Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I get worked up during the game (enough so that I'll sometimes stand up to roll and then do a little anger-waddle of bottled frustration if I miss a crucial roll, but I try to make my rage humorous for others, at least), but give me five minutes after, and I generally stop caring and unclench.

My dice are generally bad enough that I have a reputation for rolling badly. That said, I tend to rely on the old Fantastic Four starter dice, as they treated me fairly well, and the dice that came with the Thor starter years ago were somewhat nice to me, too. I have shitloads of dice, and the AvX ones I'm using for those tourneys and they're doing okay, but I usually leave a lot of them alone. I could probably clean some of them out of my tacklebox to make more room for objects.

Oh, and I use tackleboxes for storage, with separation dividers when possible to categorize teams. I store by general theme and not set, because I'm a themehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I actually won the SLoSH tourney today (which never happens) because I was lucky enough to pull Takion and Cosmic Boy, and I ran Polar Boy and a Daemonite. Takion was a little trickier than I thought given that his HSS/PW range is only 2 (half of half), but he's still pretty effective. I got lucky that Darkseid whiffed when he had first shot so I was able to knock him down pretty hard, next game I had to wipe out Grundy's team and just dance around Grundy until time ran out, and the third game, the Daemonite came through (Takion took his first damage because of a slick Saturn Girl to Persuader MC I didn't see coming, although I was lucky Persuader rolled low for blades) with a huge 6 and 5 on BCF rolls to wipe out both SG and P and put the game in the bag - after he crushed Taryq or whatever that energey explody guy's name is.

Takion is good. Grundy is scary, but get him off his charge clicks ASAP and he's just this thing you can work around until its time to focus on him (but keep him away from hindering, too, so he doesn't heal back to those charge clicks). Darkseid would have DESTROYED me if he'd hit first, because on that Apokolips map, I had no way to close the distance where he COULDN'T get the first shot off. But if you can get the drop on him and get past those first few clicks of crazy D, you should be good.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Deadpool Set announcement!

HE'S GOT THE SHEEP GUN!

You GOTTA gimme the Hellhouse gang now!

Edit: Wait... it's just sheep, but it references the sheep gun! WHERE IS THE SHEEP GUN ITSELF?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Holy crap, what if the sheep are also horde tokens?

A HORDE OF SHEEP. I'll finally learn how to play hordes if I can do that.

vvv It's either from an Exiles storyline or one of the Bob Agent of Hydra storylines as a brief stunt thing that I only vaguely remember. Or maybe it was like Infinity Challenge Hydra Operative LE that was supposed to be secretly Logan, I think.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 4, 2014

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, I used the aquarium stones forever because they were purty, but these AvX starters had the poker chips, and they're just so much easier to use and less 'in the way.'

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It may not be smart, popular or successful, but there is technically also my team building style, which is generally the "Play A Theme You Like and Hope Their Powers Work Together, But Don't Care Too Much If You Lose" style. Which means most of my team building is just figuring out how to squeeze the right comic-appropriate characters onto a team beneath the build total and not stressing too much about what powers they have. I like comics, and if all the teams on the map make comic sense (or just have a hilarious concept in general), it's more fun for me - and while I do pay attention to keywords for theme purposes since I'm the kind of guy they were invented for, they're not a straitjacket and I don't even really recognize generic keywords. Which means I've often stretched comic logic to find ways to put Bi-Beast on many different teams, as he only has generic keywords and he is my boy.

For example, I once went to a new venue and played Silver Sable and the Outlaws, and the people there were so stunned that I wasn't power gaming and "daring" to play a team with Prowler on it that they gave me the fellowship prize.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Don't forget the Penguin resource!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

What I liked about the old flight stand characters was that you could switch sculpts if you thought one sucked. So whenever I played the great Green Lantern dials (which were inevitably Hal Jordan dials, who I think is a douche), I could always have them be John Stewart dials instead, because they just said Green Lantern on them.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

This is weird. I've actually won two tournaments in a row. Two Major Tournaments. Went 4-0 in today's AvX3.

It helps that I've also pulled Takion two tournaments in a row.

I think this means that, when I really WANT the prizes like in the Deadpool set, I'll tank hard.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I think theme-headed players are great and I wish there was a way to have a venue that was exclusively that in a way that didn't seem like a big F-U to other players who aren't theme-heads. Just know going in that, as you said, you'll be sacrificing a bit of potential competitiveness. But I'm totally fine with that. I just like running the U-Foes or the Metal Men or figures that are supposed to go together, and all I really want to do is play against other comic theme teams.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So. Anyone else suffering from Tellus abuse?

It's kind of amazing that they took what was broken about the old GSX Xavier and made it a thousand times more broken.

Also, came across Team Base Storm today and broke my brain trying to read this power:

LIGHTNING ATTENUATION: When Storm makes a ranged combat attack, her damage value is replaced with 9 minus the number of squares to the closest target character, maximum 4.

The way this is worded, the most you could subtract from her 9 damage is 4. Meaning if you were adjacent to her, she could do 8 damage to you. Between 4-8 squares away, she could do 5 damage to you. Someone tell me this has been eratta'd. This is the most poorly-worded power I've ever seen.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 17, 2014

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm sure that's how it's supposed to work, but that's not how the thing is worded. There would be so many better ways to write that.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Is that Superior Spider-Man with a Peter Parker ghost? Wow!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I want that Hex so bad. Dammit. I'm not spending another crazy amount on a con exclusive though. Venom was too much already.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

"Uhhh..." is right.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

BLIND AL! She is interesting, and if you can get her across the map, she could mess with Xavier/Fantomex teams a bit.

I had my Blind Al mod on a Destiny dial, but this works, too.

We have Weasel. We have Blind Al. Just need word on T-Ray, Fenway, C.F. and Patch and then I'll be stoked. I WILL TAKE THOSE LAST THREE ON ONE DIAL IF IT MEANS I CAN HAVE THEM, WIZKIDS. DO NOT FAIL ME. PLEASE.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Red posted:

Someone on the realms asked me to trade my Snakeroot Clan Ninja for a WXM Spiral. The ninja's peak value is probably right now - right?

Edit: To pile on Steve Vader's request, I realllllly want a Deathtrap:

I can't believe I forgot about Deathtrap. Especially now that "Elaborate Deathtrap" is a Heroclix thing!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Red posted:

Give a good writer some freedom, and they just create. Joe Kelly did so much awesome stuff, and gave us a ton of new characters in a short period of time.

I just wish the TPBs of Kelly's run were cheaper. :smith:

Are they pricey? I was fortunate enough to get all the individual issues as they came out (hell, Deadpool #4 got me into comics full time). It was a weird time, because that book was CONSTANTLY under threat of cancellation - which is why the last arc gets so much flak, as it was supposed to be a 12-issue thing that he had to cram into six issues, and it didn't come off as well as it would have. Although people bash it a lot more than they should, because the only "big twist" was that Deadpool's name wasn't really Wade Wilson, but people seem to think it fundamentally changed everything about him.

I am still slightly bothered by the fact that the whole Deadpool/Siryn relationship, packed with so much moralistic necessity, was just completely deflated by Peter David in X-Factor, who was tired of hearing people ask for a DP appearance there and wanted to do his own thing with Siryn, so he had her just rut with him matter-of-factly as a one-off reboundy mistake and that was that. BUT I HAVE FEELINGS ABOUT COMICS.

Anyway, Stuff I'm still hoping for: C.F., Fenway, Patch, Copycat, Deathtrap, Montgomery, Zoe Culloden, T-Ray... although I have mods of C.F., Fenway, Patch, Zoe and T-Ray, so I GUESS I could cope with their absence, but c'mon.

When does this set actually come out?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, it's looking like there's none of the good ol' Hellhouse gang here, but a set with T-Ray, Typhoid Mary, Copycat, Blind Al, Vamp/Animus, Weasel, Outlaw, Agent X, Dr. Bong, Black Talon, Gwen-Stacy-Cloning Arnim Zola, Tiamat, and even stupid ol' Garrison Kane is one I can't sneeze at for Deadpool love. I'm glad I got a case. This is very impressive.

And I do have good C.F., Fenway and Patch mods anyway. C.F.'s on a Molten Man dial and Fenway's on the Bradley Captain America dial.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Had a 400 point Deadpool sealed. My team was Tiamat, Speed Demon and The Professor. I pulled well (although they were all doubles). I wiped my second and third round opponents, but in the first round I played the guy who would wind up winning the tournament, because it came down to Bullseye vs. Tiamat, and Tiamat missed at least 10-12 rolls and could just NOT hit Bullseye ever. Even rolled a 6 on regen to keep at it, and he just refused to roll 8s or 9s... although admittedly he had to roll them twice in a row to get around Bullseye's prob.

But, thankfully, I now have Supey Spidey and T-Ray, so the only SRs I need are Kingpin and Arnim Zola... and I guess Cable or the X-23 duo if I really want them, but they are low priority. HUZZAH.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I had a game last night that came down to Iron Fist vs. Blind Al. Thanks to a perfectly timed crit miss, Blind Al won.

That's why we play the games.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm not sure if that move THROUGH part for picking up objects is right. I've never heard that, but I may have been playing everything wrong forever.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, I collect Mysterios, and I finally played a 600 point all-Mysterio team. I have two of the SR from WSM and a bunch of the ASM ones, and I even threw on the original Vet Mysterio. It actually did better than expected, thanks to Outwit, Smoke Cloud, Stealth, etc. Mysterio rules.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

ShowTime posted:

They haven't revealed all of the prizes yet. There is actually a pretty insane prize structure. I'll ask them tomorrow about when they are going to clarify the prize structure for the public, but i'll also ask if they have any issues with me going ahead and talking about it. It's pretty crazy and makes me almost wish I was playing.

Now that it's revealed I can talk about it. I'm running the one at Cape Fear Games in NC. If you guys have questions feel free to ask. If any judges with multiple years of experience are interested in judging in a head judge capacity, let me know. I've already spoken with a couple people about possibly doing it, but i'm happy to give a goon a shot first. WizKids is providing some pretty good compensation for the event. You'd only be needed on Saturday.

Where exactly is Cape Fear? I might be moving to Charlotte and I'll need to find a new place to play clix...

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Well. Guess I might actually attempt to get out to Wilmington, then.

Also, Steve Vader, I talked to my friend in Charlotte, and he's been playing at Spandex City. The only oddity there is that they have a no Print-and-Play rule that excludes character cards but includes ATAs.

Wait, what? You can't print out ATAs? How else are you supposed to get them?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'd be torn. I'd want to make a giant new Bi-Beast, or Hatut Zeraze generics and hope they make a White Wolf prime out of them, or Achebe, or a CF/Fenway duo, or Eye Scream the mutant who could turn into ice cream.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So I got Resurrection Man at SDCC. His dial has no powers on it, but his card has four different special powers on it that seems like he would never be able to use, since they don't show up on his dial at all.

The best I can think is that his d20 has a white dot on it, and maybe those four powers are the special powers he can choose from should he roll that, but nothing in the power description says that. Then again, there's also a typo in the power description so it might have been left off.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

"Upping your game and beating cheese with cheese" translates to "fight a play style you don't enjoy by devoting a lot more of your free time to a play style you don't enjoy."

I build teams based on characters, not powers, and I rarely use resources. I like casual theme games, so when I'm up against cheese, I do what I can, hope for luck but expect to lose and then hope the next game is more fun. I don't really understand the hodge-podge mentality at all. But I don't spend much time crying about it. In-game, I will flip off any "I can murder you without ever leaving my starting area" pieces heartily, but five minutes after the game, I'm over it and don't care. I like winning, but I'm there to play and have easygoing fun. I'd much rather just go for the fellowship roll off, because it's a good chance to win without getting all stressfully intense about toys and games.

Which is why I will never win Worlds and why there will never be a giant Bi-Beast figure.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I drove all the way to Bakersfield on Saturday for a Con In Your Store event, and they still held it, but they didn't get any of the prizes, so they just took down everybody's information and promised to send stuff to out-of-town folks at no extra charge, and even took orders for the CapSentinel and Spidey TB and what-not. Stunningly, I went 4-0 and took second place. So I guess I'll be getting a Vampire Batman mailed to me at some point. Of course, I'm changing addresses cross-country next week. Hopefully it'll still get to me.

vvv I dunno. They seemed to be expecting it any time, even saying it might show up during the tournament. If not, I guess I shat on 40 bucks for an entry fee and more for gas.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 11, 2014

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

As an update on the Con In Your Store business, I got a call from the Bakersfield place today saying the prizes were in, although the purchasable exclusives hadn't yet arrived (Cap Sentinel, Spidey & Pals, etc.) So my vampire Batman will be mailed to my residence within a week or so.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So, hey, I can't remember who I was talking to about cool venues in the Charlotte, NC area, or what venue was mentioned, but I just finished the move this week and I'm here now. As I'm settling in, I'd like to know where to look to resume my clix habit, since I just lost my core group of nerds back west. The WK events system seems weirdly sparse for the area.

Then again, I'm going to be working a lot of nights on weekends, so it will be tricky to manage.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

My first clix in North Carolina!

Went 1-3 in a WOL Month 5, but won Fellowship so I got Indigo-1. Was tempted to buy the Red/Violent construct pack, but then played three games and realized resources are dumb and boring.

4 people pulled Entities. I played two of them.

Most of my clix are still packed away. Not sure how I'll manage a constructed game.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

ShowTime posted:

Which store in NC? Are you coming to the WKO?

Spandex City in Charlotte. Where is the WKO?

My job's hours are erratic, so it's unlikely that I can count on a weekend off, but if there are enough side events I can maybe arrange a day.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm pretty sure you can't double up defensive powers like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

The Heroclix Thread v11: Buy A Resource or Always Lose
The Heroclix Thread v11: Who Watches The Watchlist?
The Heroclix Thread v11: Because I Want Every Game I Play To Somehow Involve The Lantern Corps
The Heroclix Thread v 11: Click-a-doo-la!

• Locked thread