Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

[EDIT: I've updated some of the information in this OP.]

What is HeroClix?

HeroClix is a licensed collectible miniatures game of superhero combat. It has three main "universes," which are Marvel, DC, and Indy. Indy is basically a catchall for anything that isn't owned by the Big Two, such as characters like Hellboy, Witchblade, and Danger Girl. Indy hasn't had a release of any kind since 2008 (2007?) with the Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. Action Pack. There's also a sort of a sort of scattered "other" universe, with Street Fighter, Star Trek, and other licensed material. The universes are all playable with each other because it's all one unified game system, so yes, you can play Superman, Wolverine, and Hellboy all on the same team. Now you can even throw in Master Chief, Gandalf, M. Bison, the starship Enterprise, and maybe even Hello Kitty (we're not sure yet)! It was produced by Wizkids Games, which Hasbro bought, ran for a couple years, then abruptly shut down in late 2008 despite HeroClix being a cash cow. NECA bought the assets of WizKids and brought the game back with the Hammer of Thor release, which came out in November 2009 to much fanfare of HeroClix players.

Over the years it's evolved from being pretty simple— with the philosophy that everything you need to know about the figure is on its base and dial— to being pretty complex. The Mutant Mayhem set (released in 2004) introduced Feats and Battlefield Conditions, which give figures special abilities (or change the way their existing abilities work) or change how the game works for everybody, respectively. The Fantastic Forces set (2005) also added giants (tall characters who can punch two squares away; they technically debuted in Mutant Mayhem with Giant-Man), double-based figures (who take up two squares instead of one), transporters (who can carry other figures even if they wouldn't otherwise be able to), and duo figures (representing a close team, like Hawk & Dove, Batman & Robin, or Cap & Bucky) which all come with their own special sets of rules via combat abilities granted by the combat symbols that make them special.

As of the release of the Avengers set and Legion of Super-Heroes starter (late summer of 2007), figures now have character cards, which have enabled special powers and "keywords," around which players can build teams that are themed around something about the characters they're using. This could be as readily-identifiable (a "Named" keyword) as the character's team affiliation(s) or background such as Avengers or Kryptonian, or it could be something simpler and more broad (a "Generic" keyword), like "Scientist," "Politician," or "Ruler." The rulebook has a list of the Generic keywords.

It seems now with every couple standard booster releases we get a new mechanic of some kind with no signs of slowing down on it. Lord of the Rings gave us Horde Tokens, Batman gave us vehicles, and the Teen Titans set gave us team bases, which allow you to play a cognizable team not just as a themed team but as essentially a single character, like the Justice League or the Shi'ar Imperial Guard. Everything seems at first like it's horribly broken and the thing that's finally going to ruin HeroClix, but players eventually learn to deal with it and form strategies to which the new "broken" thing is vulnerable.

It bears mentioning that you absolutely need the current rules [:siren: currently 2014], especially a copy of the Powers and Abilities Card. I keep seeing people using old PACs so they know which powers are which and using an old one is fine for at least that. However, in the 2013 rules they added pink powers which won't be on old PACs, plus the wording on existing powers isn't current. I repeat, DO NOT use an old Powers and Abilities Card for reference. The link below lets you download it for free. Print that off and use it. They changed a LOT of things in the 2013 PAC, but not so many in the rulebook, attempting to rebalance powers so they'd all be useful, so as of 2013 it's turned into a whole new ballgame in terms of figure utility. Lots of old figures become dynamite under the new rules where before they were maybe sort of O.K. It also helped some old crap figures become at least playable.

What do I need?

Obviously, you need the figures. To be more helpful, like in pretty much any other miniatures game you build to a certain point total, the default of which is 300 in organized tournaments (discussed below). The best way to just be able to learn how to play the game is to get some figures and assemble them into a couple teams of equal point value. This will be easiest if you get the Man of Steel starter, or maybe another one if you can find it. A Fast Forces pack is not a starter. It comes with figures and a map, yes, but it doesn't include rules, object tokens, or anything like that. The big advantage is that they're cheaper and you can download the rulebook and PAC as well as object tokens from the print-and-play section (more on that later).

Other than starters and Fast Forces packs, figures tend to come in either 5-figure boosters or single-figure packs from a type of display known as either "gravity feed" (GF) or "countertop display" (CTD). Both are essentially the same thing, just with a slightly different method of physical delivery of the single boosters. Some sets only come as a GF/CTD. These are typically the smaller sets like Lord of the Rings or :black101:Iron Maiden:black101:. Yes, you read that right: Iron Maiden HeroClix, a 9-figure gravity-feed set of the various incarnations of Eddie from album covers. The sculpts look like rear end but the dials are pretty good. Some CTDs are a "primer display" that comes out two weeks ahead of the main set. Primers are a sort of sub-set with collector's numbers of 201-210, using the same sculpts but different stats.

Buying a starter (for the 2014 rules: the Captain America: the Winter Soldier starter was the first, and later Guardians of the Galaxy Movie) will give you the most recent rulebook and Powers & Abilities Card— a.k.a. the PAC— which explains what all the little colored boxes mean depending which slot they're in. [EDIT: Apparently while both of these have the rulebook, the CA:tWS one didn't have the PAC and I've seen reports that the GOtGM one was missing it as well.] You'll also get maps, which are pretty critical for playing the game. Having the most recent rules is important because they can evolve pretty sharply in particular aspects between sets, such as giants did when the last rulebook came out. You also get a map (you need these to play), dice, terrain markers, and you used to get a ring for turning the bases, which except for the first couple Marvel as well as all the NECA-era (except for the LoSH starter and Avengers) sets turn by little ridges on the bottom of the base, though some turn by holding the figure and rotating the dial with an outer ring on the base (the "cup-style" base). Some figures from sets with the bottom-turning bases have cup bases with colors other than black, but this is because of the now-obsolete Archenemy mechanic. Note that as of the Superman set they've moved to the seemingly far-superior "Oreo-style" bases, where you hold the top half of the base and turn the bottom.

A particularly good resource, once you've got your head wrapped around the rudiments of the game, is the Player's Guide. The Rules Arbitrator (despite the title, he only passes along rulings), maintains the document. It's a comprehensive guide to the rules, encompassing the FAQ, errata, and rulings. It updates the wording on absolutely everything in the game and is a great resource with answers to almost any question you could think of. Even better, though, is that it tries to teach you how to figure things out yourself, like if Power X and Power Y can be used in conjunction with each other. You can get the Core Rulebook, the PAC, Comprehensive Tournament Rules, and the Player's Guide (get the Golden Age guide because it'll contain information going back to the very first set) for free on the Wizkids download page. However, the most recent (as of the posting of this iteration of the thread) Player's Guide is only available in its component sections via the HeroClix Rules Downloads page. The new format should make updates much faster. [EDIT: It hasn't.]

Finally— and this is important if you're going to play really old figures— you can get the document that gives keywords to the figures predating character cards here.

Note: The Rules Arbitrator and his official Deputies make and communicate rulings in the HeroClix Rules Discussion forum on HCRealms.com. If you go in there please— for the love of Shaft— use the Search feature at the top before posting. They moderate it about as well as Wizkids did (I once saw nine threads on the first page of their rules forum on the same topic), but I think people aren't so retarded over on HCRealms in that regard. They do, though, tend to be a bunch of Chicken Littles and negative Nancies with their "______ is killing HeroClix" attitude. Wizkids no longer has forums of its own, instead making HCRealms essentially the unofficial offical communication channel.

Edit: The above is no longer true. The Deputies have pulled out of HCRealms entirely and now post on a single account (which sometimes conflicts itself as a result) on the new WizKids Rules Forums. However, existing HCR forum rulings stand unless later contradicted.

Where do I play?

You can, of course, play at home. However, that might be a bit of a challenge. Check with your local game or comic book store (basically, wherever you buy the figures, assuming you do so at retail) to see if they hold Organized Play (OP) tournaments. Wizkids has set up an event system to help you find local venues at https://www.wizkidseventsystem.com. One of the best ways to learn the game is to get your rear end kicked over and over again. This teaches you tactics, though you should make sure you at least know the basics— turn sequence, line of fire, how powers and team abilities work and interact [ClownNote: especially the power interactions— DEAR SHAFT, the power interactions are a must-know], etc.— first. Tournaments will allow you to both learn the finer points of the game and find people to play and trade with. Try to make sure you read the Player's Guide entries for any figures, feats, etc. you plan on using so you're at least familiar with them. If you have a smartphone, bring the Player's Guide with you on it in case you need it, but don't look everything up on it. Technically, you're not supposed to use electronic devices at tournaments anyway. You can generally trust your opponent. There's also a good free Android app called HeroClix Rules, but it's third-party and not official.

In late 2011, Wizkids began "Storyline" organized play, which are tournaments themed around a particular storyline. The first of these was Infinity Gauntlet, which gave players the Infinity Gauntlet resource, which was a new type of game element at the time. Each month players got one of the Infinity Gems to go on the Gauntlet. After that was the No Man's Land event, which gave players the Utility Belt and various items for it along with a couple costumes for the Belt's costume slot. Fear Itself was the first time they had boosters that were specifically for OP use. The current event is War of Light, which is _____ Lantern-based and gives out the various Corps rings in boosters like the Invincible Iron Man set did with the Rings of the Mandarin. Each Corps also has its own central battery as a resource, but the Green one is the only one you get just for participating. You have to buy the rest in paired kits, with Black/White as a con exclusive. They seem to want to move toward supporting storyline play more as the events have a higher proportion of sealed (at least as WK suggests), so they've been shrinking the contents of the standard OP prize kits.

What's coming up?
Most recently we've had the release of Batman Classic TV (a small set of Adam West Batman), Thor: the Dark World, Batman: Arkham Origins, Invincible Iron Man, the AvX event, and the primer display for Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes, which releases the week of this post and was supposed to come out two weeks ago. The Man of Steel starter (which honestly wasn't really that good) has the current Rulebook and PAC, so you should probably pick that up if you don't want to run those off on your own, plus it has a map. If you play in AvX, you'll need to pick up one of the two faction starters, so you'll get a rulebook and PAC that way too.

From Torrent, here's what's coming up (including special events) at the time of this posting. Note that we're not necessarily sure if Hello Kitty and The Nightmare Before Christmas are Clix or not. Dates aren't merely subject to change— you should assume they will, probably with little if any notice because Wizkids these days has the communication skills of Helen Keller with a broken hand. Some sets have what's called a CTD "primer display" that comes out two weeks ahead of the 5-figure boosters.

quote:

February
• Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes (with Fast Forces: Legion of Doom)

March
• Winter Soldier movie set

April
• Days of Future Past and accompanying Sentinel pack
• Yu-Gi-Oh (unless it gets delayed again)

May
• Deadpool (with Fast Forces: Thunderbolts)

June
• War of Light storyline event and accompanying OP booster set
• Return of the King

July
• Guardians of the Galaxy movie set

August
• World Championships
• Guardians of the Galaxy comic set

Fall 2014
• The Flash booster set
• Yu-Gi-Oh series 2
• Yu-Gi-Oh Battle of the Millennium OP storyline event

Unknown
• Hello Kitty
• Nightmare Before Christmas

So why this thread?

There are a good number of HeroClix-playing goons here in BSS, so this is a thread for us to discuss the game. Join in! Inkslinger is Seth Johnson, who used to be the lead game designer for HeroClix under Wizkids and came back into the fold for a few sets under Wizkids/NECA. Don't ask him a bunch of "why" questions, like "Why did you give Figure X this power?" or the like, because he doesn't answer those for various reasons. Morand's an excellent player (and :siren:the 2011 and 2013 REPEAT WORLD CHAMPION:siren:). Steve Vader's got some bizarre obsession with Bi-Beast, who he finally got way back in Hammer of Thor. Sanschel is pretty active in these threads, as is CapnAndy, who plays against Morand regularly. Torrent gets to help with judging at Worlds. I live in South Dakota and I'm too broke to go to GenCon and thus can't make Worlds (edit: now at Origins in the future, apparently). I'm the one who always starts these threads. Come and join us!

Just as a final note, this game is not like Magic. Sure, there are some team builds that work very well, but the game is played at varying point levels and in either Modern Age (what Magic would call "Standard", where sets past a certain point are retired and there are no bystander tokens, special object tokens, feats, or battlefield conditions allowed) or Golden Age, where anything goes except the ships of Star Trek: Tactics (for some reason). There really is no standard killer build. It all depends on what your venue plays in a given week, plus the release schedule means the metagame can change significantly every couple months. Also, the Units section of HCRealms lets you search characters and build teams. It's quite useful.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Reserved space here

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Personally, I don't use a binder. I use a two-drawer file card container, alphabetized with dividers by letter. Recently I made my own sub-dividers for letters I have a lot of, like B and M. Having a file card container makes it much easier to insert new cards without having to rearrange everything.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Just a storage tub from Target. I have a decent collection of Clix, but they all fit. I don't worry about them rubbing against each other (and removing paint) because they stay in one spot. Stilt-Man goes in a little baggie, though.

The Frost Giant I have is nice enough that that should be up somewhere, though.

I'd like to see others' storage options that are space-friendly, and keep the pieces protected.

I use the 3" Plano Deep Stowaway (model # 2-3730-04). This also seems to be it. Menards seems to be the only place I can just walk right in and buy one anymore. It was hard even finding this model online. AMAZON didn't even have them. If Menards stops carrying them I'll have to start just ordering them directly from Plano, who I hope never stops making them. They fit every single- or peanut-based character I have other than Devil Dinosaur & Moon Boy. With Validus, that'll likely change if I get him. I also have a different tacklebox (I don't know the model offhand) that I use for taking my teams to events and carrying other stuff (like poker chips for action tokens, my objects, resources, etc.).

Edit: to add to what Morand said:

Step 5: Download the Player's Guide (current link in the OP) to understand rules questions you'll have after Step 2. It also has errata, which are betting increasingly plentiful as Wizkids knows full well that low quality is still quality and designs/writes/prints accordingly.
Step 6: :psyduck: at the Player's Guide
Step 7: Get your rear end kicked in several games to learn strategy and rules.
Step 8: Get good at HeroClix
Somewhere in there: Ditch your sanity because this game can get crazy complicated sometimes. Instead of a set list, I may use the second post for common rules questions.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 24, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Hm- how does that Growing Darkness trait work with the Phoenix Force? Does the PF player get to put fragments on their characters first, or does the GD character get to steal them first?

The fragments are placed on the characters first. You place them when placing characters in their starting areas. "At the beginning of the game" happens just prior to Player 1 taking his first turn.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I don't know that the item in the costume slot counts as a relic, though. At least this is going to lead to them being more clear about when something attached to a resource is itself a resource vs. being a relic.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Looking it over again, you can definitely yank the Cowl of the Belt because it just says "game element." I think it's still up in the air as to if you can assign it to one of your own characters.

Edit: I also looked over the dials and HOLY poo poo that Persuader is every bit as mean for his day as the original was. Why do I have to want so many Super Rares from this set already?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 25, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

You know, looking over it all again it's funny. They had to bill the set as Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes for it to sell, but the only Superman in it is a chase unless the Superboy's Clark instead of Connor. I like how they did some of the Legionnaires even though I don't really know much about practically any of them. I particularly like Colossal Boy and— though she doesn't bring much the table offensively— Shadow Lass. They really seem to have made the Fatal Five truly dangerous in the spirit of their original versions. Until I looked at this I'd forgotten about Emerald Empress and how utterly badass she is.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Welp, it looks like the only way to get Teddy Bears is to pull Toyman, since it's packed in with him and classed as an SR. :argh:

On the bright side, I have enough toy cars to start a miniature Nascar.

What's the toy frequency and do they take up a slot? If so, which rarity?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Now that we've seen the maps and know they're a lot of elevated terrain, it looks like close combat is going to rule the roost with AvX month 3. Here's a team I'm looking at running. Ant-Man and Captain America can fly thanks to Fragments and Spider-Man has IM: Hindering/Elevated/Outdoor Blocking/Characters. Scarlet Witch can phase, though with limited LoF I wonder if maybe I should skip using her altogether. It's a gamble that could pay off as I don't see a lot of TAs I'll need to nuke.

The format is 700 points, Marvel only, any carded set is legal but at least one character must come from your faction's starter. I'm Avengers. The only resources allowed are the Infinity Gauntlet, Power Plant, and Phoenix Force. If you run a themed team of either Avengers or X-Men you get 2 extra points toward your AvX storyline standing. Colossals and team bases are allowed with certain restrictions, but I don't have any I'd bother to use or even can if I want to run theme.

The strategy behind the build is that Ant-Man lends Cap his 20 Defense, with Cap bumping it up situationally by another 2 so that ideally I'm making any attackers try to hit a 22 Defense.
pre:
CW173	Ant-Man			75
	Fragment- Colossus
AVX007	Black Panther		100
AVX006	Scarlet Witch		100
AVX001	Captain America		200
	Fragment- Cyclops
AVX004	Spider-Man		125
AVM208	Hawkeye			65
	The Phoenix Force	12
	3 fragments		9
	2 assigned characters	6
-----------------------------------
			Total:	692
In fact, here's a build without Wanda.
pre:
CW173	Ant-Man			75
	Fragment- Colossus
AVX007	Black Panther		100
AVX001	Captain America		200
	Fragment- Cyclops
AVX004	Spider-Man		125
FI018	Iron Fist		94
CW030	Wasp			77
	The Phoenix Force	12
	3 fragments		9
	2 assigned characters	6
-----------------------------------
			Total:	698

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 26, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

According to today's preview of Gaia the Dragon Champion they seem to have pushed the Yu-Gi-Oh release to April. I wonder what happened.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

Allow me to christen the new thread with the very first "gently caress you, Yu-Gi-Oh".

Because gently caress you, Yu-Gi-Oh.

"gently caress you-Gi-Oh," if you will.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Looking at the maps and all their elevated, would it or would it not be a good idea to run AvX Iron Man (with Perplex support for his AV, obviously) and maybe even say "gently caress theme" and run both him and Blastaar?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I got another idea for AvX3 Saturday. With as much elevated as those maps have, knockback is going to be ridiculous. As such, AvX Iron Man might actually have some use. I thought of a team to use him. It also includes Blastaar! With Green Scar I figure if I get in close I can let him take a hit to maybe put him onto his 12 Attack/4 Damage with Exploit Weakness click. Sure, his Defense value tanks, but I can expect people not knowing how to deal with him because a lot of people there weren't even playing when Mutations & Monsters came out. The ones that were probably don't remember his dial very well. The Fragment lets him fly. I wonder if the idea wouldn't work better switching his and Iron Man's Fragments around, given that Green Scar's going to be in more lines of fire as a close combat piece and thus keeping some protection with Colossus's Fragment in case of Outwit. Oracle's there to provide dual Barrier and Prob Control duty. Starter Killian gives Sharpshooter and can help Iron Man and/or Blastaar hit with his HYDRA TA coupled with Perplex.
pre:
AVX002	Iron Man	150
  Secret Avengers	5
	Fragment- Colossus
GG023	Blastaar	158
	Fragment- Cyclops
IM3103	Killian		75
WXM005	Oracle		49
MU033	Green Scar	230
	Fragment- Namor
	Phoenix Force	12
	3 characters	9
	3 fragments	9
Edit: Well, crap. I just looked and AvX3 is next week, not this week. Well, more time to plan, I guess!

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 28, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

DoFP Professor X is up. He's 150 points and has IT: Hindering/Elevated/Blocking/Characters with an 8 Range and Sharpshooter. I don't know about him. He might surprise me, but I think he's overcosted.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Fritzler posted:

Forge is the first listed figure there! But hmm, maybe I will look into a team with Cyclops. Maybe I will just say gently caress it to theme team and run AvX Magneto (200), AvX Scarlet Witch (100), and AvX Cyclops (100).

Given all the blocking terrain you could try this if you're willing to forego theme. You'd have 20 points left over to play around with.
pre:
WXM033	Forge		90
WXM017	Jean Grey	40
IIM001	Iron Man	150
AvX009	Cyclops		100
20 points for whatever

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Note that Magneto is going to be really good in Month 3 because of the maps. They have a lot of elevated making it much easier to get single-target Pulse Waves off.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

My workmates and I are completely new to the game, so we might be missing something, but can my friend's Donald Blake seriously push himself to his second click and transform into a 200 point Thor? He doesn't have to pay Thor's cost coming into the game?

Is that nuts or am I missing something?

The way Alter Ego works is that the replacement character (in this case Thor) comes in on its orange starting line and can't be healed past that line. You can never heal past a starting line unless something explicitly says you can, and even then ONLY in that specific way (like vampires and using Steal Energy). Thor is worth the point cost of the replaced character (33 in this case) when KOed. You don't get to stamp the walking stick and have Thor come in full-strength and pissed off. Remember, though, that you have to give an action specifically to activate Alter Ego. You can't have it activate off a power action given for some other purpose.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

Ah, I see. The Thor comes out with only two or three clicks remaining. I guess that balances it.

I'm building an Xmen team around my GSX Cyclops and am thinking about including the GSW Colossus / Wolverine combo but can't decide what two pieces I want to split them into. Any tips on high-value Xmen pieces would be appreciated.

Which versions of Colossus and Wolverine do you have?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Fritzler posted:

Quick question on Cyclops/Iron Man. If they attack a character through a wall, that character can't use probability control, because they don't have a line of sight, and the wall isn't destroyed until after the attack, correct?

Edit: Here is the trait's text (for Cyclops, same for Iron Man): I CAN STILL SEE THE DREAM: Improved Targeting: Ignores Blocking Terrain. When a ranged combat attack resolves, any blocking terrain along its line of fire to the target is destroyed; May make a ranged combat attack when adjacent to an opposing character.

That is correct. Also, the term is line of fire. Also also, Improved Targeting and Improved Movement aren't traits. They're combat abilities and as such can be countered.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

This team really wants an open map, though, so you might want to consider sideboarding the duo and putting the merge pieces into play to get a themed team bonus. This also lets you squeeze some extra points out, meaning you can swap out the CW Wolverine for the WatX Gravity Feed Wolverine and still be able to merge into the duo later, while also bumping your build up to 398.

I'll second this. You can even make the Merge your very first action because theme is only checked when you reveal your force.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

What do you mean theme? Are we talking about the team abilities?

Also, does anybody know where I can get a cloth map? Seems like it would be the best option.
Not team abilities. We mean themed team bonuses. See page 23 of the rulebook. If you don't have a rulebook, see the OP for the link to download one.

What do you mean a "cloth map?" You mean like a piece of felt to put the map on so it doesn't slide around?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

It's not, I checked the wording specifically when I saw Takion's power. HSS doesn't cut your range value in half, it lets you take a ranged combat action with your range halved as a free action during the move. Takion's pulse wave is instead of that ranged combat attack, so only the halving effect from the pulse wave applies.

You still halve your range and then add whatever modifiers, then take whatever half of that is for your Pulse Wave AoE. See here for confirmation.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Last night's game was 500 Golden where your team had to consist of characters from at least two universes. I ended up running an Animal team of Alyosha Kraven, Julie Newmar Catwoman, FF Cheetah, Automated Stallion, and NML Killer Croc with the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak. I learned that Croc, as he appeared, is indeed a superb alpha-strike figure with his up-front Exploit Weakness and choose-between-2d6 Blades, but when he gets hit he loses a lot of that utility. I gave well enough each game, but I still ended up going 0-3. Everybody got a Mother Box because apparently while the store ordered 3 prize kits they sent 4.

Next weekend is AvX month 3 (which I posted about earlier) but I also need to come up with a team for the week after, which is for GL Mon-El. It's 300 Modern and in honor of St. Patrick's Day at least one figure on your force build must be predominantly green in color. Tentatively IU've thought of the following GCPD abuse, as DC10 Lex Luthor is indeed primarily green.
pre:
D10A020	Lex Luthor	160
BCTV003	Robin		50
--ATA	GCPD		2
FI301	Splitlip	20
SLSH022	Gates		60
ASMS102	Doc Ock Arms	8
----------------------------
		Total	300
Gates teleports Lex, Splitlip, and Robin out by wildcarding GCPD, with Lex then moving out with GCPD and trying for the Arms. If he doesn't get it he can move back to Splitlip and Gates and let Robin move out and try. After this, Gates can bamf around with Lex for free while Lex keeps shooting. If I can keep it set up right, Lex can shoot and then have Gates provide evac for a run-and-gun strategy.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

Thanks! That's much clearer now.

I got a White Witch in one of the three Slosh boosters I purchased today, so I'm happy with that, but really want Mon El.

Oh man, I just realised the Kalibak and the Orion (060)I got today are Chase rare too. Yay!

Hooray for you! To add to what Andy said, there's another sort of sub-rarity that began in the Batman set. That's called a Prime figure. Each rarity level other than chase has one per set and they're denoted by a green ring on the base and being numbered 0XXb, with their non-prime counterparts being numbered 0XXa. In SLoSH, they're Mon-El, Cheetah (a counterpart to the other Cheetah), Edward Nigma, and Black Witch. Primes are limited to one prime per force, so your force couldn't include, say, Mon-El and Edward Nigma. Primes are designed to be more point-efficient, which likely means they figure the character's point cost and then knock some set percentage off of it. Some of them are absolute knockouts, like Brother Voodoo and Silver Centurion.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

Yes and no. They're all wildcards, so they can all use the PD ability, but the ability still works the same way for them -- they've got to be next to the person making the ranged attack and have line of fire to the target. You can't get the bonus from halfway across the map, which is what I feel like you were assuming.

Also, if someone KOs the Science Police Officer, it's goodbye PD team ability. You can't use a wildcarded team ability anymore as soon as there are no characters possessing it on the map. Note that "can use" is not the same as "possess." You can't wildcard a team ability from a character who "can use" that team ability. It has to either have it printed in its base or have some effect that says "Captain Example possesses the ___________ team ability."

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Note that the previewed Deadpool A) is the standard counterpart to a Prime and B) apparently can go on either of the AvX team bases. They also brought back the WoS version's Ridiculous Regeneration, but as a power instead of a trait. Overall he looks pretty good, so I'll like seeing his Prime.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

Holy crap, what if the sheep are also horde tokens?

A HORDE OF SHEEP. I'll finally learn how to play hordes if I can do that.

It would have to be a new thing called a Flock Token that they would use only once.

On another note, what's with the HYDRA-looking Wolverine? What's that from?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

I have a new question: My work make thinks the Avengers team ability, which states "When you give a character using the Avengers team ability a move action, it does not count towards your available actions for the turn," means he doesn't have to put an action on the hero.

This means that hero can simply perform another action, yeah? Instead of the one per turn he usually gets. He'd still have to put another action on his hero and push to do it, right?

This is incorrect. A lot of people refer to Avengers/Brotherhood/JLA/etc. as a "free move." All they do is make it so that the move action doesn't count against the number of non-free actions allotted to your team based on the build total. For instance, in a 300-point game you get 3 actions per turn. Avengers makes it so giving that character a move action doesn't use up one of those 3. It's still a non-free action so the character does get a token for it and the character can't be giving another non-free action that turn.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

Thanks, this clears things up a lot.

So me being handed six tokens for a 300 point game is straight up wrong. I could have some Avengers on my team.

Right. Also remember that just because something gives a player an action token that doesn't necessarily mean they've been given an action. The token is not the action.

For example, Incapacitate gives an action token to its target. A use of Probability Control you get from having a themed team (referred to commonly as either "themed team Probability Control," theme Prob, or TTPC) requires that the user be given an action token, but Probability Control is itself not an action of any kind— even a free action. It used to be a LONG time ago but isn't now.

When I get some time, I'm definitely going to turn the second post into a newbie guide. What are some other things I should put into it?

Red posted:

I've played for the longest time without tokens, and that random picture I posted a few days ago had someone using those flattened marble aquarium rocks, which seem neat.

What do you guys use?

I've used all kinds of stuff, like beads or micro-dice, but I've settled on poker chips. They sit right under the figure and are big enough they're not going to get lost. Also, I use two different colors so I can alternate what color I use each turn. That way I can keep better track of who should clear on what turn.

This weekend I printed on cardstock and punched out (with a 7/16" scrapbooking punch— it really should be 1/2") some tokens to use on the board in place of special objects like the Gamma Bomb, Uru Forge, and the Emerald Eye of Ekron so that characters can occupy the space of a relic without having to fiddle with it on the map or if it doesn't physically exist at all. Just sit the guy on top of it and there you go. I just need to get some glue dots so I can stick them to blue poker chips for color-coding. I also printed off some detachable/produced bystanders like Monkey Joe and Gulyadkin the Lion that I'm going to stick on green chips.

By the way, at some point I'm totally going to play a game where I run the old-rear end LE from Collateral Damage of the Emerald Eye of Ekron along with the new Emerald Empress and have the Eye pick itself up.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

For the abilities, it might help to notate which are forced/required with a * or something.

They're all considered in use, so to speak, at all times. However, they come into play in basically three situations. Mind you, none of this is official terminology.
  • Activated— These are the powers that say "Do X. Y happens/do Y." You have to do X specifically to activate the power. One example is Flurry. "Give this character a close combat action. [INSERT REST OF WORDING HERE]" For you to make the two attacks you have to give the character a close combat action specifically to activate Flurry. This is why you can't use it and Exploit Weakness together despite them both requiring a close combat action. Phasing/teleport and the movement portion of Leap/Climb are other examples. This is different from…
  • Triggered— These are the powers that say "When X happens, Y happens/do Y." The three I can think of without looking (which I think are the only 3) are Blades/Claws/Fangs (commonly referred to as either BCF or just Blades), Steal Energy, and Energy Explosion (or just "EE"). BCF and EE are what you might call permissive because they contain a "you may" clause, which means you don't have to use them. As Andy essentially pointed out, Steal Energy doesn't say "you may" so you have to do it. These powers just happen when the game state is right.
  • Passive— These powers are always on and don't require any action or game state to have an effect. Precision Strike and most defense powers are good examples of this. Another example is the part of Leap/Climb that allows you to make a close combat attack targeting a different elevation.
Just remember: due to the fact that the rules are basically written in what I call "HeroClix English" instead of standard English the term "can" means "must" or "does." For whatever effect to be optional, the text has to say "you may."

Captain Satire posted:

This thread is about to turn into a major resource I'll be checking every single game I play.

On another note: how often do people here buy individual minis from online sites? It seems to me it's a much better way to create a specific team, or am I missing out on some of the fun if I'm not buying boosters?

If you play in a store, you should buy some boosters. If you get lucky you'll pull a Super Rare, Prime, or Chase, plus you're supporting your local venue instead of some guy online where you don't play. I always buy at least a couple packs of a set when it comes out to support the store I play at, then I get a CUR set and whatever SRs I really want (like Solomon Grundy or ASM Ghost Rider) on eBay. As for the thread being a major resource, I'll let others contribute as well and probably end up compiling everything into a document.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 5, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

BCF is what I was thinking with the "you may" clause, thanks for the clarification.

Also, I've always thought Quake was an option - you didn't have to attack using that ability.

Quake is another example of an activated power. It's "Give this character a close combat action. [STUFF HAPPENS]" which means you have to give the action specifically to do that. You can just straight-up clock a dude instead if you want or activate Flurry, Exploit Weakness, or any other "Give this character a close combat action" power.

Today's preview is Yu-Gi-Oh's Goblin Zombie. Stealth, Blades, and Super Senses? Hey, everyone, Indy HeroClix is back!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

My AvX3 is this weekend. It's 700 points, all carded Marvel sets are legal, you must use at least one character from your faction's starter (Avengers for me) the only resources allowed are the Infinity Gauntlet, Power Plant, and Phoenix Force. I have a Power Plant, but I only have the Disintegration Beam and Ice Blast rings (so far— I'll have a full one coming soon). The only colossals or team bases allowed have to have certain keywords and I don't have any that are viable. Playing either an Avengers or X-Men themed team gives you 2 extra points toward your AvX event standing. Here are three teams I've thought of so far.
pre:
AVX001	Captain America	200
	Fragment- Cyclops
CW173	Ant-Man		75
  w/Morphs
	Fragment- Colossus
AVX002	Iron Man	150
AVX004	Spider-Man	100
AVX006	Scarlet Witch	100
CW010	Donald Blake	33
Avengers (Heroic Age)x6	12
	Phoenix Force	12
	2 characters	6
	3 Fragments	9
The idea here is to use Ant-Man to lend a 20 Defense to Captain America by having them both use the Namor fragment, who can bump it up to a 20 with Combat Reflex or ES/D depending on what he's up against. Cap has the Cyclops fragment because Ant-Man needs the dependable damage reduction of Invulnerability. Iron Man's there despite the ranged limitations of the maps because of his auto-knockback screwing up enemy positioning and possibly dealing extra damage with knockback. Full-point Spidey can Move & Attack with a decent AV and do so despite terrain, making him a great harasser or even primary damage dealer with objects. Scarlet Witch of course is for general support duties, but may be hampered by line of fire problems. Donald Blake is filler who can turn into Thor or double up on Support duties with Wanda.
pre:
AVX001	Captain America	200
	Fragment- Cyclops
CW173	Ant-Man		75
  w/Morphs
	Fragment- Colossus
AVX007	Black Panther	100
AVX004	Spider-Man	125
GSX010	Beast		95
CW030	Wasp		77
	Phoenix Force	12
	2 characters	6
	3 Fragments	9
This team has the same basic idea, but it's much more close combat-oriented. The characters are supposed to get in close and tie up the opposition. Beast has a 17D/Combat Reflexes and traited Super Senses, so not only is he hard to hit but he can also use Outwit to counter reducers or the Invincible I'm sure to see on at least Magneto during the night. Because of the strong potential for LoF issues I ended up not putting Scarlet Witch into this build at all. Wasp is primarily ranged, but anyone can carry her up into the fight, which is where I'll definitely need to get Black Panther and his Outwit/Empower right away.
pre:
AVX002	Iron Man	150
  Secret Avengers	5
	Fragment- Namor
GG023	Blastaar	158
	Fragment- Cyclops
IM3103	Killian		75
WXM005	Oracle		49
MU033	Green Scar	230
	Fragment- Colossus
	Phoenix Force	12
	3 characters	9
	3 fragments	9
This team foregoes theme entirely and doesn't pull any funny tricks with the Phoenix Force. It uses the Colossus fragment to A) protect Green Scar from Outwit making him squishy and B) let him fly so he can ignore terrain to use Charge. Iron Man and Blastaar both auto-knockback (though it's a power for Blastaar), so they could really screw up positioning for the opposition. Starter Killian's Perplex and HYDRA TA helps Iron Man hit and lets him and Blastaar use Sharpshooter. Oracle's for Prob Control and Barrier to either protect my guys or set up opponents for knockback damage. Two likely problems with this team: Charge and Combat Reflexes. One potential advantage is that most people playing at the venue got in well after Mutations and Monsters so they don't know Green Scar's dial and that settling for hitting him for 2 or 3 is a bad, bad idea. His Speed power will also be very powerful with Flight, basically allowing him full-speed Charge for his top 4 clicks.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I agree. That Science Police Officer is worth breaking theme (mechanically speaking) for that ridiculous power. I just bought 3 on eBay for $1 apiece and I have a fourth coming in my CUR set. In a large game I'll gladly spend 180 points on "Oh, you used Running Shot? Eat 4 unavoidable."

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

So something I brought up earlier:

I have a ton of old "flying" Heroclix - that is, I have plenty of old clix that are on those pedestals, that can be separated, and have a little slider to indicate if they were grounded or soaring, or whatever the rules were back then.

So I've asked about them before, and the answer was "Still playable, much less useful.".

Can anyone expand on older clix? I have a bunch, but it's a pain in the rear end to have to color-match using the PAC, and it's even more of a pain in the rear end to match a miniature to the right dial. Do you guys mix them in for casual play, or do any translate well to competitive play (where allowed)?

First, I'll say that the sooner you memorize PAC colors the better. We all had to do it before cards and once you know what color in what slot corresponds to what power, your games will be much smoother. I learned it cold within 6 months at most— I don't remember exactly because I've been playing for over 9 years now. That said, to this day, some of the older figures still hold up. Vet (red-ringed) Shi and any level of Johnny Alpha are still kick-rear end figures, especially Johnny Alpha. V Abby Chase is also a decent harasser, with Stealth, EE (an 8 AV, though) and Outwit with the Danger Girl TA (Skrull equivalent) for 52 points. The Unique of her doesn't have EE but has the Dolphin Speed symbol instead, so she can be slightly more mobile but also costs 54 points.

Collateral Damage had a figure from a now-defunct program called New Guy Night of Superman with the Batman Ally TA. He couldn't bust Stealth because figures only had one TA in those days, but he's still boss, especially if you throw the Utility Belt on him with the Batman Cowl. The V Green Lantern and LE Kyle Rayner (also from Collateral Damage) still hold up, with the Vet starting with 12 Running Shot/10 TK/18 Barrier/3 RCE with a 12 Range and Green Lantern TA for 167 points. The LE is 10/10/18/4 with RS/EE/Barrier/Perplex and a 10 Range with JLA TA for 135. I should note that Collateral Damage was the first set where our own Seth Johnson— a.k.a. Inkslinger— started to influence design, making figures not quite so top-heavy as they had been.

If you can get the Green Lantern collector's set (sadly, like the Invincible and 2099 collector's sets and the Danger Room starter, the figures were glued into their flight stands for presentation's sake), do so. I've used Tomar Re within the last few months because he also boasts a whopping 12 Range with EE and Enhancement, which I think is the most they've ever given to a non-colossal character. Supernova had a couple beasts, like the V Kang the Conqueror at 199 points, who drops like a rock defensively but hits hard for most of his dial. I'll also still use the Black Knight out of Fantastic Forces for a carrier/meat shield (he's a flying double-based Transporter) and the Songbird out of that set isn't bad either. The V Green Goblin/LE Norman Osborn and V Human Torch are also nothing to sneeze at, though they're easy to hit and will crumple much more quickly than newer figures. The LE Cain Marko is also a mean as Hell version of Juggernaut, though he doesn't address your issue about flyers with flight stands.

Don't discount pre-carded figures just because they're old and you have to learn what the colors in the slots correspond to without referring to a card. Some of them are still viable when the build allows, especially cheap single-purpose utility figures like Destiny or Con Artists.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

Hey dude. Do you have a computer with Skype? Do you have a map I also own? I will happily play a teaching game against you over skype. I promise only to use the Legion of Doom.

Seymour Butts, you really, really should take him up on this. This is the World Champion offering to teach you. Buy a webcam and get the Fast Forces Legion of Doom so you have the same map he does if you need to do either.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

Awesome. You're my goon of the year.

Edit: I did a quick google search and found that you won the last World Championship, but do you have any other Heroclix-related achievements? I'm honestly curious to know.

He also won the 2011 World Championship.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

DoFP Avalanche is up! HOLY POOP ON A STICK that trait combined with Precision Strike is going to lay waste to swarms.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Unfortunately, no, we don't get the fragment until after the event, so we can't use Emma's fragment. If we could I'd probably use some variant of team 2 where I'd give Cap Emma's fragment and give Cyclops to Black Panther so he could ignore all the elevation changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The Phoenix Force with 1 or 2 fragments left on will also give him Charge, though not as reliably as a Hammer. It won't cost an action, at least, and 2 fragments would bump his top-dial Defense to an 18.

• Locked thread