Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Well, now that the set's completely out, I've looked over the full list, and thankfully, there's really only three or four pieces I'd actually WANT. Grundy (for Grundy's sake), Stargirl (love me some Martial Artists. Still waiting from Street Fighter Set 2) and Lydea Mallor. The fourth would be Bizarro, but I just count him with the resat of the Legion of Doom in that I do want them (except not so much so for Toyman). Even more so now that I'm getting my hands on a Gentleman Ghost! I just love having fun with things. That's pretty much THE reason that I really love the fact that Duhg, as a piece, exists.

All that said, I really want that drat Mother Box. IT SHALL BE MINE.

Sanschel posted:

Also this one some dude's awesome booster.

Take three parts Triplicate Girl, mix well, add a dash of Gates for maximum Legion hilarity.

That is one of the best packs ever, comedy-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

Seymour Butts posted:

After examining the dial and the character card for two hours I just figured out that the colored block surrounding a number indicates a trait that corresponds with the card :downs:
I was just mindlessly reading the character card thinking those abilities could be used willy nilly.

So, two hours in, just learned how to read the dial :psyduck:

Traits (A Star on the base and card) are, in general, always active. The only powers you have access to are the ones showing on your current click, and only the specific powers for each slot, and any Special Powers (White Box with a Black Outline around the combat value) that are also on that current click. So, using the preview of the upcoming Days of Future Past Wolverine as an example...

He has a trait called Healing Factor which is always active, and on his first click he has access to the powers Precision Strike (Pink on Attack), Combat Reflexes (Lime Green on Defense), Empower (Pink on Damage), and a Special Power (White Box with Black Outline): Berserker Barrage which allows him to use the powers Charge, Flurry and Blades/Claws/Fangs. You do not have access to the Toughness that is listed on his card until it turns up on your current click.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Fritzler posted:

I'm moving (back to America!) after that weekend, so that's not a huge deal. Thanks for the advice everyone, it gave me some good ideas.

Real quick, on that note, I still have Groot for 'ya. Just get in touch with me when you get back to the US.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

To add to everything Sanschel said, they can also be used to activate extra Team Abilities known as Additional Team Abilities, or ATAs for short. This is something that will end up coming into play for you much later, but here's a pretty simple explanation of them.

How these work is that there are various ATAs that you can use on your force provided you have a character that has (one of) the Prerequisite Keyword(s). So, as an example, here is the Justice League ATA:

To use it, you need to have at least one character on your force with the Justice League Keyword. In addition to that, you have to pay 1 Point for each Character on your force with said Keyword to use it. So, let's say you have three Justice League Keyworded characters on your force. Using this ATA on that force would cost you 3 Points, 1 for each character with the Keyword. Once it's been paid for, all characters with that Keyword can use the ATA's ability IN ADDITION to any Team Abilities printed on their Base/Card.

There are three other simple things to note about ATAs:

- All ATAs can be copied by Wild Cards unless the ATA says otherwise.
- You cannot pick and choose who gets an ATA to save on points. You either pay the Point Cost for every qualifying character on your force, or you don't use the ATA. It's all or nothing.
- You can only have ONE ATA active on a Force. So, you can't use the Justice League ATA AND the Justice League: New 52 ATA on the same force. It's one or the other.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Captain Satire posted:

I'm hearing a lot of people say that Cosmic Boy's multiple TKs is awesome. Could somebody please point out the strength of this?

With regards to TAs. Because White Witch is mystical, does that mean I can share that TA with my entire team of wildcard legionaries? I'm also having a hard time finding an official document stating what the mystical team ability does. It's an ATA, yes?

Using TK (Telekinesis) allows you to move a friendly character into another position without having to give the moved character an action. It also allows you to move objects into opposing characters and try to move opposing characters as well, but the ability to (re)position your force is always a great utility. Being able to do it twice as a single action is, as such, always an amazing deal.

Also, Mystical is a Keyword, Mystics is a Team Ability. White Witch has the Mystical Keyword and the Legion of Super-Heroes Team Ability. A reminder that Team Abilities are on the back of a Character's base and on the Bottom-Left of the Character Card while Keywords are printed below the Character's Name on their Card.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Steve Vader posted:

Don't forget the Penguin resource!

Or the Batcave! :haw:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Morand posted:

Does anyone need a Solomon Grundy? I'm looking for any of the following:

Prime Cheetah
SR Superboy
SR Takion
White Witch (Would not be a 1-1 I'd toss in more)
Black Witch (Ditto)
Prime Cheetah
LE Mordu
LE Mon-El

I got your back. I ended up getting lucky with the pulls at my Sealed (even though I didn't play by choice due to low turnout and being late) since I got both Takion and White Witch. Keeping the Takion, but I'll trade the White Witch to 'ya. Just send me a PM and we'll take care of business.

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 15, 2014

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Steve Vader posted:

Also, came across Team Base Storm today and broke my brain trying to read this power:

LIGHTNING ATTENUATION: When Storm makes a ranged combat attack, her damage value is replaced with 9 minus the number of squares to the closest target character, maximum 4.

The way this is worded, the most you could subtract from her 9 damage is 4. Meaning if you were adjacent to her, she could do 8 damage to you. Between 4-8 squares away, she could do 5 damage to you. Someone tell me this has been eratta'd. This is the most poorly-worded power I've ever seen.

The Maximum 4 is for the Replacement Damage Value, not the maximum reduction to get the Replacement. You can't get more than the 4 Damage per shot without Perplexes and Enhancements.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

Where does Target even keep the things? I've seen them on the sportscard rack by the registers, by Magic cards in Toys, and in amongst the knock-off Lego stuff, as well as clearance aisles.

They're normally stocked where they would have all the Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon/Magic Cards up in the front next to the registers. But you can't actually ask THEM about those since they're actually stocked there by a separate company that just uses the space (If you look at the price tags or your receipt, some of them may say something like EXCELL. That's the supplier.), so they can't tell you when they might be getting more/any.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Seymour Butts posted:

Just picked up a couple Slosh boosters because I really want Solomon Grundy and Bizarro Superman. Instead got Colossal Boy, Universo, Mister Miracle, and Superma....boy? What the poo poo?

Guess what? The only Superman in the set is a Chase! :v:

quote:

Edit: has anyone made a cool celebrity theme team? What are the new rules regarding theme probs again?

Theme Teams are no longer tied to a minimum based on how many points the game is, so no more you need 6 Characters or 9 Characters (Named Keyword/Generic Keyword) for a Theme Team at 700-900 Points" and the like. The minimum is now just at least two characters on your force regardless of the game's point value or Keyword Type.

Theme Team Probability Control is also changed to be a Named Theme Team Only Bonus. So, Asgardians get it, Warriors don't. Justice League gets it, Mystical doesn't. And so on and so on. The number you get per game is also different. It's no longer tied to the multiples of 300 Points for the game. It's now equal to the number of Characters on your force, to a Maximum of how many Hundreds the game is. So, for example, in a 900 Point game, an Asgardian army with 12 pieces would get NINE uses of Theme Team Probability Control (12 Characters, maximum of nine Theme Probs at 900 Points), while an Elders of the Universe team with three characters in the same event would only get THREE uses (Same thing, three characters, but doesn't exceed the maximum of Nine at 900 Points).

In addition to that, Additional Team Abilities are also only usable when you have a Theme Team so, no more Thunderbolts abuse when it breaks theme.

So, all Generic Theme Teams get now is the Map Bonus and ability to use ATAs. That is, unless I forgot something, but I don't think I did.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Seymour Butts posted:

Does it come with the cards?

It would be stupid if they didn't since you need them to see what their Traits and Special Powers do, along with the Keywords that piece would have. Essentially, all sealed product comes with the cards. The exception to this is everything that came out BEFORE they added the Cards, so everything before Justice League, Avengers, and the Legion of Super-Heroes Starter. So, essentially, nothing you'll likely see on shelves nowadays.

Also, keep in mind that these are different dials than the ones in SLOSH, so it's not Orrazib Token Bizzaro and 200 Point Super Rare Grundy.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

Not necessarily. A shop local to me put out some Mutant Mayhem boosters, and Five Below sold some old old boosters for the longest time.

Hey, I said "Likely". But yeah, it's just old sets that didn't have Cards and such.

Seymour Butts posted:

Those are the ones I want!

Looks like you'll have to Trade for them or buy them. But that's not to say that the Fast Forces ones aren't bad. Just different.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

I'm honestly glad that I really only want one of the Con LEs this year (DOOP), but I'll likely be handing my judge $30 to maybe pick up Impossible Man and Resurrection Man. Now I just have to hope that the Keywords and Dials of the other 5 Con LEs don't interest me so I can just focus on getting the rest of this past year's. Still hoping to get that Old Man Logan, but mostly still want to get a Trinity of Sin.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Chumppell posted:

I was referring to the second part of the first paragraph, where he was talking about the KO healing dudes. Since it doesn't stipulate end of action, just when the guy is KO'd, it'd get ignored, right?

He did say that as well.

Torrent posted:

Correct. If you use Pulse Wave to KO a character with a "when this character in KO'd" effect, it doesn't go off unless it specifically cannot be ignored.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Damnit WizKids, now I need to get that Jonah Hex for both Duhg's Army and time hopping Gotham City teams. Traited Precision Strike with respectable stats all dial along with Indomitable, and the ability to generate a 10 ATK Support Piece whenever he feels like it (but only once).

Really loving that Doop though. Running Shot/Precision Strike is always nice, especially since he's the only one who can modify his Combat Values. You actually have to hit him 4 times to get rid of him, and just taking a resource/relic and giving it to a different opposing figure is quite nice. And not to mention that he's Tiny, so have fun trying to shoot him. He just seems fun to me.

Now I just have to hope that I don't want/need Whiplash or Amazo. Hopefully once Gen Con hits the relative values on Hex and Doop will drop a bit, making it a bit more reasonable to trade for them. I've managed to do pretty well getting Death Mask and Gentleman Ghost solely through trading. And due to a lack of figures I have that I'd be able to reliably use Gentleman Ghost with (Keywords man, KEYWORDS), he's likely to be the first on the chopping block to put towards Doop and Hex.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Alright, here's a rundown for you. First of all, they only recently started italicizing the Generic Keywords, but when when they weren't italicized, they were still Generic. They've just started doing it so it's easier to tell what's Named and what's Generic.

Named vs Generic Theme Teams changed with the new Rulebook changes. Using your examples, the team of 2 Characters with the X-Men Keyword would give you a +2 to your Map Roll at the start of the game and would also give you 2 uses of Theme Team Probability Control. The team of two Spies would only give you the +2 to Map Roll since Generic Theme Teams no longer get the Theme Team Probability Control uses.

To actually use your Theme Team Probs, you give a friendly character on your force (that isn't the attacker if it's your turn) a free action that gives an Action Token to use Probability Control. There are two caveats to this. The first being that the character using the Theme Prob can not be able to use Probability Control through another effect currently (characters with Trait Prob can't use Theme Probs, a character with Prob showing on their dial, either standard Prob or a Special Prob, can't use them), and the second is that you can't have a character that's already taken a Non-Free Action that turn use a Theme Prob.

The symbols on the back of a character's dial means they can use that Team Ability (or multiple if more then one appear). Also remember that while they may be referred to as Team Affiliations by some people/places, they absolutely do not tie into Theme Teams since you can have characters with the X-Men TA, yet they don't have the X-Men Keyword at all. Also that Keywords do not correlate to the ability to use Team Abilities. Simply put, if they have a Team Ability on the back of their dial, that piece can use it.

Another thing to remember is that some Team Abilities are Passive, while some are Activated. An example is that the Superman Ally Team Ability is always active when you're drawing Lines of Fire to characters. You don't declare that you're using it, it's just a passive ability. The X-Men TA on the other hand is an Activated one. You give the character that's using the Team Ability a Power Action to use it. You heal an adjacent Friendly Character that also has the X-Men TEAM ABILITY (not Keyword) of one damage, then you make the roll to see if the character that took the Power Action takes one Unavoidable Damage.

Now, the Legion of Superheroes Team Ability is what's known as a Wild Card Team Ability. How those work is that you can give them a Free Action to copy the Team Ability of another Friendly Character on your Force. So, in order to Wild Card into a Team Ability, you need to have a piece that naturally has the Team Ability you want to copy. So, using your example, a character with the LoSH Team Ability COULD copy the X-Men Team Ability to be able to use it, PROVIDED you have a character with the X-Men Team Ability on your force.

Additional Team Abilities are a whole other thing entirely. They are an additional Print & Play element that, with the new Rulebook changes, can only be used when you have a Theme Team. Named or Generic doesn't matter, you just have to have a Theme Team to use an Additional Team Ability. As an example, here's the X-Force ATA. You'll notice a Keyword and a Point Cost in addition to the ATA's effect. In order to use an ATA, you have to pay the Point Cost of the ATA itself for each character on your force that has the Keyword required to use the ATA. Additional Team Abilities are just that, Team Abilities that you can use IN ADDITION to any your character may already have. An ATA does not replace a character's printed Team Ability, and characters without Team Abilities may be given ATAs.

So, let's say you had a three character X-Men Theme Team. Two of the three characters on your force also have the X-Force Keyword in addition to the X-Men Keyword. You can then pay 3 Points for each character on your force with the X-Force Keyword to use the X-Force ATA on them. So, you would be paying 6 Points to have your two X-Force characters use the ATA, but keep in mind that you can not pick and choose who gets the ATA. So let's say you put together a 5 Character X-Force Theme Team and you wanted to use the X-Force ATA on it. You would have to pay 15 Points to have ALL of your force use the ATA, you can't just pay 6 Points to have two specific characters use the ATA while the others can't. They're essentially all or nothing, either everyone who can use it uses it, or nobody uses it.

There are two other things to keep in mind about Additional Team Abilities. The first is that you can only use ONE Additional Team Ability on a force even if you have multiple characters that have Keywords tied to ATAs. The second thing is that ATAs can be copied by Wild Cards on your force UNLESS THE ATA SAYS IT'S UNCOPYABLE.

That's pretty much everything tied to your questions unless I somehow missed something.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Seymour Butts posted:

Just got back from my first heroclix matches. Lost my first 3 matches and actually won the last match! The first game with my S.H.I.E.L.D. theme team didn't go so well because my opponent told me I couldn't use leadership to gain an extra action because in a 300 point game you can only have three actions. Is that true? He also told me my team wasn't a theme team (3 S.H.I.E.L.D. members and rare Winter Soldier) because all of my characters needed to share the same theme word. I kind of felt like a dick when I questioned him on both of these things, but didn't go to the extent of whipping out the rules to clear it up. He was a nice enough guy and he even gave me a map at the end of the night.

He was wrong about Leadership but right on the Theme Teams. A successful Leadership roll adds a Non-Free Action to your Action Pool, getting around the normal limit and can also remove a token from an adjacent friendly character with a lower point value than the character that used Leadership. The only way he'd have been right on the Leadership part is if the event was worded with a hard 3 Action Per Turn limit that ignores the Action Pool. But nobody really makes events like those.

Theme Teams only count if all your characters share a Keyword. One character without the Keyword on your force? You broke your Theme Team.

quote:

Last game he told me that I couldn't duo attack with Big Barda/Mr. Miracle because some reason and I thought that since I had no action tokens and there is a duo attack printed on the dial that I could. Not clear on that either. I was holding a heavy object and was planning on hitting him with that and then regular attack again. Goons?

He was lying once again. Unless he outwitted the Duo Attack Combat Ability, you could have. After all, Duo Attack is just a Power Action that lets you make two Attacks (Close or Ranged) as Free Actions, where you only possess one Target for the action.

EDIT: Yeah, I forgot about the fact that you might have been trying to use Duo Attack with another Power. It takes a Power Action to activate it, so, like Sanschel said, there's pretty much nothing it works with that isn't a passive power like Precision Strike or Steal Energy. But if you were already next to the character you wanted to attack, or you were going to shoot twice, you could have used Duo Attack.

quote:

This guy has tons of figures. He buys a case of pretty much every set and told me whatever I wanted he probably has. I ended up buying a Toyman with 4 toys for $20. He wanted $25, but that was too much. I probably overpaid a bit with $20, but hopefully I can get some other figures at a better deal in the future.

The going rate for Toyman + Teddy Bear seems to be around $13-$15 on average, and the other toys usually don't go for much at all, they tend to be considered throw-ins for the most part. So, unless you got a Teddy Bear and a Superman Action Figure with Toyman, you still overpaid a bit.

quote:

All in all, they were my first matches against a real opponent. When I become more familiar with the rules I'll be in a better position to hold my ground. He also played some pretty dick figures and gave himself like 5 probablities in a 300 point match, etc. In fact, after I told him that I was going to use a S.H.I.E.L.D. team he decided on using Scarlet Witch (on my first game ever, what an rear end in a top hat). I ended up beating him the last match when I played Superboy and Big Barda/Mr. Miracle. He prob'd me four times in a row and I had to roll above a 7 each time, finally hitting with 5/5 and a critical hit to KO his White Lantern or something. Hold that poo poo :D

Yeah, that's a bit of a dick move alright. I'd be careful around that guy. He seems more like one of those people who seems nice, but really just wants to fleece you. Acts the part, but may be a jerk behind it all.

drat Nate. 4 Clicks of UNCOUNTERABLE Leadership, Outwit, AND Prob? Sure, I'll take that push. Higher defense and Psy Blast with Prob and Outwit is nice. Just gotta lose these Shoulder Pads (Thanks 90s! :v:). A Special that grants some Improved Movement instead of starting with it or getting it naturally, not bad. And that Technopath Special combined with those bottom two clicks? Have fun hitting an effective 21/20 unless you want to get up close. Oh, and he can go on your AvX X-Men Team Base too. Because, why not.

$30-$40 Nate, here we come. :haw:

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 10, 2014

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Fritzler posted:

I'm liking the WoL previews, especially that Guy Gardner. I also like Rond Vandar, except why does he have stealth and ESD? Another power would be nicer there.

You know what always sucks? Getting shot at by a Stealth Buster when you have a squishy base defense value. It's like your only protection was the Stealth, so much for that. :v:

With a Stealth & ES/D Combo, you aren't as vulnerable when out in the open, and you also aren't a sitting duck against Stealth Busters. Really forces them to come to you with that combination.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Seymour Butts posted:

Bought three Invincible Iron Man booster's because I wanted a S.H.I.E.L.D. themed Iron Man and I wanted to pull Rescue to go with my Pepper Potts uncommon. I didn't get either, but I did pull three (3!) Grey Gargoyles. Seriously, one in every pack. Going to the comic book store tonight and I'm looking to trade my extra Bizarro and a Grey Gargoyle or two.

Grey Gargoyle seems like a really cool figure. He has a trait that says all adjacent opposing characters that clear their tokens can only clear one token. Add that to his plasticity and his damage ability that says he deals penetrating damage to adjacent characters with two tokens and he seems like a real dick to be based by.

In this same vein, what are some hard counters to plasticity? Obviously rolling a 6 is an automatic break away, but off the top of my head:
Phasing/Teleport
Force Blast
Leap/Climb (would the +2 to break away roll cancel out the -2 from plasticity)? 4, 5, or 6 works?
Hypersonic Speed (same question as above. +2 to initial breakway roll negates plasticity?)
Quake
Any ability or trait that grants knock-back

I'd actually be interested in that extra Bizzaro of yours and maybe a Grey Gargoyle provided you're okay with trading through the mail. You can send me a PM if you'd be interested.

When it comes to hard counters to Plasticity, it's down to just Phasing/Teleport and Improved Movement: Ignores Characters (along with being carried away and outwitting it). Everything else gets stuck thanks to it, or just counteracts the impact of it. After all, there are times where a Plasticity character will have Combat Reflexes, preventing the Knockback from happening at all, making Force Blast useless.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Seymour Butts posted:

What about Sidestep? Can you use sidestep to get away from plasticity?

As far as trading through the mail, I'm not opposed to it. I'll pm you later tonight when I get back from the game.

You can, but you still have to roll that 6. If it was an automatic break away, it'd be one of the best powers ever. I don't count additional chances to break away as Hard Counters. Only things that actually outright ignore it at all times.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Sadly, this isn't surprising in the least. WizKids' Release Dates are essentially Delay Announcement Dates. I'm so used to it now that I always think "The real release date is The Day I See The Product In My Local Store." It just feels like the regular routine. As much as it never should be.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

Okay, so I'd like to learn how to better use the Charge ability.

Here's a sample (but fake) game:

*Image Snip*

Doorman has just carried Doc Samson to his current spot.

And this is where you stop because everything after that is illegal since you can't give a character that was carried a Non-Free Action in the same turn. You CAN carry a character that has TAKEN a Non-Free Action though.

But enough semantics. This is a situation you wanted advice on. Well, here's what I think.

I (PERSONALLY) think the best possible option would have been to have Samson charge to the square in front of and between both Skullbuster and Pretty Boy. The reason for that is this. With Samson on his next to last click, he's pretty much doomed to be KO'd soon. So, you may as well send him out in a blaze of glory. Basing them both there gets you a line of sight for Flatman to use his Outwit special on both of them since neither of 'em has Stealth, and they're both below 100 Points. This means you could choose to Outwit Skullbuster's Toughness, then go in for the attack, OR charge first, and outwit his Indomitable to make your opponent question pushing him (unless they have good knowledge of his dial).

Essentially, while it seems like it'd be a good idea to try and take out Bonebreaker first, you have to realize that you opponent also has/had a Running Shot/Psychic Blast piece that could just run at and shoot Samson to death the very next turn...unless he was based or knocked off that PsyBlast (or had it countered).

Basically, you always have to weigh ALL of your choices. With my idea, you would charge into Skullbuster & Pretty Boy, basing both, and probably going with hitting Skullbuster, saving the Outwit from Flatman for whatever the attack's outcome would be. That way, if he hit, he'd take his lumps, and (looking at the dials) would lose his Running Shot and Psychic Blast. This would leave you with a choice on either outwitting Skullbuster's Indomitable or Pretty Boy's Leap/Climb to try to keep him next to Samson since he's clear. This would also force your opponent to try attacking Flatman to try and get back Skullbuster's Indomitable if he really wanted it.

Just keep in mind that Samson is essentially being thrown to the wolves in this scenario since Lady Deathstrike would clear after your opponent's turn and would just charge straight for the kill on Samson with that 11 Attack she has. Especially since Samson would either have 16 Defense if he didn't take a hit, or would get one last boost to 17 if he was hit for one damage through that Invulnerability.

Fake Edit: I mean, look above me. Everyone has their ideas on what would be best. But what it all really comes down to is what YOU think the best move would be and learning from your mistakes and successes. It's a learning experience after all, especially if you're playing with someone that's willing to talk about what potentially better moves could have happened over the course of the game. You just keep playing and trying until things click with you.

Hell, he even noticed something I forgot to take into account. Big Bertha being clear. You could also have gone with Torrent's idea of having Samson charge White King for the potential "Not Quite A KO", and have Bertha charge in front of Skullbuster and Pretty Boy, especially if you used Flatman's Outwit on Pretty Boy after charging White King with Samson to get rid of that Leap/Climb making it hard as all hell for them to break away from her Plasticity. This would leave Samson a turn to clear, and then Charge at Pretty Boy & Skullbuster the turn after while they're stuck with Big Bertha. And she's got Indomitable herself so she could have Flatman Outwit wither Skullbuster or Pretty Boy's defenses the next turn to try for a pure 2 damage, provided Bonebreaker wouldn't screw with lines of fire. But that's something you can't account for.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

What do you mean by potential theme prob from Pretty Boy?

And the logic here makes a ton of sense to me. Looking at the layout, I can't disagree - when Deathstrike can take an action, she's going to wipe out Samson.

The fact that Pretty Boy is completely clear and would have a clear line of sight to the attacker in any situation except the Samson -> White King scenario.

quote:

:psyduck: Son of a bitch. You always forget something with this game.

Well, you get these things burned into your brain after awhile. It just takes time and more games.

quote:

Interesting. Having Bertha set up Samson for a run after he (likely, we hope) takes care of White King sounds like a hell of a plan. Still, winning this game appears to be an uphill battle.

Learning this game obviously involves a ton of moving pieces (but a lot of good games do). The hardest part is trying to guess 1-3 turns ahead. Other than remembering all the rules.

Yeah, it really is an uphill fight since, once Samson bites it (which he will), your only attacker left is Big Bertha, and she tops out at 2 Damage. And let's not forget the most important fact here: Lady Deathstrike was still Top Dial. She is a murder machine when properly unleashed, and she'll eat the Great Lakes Avengers alive. Big Bertha's damage ignoring special is very very useful and the only way she can survive a fight for an extended period, especially against someone like Lady Deathstrike, so it's essentially hoping to hit those 5s and 6s be it Shape Change or her layers of fat.

And again, you'll learn things in time. You don't always need to plan things out turns upon turns ahead of time, but it's always a good idea to consider what your opponent may/can/will do in response to any/all of your moves. The good old Risk/Reward Ratio and such.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

Right, but why couldn't you start this turn with a leadership roll for that extra action, then roll for a 6 at the end to have a token removed from Panther?

Edit: Why can't you outwit Angrir's special abilities? In this case specifically, Charge?

The Leadership roll's token removal only applies to the start of the turn, and the Heroic Age ATA is still only a chance of removing a token, and that only happens immediately after making the Move Action. Essentially, with the number of characters on your force, you don't need to actually use your Leadership rolls unless you want to remove the Action Token at the start of the turn. Having a 6th Action in your Action Pool doesn't really mean anything if you only have 5 Characters in the first place.

You can't Outwit Angrir's Charge because it's part of his Trait. You can't outwit Traits.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

But Panther's trait allows him to make the token-removing roll separate from the ATA.

Let's take a look at Black Panther's Special.

King of Wakanda posted:

Black Panther can use Empower, Leadership, and Outwit. When he uses Leadership and the result is 6, in addition to the normal effects he may remove an action token from himself.

Note how the removal only applies when he uses Leadership,. You can only use Leadership as a Free Action at the beginning of your turn. So, you can't roll a 6 for his Leadership and "reserve" the Token Removal until the end of your turn. The token removal ONLY happens when Leadership is resolving at the beginning of your turn.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

How do you handle Nefaria? You still have two actions remaining.

Considering Nefaria's still on top dial, you have two options if you don't want to push Panther.

1) Keeping Nefaria tied to Panther: Outwit Nefaria's Hypersonic Speed and risk the 7 or Better to hit Black Panther. You should still have a Theme Team Probability Control usage left (and Black Panther can Prob it since he'll be clear), and Super Senses as well.

2) Minimize Potential Damage: Outwit Nefaria's Hypersonic Speed. This way, if he settles for punching Black Panther, it'll only be for 4 as opposed to 6, but he can still attempt the "Anything But A 1" Break Away Roll to use Hypersonic Speed. But since he can't pick up/hold objects, Nefaria's limited to his base 4 Damage.

This is all assuming you clear Black Panther.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

ility. A roll of 7 ensures the attack hits - even though Nefaria had the heavy object as hindering terrain. 4 clicks of damage, cut in half by invincibility.
- Black Widow has to Charge to use Mighty Stingers. An attack roll gets 7, which misses by 1 because of the heavy object's hindering terrain quality. I'll assume you'd want to use TTPC to allow her 11 attack to nail a 18 (+1) defense?

Right so far?

Wrong.

Characters DO NOT get the +1 Defense Hindering Bonus when being targted with a Close Combat Attack. The Hindering Bonus only applies to Ranged Attacks. The Hindering Bonus is also ignored if the Ranged Attacker ignores Hindering Terrain when drawing Lines of Fire. Either through Team Abilities that ignore Hindering (Superman Ally, Ultimates, Avengers Initiative), a Special Power or Trait, or Improved Targeting: Hindering Terrain.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

1. Oh, interesting, I thought he lost the ability after the white box for the damage number went away.

So Widow's BCF roll gets a 5. But now Nefaria has Invulnerability - so does that escape Iron Man's Outwit?

No, that's his Outwit/Empower/Leadership Special, not his Willpower granting.

And yes, Invulnerable is not Outwitted. You don't outwit a slot, you Outwit a power (or a Combat Ability), and only that chosen power (or Combat Ability) is outwitted until your next turn (or Outwit is lost).

Example: You outwit Invincible. You hit the character for 3 damage. The dial is clicked three times, over two clicks of Invulnerable and onto another click of Invincible. The Invincible is still countered, regardless of other defense powers showing up between the first click and the fourth. Now let's say the same thing happened, but you hit for 2 damage. This puts them on Invulnerable. You then attack with someone, and only deal 1 damage through the Invul. This puts them on that next Invincible click, and as before, it's still outwitted.

The only difference here, is that even if Nefaria was hit onto another Invinvible click, it would not be countered if he had that Damage Special on the same click since it grants Willpower, but also makes it so that his OTHER powers can't be countered. So if you wanted to counter one of his other powers, you'd have to Outwit that one first.

(Welp. Being beaten this badly is what I get for always wanting to type up examples. :v:)

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 23, 2014

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Red posted:

Now Cap gets a turn, and rolls with his 10 attack versus Nefaria's 17 (+1) defense. A roll of 9 means Nefaria takes 3 clicks of damage. According to Cap's special ability, he gets another free attack with 2 as the locked damage. A roll of 8 ensures it hits for 2 clicks, and Nefaria goes down like a ton of clix.

Is that all correct?

Wrong again. This time, with Cap's 2nd Attack. Here's the Special that grants that ability.

I'M PRETTY GOOD WITH THE SHIELD posted:

When Captain America makes a ranged combat attack and hits, after actions resolve, he may make a second ranged attack with a locked damage value of 2 as a free action. When he does, he draws lines of fire and counts range from the hit character's square.

You can't shoot the square "you" occupy. So since you're drawing a Line of Fire from Nefaria's square, you can't hit him again.

That is, unless I'm somehow wrong.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

I AM THE MOON posted:

You are wrong.

Huh. Oh well, can't always be right. :v:

But yeah, I always thought you couldn't shoot the square you "occupy", but, then again, you still technically draw a line of fire to yourself when you use Perplex on yourself. So, yeah, I see how you could still hit the same character with Cap's second attack. After all, you are just drawing a Line of Fire to " yourself" with the exception being that it's not you, but an opposing character.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Well, since I know how much we all care about Yu-Gi-Oh Clix (barely at all :v:), I figured I'd post the "good news". We now know the dials of the entire Series One set and the LE Figure.

Real talk, at least I only really want 8 pieces from the set due to Generic Keywords (one of which is the LE Celtic Guardian), but drat at that Chase Dark Magician. Mystic Box to switch places with any character withing Range & LOF that also deals 1 Unavoidable to the other character, and he's got Indomitable so he doesn't push for the Double Power Action. And then he gets to roll a die to use either Plex, Prob or Outwit. And if he's knocked off that top click, you get to pick ANY TWO Standard Attack Powers and use them for the turn.

I really can't think of anything else to say at the moment, but the dial list is complete.

Also, apparently Series Two is going to actually be MANAGEABLE. a 20 Piece Set that still uses the C/U/R/SR/Chase breakdown. And this: 8/5/3/2/2 is the supposed Rarity Breakdown as well. So, yeah, things are pretty stupid considering they throw a 5 Figure Booster set into a Gravity Feed, then give us a normal Gravity Feed AFTERWARDS. And I'm STILL waiting for my second Street Fighter Set...

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Hey Fritzler, I just remembered. I still have that Groot if you still want him. Just let me know if you do.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

it's basically the fact that it's A Gravity Feed Generic that is more than just effective considering what the dial costs you (50 Points). You have a top click with great stats at the point range (10/3 with Exploit Weakness and a 17 Defense with Willpower), the means to potentially get out of multiple tight spots with the Trait that triggers in Hindering at the end of your turn, and the potential to take any one power of a character it KOed that cost more points than it. Those are all in addition to the Stealth it's got for it's whole dial, the Hydra TA to make shooting easier, and the fact that it would also have access to The Hand ATA thanks to the Keyword (although, only for The Hand, HYDRA and Martial Artist Theme Teams thanks to the new rules).

But yeah, demand for these guys may go up, or it may go down. Hell, it could just stay at the $5-6 mark thanks to being a GOOD Gravity Feed Generic in the first place.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Morand posted:

Tomorrow is 1,000 points silver age. I am pretty sure I am being an rear end in a top hat by playing the following even though I will likely get smoked.

Zombie Juggernaut
Zombie Goblin
Zombie Electro
Zombie Doc Ock
M&M Zombie Giant-Man
M&M Zombie Iron-Man
SN Hulk
SN Wolverine
SN Spider-Man
SN Colonel America

Original Sinister Six on Goblin, Electro, and Doc

I have enough points for a belt as well. Thinking about tossing it on electro.

:stare:

You Zombie having son-of-a-bitch, yes you are. Have fun though! :v:

On a different note, here's the Star Sapphire Ring and Power Battery.

The Power Battery is pretty simple, giving each Corps(wo)man +1 Range for each opposing character they can draw a Line of Fire to, but man, that ring. 8 Points to grant both Mystics and uncounterable Shape Change. Why must we hurt the ones we "love" indeed.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Morand posted:

I just checked some DC#'s and found out that Venom, Sabretooth, and Kingpin are coming in today. I am torn.

I have solved your "problem" for you. Drop the MuMo Zombies, use Kingpin (Clone all that food) and Sabretooth (Just a solid attacker), forget the Utility Belt. 999 Points.

Alternatively, you use Venom instead of Sabretooth for 972 Points after giving Venom the Original Sinister Six ATA. That would leave room for either The Book (999 Points for 7 Hammers), the Power Plant (1000 Exact with 9 Rings), or the Belt (986 Points after full Belt) if you so wish.

Either way, you're still getting a +10 to your Map Roll through your 10 Monster Zombies.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Hinoarashi posted:

My War of Light Month 1 sealed is tomorrow and I am painfully unprepared. Any tips/tricks I should aware of. I was told fielding HSS is huge.

Weaponer + TK > Weaponer > *

Also, if you win the Map Roll, make sure you pass on Turn 1 in a Weaponer Mirror Match. You will need the Alpha Strike and the ability to act/attack with him two turns in a row. Also, pack an Ultra Heavy for Weaponer to pick up by choosing Super Strength. He's got that Top Dial Exploit after all. Just make sure that if you don't get a TKer, pack him with a Sinestro Corps Recruit if you pull one, or any of the various Fliers to get him into place quicker. But really, hope you get a TK Piece as well.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Sanschel posted:

A question that came up last week concerning opposing players each with a Copycat: how does that play out exactly? From what a brief Rules forum search came up with, it looks like Player 1 could steal Player 2's Copycat, then use the second Copycat to steal a different figure from Player 2's team, and Player 2 would be unable to steal as both Copycats have had their Traits activated. Was this correct?

Copycat can't take Copycat anymore.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Eckertmania posted:

You only can't make the second attack if you lose the power before the second attack is made.

Actually, I think they changed it so that even if you lose Flurry through Mystics or a Crit Miss, you still make the second attack.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Well, this pretty much guarantees I'll never play in Worlds. Although it does mean I won't have to try juggling HeroClix and UFS when I eventually go to GenCon. Only time will tell how this goes in the long run though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

I'm personally considering cutting back heavily, and potentially quitting, to save myself some storage space and cash. While I don't have anywhere near as much good stuff as ShowTime is selling for his friend (nd nothing GOOD from War of Light, onlly thing above a Rare I pulled was First Lantern), you guys will/would get first dibs on anything I'd potentially be selling.

Essentially, the most notable stuff I still have is a full Power plant, a couple Chases that aren't a big deal anymore because they're Not The Zombies (barely got any Deadpool, and only ONE pack of GotG so far), and other assorted bits and bobs throughout the game. Like the complete COMPLETE Fear Itself set with LEs and everything from GSX minus the Colossals and Con LE Horsemen.

On the topic of what IS being sold though, I'd be interested in a Impossible Man and Resurrection Man provided the values wouldn't be inflated to stupid levels.

• Locked thread