unfamiliar with.

A chase figure is kinda like rarer then super rare. It's called a chase because the idea is that you will "chase" them and buy more boosters to get them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

There's six levels of rarity. Common, uncommon, rare, super-rare, chase, and limited edition. LEs are exclusively tournament prizes; the other five come in boosters. Chases are the rarest, running one chase figure per every twenty boosters.

For the record, commons are two per booster, uncommons are either 1 or 2 per booster, rares are 0 or 1 per booster, super-rares are one per every three or four boosters.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Thanks! That's much clearer now.

I got a White Witch in one of the three Slosh boosters I purchased today, so I'm happy with that, but really want Mon El.

Oh man, I just realised the Kalibak and the Orion (060)I got today are Chase rare too. Yay!

Captain Satire fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 3, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

Thanks! That's much clearer now.

I got a White Witch in one of the three Slosh boosters I purchased today, so I'm happy with that, but really want Mon El.

Oh man, I just realised the Kalibak and the Orion (060)I got today are Chase rare too. Yay!

Hooray for you! To add to what Andy said, there's another sort of sub-rarity that began in the Batman set. That's called a Prime figure. Each rarity level other than chase has one per set and they're denoted by a green ring on the base and being numbered 0XXb, with their non-prime counterparts being numbered 0XXa. In SLoSH, they're Mon-El, Cheetah (a counterpart to the other Cheetah), Edward Nigma, and Black Witch. Primes are limited to one prime per force, so your force couldn't include, say, Mon-El and Edward Nigma. Primes are designed to be more point-efficient, which likely means they figure the character's point cost and then knock some set percentage off of it. Some of them are absolute knockouts, like Brother Voodoo and Silver Centurion.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

Some of them are absolute knockouts, like Brother Voodoo and Silver Centurion.

I have heard that Silver Centurion is good. I'll redouble my efforts to get a Mon El.

Edit: Quick question, because the Legion team ability makes them wildcards, does that mean that so long as I include my Science Police Officer in my team they can all make use of the bonus when making a ranged attack?

So how does this 400 point Legion team sound?

Mon El 175
Cosmic Boy 90
White Witch 87
Science Police Officer 45
397 total

Captain Satire fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 3, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Had a sealed LoSH today and it was pretty fun.

You know, I didn't think I'd want anything from this set outside of the Fast Forces, but I really would like a Kalibak, and that Wildfire sounds really awesome.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

Edit: Quick question, because the Legion team ability makes them wildcards, does that mean that so long as I include my Science Police Officer in my team they can all make use of the bonus when making a ranged attack?
Yes and no. They're all wildcards, so they can all use the PD ability, but the ability still works the same way for them -- they've got to be next to the person making the ranged attack and have line of fire to the target. You can't get the bonus from halfway across the map, which is what I feel like you were assuming.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

Yes and no. They're all wildcards, so they can all use the PD ability, but the ability still works the same way for them -- they've got to be next to the person making the ranged attack and have line of fire to the target. You can't get the bonus from halfway across the map, which is what I feel like you were assuming.

Also, if someone KOs the Science Police Officer, it's goodbye PD team ability. You can't use a wildcarded team ability anymore as soon as there are no characters possessing it on the map. Note that "can use" is not the same as "possess." You can't wildcard a team ability from a character who "can use" that team ability. It has to either have it printed in its base or have some effect that says "Captain Example possesses the ___________ team ability."

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

This makes sense, but considering it's likely my clicks will be huddled around Mon El anyway I should be OK, yeah?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Captain Satire posted:

This makes sense, but considering it's likely my clicks will be huddled around Mon El anyway I should be OK, yeah?

Yeah you should be fine. Also remember that Mon-El's got the Superman Ally team ability, and the free action for a Wild Card to copy a team ability is one of the few times in this game when a free action to activate a single effect can be used more than once in a turn (usually its one-and-done like Outwit); so if you've got your three Legionnaires lined in a row to all take shots, the one making the attack can use Superman Ally while the one(s) next to them can use PD, and just have them switch as each one attacks.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Captain Satire posted:

Yeah, that would be fine. All your figures can copy the PD ability from the Science Officer, and then use it like they possessed it, until that Science Officer was KO'd.

Had a 600-point tournament yesterday with 50% Legion floor. I ran a Legion of Super-Heroes team, and had a great game against the Legion of Doom in round two. Lightning Lad opened the game with an unbelievable double Energy Explosion that KO'd 12 Toys in one shot, and then Solomon Grundy spent the next 45 minutes grinding the Legion into a fine paste. Lightning Lad kept missing his RCE shots, and Colossal Boy crit missed off from his Charge/4 damage click, so I just didn't have the damage output to finish him. KO'd him once, but he came back, then Regened up to top-dial and stayed there until time was called. It was pretty amazing... very fun, frustrating game on both sides of the table.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
Well, tomorrow is a sealed tournament for the power plant. I already have it. As of now it is buy one legion booster, make a 300 point team from that booster only. I have heard some concerns about a single legion booster not being able to make a 300 point team. Should I be worried? Especially as when something similar happened with SoG, it was only allowed to use figures you already own from the set, and I only bought a few singles online that won't be in until later (I really wasn't interested in much of this set).

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

At the risk of being a pest, I'm having trouble understanding what Keywords are for. Are they extra team abilities or something else?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Captain Satire posted:

At the risk of being a pest, I'm having trouble understanding what Keywords are for. Are they extra team abilities or something else?

Sometimes they're just fluff, especially when only a single character has a relevant keyword like Stormwatch. Sometimes a power will activate or get special bonuses when friendly or opposing figures have certain keywords; the new Tharok gets to use his Leadership on any figure with the Fatal Five keyword, even full point Validus who's a whopping 125 points more expensive than Tharok, or AvX Cable who reduces the attack value of opposing Avengers just by being on the map.

However their most common function is to provide themed teams, which is when every character on your force has at least one common keyword shared between them. You can find the specifics on page 23 of the Rule Book, but the short version is that if you meet the criteria for a themed team you will get a bonus to your map roll and get a small "pool" of Probability Controls to use under certain circumstances.

Don't worry about being a pest, this game can get pretty abstract at times and the best way to learn is to ask :)

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

To add to everything Sanschel said, they can also be used to activate extra Team Abilities known as Additional Team Abilities, or ATAs for short. This is something that will end up coming into play for you much later, but here's a pretty simple explanation of them.

How these work is that there are various ATAs that you can use on your force provided you have a character that has (one of) the Prerequisite Keyword(s). So, as an example, here is the Justice League ATA:

To use it, you need to have at least one character on your force with the Justice League Keyword. In addition to that, you have to pay 1 Point for each Character on your force with said Keyword to use it. So, let's say you have three Justice League Keyworded characters on your force. Using this ATA on that force would cost you 3 Points, 1 for each character with the Keyword. Once it's been paid for, all characters with that Keyword can use the ATA's ability IN ADDITION to any Team Abilities printed on their Base/Card.

There are three other simple things to note about ATAs:

- All ATAs can be copied by Wild Cards unless the ATA says otherwise.
- You cannot pick and choose who gets an ATA to save on points. You either pay the Point Cost for every qualifying character on your force, or you don't use the ATA. It's all or nothing.
- You can only have ONE ATA active on a Force. So, you can't use the Justice League ATA AND the Justice League: New 52 ATA on the same force. It's one or the other.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

Depends. I know the idea of giving everyone a 19 sounds awesome, but if you face a character with Energy Explosion and multiple bolts (easy to find nowadays thanks to the power plant) you could be in trouble.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Not to mention that while the idea of a mobile firing platform like that sounds awesome, in practice it's a pain in the rear end, because your opponent can very easily stay behind blocking, and repositioning that glob of dudes takes forever. Not to mention that Pulse Wave is just going to ignore all the fun bonuses that Mon-El gives.

I'd probably use a Mon-El glob to set up for an approach and then break to something more manageable if your opponent has a team that scatters well.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

I'm hearing a lot of people say that Cosmic Boy's multiple TKs is awesome. Could somebody please point out the strength of this?

With regards to TAs. Because White Witch is mystical, does that mean I can share that TA with my entire team of wildcard legionaries? I'm also having a hard time finding an official document stating what the mystical team ability does. It's an ATA, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
TK lets you move characters or objects, each within 8 of one another, and with line of fire to one another. It's awesome because he gets to do it twice, which means you sit a friendly on either side of him, and then he can TK them up to 8 squares ahead, one at a time, which drastically extends your flexibility when trying to set up a first strike, or get behind someone's defenses.

White Witch has the Mystical keyword, but she doesn't have the Mystics TA. Team Abilities are the symbols that appear on the back of the dial, and she has the Legion of Super Heroes TA.

• Locked thread