Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

The Grammar Aryan posted:

I use these. You can stack them, so they fit pretty much anywhere, and it's been working out pretty well for me so far. Not sure how I'm going to deal with the new scale of giant figs, like Validus or Colossal Boy, though. You can definitely get them cheaper at a Lowe's or something- I nabbed mine for something like ten bucks apiece.

I use a four-shelf version of that, with things split out by set, for the most part. Going to have to split Lord of the Rings out of "Misc. Licenses" and into it's own drawer soon...

A friend of mine gets the trays that factory sets come in, and mounts them to his wall. It looks pretty nice, and makes finding the figures you need really easy. Honestly, WizKids could probably make decent money just selling those trays. Right now, they are really hard to get a hold of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

thebardyspoon posted:

My bad habit is playing a figure I've wanted since they got previewed or just wanted for ages and never got round to buying and then being over confident or playing them badly, getting them sent to the knackers yard super quick and then sulking.

Around here, we call that 'the debut jinx.' The first time you play something you really want to play, they'll do poorly. It's just how the game works.

For me, other than not being able to ever hit if I need a 6 (seriously, a 7 or 8 is fine, but face me with a 6, and I'll whiff all the time), my annoying habit is to start quoting probability, once things go poorly for a bit. One notable tournament, I was up to "one out of three is zero out of forty-two" on Leadership rolls.

Got our Legion sealed tournament tonight. I'm judging, so I'll only buy in and play if we have an odd number, but I'm looking forward to watching. This set is so cool!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Captain Satire posted:

25 points left which probably means this is a bad team.

One thing to keep in mind when you have this many points left - even if you don't own a resource to fill the points with, hordes and bystanders are print-and-play. 25 points means that you print out a Captured Warbot and a Damaged Warbot, both of which are decent, and (more importantly) can get in the way of attacks meant for your actual figures.

You can find them at HeroClix.com, in the Downloads > Print & Play section, under 'Marvel Bystanders.'

Other good print & play options for that team are the Security Guard from DC (6 points for the Police TA to boost your ranged attacks) and Amadeus Cho from Marvel (11 points for Outwit as a power action),

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Waffles Inc. posted:

Playing my first LoSH sealed tomorrow--any tips/tricks for sealed with this set anyone's picked up on?

From what I've seen, the top strategy is to pull the Emerald Empress. Barring that, pull Grundy.

If you're only using the Legion maps, you don't have to really sweat a theme team, as neither side really favors most figures. So, don't worry about breaking your Legion theme if you get something good to wildcard.

Sleeper hits for sealed -
Black Manta is an offensive powerhouse.
Amethyst and a taxi can remove a tentpole from the game.
If you pull a Science Police, play it and DO NOT forget what it does! Watching my players, I saw so many times when they could've done unavoidable damage, and their controller forgot to call it.
Tellus is amazing, if you pull him along with other Legion figures.
If you get Colossal Boy and Chameleon Girl, play them both. Cham is pretty awesome on her own, but together they get amazing.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Captain Satire posted:

This makes sense, but considering it's likely my clicks will be huddled around Mon El anyway I should be OK, yeah?

Yeah, that would be fine. All your figures can copy the PD ability from the Science Officer, and then use it like they possessed it, until that Science Officer was KO'd.

Had a 600-point tournament yesterday with 50% Legion floor. I ran a Legion of Super-Heroes team, and had a great game against the Legion of Doom in round two. Lightning Lad opened the game with an unbelievable double Energy Explosion that KO'd 12 Toys in one shot, and then Solomon Grundy spent the next 45 minutes grinding the Legion into a fine paste. Lightning Lad kept missing his RCE shots, and Colossal Boy crit missed off from his Charge/4 damage click, so I just didn't have the damage output to finish him. KO'd him once, but he came back, then Regened up to top-dial and stayed there until time was called. It was pretty amazing... very fun, frustrating game on both sides of the table.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Captain Satire posted:

Thanks, this clears things up a lot.

So me being handed six tokens for a 300 point game is straight up wrong. I could have some Avengers on my team.

Not straight-up wrong, since you would need two tokens on a figure that had pushed. Those 6 tokens were assuming 3 on one turn, and then 3 on the next, at which point you might clear the first 3. In general, it's probably best to have a few extra, but 6 action tokens are the minimum you could expect to need, with 3 actions per turn.

I use glass beads for action tokens, light green on one round, dark blue on the next, so that I can keep track of who acted on which turn. A few people that I play with use poker chips, which are nice because you can sit the figure on them, and won't lose what square you were in when you pick the figure up... but are not-so-nice, because it can be hard to tell at a glance if a figure is pushed or not.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Here's a random pile of rules of thumb suggestions:

Is it the end of your turn? Before you clear your tokens, make sure that you've used all of your available free actions. NEVER let a free action go to waste.

Does the figure that you are shooting with have more than one target? If so (and you aren't using Ranged Combat Expert), ALWAYS dual-target. Sure, that Darkseid is the huge threat, but if you get a bad roll, you might still kill that Race Car. Or, on the flip side, sure, you can KO that Race Car easily, but you never know, you might roll that 9 to hit Darkseid!

If your printed damage value is 1 or 2 and you have Blades, ALWAYS roll for it. 3 is debatable. Don't roll if you have a printed 4 or higher.

Figure out who on your team is expendable. Using a low-importance figure (or a hard-to-hit figure) as a tie-up piece, as a human shield, or as bait isn't something to be afraid of. Chess has pawns; HeroClix has the Toad.

When moving your figures, ALWAYS try to either be in or have hindering terrain between you and your opponent's shooters. Even without Stealth, that defense bump can come in handy.

Prioritize. Figure out which actions are the most important for you to make, so that you can be able to sacrifice less-important actions for theme team re-rolls, if need be.

If you opponent has no Support, crippling can be better than KO'ing. If you knock a tentpole figure to uselessness, it becomes a drag on your opponent's available actions per turn, while you target the pit crew. Sure, you'll need to pick up those points sometime, but learn when it's okay to switch focus.

Be aware of everyone's range value, and their swing (which is move-and-attack plus range). Count the available Perplexs into your calculations. If you can't land the first shot on a priority target (note 'priority,' don't fall for bait; go for either the biggest threat or the best support), try to make them come to you.

Map roll! Seriously, many games are won by this alone. When building your team, figure out what sort of map would be best for you. Strong range team? Wide-open areas with small patches of hindering. Strong close combat team? As many walls or segments of blocking as you can find. Similarly, look at your opponent's team, and figure out what sort of map would be the worst for them. All-grounded team? Get a water map, or one with lots of levels of elevation. No viable taxis? Make it a shooting gallery. Lots of range? Pick plenty of walls and hindering.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Had an auction sealed event last night. Everybody gets a bidding pool of $5, and then a booster is opened and people bid on the first pick from it, then second pick, and so on. Had 18 people show up, and we worked our way through a case of Iron Man, a case of Superman & the Legion, and a smattering of blind gravity feed figures and old boosters. Chase figures, primes, and rings went into the prize pool, along with a lot of other donated stuff. Then, build 500 points out of what you bought, and have a three round tournament. Any money from your bidding pool left over can be spent on re-rolls at 25 cents a pop.

It's always a fun format, since the bidding is at least as much fun as the games. Lots of winding people up just to make them spend more money on things that they want, and defensive bidding to keep certain figures out of certain people's hands. One guy ended up buying Darkseid and Kalibak, and then we got him to run out the rest of his money on a defensive purchase to keep Orion from anyone else's hands.

After going a few directions in my bidding, I ended up building a team of Colossal Boy, Chameleon Girl, two Brothers Grimm, Scarecrow with the Entangle feat, and rookie Electro from Sinister. I had $1.50 left for re-rolls, which I hopefully won't need, with two natural PCs on the board from the Brothers.

Round one was up against one of the movie Iron Man figures, War Machine, and marquee Vision. Iron Man could bust my Stealth, so I was kind of worried, but it turned out that I didn't need to be. This one was pretty much a rout... lost Scarecrow while he performed his duties as a tie-up piece, but nobody else took a click. Having two variable-height attackers ensured that my PCs could always see them, and Electro being on the team let me share Colossal Boy's 11 attack, when the Legionnaires were not copying Mystics. Clean sweep in about fifteen minutes.

Round two brought Colossus, Sauron, and 300-point Bizarro. As I'd just faced off against Bizarro with Colossal Boy and Chameleon Girl the past weekend, I knew what to do: take down everybody else first, and then dogpile him. Smoked Colossus immediately, and Scarecrow kept Sauron tied up until Bizarro knocked Scarecrow to the Flurry/Blades clicks, and no more Sauron. Then it was just a long, slow slog through Bizarro's 12 tokens; a trip that was aided a bit by having four easy sources of Poison on my team for those Super Senses clicks. Lost the Scarecrow again, but nobody else got touched.

Final round was up against two 150-point 001 Iron Men, Giganta, low-cost Mano, and an experienced SHIELD Sniper from Sinister. More IT: Hindering made the Stealth figures sad, as did the fact that my opponent won map roll, ensuring that he got the alpha strike. He dropped one Brothers Grimm in one shot, and put Electro to his last click his second turn. I retaliated by KOing one Iron Man, and dropping the other to his Regen clicks that same turn. Electro, Mano, and the remaining Brother Grimm got into a Poison fight, which I eventually won, and then it was just mop-up time. The wicked alpha strike had me worried, but Electro surviving really helped, since chaining the 11 ensured that I could put Chameleon Girl's Perplex into damage.

Ended up going 3-0 and taking the top spot on points. There were a lot of great prizes, but not much that I didn't have, so I snagged the Thor 2 movie starter. I love those auction events... if you can get enough people to split the cost of a brick or two, I'd highly suggest it!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Captain Satire posted:

Edit: Can the police team ability stack? If I have Mon El shooting with both Lightning Lad and the Police Officer adjacent, will that reduce the target's defense by two instead of one? I guess I'd actually put Lightning Lad in the middle so he can easily hit with two extra damage from Ranged Combat Expert. Coupled with Mon El's Superman Ally team ability this team's ranged attack drat nice.

The Police TA does stack, so long as all the figures using it are adjacent and have line of fire to the target. That is what makes cop swarms so dangerous (well, that and Police Cruisers)... people they're shooting at will have a -2 or -3 to their defenses, so, even if they aren't hitting hard, they're usually hitting.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Captain Satire posted:

Here's two damage power ability questions:

Who exactly has to be within range for Probability Control? If somebody is shooting at one my of heroes who happens to be within range of my Prob-casting hero, but the enemy shooter is outside of my Prob hero's range, can I still force a reroll?

Your PC figure needs range and line of fire to the character making the roll.

Captain Satire posted:

Can one of my heroes target themselves with Perplex?

Does that character have line of fire to itself? Is it within 6 squares of itself? Yes, they can!

Note that these questions actually used to be important... Stealth used to work during your turn, as well as your opponent's turn, so a figure would have to cancel its Stealth to draw a line of fire to itself. This rule made a lot of forgetful players with Stealth/PC figures very sad.

Fake edit: drat it, Andy!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Might this end up being another thing where the month 1 kit is very expensive due to the included resource as a participation prize, like AvX? My impulse whenever Realms tells me the sky is falling is to tune it out and move on...

Loving what I'm seeing of Winter Soldier so far. Time once again to start checking Target every day, I guess.

Torrent fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 11, 2014

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

Objects are just one of those things that I've never gotten a handle on. If there's no (good) FAQ, would anybody mind coming up with some guidelines?

Also: Once upon a time, there were objects that were sold separately (a desk, light pole, and filing cabinet for example). Does anybody use those?

Each player can have up to 3 objects on their force. If you are running all 3, you have to have one light object, one heavy object, and one of your choice (which can be light, heavy, or immobile).

Objects on the map count as hindering terrain, which is the biggest use that most teams will get out of them. Characters with Super Strength can pick them up, when moving through their square or one adjacent to them, and can set them down in any square they move through (but you cannot pick up and put down on the same action), and MUST use an object they are holding if they punch someone. Characters with Telekinesis can move them around, either just to re-position, or to attack with them.

Standard objects -

Ultra-Light (counts as light when building your force)
Anyone can pick them up.
Can be thrown 8 squares for 1 damage.
Don't boost close combat damage.
Don't count as hindering terrain.

Light
Can be thrown 6 squares for 2 damage.
Boost close combat damage by 1.

Heavy
Can be thrown 4 squares for 3 damage.
Boost close combat damage by 2.

Ultra-Heavy (counts as heavy when building your force)
Must be 100 points or more to pick them up.
Can't be thrown.
Boost close combat damage by 3.
Requires 4 damage to destroy.

Special objects -

These days, these are mostly relics, which are a special class of immobile object that cannot be destroyed. Characters occupying a relic can be given a power action to roll a d6 and try to pick it up (each relic's card has the number needed to pick it up printed on it), and grant various bonuses. For example, Thor's hammer requires a 6 to pick up, and, if you do, you get Flight, Quake, Energy Explosion, +2 damage, and +2 attack.

Standout non-relic special objects (unless marked with '3D,' these are all available for print-and-play, and all listed cost 0 points) -

Laser Turret: counts as heavy. Character occupying it can be given a free action to make the Turret make a ranged combat attack at 4 range, with 8 attack and 2 damage. Since it is the Turret attacking, not the character, it can fire while based, shoot out of adjacency, and doesn't care about crit misses or Mystics.

Shield Disruptor: counts as light. Damage reducers within 4 squares do not function.

Kinetic Accelerator: counts as immobile. When a character occupying it moves, they roll a d6 and replace their speed value with their speed + the result; on a 5-6, the Accelerator is destroyed. Due to timing, you effectively add the full result to your movement when using Charge or Running Shot.

Eleha'al Vine: counts as light. Stand on it and take a power action to heal a d6-4 clicks, minimum 1.

Meteorite: counts as heavy. Close combat attacks using it deal penetrating damage, and it boosts damage by a d6-2, minimum 1.

3D -

Dumpster/Generator - Count as heavy. Not destroyed when used in an attack, instead, it is placed in a clear square adjacent to the target. Great for Hypersonic/Super Strength characters.

Soda Machine/Satellite Dish - Count as heavy. Increase damage by +1 (so, 3 up close, 4 when thrown).

Desk - Counts as light. When carrying it, you can choose to destroy it to get +2 defense against one attack.

Black Lantern - When an opposing figure is KO'd within 4 of it, you can heal one of your characters within 4 of it 1 click.

Bookcase/Computer - Count as light/heavy respectively. +1 to hit when attacking with them.

By far, this isn't a complete list, but these are my picks for the most useful free objects.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Waffles Inc. posted:

Anywho, is anyone else in love with Triplicate Girl? I've got another AvX Month 3 coming up that's pretty low key, and I'm definitely giving her a go

I adore both versions. I've had a soft spot for characters that get better when you have more of them around since the Seven Deadly Brothers back in Superman, and both of her new versions have really fun gimmicks. I'm going to try to get five extras of the main set version, and swap the sculpts out for the five Voltron lions... I've been looking for good dials for those ever since Monsterpocalypse released them. The keywords are wrong, but I don't know if there will ever be a better set of figures that work together.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Correct - he gets one PC each time he is attacked.

'Cannot be ignored' doesn't mean that it's mandatory, it means that he can use PC even if he's being Pulse Waved.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Just have to post a trip report of a game I had today:

We had a 'movie figures only' tournament to celebrate the release of the Winter Soldier set, which is something we do with most movie releases. Had a low turn-out, so after the tournament was over, I got into a three-way game with the judge and another player.

Judge was running -
WS 006 Falcon
WS 012 Cap
AVM Shield Commando
IM3 War Machine

Other player had -
TWD 014 Malekith
350 points of Dark Elves split between a and b dials

I went with -
TDW Duhg
WS 004 Batroc
WS 008 Winter Soldier
WS Steve Rogers
TDW Algrim
Mjolnir

We played on the DotA2 map, since we needed a 3x3 map for the three-player game, and that one is really interesting. The map made it hard to get really solid coverage with Winter Soldier's Sniper Nests, but it also made it really hard for my opponents to search them without going out of their way.

I started off by trying to pick up Mjolnir with Winter. He blew that roll, and so went into his Nests. Then, Algrim actually managed to pick up the hammer, and pretty much spent the rest of the game just waving it in everybody's face, just daring them to hit him and turn him into Kurse.

War Machine opened things up, just wrecking the Dark Elves with a well-placed Energy Explosion, and then followed it up with a double-Enhanced Psychic Blast at Steve Rogers through Steve's Stealth... I got drat lucky, and he missed the shot. Steve Outwitted War Machine's Impervious, but there was blocking between the nearest Sniper's Nest and War Machine. Cue the MVP of the game, Batroc the Leaper! He Charged out, used his Leap/Climb to Flurry up to the higher elevation, kicked down the blocking, kicked War Machine for 3, pushed onto his Plasticity/Super Senses/Shape Change click, and Sidestepped up onto the elevated to base Cap, Falcon, and War Machine. Batroc then proceeded to keep them tied down for as long as they were standing, hitting endless Shape Change and Super Senses rolls, or just being missed outright. Winter Soldier took out War Machine, Algrim took out Falcon, and then just hung around and dared Cap to KO him, while Batroc moved over to base the entire Dark Elf force... where he proceeded to keep them tied down for as long as they were standing. Batroc literally played tie-up piece for two entire 500-point teams, and not once did anybody ever land a single hit. It was one of the damndest things I've ever seen in HeroClix. I ended up just having Duhg hang back near Winter Soldier's most frequently-used Nest, so that the combination of Leadership and Winter's self-only Leadership kept the bullets flying every turn, since Duhg really wasn't needed on the field of battle.

The new Steve Rogers and that Winter Soldier are both great pieces, but they just paled in comparison to the day that Batroc had.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
In my opinion, the answer is always Harry Leland. That guy has never done me wrong. If you plan to go with multiple Guards, though, keep in mind that the GSX ones grant Mastermind, but they don't have to be the one that you Mastermind to. So, you could just run one GSX one, keep it hidden but within the 8-square radius, and run the cheaper ones from Ultimates to be the actual fodder.

Relic-wise, a Gamma Bomb might be a good choice... anything to get your opponents to spend actions not attacking your big figure. Beyond that, the Bookcase from Batman '66 is the best-kept secret in 'Clix, and is perfect for a team depending on Mastermind. Maybe a Violet or Yellow Lantern, to help with your Mind Control or Psychic Blast.

Map-wise, you'd want something with tight corridors and just a single level of elevation, to minimize the number of characters able to attack the team base, and to force them to attack the base, instead of your fodder. The Prison map from Sinister is ideal.

If you do the Legion of Doom team, I would suggest toning back Bizarro to 5 or 6 tokens, and getting another attacker on there. The only way that Bizarro loses is if he gets dogpiled, which is really easy to do to the 300-point one, but hard to do to the 150-point one.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I played a SHIELD team made up of the new Cap 2 figures, and, wow... all of those espionage traits together are just fantastic! They just negate so many advantages that people have come to rely on that it really flummoxes opponents.

First round was Agent 13 and Maria Hill's time to shine. Went up against a Hydra army, so 13's "only 1 free action per figure per turn" thing was instrumental in shutting down Taskmaster, particularly after he picked up a Phoenix shard. But, with Agent 13, if he used the Poison, he couldn't use his Leadership, and he couldn't use either one if he wanted to use Photographic Reflexes, and if he used THAT, then he couldn't Charge or Sidestep or Perplex, or anything. Meanwhile, Richard Fisk was sitting in the back, giving Mastermind to Sin & Crossbones, but Maria has her 'Outwit through opposing figures' power, so she shut that down, which let Cap blast the duo off their Stealth, and Brock Rumlow finish the job. Just an amazing bit of a team firing on all cylinders.

Round two was mostly Cap and Widow. Was up against an Apokolips team, with the new Darkseid and Kalibak, and a bunch of Parademons. Cap's trait was huge, since I would've been slaughtered if I'd lost map roll. As it was, I was able to get enough elevated around to stymie Darkseid, and weed out the ranks of the Parademons while Maria kept slowing Kalibak's advance with her Outwit. Widow burned through almost all of the Apokolips themes before the big guy arrived, which was very helpful, since he whiffed his first attack. Then Agent 13 ran up and shut down his defenses, which allowed Rumlow and Iron Man to KO Darkseid in two shots.

Overall, very impressed with the new SHIELD guys as a team!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Chumppell posted:

You take the push after actions resolve, so no, you still push. I think you ignore the other one.

Correct. If you use Pulse Wave to KO a character with a "when this character in KO'd" effect, it doesn't go off unless it specifically cannot be ignored.

To answer the other question: if the character using Pulse Wave has Probability Control, they can use it on themselves when using Pulse Wave.

Unrelated... every year, I run a special April Fool's Day tournament called Joker's Wild. I have all sorts of oddball scenarios, or objects, or whatever. It changes every year. Last night was the seventh one.

This year, I made up decks of 24 cards, each with different effects. Stuff like "Duck Season: if one of your characters is attacked, pick a different target for that attack" or "Elaborate Deathtrap: Clown Car of DOOM," where you can Elaborate Deathtrap someone into a 6-square map full of Joker Thugs and a random Joker.

Each game had a deck, with players drawing a card at the start of their turn, and a maximum hand size of three. Everybody had a blast... it was the kind of tournament that makes me very happy to be a judge. My favorite moment came when one player, who was running Deathstroke, got a "make up a new general rule" card, and he changed Invulnerability to be a 2-6 Impervious power, since Deathstroke was the only character with that power. First time Deathstroke got hit, he rolled the 1, and got knocked straight off it. Deathstroke got hit again, and he played a "turn damage into healing" card, to put Deathstroke right back on it. Deathstroke gets hit again, and he blew the roll again. Deathstroke gets beaten down, and finally KO'd, but he plays a "when a character would be KO'd, keep turning the dial equal to the damage dealt, and if they aren't on a KO click at the end, they stay on that click" card. That put him on his last KO click, but the attack had been doubles, so the knock back damage put him right back on his Invulnerability yet again. Next time he got hit, he blew the roll again. All told, that figure took 20 damage that game, but he survived!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

SublimeDelusions posted:

I'm not sure where to go with those figures.

Quick build from what you posted:

Book of the Skull
Tellus (with Nul's hammer)
Deathlok (with Angrir's hammer)
Full-point Cyborg (with Skadi's hammer)
100-point Man-Thing (with Mok's hammer)
1 more hammer, if you get all 4 equipped.

Get a map with lots of walls or elevations, if you win the roll.

Man-Thing gets the first hammer, since he needs the Plasticity. Tellus gets the second, since he needs the Willpower. The other two can take them as needed, but don't be afraid to just drop one on one of your characters to get the free action Quake without bothering to pick it up.

Cyborg blasts away at the opposing team through strategically-placed objects, forcing them to close with you or get shot to pieces. When they get about halfway across the map, Man-Thing bases as many as he can... he might Poison them, but he's just there to keep them busy. Tellus allows Deathlok to shoot from Man-Thing's square, with proper positioning, and also uses his Mind Control to send more people into the Plastic embrace of Man-Thing. Deathlok and Cyborg shoot them to pieces while they try to escape Man-Thing, who saves all his actions to Regenerate.

As long as you keep everybody within 4 of Tellus (no need to be within 4 of each other), your ranged attackers have huge coverage, and Cyborg has even greater due to his trait. Accept that Man-Thing will die, but he's just there to keep opponents busy for as long as possible. Don't forget that Plasticity will stop people from flying over him, or punching him with Hypersonic.

CapnAndy posted:

Explain to me how Bizarro is not a white guy. Do you not use our Earth colors? Is that's what's going on here?
Bizarro am NOT white!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Also keep in mind that Plasticity stops most characters when they are moving, so a Hypersonic character cannot run up and punch a Plasticity character, as they would have to immediately end their movement, and they can only punch DURING their movement.

Plasticity is actually SUPPOSED to trump Improved Movement: Characters, due to the classic "'can't' beats 'can'" rule, but the rules arbiters over on Realms blew that call.

Grey Gargoyle is a glorious piece, with the right kind of support. I played him on team "screw your action tokens," along with Sin & Crossbones, 'held by the horn' Boramir, 'misdirection' Catwoman, and a couple Incappers. Once I figured out how to get it all working together, my opponents hardly ever got the chance to act with their important figures.

Torrent fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 16, 2014

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

The rule is less "can't beats can" than it is "exception beats norm."

Funny you should say that, as Norm was the one who told me that "can't trumps can" when I asked him about the Plasticity vs. IM: Characters thing at Gen-Con last year. But, he's gone now, so I have less of a leg to stand on. Mostly, it's just sour grapes for me, since I'm a Plasticity fan, and they both made it better and introduced a new mechanic that made it much, much worse in the same PAC update.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
A good rule of thumb to go by is to always try to choose the battlefield that best suits your team, rather than the one that suits your opponent. With Samson and Bertha as the GLA's big attackers, you want to try to keep things in as small an arena as possible against a superior ranged team like the Reavers. My call would be to have Sampson Charge around the blocking terrain of that car, and go after the White King... not because he is the "best" target to hit, but because doing so puts Samson in the most advantageous position. The fact that he's sitting on a Regen that you don't want him to roll is just a bonus. Reduce your opponent's options, and make them play your game, rather than playing theirs.

Barring that, prioritize. Samson is currently clear, and Deathstrike is currently pushed, so he can Charge up on her, and push to CCE her next turn, without her getting a chance to fight back... it's just a matter of keeping him from getting shot by the others. So, Samson Charges three squares to the left, and then into that square of hindering directly in front of Deathstrike. Bertha moves into the square of hindering next to both of them, blocking off line of fire to Samson (since she is both clear, and can take a beating), and Mr. Immortal hopefully has the movement to go over and block Bonebreaker's shot, where-ever he is hiding.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

Would you guys enjoy it if I laid out a few more such scenarios?

It was interesting... I wouldn't mind talking over more.

Going after Pierce with Samson as I described was indeed more about being defensive with Samson than any offensive gain on White King.

'Theme team probability' means that, as a named theme team, the Reavers have a special pool of Probability Control uses that they can dip into. If all the characters on your team share a named keyword (IE, something you would capitalize in a sentence... 'Reavers,' but not 'animal'), and you have at least two characters to start with, you get a number of theme team PCs equal to the number of characters on your force, up to a maximum of 1 per 100 points of the build total. While using a theme PC calls for you to put an action token on the character doing it, it does not count against available actions, or even count AS an action, so you can act after using one (but, due to how action tokens work, you cannot use one after being given a non-free action). So, in this situation, Pretty Boy could have been given a token to let Skullbuster re-roll, if he had missed.

Having an 'offensive line,' as you put it, is certainly helpful when your main attacker is a close combat piece. HeroClix is a game of priorities... when you are looking at your team, you need to know what characters you are willing to risk or sacrifice to protect others. There are a whole bunch of characters whose entire purpose is to run up and keep threats busy so that the damage dealers on your team can do other things. Big Bertha is a perfect example of that... she has Plasticity to make escaping her difficult, and, although she's pretty easy to hit, she only takes 1 damage, so she's going to keep someone busy for a long time. For characters like her, just ask yourself "who do I not want to have to deal with yet," and throw her at them.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Just chiming in for the Outwitting of traits. While it is true that you cannot straight-up counter a trait, on rare occasions you can counter a power granted by a trait. Be sure to check the wording... most traits say that someone "can use" a power, which means it's not up for Outwitting. However, if a trait says that someone "has" or "possesses" something, then it can be Outwitted. Far more frequently, you will see the "has" in conjunction with a combat symbol in traits, rather than with powers, but many combat symbols can also be Outwitted.

For example: the Hawkeye & Mockingbird duo figure have a trait which says that they "can use" the Sharpshooter ability. Nothing to Outwit there. However, the Batman & Green Arrow duo figure have a trait which says that they "possess" the Sharpshooter ability, so their Sharpshooter can be countered.

Also, for the scenario in question, keep in mind that First Turn Immunity is a thing. Both sides would've had to pass, in order for the game to open up with those attacks and Outwits.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

This weekend some friends and I are getting together for a 6 player 1500 point battle and I'd like to make the most annoying, stagnating team I possibly can. To that end I'm trying to come up with all the figures that nullify or otherwise shutdown powers and abilities such that what will already be an unpleasant, entirely too long game becomes a grueling hateful quagmire of misery for everybody that isn't me. Due to the fact that there will be several maps put together and probably colossals and team bases, I'm looking more for blanket effects than short range shutdowns like Unspoken or Harry Leland. Here's what I've got so far:

For power screwing - any of the Trinity of Sin.

For token screwing - Sin & Crossbones, FotR Boromir

For more general dickery - Arwen, DC75 Ares, Unspoken

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Seymour Butts posted:

So, what do you guys think of resource dials? What about my trade?

Personally, I disdain the use of resources (other than the Penguin, since he actually feels balanced for the points). The Infinity Gauntlet was not too bad... sure, it made certain characters a bitch to deal with, but, for 40 points, that was okay. Then the Utility Belt came out, and it was under-costed and over-powered, even before they decided that the errors on the dial shouldn't be corrected and made it even better. Everything else since then has been balanced to the Belt, IE absurdly overpowered for the cost. Sure, they can be taken down, but they just really make events less fun for all but the top-level players.

A particular pet peeve of mine are the new resources that are just "here, have some relics without needing to roll, or worrying about only being allowed one per team." I really feel that things like the hammers and the Mandarin's rings should have a 'relic side' and a 'resource side.'

As a judge, I rarely say "no resources," but I have a very good group of players, and they usually only bring them out for the big events. The guy who runs our Saturday events never allows them.

It does sound like someone was doing something wrong with the Book in your tournament, though. Unless they have Splitlip on their force (which they couldn't in an all-female tournament), it is still a power action to pick up a hammer, even if they don't have to roll for it.

As for the trade... as long as you're happy with it, then it's a good trade. Personally, I love the Thunderer and that Absorbing Man, and will probably never play my Iron Man/War Machine duo, so I'd call it a good trade.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Waffles Inc. posted:

At casual events, creative use of resources can be fun! Resources open up options for more creative team building and suddenly made figs who were maybe a charge/RS away from being good into usable pieces.

And I do enjoy resources being used to make bad/moderate characters good. However, 90% of the time that I see them played (your mileage may vary), they are being used to make an excellent figure unstoppable. Sure, the Blob is a lot more fun when he can Charge, but nobody wants to have to deal with your Dracula suddenly having +2 to all his stats and Flurry.

It's just a personal preference. I guess my original statements got a bit vitriolic.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I'm pretty sure that the wording on Realms is wrong for the Injection Fairy. I don't have the card in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that it does say "until your next turn."

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Honestly, if you're looking to make DKR marquee Batman shine, the Book of the Skull is the way to go. Drop a hammer into his square, and suddenly he's in hindering. So, when he takes the free action Quake from the hammer falling, all the people he is hitting get -1 to their defenses, and he's doing penetrating damage with him. You honestly never have to bother picking up a hammer... I mean, sure, it helps, but just have him run around the map with hammers raining onto his head and doing penetrating Quake on fools with an 11 attack and their defenses down by 1.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

Arwen has it coming so hard.

Arwen can at least be thwarted by map choice, although, yeah, she really does have it coming. The LotR tournament that I judged at Gen-Con was, like, 80% Arwen teams.

I don't think that Highfather really needs to be on there, unless they are just going to fix his Support power to where he actually needs to heal someone to get the +1.

Tellus, however, really does need some fixing. There's just some silly abuse that can be pulled off with that guy.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Fritzler posted:

Highfather totally needs it. I saw a highfather with AvX cyclops and someone else, against SM darkseid and Donald Blake. Dude wasted Blake and passed until time and got a win. The pact needs to end when the character that is pacted is the only remaining character.

How did that work? You can't make a Pact with characters over 300 points. Was the Darkseid guy running 67 points down in a 300 or 400-point game, with one of the smaller Darkseid versions?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

Atrocitus' damage power is oddly worded though; can he use it during any attack or just his own? I'm leaning towards the former because that seems to make him more useful than just probbing his own attack three times, but I can see how somebody could argue it only works for himself.

The way it reads, it is during any attack. I imagine that they added that to make it a more 'aggressive' form of PC; he can't use it to re-roll Leadership, or break away rolls, or whatever. He is all about attack-attack-attack.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Seymour Butts posted:

Went to free comic book day and picked up a Batman and Joker. I believe they are from the Arkham Origins set, but both have a purple ring around the base. What's the deal with them, anyone know? Haven't had a chance to check them out yet.
I also took a look at the Batman and the Joker. They are both 100 points, don't have traits or improved movement, and generally suck. That was a little disappointing.

Purple rings denote promo figures. They're not legal for tournament play, but check with your local venue to see if they actually enforce that. The dials on those two are actually kind of designed to suck... they're deliberately simple to help new players learn the game, so they're not supposed to have anything fancy.

Had a 600-point, no fliers/no range tournament today. I went with the Dark World Warriors Three, along with their Hammer of Thor counterparts. That turned out to be kind of a mistake, as far as anybody having fun went. Two games in a row, HoT Fandral was able to Flurry a 350-point Worldbreaker to death in one turn, what with the 14 attack and 6 damage that he was sporting due to so many bros. It was kind of disgusting.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I will be judging at Gen-Con yet again this year. No idea if I'll be on day shift or night shift, but I'll certainly be there. Probably won't get the chance to play anything, unless I end up on day shift, but time will tell. Will not be making any of the other conventions, though.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
The Gen-Con event list just got posted. Some HeroClix highlights:

Pretty much everything in the 'fun event' category is no tactics, which I think is a great idea.

Fantasy 'Clix tournament - Hobbit, LotR and DotA only (sorry, MageKnight!) in 300 (sorry, Epic actions!), 500, and 600-point flavors.

300-point Marvel/DC tournament with only pre-carded figures being legal (my money is on Sinister Thanos and some Con Artists)

The return of the Meteorite scenario, which seemed quite popular last year.

400-point AvX - build one Avengers and one X-Men team (no team bases), roll off to see who plays which

500-point no range. Dang, I would sign up for this one if I could, but it's Sunday, and all judges work all day Sunday

Protect the Boss - 400 points, one figure under 100 points is the 'Boss,' and you lose if they're KO'd (IE, the 'we work for da Atom!' event)

400-point War of Light - seems like it's set up like the AvX event (build 2 Lantern teams, roll to see who plays what), but it slipped someone's mind that there are 9 Lantern groups, not 2.

Four team tournaments! 200 points per player, so 400 per side. Sounds like a blast... another one that I'd like to try.

Zombie Event - 500 points, no figure over 100. KO'd figures return to your starting area on their first click (the Bombastic Bag-Man and Extremis Brute jamboree!)

And, of course, your standard assortment of Battle Royales and Worlds' qualifiers and events. No word yet on what sets will be used for Battle Royales, but I'd guess Legion and Deadpool.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
And the Penguin is fine, because, seriously, how suicidal do you have to be to try to steal from the Penguin? Steal from Batman, he'll just turn you into a sidekick... steal from Thanos? That happens all the time. But nobody, NOBODY steals from the Penguin.

Yet another reason why the Penguin is the best resource.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

Holy poo poo, when is WizKids going to learn that Sidestep is not an appropriate top-dial power?

He's fantastic other than that, but Darkseid, loving Darkseid, has to get picked up and carried to the fight? Really?

Well, Phasing used to be the speed power that nearly all cosmic-level 250+ point characters got, and I will take top-dial Sidestep over top-dial Phasing 9 out of 10 times. Plus, considering he has 10 range with Improved Targeting: Everything means that Darkseid can threaten over half the map on the very first turn, which is not too shabby.

And, really, Darkseid is not the most ACTIVE of enemies. He hovers there, looks at you, and you die. Not a lot of Running Shot in his bag.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
So, every April Fool's Day for the past seven years, I have run my signature event, Joker's Wild. I've posted about it many times... at its core, it is unpredictable, silly fun. I just found out yesterday that I will get to run it at Gen-Con this year, which is kind of a dream-come-true. It's not in the event system yet, but it should be going in sometime this week. So, if you're looking for a tournament to play in on Sunday, check it out!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

Man, there's really too many good side games all bunched together on Sunday, I wish they'd spread them out more. The only options for side games at certain times a few of the other days are YGO or tag teams, which sucks as I'm not big on YGO and I don't know anybody to sign up as a team, meanwhile I've gotta sacrifice either the Meteorite or a Star Trek game since they're doubled up :(

The reason that they're all on Sunday is purely due to space concerns. Thursday-Saturday, a big portion of our play space goes to Worlds events. We've got an extra crunch this year due to Attack Wing and Dice Masters both taking up some of our tables.

I'm working the night shift, so if you want to do one of the team tournaments, I'd be available for a Goon Team-Up for the Friday 11-2 event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

I'd totally be down for a Goon Team-Up!

Sounds great! I just grabbed one ticket for the Friday Team-Up event. Now to start thinking about what sort of 200-point team to build...

• Locked thread