Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
Guys, I feel a bit bad and thought here was a good place to vent this. The past few weeks I haven't been able to make it in to the weekly heroclix night at our local venue. I don't want people to think that I'm only showing up for the big tournaments (which isn't my intention), but I've just been busy with school, work, life issues, and now being sick, and this is going to be the third week in a row I missed.

It's already a tricky thing to hold enough people to keep our venue going, but I just wanted to avoid the nights when me playing would have made it much less fun or enjoyable for everyone else, as well as me just getting all butt-hurt and upset (doc screwed some meds up for me, so I'm a bit of a wreck as of late) when I just really wanted to show up and enjoy the night. I think part of this is me just feeling like crap because I feel like I'm letting the guys at the venue down.

Any advice on what to do?

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Well, tomorrow is a sealed tournament for the power plant. I already have it. As of now it is buy one legion booster, make a 300 point team from that booster only. I have heard some concerns about a single legion booster not being able to make a 300 point team. Should I be worried? Especially as when something similar happened with SoG, it was only allowed to use figures you already own from the set, and I only bought a few singles online that won't be in until later (I really wasn't interested in much of this set).

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Well, monday night's game went craptastic. I wound up getting a booster with Tellus, Daxamite, Dawnstar (I think), Blok, and shrinking violet. The first game was me running Tellus, Daxamite, and Dawnstar against Darkseid at 300. That game was over immediately. The next game was against Grundy and Prime Cheetah. That one was also over relatively fast. The only game I won was the last one of the night where I played against Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy, and Saturn Girl (I think). That one I won because my pieces stood a chance. All in all, not the most fun night, but still something to do.

Next week though is a 400 point, Modern Only, Constructed game with a minimum of one figure from the starter for AvX month 3. The only rule: No team bases. Other encouraged rules: Play the same faction you've been using, characters you use should be relevant to that faction as well as have either the Avengers or X-Men team abilities. The twist on this game: Power Cosmic is now allowed (provided the character is relevant to the AvX scenario) and the judge stated that he's hoping anyone with the Phoenix 5 chases will be using those.

So, I chose X-men as my faction for the tournament, and I have 0 of the chase figures. Anyone care to suggest a team for me that could handle any of the Phoenix 5 against it? In our tournaments, the faction you choose is usually ignored for pairings, so I may just wind up having to go against them.

I was thinking of running:
AvX Cyclops 150
M10 Dark Phoenix 100
AvX Emma Frost 125
Phoenix Force with the previous four shards

That should take me to 399. Does it seem like that team could stand a shot or would there be any changes you guys would suggest?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

The Grammar Aryan posted:

I much prefer Emma at 100 instead of 125, since any canny player is likely to whomp her straight past her clicks with Imperv/Shape Change. The Month 3 maps are going to be a beast for you, though- lots of elevated means that your booted figs are going to have trouble getting about, and the canyon-looking side is going to be rough for Cyclops, since his line of fire is going to be pretty well obstructed. It's going to be especially rough if you're going up in that environment against P5 figs.

Then that sounds very, very bad for me. Hmm... Any suggestions as to what would make a better team then? I'm really kinda lost on this one. The whole map thing screwed me over on the constructed month 1 too. The only thing I know I want to keep on the team is the Phoenix Force with the four fragments. Aside from that, I have no idea what to run.

Also, another stupid question. When the character is assigned the phoenix fragment, do they use the yellow or blue side of the card? People have been mentioning how they get the free flight and poison regardless just by being given the phoenix force. Which, I thought only came with the fragment when using it as a relic, not a resource.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

The fragments get assigned as relics, and only the character assigned can use them. When that guy dies, the fragment goes back onto the Phoenix Force as a resource, which everyone assigned the Phoenix Force can now use.

That makes WAY more sense than how the Phoenix Force was ever explained to me. Thank you for explaining that for me.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Morand posted:

Hell consider it an open offer to all goons. If you want to try something casual or something hardcore, shoot me a PM. Skype games are fun.

I believe I'll have some time open tomorrow night.

I may have to take you up on this sometime. I kinda suck at the game.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Morand posted:

My night tonight just went from "I will be home at 7pm and tired" to "I will be home at 4pm and bored"

More then happy to play a quick game for fun tonight.

I would but I have avx 3 tonight. But I would definitely take you up on it next time we are both open.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Well, I have let you guys down again. Even with a great team suggestion, I got my rear end handed to me again.
I ran Dark Phoenix (100), Magneto (150), Hope (75), and Jean Grey (40). I put the Phoenix fragments on Magneto (cyke), Dark Phoenix (namor), and Hope (Colossus) with the Emma fragment on the dial so everyone with it got TK (took me to 398, so why not..)

Round 1: Hyperion, AVX wolverine
The dice wouldn't make any hits for me and he cleaved up Hope and Magneto fast. I killed nothing. I lucked out with map roll and chose the one with all the white and swirls. Didn't help me much, and all the different levels of elevated actually let his Hyperion hide much easier.

At this point, unless I sweep every game next month, I have 0% chance to wind anything by points (and all the prizes are determined by most points that night and overall in the event).

Round 2: (New guy) Man-Thing, Ghost Rider, and Scarlet Witch. I won map roll, but swapped to the indoor/canyon map since I was a bit miffed at the weird swirl one. Scarlet Witch wasn't able to get rid of any team abilities. The first movement was GR carrying up M-T to the middle of the map. DP RS/PWed Man-Thing for 3. Magneto RS/PWed Ghost Rider for 3. Jean just moved and Hope moved up to hindering. M-T retreated to the edge of the big rock piece and Scarlet Witch moved up below him (still at different elevations), while GR based Hope. DP RS/PWed M-T and wiped him out, causing her to avoid the mystics due to her healing on a KO. GR cleared and Scarlet Witch moved to hindering. Hope cracked GR for 2 thanks to Magneto outwitting his toughness. At this point, the dial was already turned and gave everyone a free sidestep if wanted. Jean still just kinda chilled out while Magneto moved near DP. GR attacked hope and missed completely taking 1 for a crit miss. Scarlet Witch cleared and Magneto and DP moved into range that either were capable of PW on Scarlet Witch without hitting the other while Hope positioned within line of sight of each. The next turn he ran GR up to base jean and hit her with flurry, taking her out of the game. Meanwhile, Magneto and DP made quick work of Scarlet Witch. GR finally based DP and DP used a close combat to take out GR, KO'ing herself in the process (kinda fitting really).

Round 3: Hawkeye, Silver Centurion, Scarlet Witch. Indoor Canyon Map (I lost map roll). I got trounced by them. The guy turtled (He doesn't do it always, so I can overlook it easily since he's helped me out before). He built the team around the colossus fragment giving everyone on the map invulnerability, thus making Hawkeye pretty good if he can keep moving and attacking, as well as making sure to eliminate anyone trying to use Magneto and his PW to get an edge with the Silver Centurion. I knew at this point that I wasn't going to get a win out of it since there wasn't really a way for me to hit him and not lose two of my characters right off the bat for finishing one, especially as he sat there charging up the torpedo the whole time to 7 damage. So I didn't put much into strategy and took the game to him since that's what he seemed to want. I just said "hell with it" and charged in. Hawkeye took PW damage from DP and lost Stealth. Magneto did a bit of damage to Scarlet Witch. Due to all the Mystics tossed at me, the Phoenix was on to her HSS click so I ran up and cracked Hawkeye which put her on her last imperv click. The torpedo goes off, but the imperv roll basically ignored the damage. Silver Centurion runs up and attacks her from range. I miss impervious and the super senses roll and she's out. Everyone heals for two, but SW and Hawkeye still keep causing problems. Magneto takes SW to her last click before a lucky crit hit on the other guy's part. Then Hope really shined for once instead of biting it pretty early like she did in the first game. She trounced Hawkeye with no effort (I had some really lucky clicks on the Phoenix Force dial), and then moved on to SW. Finally it got to the point where she was the only character left and with both of his characters having invulnerability, there was absolutely no way to do any damage to him, so the match was over. I will say one thing, all of the objects he put on the map to give Hawkeye hindering for stealth didn't help him since Jean and Hope just used TK (from the Emma fragment on the resource dial and character dial) to throw them at him and other people. Sadly, the invuln on the resource dial hurt two of those attempts, but one was enough to hurt Scarlet Witch and KO Hawkeye (that came from the lucky +1 damage on the Phoenix Dial for Hope, which I was sad to lose after KO'ing Hawkeye).

With less than 600 points total for all of AvX, I didn't get the White Phoenix Hope I wanted, nor is it likely I'll get the Dark Phoenix Cyclops or the Phoenixbuster Iron Man.... So I've got to hope I can get a paycheck good enough to get those on ebay somehow, as well as a Movie Hulk (the 255pt one). I had a trade set up for that one, but the guy bailed on it.

It seems that I really have to hope for sealed events helping me out, because, I don't seem to do anything above 1-2 / 1-3 in constructed. I'm learning I really suck at this game after playing it for years.

I still appreciate all of the help on this one from you guys. There's no way I'd have come up with anything that would have given me even a reasonable chance in those last two games. So I definitely owe you guys a bit! And I will definitely have to try and pick up a couple games with some of you guys to get some extra lessons and practice in if you guys are up for it.

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 11, 2014

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

This sentence makes me think you were taking Mystics damage when you were Pulse Waving people. Since PW ignores all game effects and powers possessed by a character during the attack, and taking damage, which is what triggers Mystics, happens during the attack, you don't take Mystics damage when you catch somebody in a PW. Nobody's joking when they say the answer to every problem in HeroClix (short of Brainiac's "I'll Show You Impervious") is Pulse Wave.

So, cracking into my Winter Soldier starter, I noticed two things. 1: They've changed the Smoke/Barrier/Special markers so that you get the right number of Smoke tokens! 2: They included standard Ultra Light and Ultra Heavy objects. Looking through the new rulebook, it looks like standard Ultra Heavies don't cost anything- does this mean that there's literally no reason to field the CW Tank Turret any more?

Yes, I was taking Mystics damage. The judge ruled that you have to take the mystics damage for PW on someone. It's been that way for as long as I've played at the venue.

Basically, it was his way of nerfing some of PW so people didn't just bring a team full of PW characters and wipe the entire team of the opponent off in 2-3 turns with no strategy aside from "run into middle, PW everyone, repeat for three games, and then walk away with the prize". However, the big thing to do now it seems when you're trying your damnedest to win is to run a team of all characters with the mystics team ability in order to keep hurting your opponent.

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 12, 2014

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Ok, this week's game looks interesting. It is golden age and will be team battles where our force is led by either darkseid (slosh) or chanos.. We have to build two separate 300 point villains teams. One DC, one Marvel.

Part of me really wants to run bizarro for dc to see how crazy he can be. As for Marvel, I definitely want to run Doom. Any other interesting suggestions that aren't just cheese?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
In light of the new changes and production for the War of Light set/event, I'm really wondering how many random lantern figures we'll get. I know there are quite a few big names of lanterns that will attract attention, but are there really that many lanterns that will make the set extremely competitive to collect unless you are just obsessed with collecting every single lantern?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Sanschel posted:

A metric fuckton: https://twitter.com/bigpoppamj

Generics for eight factions, looks like the chases are the 8 non-Black entities, Primes all seem to be just palette swaps from when somebody was in a different corps briefly (lots of Hals). TWO Superboy Primes; I expect those can be used towards a down payment on a car or house if you sell them.

Arnim Zola and Kingpin in Deadpool, along with Superior Spider-Ock and some attachable spider-bots.

So, I was right that I probably won't care if I miss out on some figures in the set. But I also get the feeling I will get a ton of the ones I dont want, and all the named ones I do want will be extremely rare.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

Confirmed: BLAM is indeed a ConEx. Apparently they've also made a Hulk & Red She-Hulk duo along with Doop.

Is the Hulk and Red She-Hulk duo a con exclusive also? Because I don't get to make it to any conventions, and that is definitely a figure I want.

Edit: Just saw the link. It DEFINITELY looks like that figure is going to be a convention exclusive prize, which means it will most likely be out of my price range.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Yeah, for some reason, that facebook page is down now. Any other links?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Ok, that Cable is going to definitely wind up being one of the figures I need to get out of the Deadpool set.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Well guys, I could use some more advice for a team. This upcoming monday is 500pts, Modern Age only. The rule for teambuilding: "No White Guys"

So I'm trying to think of who I could run. I'm thinking of running DC10 Martian Manhunter since I've never run him, but aside from that, I've got little to no ideas of who to run. There are a few new ones that came out, but I'm not sure of any good ideas. I know it would be easy to run Bizarro, Darkseid, or Braniac, but I don't want to be "that guy" even though it's almost guaranteed someone is going to do it since we have 500 points to play with.

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 12, 2014

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Seymour Butts posted:

War Machine, Blade, John Stewart, Luke Cage, Black Panther, Storm, Bishop, Cloak, Falcon. That's all I got. I don't know too many DC characters, but you already said Martian Manhunter.

edit: I just realized that no white guys could mean way more than black people, but that's where my mind went :downs:

I think I know who picked the game, so I think that's where their mind went also. So far, here's the list of figures I've narrowed it down to (which I also have):
CW Kang, DC10 Braniacs, DC10 Martian Manhunter, ASM Dr. Voodoo, ASM Man-Thing, FI Mokk, TT Cyborg, WXM Deathlok prime, WXM Bishop, WXM Storm, AO Killer Croc, IIM Death's Head, IIM Shaman, AVX Black Panther, SLOSH Bizarro, SLOSH Darkseid, SLOSH Persuader, SLOSH Solomon Grundy (may not actually qualify), SLOSH Tellus (he looks to be some kind of salamander thing, so definitely not a white guy).

I'm not sure where to go with those figures.

Edit: It seems there is no rule against resources, so I could probably use any of them.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Explain to me how Bizarro is not a white guy. Do you not use our Earth colors? Is that's what's going on here?

I thought he and Grundy were a grey. My bad.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
OK guys, it is month 4 of avx for me. The event is: 500 pts, modern only, and only from your chosen faction. So still x-men.

I already know that there is no way in hell I am going to luck out and get a Cyclops. The judge is going to walk away with one, and the others go to the highest point players overall, and iron man goes to the top players of the winning faction. Me getting completely hosed for any points in the first two months basically eliminates me completely from the running on either, so I guess I am going to attempt to run something more interesting for me.

I am thinking:
Avx cable
Avx white phoenix hope
Full phoenix resource
And then either the avx magneto or cyclops at 150.

That should take me to 492. I got the prize pieces because the guy running the store was selling them off from an extra prize kit to help cover costs. I figure i probably wont get to run the cable or hope any other time (except the dreaded "any 5 figures" games where points don't matter). Any thoughts, ideas, or tips?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Well, just showed up for avx 4.. It is over before it starts.. Someone is running scarlet witch at 100 and avengers prime. The judge already set aside one dark phoenix cyclops for him, with another one left to be won.

This sucks. Between this guy, team base all the time guy, and the cheeselord, I am starting to hate my venue.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

I AM THE MOON posted:

Avengers Prime kind of sucks though?

I haven't seen anyone beat it at this venue yet. Also, the judge is playing in order to try and win another dark phoenix cyclops.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Sanschel posted:

When you say another, did he already get one through the venue or had he won one elsewhere?

Through the venue. But one of the other guys had to leave, so he isnt playing anymore. So that's better. Also, avengers prime got owned by a new player first round, so they are out. I got smoked in round 2 against m10 iron man, phoenixbuster iron man, avx thor and avx wolverine.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Morand posted:

So I am in the mood for a Skype game tomorrow night. Anyone else interested?

If I have nothing going on tomorrow night, I might definitely be up for one... Any rules for it?

Also, round 3 of AVX tonight was me against the guy running Avengers prime. He kept wanting me to run out and attack him, but I waited three turns, even passing one, before he finally came out with the avengers. He used the Running Shot to attack Cable and wipe him out in a single turn due to using their perplex to up their damage. At that point, Cyclops used RS and the bolstered attack value from Cable going out (the judge made a rule for the night that when one character goes down, you can permanently increase a single stat by 1 for your whole team) allowed him to nail the AP for quite a bit. He outwitted their indomitable so that they couldn't do another action and Marvel Girl TK'd him back to safety. Next White Phoenix Hope rushed out, blasted them and then ran back to hiding. Next turn, his whole team cleared. Cyclops ran out again and blasted AP and White Phoenix Hope did the same. It knocked them out of the game completely leaving only his Scarlet Witch. She attempted to shoot Cyclops twice, and failed. Cyclops then nailed her for 4-5 and finished the game.

I'm glad that I actually won something this month as opposed to going the past 3 with little to no luck.

Still didn't get an Iron Man or the Dark Phoenix Cyclops. Oh well.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Totally not playing at my venue tonight.. Just showed up.

It's 1000pts, silver age. So far, the teams are: Dark Phoenix Cyclops, Ziran the Tester, Uatu and a few other things (possibly also the serpent), Sauron and a bunch of minions, likely all of the Pacific Rim Kaiju, the cheeselords (warmachine/ironman duo from IM 3, Forge, Mojo, and Deathlok) team, all the black lanterns someone could put on a team, and who knows what else...

I HATE nights like this where it's imbalanced as hell.

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 6, 2014

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
The place I played at did something similar one weekend. One guy has a ton of generics, so he set something up like that. What it worked out for us was that we each picked one "leader" from shield, two named commanders from shield, and then four shield generics to round out the team. It actually took us two weeks to finish the game with how many generics there were. Definitely fun.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Well, tonight is a golden age event with a die roll at the end of every turn. You bring 500 points and then before each turn you get:
1 - all characters are dealt a click of normal damage, 2- no characters can move (attack and outwit allowed, just no movement), 3 - you control opponents figures this round, 4 - winning team cannot attack this turn, 5 - all characters can use free actions twice, or 6 - all characters heal one click.

I'm not sure what I think, but I'm stuck at work late anyways, so I may not make the event. I was thinking of running the War of Light Sinestro as well as the DC75 Sinestro with DC75 wearing the utility belt. I figure, they have deep dials, damage reducers so the clicks of damage won't hurt, and some nice range in the event the non-moving comes up. Add in that they both perplex down, and you get the penetrating damage from War of Light Sinestro on anyone perplexed down, I thought it might not be a bad team. However, should I get the opponent controlling my characters, it could be relatively bad.

Any thoughts?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

I am a dumb dumb fun-hater who hates things like the Gamma Bomb and Krakoa so this sounds like my worst nightmare.

I would abuse TK or something so you don't have to worry about moving since you can "place". That, or a figure like Living Mummy or Destroyer who can be placed in an adjacent square at the start of every turn.

I agree. I wound up not playing because I got a phone call with some bad news from back home right as I walked in the door.

People seemed OK with it, but there is just something about scenarios like this that just rubs me the wrong way.

The judge bought a booster and I bought one (he didn't have enough cash on hand) and flipped a coin as to which one we got. I pulled a daredevil, headpool, vamp, spider bot, misty knight. He pulled superior spiderman.... I really hate coin tosses right now since that piece, cable, and banshee are my last wants and no one is willing to trade any.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Seymour Butts posted:

^^^ Can you explain this? I don't see why it's a bad idea to declare "No More Mutants" on the first turn.

Because if you go first, then you'd assure that the mystics can't use mystics, but wild card characters (who wouldn't have been given a free action yet to copy that) would still be able to use it. If you wait until your second turn, it's likely that wildcard characters that would benefit from mystics would take the free action to copy it then. If you use NMM then, then the wild card characters have to roll to see if they can still use it. Should they fail, then they can't copy mystics again and the mystics characters can't use it.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
I have my local shop holding one ctd of dofp for me. What is the breakdown of figures in each case? I know the full set of rares isn't in a single case, but how many are there?

A friend grabbed me two boosters the day it was released and I got nightcrawler and professor x. Out of the rares, I have to say that I definitely want most of them. I am not so concerned with nimrod though. People here seem to be willing to trade just about anything to get their hands on him though. Out of the 4 ctds that i know have been opened at the local shop, only two have been pulled. Just not sure how much the remainder of figures I will need to pick up as singles will run.. Hence the question about distribution.

How much are the full sets going for on eBay?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Opened my ctd. For my rares I got Xavier, wolverine, storm, and nimrod. Now all I need left out of figures for the set are uc storm, magneto, and mystique, possibly also the rare sentinel. It seems players at my venue love the generics, so that rare sentinel may not be likely.

I still think with the duplicates I have (Xavier, nightcrawler, avalanche, pyro, and blob) I should be able to snag at least the storm and one of the rares.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
When does war of light officially start? I am getting the feeling I am going to miss the first 2-3 months due to them running events on Monday nights and me having to do field work 4 hours outside of town where I can't make it to the events.

I am really getting hosed lately in terms of good luck with events.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Sanschel posted:

Tonight we had a rare unrestricted 600 point game so I opted for using some new hotness:

C Sentinel @125 x2
Alpha Class Sentinel @150 x2
Hunter Sentinel pog
Full Power Plant

The pog was there because I had the extra 20 points and being a nonflier with Sidestep it was perfect to put the Matter Rearranger on and have it just sidle around altering adjacent squares into whatever I wanted. Originally I wanted to use the Black Light but I faced two teams of Stealth busting and figured magic blocking terrain was more amusing.

Round 1 vs Splitlip's Legion w/full Book. What initially seemed like a terribly one-sided match because far more even than either of us expected because I kept rolling the Sentinels onto the "deal half of the damage taken back to the attacker as penetrating damage" power and my opponent wasn't keen on eating 2-3 damage on his primary attackers. He took advantage of the one time I didn't land on that to put one big guy on his last click, after which I switched to Defense mode and shut down power actions within 6 squares, which was his entire team. Meanwhile the smaller Sentinels dismantled Chameleon Girl, though ultimately I lost the wounded Sentinel as time was called.

Round 2 vs a new player in his second game ever, I eschewed the resource and asset dials and we just worked on power interactions and fundamental gameplay.

Round 3 vs X-Men: Banshee, prime Magneto, AvX Professor X, Moira, WatX GF Wolverine. I could not have been more stoked for this match. Turn one I slap Impact beam on an Alpha, he moves up clustered around Mags for the Defend, turn 2 I land on a Running Shot click, throw Flame Blast on, eat a ring, and Psychic Blast Mags with EE. Mags is nailed for 6, Moira blasts off screaming backwards and explodes on a wall, Banshee misses Super Senses and slams into the same wall on his last click, and Prof shunts his damage to Wolverine who is also now on his last click. I now had two tokens and that lovely free action Incap power, so I use it to token Magneto, Banshee, & Wolverine, KO'ing Banshee in the process. The other Alpha had gotten Multiattack, so he runs up and blasts Wolverine, Prof, & Mags, Prof throwing the damage onto his already-going-to-die companions, then takes 4 from the second attack. Then they both switch to Defense mode and now Prof will need a crit hit with his 9 attack to hit their 21s. My next turn, the Hunter pog Sidesteps up next to Prof and bops him the face for 2. Mutie scum :legion:

These guys are seriously a ton of fun, and even the little dudes are a nuisance at 125 with Invincible to soak up those big hits. The 15 defense was offputting at first but the versatility of the program dials is really impressive, and getting to switch up to pure defense on the fly was awesome and certainly seemed to challenge how my opponents approached them. I can't wait to play a really high point game with them and some of the TRU ones.

I did something similar myself this past week. We had a 400 point game that was a "cage match" one figure had to be in the cage at all times, otherwise all of your figures took one unavoidable. Only one figure could be in the cage at a time, and figures could not interact with figures on different cage sides. Also, those inside the cage could not see those outside of the cage for any purposes.

I figured since I would likely never get the chance to do it again (except maybe in a any "x" figures event) I would run the new sentinel at full dial. I felt kinda dirty for it, but it made it more of a one-on-one battle which really helped the low defense on the sentinel.

Round 1: vs. Cop car (bullock driving), Lt. Gordon, two science police, and Banshee. The strategy seemed to have the car run rampant and run people over, possibly knocking them out of the cage, while banshee ran in and out shutting down everyone's defense and cleaning up on them. Banshee ran in after getting the free move with Gordon. Smacked the sentinel, but then got smacked right back when I rolled the pulse wave on the attack program. Then he started alternating side steps and moves with Gordon and the police while hitting the sentinel for 1 as often as he could with the car. Finally, it caught up with him and the lack of willpower caught up. The sentinel was on click 8, and then wound up with two lucky regen rolls that took it to full dial. It then proceeded to clean house except for the cop car.

Round 2: vs. Cloak, dagger, punisher, daredevil and mighty iron fist. This guy did not like that I basically shut down his strategy of high movement outside to dice up any figures there. He kept throwing figure after figure at the sentinel, and they just kept going down. In retrospect, him tossing the punisher in second after iron fist was a bad idea.

Round 3: vs. Giant sentinel on second starting line and small C sentinel. He chose a map that would make me take damage off of the starting click for not being in the cage on turn one. But, since the figure wasn't technically in either area, my sentinel couldn't be targeted. Quick move and attack put his small sentinel in a world of pain. Then it became rockem' sockem' robots in the cage when his sentinel got in. We started matching our program dials, but the damage output higher up the dial sealed it for me and wiped him out pretty fast.

I won 3-0 for the night, as well as someone else, so we both walked away with the extra avx "thunderer" prize figures. Part of me still feels pretty bad for running that.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
I need a rules clarification. I ran the yellow lantern with the dog pack... Apparently when you give the dogs a close combat action, they make three attacks as free actions. However, the green lantern battery with ring attached means each figure can only make one free action per turn.

The judge at my venue ruled that it can make only one attack when using that power due to the ring and battery. This cost me at least one match. As the thread has seen me lose before due to wrong interpretations, I wanted to see if this was another case.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

Seymour Butts: The source doesn't matter. Activating Sidestep is activating Sidestep.

SublimeDelusions: The judge was correct. The attacks are free actions and as such limited by the Power Battery.

OK. Then this marks the first time I didn't get screwed over by it in a tournament.

I ran pack girl, the battery, and kryb...

Round 1 was against first lantern and full battery. I had him down to his last click, all my figures in, and if that battery hadn't stopped the multiple attacks, I wouldn't have had everyone pushed on my last turn. Neither of us lost any points and it was the first game to be a complete tie at our venue. I won with a roll-off though.

Round 2: weaponer and sinestro recruit. I got trashed first turn with a 10 movement pulsewave followed by a rs/PW combo. I didn't even get to make a single attack.

Round 3: blue kyle, brother hymm, and the fish looking guy on water. They came to me and as soon as kyle was within range, kryb got to use her movement power and started beating him in a corner. The pack girl moved to attack hymm while the lantern gave me a nice barrier to keep fish guy out. He moved in right after hymm and kyle were KO'd and the power action to drop the pack came in handy. He took out pack girl, but her and the pack shredded him pretty well. He ran and kryb followed. Time was called and I won on points.

All in all, two wins and under 200 total points. I'll miss month two, so here is to hoping that I can make up for some of the points in the last 4 months.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Well, I had to miss month 2 of WoL for research. Just wanted to vent a bit that the judge was willing to buy me in, so I could still get the boosters, if I picked some stuff up for him. Yet when the week came up, the judge backed out on buying me in because "I don't think there is any product to spare, but you can pay to get the participation stuff".

So I did that. But when I stopped into the shop this weekend, the manager asked how my pulls were doing. I told him I didn't get the buy in due to research, and the judge backed out on buying me in because "there isn't enough product". To which I was told "what the hell? I am tempted to walk back there and pull two out for you.. We have more than enough to do two boosters each month, plus some, for everyone.. Not to mention the next wave.." So it seems our judge is up to something with holding back product, but I get the feeling that when he goes to sell the extra, there are two or three people at our venue that will buy it all...

At least I will be there for month 3. Wanted Arkillo though, so eBay it is. Hopefully the third month isn't "build from previous boosters plus what you pull" again, because I would have to bet on just the war of light pack sinestro and hal, kryb, and the wolves girl to back up hopefully phenomenal pulls. I am truly envious of all the great pulls I see in the thread.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Fritzler posted:

So Carnage, Doppleganger, Carrion, Demogoblin and Shriek with the ATA are an even 600? I realize you probably can't talk about this, but when designing the figure do you have a better idea (whether explicitly told or not), of the formula that decides how many points that someone is worth?

That just helped me pick my team for a 400pt silver age match tonight. I was struggling there for a while, but I know I have Carnage, Carrion and Demogoblin which lets me ride in right around 368 points. I always struggle with assembling these teams, mainly because I can't come up with good ideas. The only original idea I had is actually quite a bit easier now. I was hoping to build a team around the old Scooby Doo cartoon and the DP Dogpool just made that much easier to do. Now to just hope I can convince the judge to let us have one night to run that idea for teambuilding.

Also, after looking over the previews on that one facebook page for GOTG, I have to say I'm a bit upset that Annihilus and Iron Man are both SR figures. Means that I'll likely not get them unless I want to fork out $50 on the secondary market, just like Cable and Banshee. I still don't have those ones though....

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Bad news for me from my local shop. Seems like the two cheeselords now make up 1/3 of the people playing. One even tried to sneak 490 point team (of Mage Knight, which I don't think is allowed in silver play), in 400 pts silver age, past every opponent they had. The judge allowed the mage knight because that is all he brought, but he just hoped no players would call him on the higher point value. The judge just rolled his eyes when he found out about the higher point value when I called him on it mid round.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

I trust by "just rolled his eyes" you mean the judge didn't disqualify the guy for cheating?

He lost every match but the one against me. And it was because everyone but me brought major cheese... :(

Didn't matter if he was disqualified or not, the person that got the non-fellowship was 3-0. And the other prize went to fellowship...

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Sanschel posted:

It does matter though. Disqualification says, "we're not putting up with your cheating bullshit;" letting him play out is tacit agreement that what he did was ok. I've seen people get suspended from venues for less blatant cheating than this.

I agree. But his cheeselording basically chased a lot of people out from the only venue because it isn't that fun for them anymore. The judge let him stay in because only 6 people showed up last night (and he and 3 of the other players were busy discussing what to do at gencon, to which I got an invite but probably can't afford). The other cheeselord just laughed that he overbuilt. It is things like this that make me dislike this place at times, but it is the only game in town.

However, it may not be for long as WizKids screwed up product availability is upsetting the store manager since they have no product outside of WoL. So they are basically buying things they can't sell and buying things that are just getting backordered.

Why can't I get lucky enough to get a venue like a lot of you guys have? Oh wait, I live in the middle of nowhere..

On a bright side, we did discuss horrible choices for a world's figure. Basically what would be the most useless figure someone could make with their championship, just stuff that would be a waste yet still funny to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005

Morand posted:

One local guy wants to make a Gotham Undercover officer and the sculpt would just be him in a trenchcoat

My worst idea was a tie between a new J.J.Jameson (sculpt of him just yelling at whoever made the figure), or child Bruce Wayne in crime alley with his parents (that one might be useful if it could ae into an awesome batman).

My Worlds fig would definitely be Golden Oldie, from a Twinkies comic ad where Aunt May was made a Herald of Galactus and found a planet made of Twinkies that sated his hunger.

I would also buy this figure if it were made, especially if the nifty support power it had (which someone else mentioned here) was a joke relating to "wheatcakes" from the spider-man origin...

SublimeDelusions fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 30, 2014

• Locked thread