Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I know you're indifferent to the X-Men, but Wolverine and the X-Men is a really fun series. I avoided reading it for a long time because I was 100% wrong about what the tone would be.

Miles Morales: Spider-Man is fun. Any MM series would have the right vibe, I think.

The Fraction Hawkeye is great, of course; you could look for other Kate Bishop books. I liked the Kelly Thompson series a lot. Speaking of Kelly Thompson, West Coast Avengers wasn't a perfect series, but it'd be relevant for you.

Thanks. I've grabbed a big bundle of Kate Bishop (and also WCA).

I was going to leave MM, but this description sold me on grabbing the first two volumes. This is tone perfect for Masks -

quote:

Miles Morales swings back into the spotlight! When the rampaging Rhino and a cadre of mysterious criminals start plaguing Brooklyn, things take a dark turn for the young Spider-Man! What mystery lurks under the surface of this newest villainous uprising? Why does the Rhino have minions? And who is the new antagonist who may just become Miles’ most dangerous foe? Maybe Captain America has the answers! Then, get ready for…Miles Morales’ day off! Vice Principal Drutcher is determined to figure out the reason for his student’s tardiness and absences, so Miles, Judge and Barbara must stay one step ahead by playing hooky — while our hero tries to keep his secret safe from all of them! Plus: the quiet-but-deadly Tombstone! And introducing…Starling! Is she friend or foe? And is she single?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Harkano posted:

Looking for more inspiration for a Masks RPG I'm going to run. So young superheroes, lots of drama, secret identities etc.

It doesn't deal specifically with young heroes, but I would recommend Kurt Busiek's Astro City which basically deconstructs and then reconstructs most superhero tropes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Harkano posted:

Looking for more inspiration for a Masks RPG I'm going to run. So young superheroes, lots of drama, secret identities etc.

I'm a lapsed reader - last 2 real big books I subscribed to were Invincible until it finished (amazing book) and Giant Days. I also recently reread the entire Bendis USM run (to it's very disappointing conclusion).

I did the original run of Runaways back in the day (and watched the show). Just finished blasting through the entirety of the Young Justice show (I read the book back in the day too). Watched a bunch of Titans, and read some old school Titans back in the day. I've done Ms Marvel. Enjoyed Spider-verse movie, and everything in the MCU. I did a little bit of Young Avengers back when it was brand new (Wiccan, Hulkling, Kid Iron-man/Kang), but haven't kept up. I did the Kyle Rayner (Ron Marz) line, and did at least a decent chunk of the big crossover with all the coloured rings.

On my to watch list I've got the DC Crisis since I eventually dropped all the individual shows, The Marvel Rising stuff, and Umbrella Academy. I'm not the world's biggest X-men fan, but if something is really worthwhile I can check it out.

I'm picking up Fraction's Hawkeye Bundle on Comixology right now (and I think the MARVEL2020 B1G1F deal would apply if there was another big Marvel bundle to grab...). Any other books I should pick up or shows to check out?

This is what Masks lists as inspirations -
code:
MASKS also comes from a long tradition of young superhero stories. Here’re a
few worth checking out to get an idea of the style and themes of MASKS:
• YOUNG JUSTICE (cartoon TV show created by Brandon Vietti and Greg
Weisman)
• YOUNG AVENGERS (Volume 1, by Allan Heinberg and Jim Cheung, and
Volume 2, by Kieron Gillen and James McKelvie)
• AVENGERS ACADEMY (by Christos Gage and Mike McKone)
• RUNAWAYS (by Brian K. Vaughn and Adrian Alphona)
• TEEN TITANS (the original Cartoon Network show, as well as the original
Marv Wolfman comics, and the Geoff Johns issues)
• MS. MARVEL (by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona)
• WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN (by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo)

So absolutely do not sleep on the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers if you haven't read that (You only mention reading the original series). It's about how parents just don't understand

Gillen's Journey into Mystery might be a good fit, it's about Loki reincarnated as a child when everyone around him knows him as an evil lying prick and his only special talent is being a good lying prick. The ending get's spoiled at the very start of Young Avengers Vol. 2, so if you haven't learned the ending through cultural osmosis you might read this first. Here's a reading order since it unfortunately has a bunch of crossovers, everything marked "optional" is absolutely optional

The current run of Runaways is also really good

Probably even better than X-Men would be Claremont's original run New Mutants, a big part of that book at the start is about how they aren't meant to be super heroes like the X-Men, Xavier trying (and failing very, very badly) at keeping them away from the kind of craziness the X-Men deal with

Invincible is about the teenage kid of "Not Superman" first getting his powers and becoming a superhero, I've only read the first trade and I liked it, but I understand it gets really grim-dark and edgy and turned off a lot of people who were early fans of it

On that same note there's Peter Tomasi's Superman run which focuses on "Actual Superman" living with his wife Lois and his super-powered son ten year old son Jon, and also Tomasi's Super Sons, which is the adventures Jon Kent and Damian Wayne. Neither of those ever get grim-dark or edgy

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Has anyone been reading the Hobtown Mystery Story books? I'm a few years late to the game, but I finally picked the first 2 volumes up, The Case of the Missing Men and The Cursed Hermit, and I'm super taken with it. A surreal mix of Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Tom Swift YA adventure, surreal horror tinged with a Junji Ito sensibility, all with a veneer of 90s Atlantic Canadian cigarette smoke and spilled domestic beer (it's set in Nova Scotia in 1996, and I lived in PEI in 1996, so it's all very relatable to me).

This sequence from the opening sold me-
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/980263408141553665

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I’m looking for a comic from which somebody posted a few panels in one of the BSS threads a year or two back. It was a combination of sci-fi and Lovecraftian horror. There were spaceships, and maybe a ship powered by a trapped elder god. Kind of vague, I know, but I was intrigued by the concept and never followed it up at the time...

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Outer Darkness?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Outer Darkness?

Thats it, and the first two volumes were really great.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Outer Darkness?

Yes! Thanks!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I’m looking for a comic from which somebody posted a few panels in one of the BSS threads a year or two back. It was a combination of sci-fi and Lovecraftian horror. There were spaceships, and maybe a ship powered by a trapped elder god. Kind of vague, I know, but I was intrigued by the concept and never followed it up at the time...

I know I shouldn't recommend non-comics here, but "ships powered by a god" is a very small genre, and John Scalzi's novela "The God Engines" is very good.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

The_Other posted:

It doesn't deal specifically with young heroes, but I would recommend Kurt Busiek's Astro City which basically deconstructs and then reconstructs most superhero tropes.

Thanks, that's always been on my to get list in the old days, so I'll put it on Comix. Is that the 95-96 7 books, and then 96-2000 27 books one?

Skwirl posted:

So absolutely do not sleep on the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers if you haven't read that (You only mention reading the original series). It's about how parents just don't understand

Gillen's Journey into Mystery might be a good fit, it's about Loki reincarnated as a child when everyone around him knows him as an evil lying prick and his only special talent is being a good lying prick. The ending get's spoiled at the very start of Young Avengers Vol. 2, so if you haven't learned the ending through cultural osmosis you might read this first. Here's a reading order since it unfortunately has a bunch of crossovers, everything marked "optional" is absolutely optional

The current run of Runaways is also really good

Probably even better than X-Men would be Claremont's original run New Mutants, a big part of that book at the start is about how they aren't meant to be super heroes like the X-Men, Xavier trying (and failing very, very badly) at keeping them away from the kind of craziness the X-Men deal with

Invincible is about the teenage kid of "Not Superman" first getting his powers and becoming a superhero, I've only read the first trade and I liked it, but I understand it gets really grim-dark and edgy and turned off a lot of people who were early fans of it

On that same note there's Peter Tomasi's Superman run which focuses on "Actual Superman" living with his wife Lois and his super-powered son ten year old son Jon, and also Tomasi's Super Sons, which is the adventures Jon Kent and Damian Wayne. Neither of those ever get grim-dark or edgy

I'm a big Gillen fan (from his PC review days) so these sound great. Especially appreciate the JiM guide, as it's confusing as hell on Comix.

Is Runaways the 2017 reboot (?) with the original cast?

I mentioned Invincible above (easily missed), and it's 100% worth your time - it runs to a proper conclusion that's really satisfying and is a great ride along the way. I can't remember if it's in the first trade, but somewhere in the first few Ryan Ottley comes onboard as the artist and the entire thing takes off. There's also an amazing twist early on that you might not have gotten to yet.

Superman and X-men stuff also sounds awesome. Added a bunch to my wishlist, and grabbed a lot more. Thanks folks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, new Runaways is the original characters.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to ask, but does anyone have recommendation for the best online comic app/reader?

I couldn't keep up with physical purchases before the pandemic, and the current situation definitely confirms that online purchasing/reading is the way to go for me. I've never done it before though so I'm not sure what is the best route to go. Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you're looking specifically for new stuff that you'll be buying the comixology app is decent enough

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd say check out the digital comics thread, but it's pretty slow these days.

Yes, you want comiXology. Protip, check out their sales. Most publishers have a half off sale on their entire line a couple times per year.

You may also want to look at Marvel Unlimited. It's like "Netflix" for Marvel comics, but it doesn't have everything and runs about six months behind. Last I used it, the app kinda sucked.

There are also places where you can buy PDF and CBR/CBZ (literally a zip file of JPGs) files. The only big publisher that sells those is Image, but you can get things from small publishers, independent artists, and, semi-frequently, Humble Bundle (they are selling a Hickman Bundle right now). For reading those, it depends on your OS. I use CDisplayEX on Windows (make sure you do not install their adware during the installation process), Chunky on iOS, and haven't found anything I was happy with on Android (I ended up sticking with PDF files and the built in PDF reader).

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 17, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For Android tablets the Marvel Unlimited app is better than it used to be, but still has issues and it's very annoying to read crossovers on it, however if you want to do something like read the first 104 issues of Fantastic Four by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby or any other long run on a single title it's great.

For just reading CBR/CBZ files Perfect Viewer is really good.

Uthor posted:

You may also want to look at Marvel Unlimited. It's like "Netflix" for Marvel comics, but it doesn't have everything and runs about six months behind. Last I used it, the app kinda sucked.

There's still some weird gaps (Generation X skips from issue 11 to fifty something) but they are regularly filling in those gaps. When I was listening to Jay and Miles Xplain the Xtinction Agenda they mentioned the New Mutants issues being missing in Marvel Unlimited, but between them recording that episode and me listening to it New Mutants Volume 1 had been completely uploaded on there and this week it looks like they added a bunch of 1980's Silver Surfer issues.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 17, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I use YAC Reader for all my non app restricted stuff.

Digital comics museum has boatloads of awesome golden age comics that have hit the public domain, free to download. Highly recommended if you’re willing to try comics from a different era.

Plastic Man, Sparky Watts, Dick Briefer’s Frankenstein, and Captain Marvel are some of my favorites. Pre code horror is pretty great too.

If you can read French Izneo is an amazing subscription for French BD, and Shonen Jump offers a really inexpensive subscription to satisfy your manga needs.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

There's still some weird gaps (Generation X skips from issue 11 to fifty something) but they are regularly filling in those gaps. When I was listening to Jay and Miles Xplain the Xtinction Agenda they mentioned the New Mutants issues being missing in Marvel Unlimited, but between them recording that episode and me listening to it New Mutants Volume 1 had been completely uploaded on there and this week it looks like they added a bunch of 1980's Silver Surfer issues.

They've been focusing on filling in X-men gaps recently which has been nice.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I've been a big fan of comic book characters for a while now but I've never really read comics. I got into Batman because of Batmas:TAS and i got into marvel with the MCU. I loved Spider-Gwen in spiderverse, but the comics are really hard to follow. I've also been obsessed with Harley Quinn lately and I've been loving the animated series on DCU. Someone in that thread recommended the comic Harleen, which is the first comic book where I was like, yes this is exactly it. I need more of it.

The thing I loved about Harleen is that it was primarily a character story - the story of Harley falling in love with the joker. The conflict is internal and the character has to grow in order to overcome it.

I've been following the Batman universe and the MCU and I guess i'm tired of superheroes saving the world by punching things really hard or finding some mcguffin.

I guess they are called mini-series? Oneshots? Stories where there is a definitive beginning, middle and end. Preferably over just a few books, so its not "read spider-gwen 1-5, then spiderverse, then Spider-gwen 6, then spider-geddon, then ghost spider."

It doesn't have to be super heroes, but I love stories where there is some magic or superpower.

Thanks thread!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lechtansi posted:

I've been a big fan of comic book characters for a while now but I've never really read comics. I got into Batman because of Batmas:TAS and i got into marvel with the MCU. I loved Spider-Gwen in spiderverse, but the comics are really hard to follow. I've also been obsessed with Harley Quinn lately and I've been loving the animated series on DCU. Someone in that thread recommended the comic Harleen, which is the first comic book where I was like, yes this is exactly it. I need more of it.

The thing I loved about Harleen is that it was primarily a character story - the story of Harley falling in love with the joker. The conflict is internal and the character has to grow in order to overcome it.

I've been following the Batman universe and the MCU and I guess i'm tired of superheroes saving the world by punching things really hard or finding some mcguffin.

I guess they are called mini-series? Oneshots? Stories where there is a definitive beginning, middle and end. Preferably over just a few books, so its not "read spider-gwen 1-5, then spiderverse, then Spider-gwen 6, then spider-geddon, then ghost spider."

It doesn't have to be super heroes, but I love stories where there is some magic or superpower.

Thanks thread!

I haven't seen the Harley Quinn animated series, but I think her most popular modern portrayal (which also influenced her portrayal in the Birds of Prey movie) is from the Harley Quinn comics by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti. Those aren't self-contained, but if you're a fan of the character, I think they are generally well-loved by other Harley fans.

I think you may want to stick to trade paperbacks that collect a certain number of issues from a series, and sometimes entire miniseries and story arcs. Think of them as like a box set of DVDs or BluRays collecting an entire season of a TV series. I don't buy single issues of anything anymore, just trade paperbacks (usually just called "trades" or "TPBs," and occasionally "graphic novels").

A graphic novel used to be a single, self-contained story, almost always longer than a single issue of a comic book, but now that trade paperbacks take up whole sections of bookstores, they often get called "graphic novels" to differentiate them from single issue comics sold only in comic shops.

One-shots are single-issue comics that tell a complete, stand-alone story, and miniseries are similar, but they are anywhere from 3 to 12 issues, and sometimes even longer. But even one-shots and miniseries may still tie into larger storylines or events, to make things even more confusing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stuff like Harleen on my shelves...

Honestly, I don’t have much like it. Here are some attempts at recommendations for short series or one shots that focus on female protagonists who aren’t really trying to save the world.

Selina’s Big Score is a fun one shot featuring a female anti-hero. It leads into a Catwoman run but is standalone.

Henchwoman is a fun, fairly short, series of indie comics about a super henchwoman.

Velvet is an indie series (again, self contained and fairly short) about a female spy. Basically, what if Moneypenny was actually the biggest badass of them all, and MI6 turned on her.

My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies is another Brubaker comic, in the Criminal world but completely standalone. It’s about a woman growing up and living in a rough world of drug users and criminals.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Lechtansi posted:

Your best bet is mini-series, especially non-canon. Regular series are filled with interruptions, and sometimes will lack a formal structure unless they’re written-for-trade (which is a fancy way of saying it’s designed to be read all at once as a single story.)

I recommend Batman: Long Halloween, Kingdom Come, Squirrel Girl, Tom King’s Vision, Squadron Supreme.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a great regular series. Each collected book tells a singular story, while the characters grow and change over time.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
What do I need to read to get up to speed on Thor? Stopped reading about 6 months into lady Thor being introduced. Happy to take it slow and read up on all/most of the released material since then.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just stick to Aaron's run. It changes titles a few times but it's pretty self contained and a more or less straight shot to War of Realms

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Just stick to Aaron's run. It changes titles a few times but it's pretty self contained and a more or less straight shot to War of Realms

Yeah, I don't think anything in Avengers affects the Thor book, there is an Unworthy Thor mini that's kinda important, but it's also by Aaron and has Thor in the title so it should be easy to slot in. Read it after the arc with the War Thor in the main title.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Unworthy Thor is before the War Thor. It introduces the Ultimate mjolnir after the Thors mini series.

Read the first couple trades of All Mighty Thor, Thors, Unworthy Thor, and then finish All Mighty Thor before going onto Thor and War of the Realms.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations guys, that’ll keep me occupied thor a while.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Can I get some recommendations of some good/great X-Men runs that take place between Astonishing X-Men (Whedon's run) and Hickman's X-Men run. There is a local second hand book shop that usually carries a lot of second graphic novels and a lot of second hand X-Men graphic novels as well and I would like to read some more of those. Should mention that I have been reading Wolverine and the X-Men so no need to recommend that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is said with the caveat that in that era you're lucky to get through 2 arcs without a line wide crossover screwing everything up, and I'm not going to try and put these in any sort of chronological order

Mike Carrey's X-Men that eventually turned into X-Men Legacy is good. The post AvX X-Men Legacy series that's about Legion is also good.
Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Matt Fraction's Uncanny X-Men
Kieron Gillen's Uncanny X-Men
All New Wolverine (the one with Laura)
X-Men: Red

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Uncanny X-Force by Remender pairs well with Wolverine and the X-Men. Totally different tones, but they were concurrent, and are both excellent in their own ways.

After Uncanny X-Force I’d dare to recommend the Apocalypse Twins/Ragnarok Now arc of Uncanny Avengers

Spider-Man/Wolverine is definitely worth a read. .

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

This is said with the caveat that in that era you're lucky to get through 2 arcs without a line wide crossover screwing everything up, and I'm not going to try and put these in any sort of chronological order

Mike Carrey's X-Men that eventually turned into X-Men Legacy is good. The post AvX X-Men Legacy series that's about Legion is also good.
Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Matt Fraction's Uncanny X-Men
Kieron Gillen's Uncanny X-Men
All New Wolverine (the one with Laura)
X-Men: Red

I really liked the Fraction/Gillen era. Maybe because that’s when I got back into comics but I just have very fond memories of it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’m finally getting around to starting Hickman’s X-Men series. I’ve finished House and Powers. Now that I’ve finished the first issue of the new series, do I continue with the main book or read then other #1 issues at the same time before moving to all the #2 issues?

What’s the best way to read the series in other words?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hadji murad posted:

I’m finally getting around to starting Hickman’s X-Men series. I’ve finished House and Powers. Now that I’ve finished the first issue of the new series, do I continue with the main book or read then other #1 issues at the same time before moving to all the #2 issues?

What’s the best way to read the series in other words?
Start with X-Men #1, and there's a read order in the back.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lechtansi posted:

I've also been obsessed with Harley Quinn lately and I've been loving the animated series on DCU. Someone in that thread recommended the comic Harleen, which is the first comic book where I was like, yes this is exactly it. I need more of it.

Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass is a self-contained young adult graphic novel (the older-age kind with swearing) that does Teenage Harley proud and I think it'd be up your alley.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Start with X-Men #1, and there's a read order in the back.

And skip Fallen Angels. Everything else is good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Any non Hellboy and non Black Hammer Dark Horse recommendations? I am going to pick up volume 3 of Umbrella Academy and figure maybe I should give some Dark Horse titles a look at as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shaolin Cowboy

I liked Steeple from the writer of Giant Days.

If you like DBZ, No One Left to Fight was a good read and I liked the art.

Empowered, if you wanna read a superhero book based on cheesecake.

Anything with Gabriel Ba or Fabio Moon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Any non Hellboy and non Black Hammer Dark Horse recommendations? I am going to pick up volume 3 of Umbrella Academy and figure maybe I should give some Dark Horse titles a look at as well.

It’s no longer dark horse but usagi

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Matt Kindt does good stuff there. Dept H, Mind Mgmt, Ether.

Joelle Jones did Lady Killer with DH, and that ruled.

Beasts of Burden is awesome.

Usagi Yojimbo!

A bunch of these are also free on dark horse’s website right now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, poo poo, I forgot about Usagi. Yes, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Matt Kindt does good stuff there. Dept H, Mind Mgmt, Ether.

I absolutely loved Mind Mgmt. I don't know about reading it online, but reading the collected volumes in print is a really special experience.