Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Quarterroys posted:

Any recommendations on good adventure/fantasy comics for an almost 6 year old?

We have been reading my daughter a lot of classic fantasy books that she has loved, including Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone, Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Alice and Wonderland, and the Wizard of Oz series.

She and I read Bone and some of the new Ducktales comics together earlier this year, which were a big hit, and I’m looking for something else along those lines.

Bonus if she can read it on her own, as she’s become a voracious reader this year.

Jeremy Whitley does a creator owned young girls fantasy title called Princeless that might work. Tbh I've only read the ya/adult spin off but that one is really good so princeless is probably good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Princess in Black might be a good fit

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Amulet is great. Usagi Yojimbo may be a bit much in terms of the violence, my son loved it at around 9.

Maybe Asterix? It’s pretty wordy though if she’s reading it on her own.

Disney stuff is great. The Rosa duck stories, lots of the European adventure stuff with Mickey is good too. I’m buying my son some Disney collections for Christmas.

Best rec I have though: Luke Pearson’s Hilda series is fantastic. Doesn’t get the love it deserves in comics spaces because it gets classified as a kids book, but Pearson has been nominated for some Eisners for it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Some comix for kiddos:

Pea, Bee, & Jay: Stuck Together
Kodi
Geronimo Stilton
Lois Lane and the Friendship Challenge
Kayla Miller's GNs - Click, Camp, Act
Donut The Destroyer
Bug Boys
Batman Tales: Once Upon A Crime
Diana: Princess of the Amazons
Zatanna & The House of Secrets
Jinchalo
Stargazing
The Cardboard Kingdom
Aquicorn Cove
The Tea Dragon Society
Lola's Super Club
On The History Trail With Ariane & Nino

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anything by Art Baltazar has been popular in our house lately too, if they like any big 2 stuff

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Cleopatra in Space was fun when I read it. I think it's a cartoon, these days.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

site posted:

Jeremy Whitley does a creator owned young girls fantasy title called Princeless that might work. Tbh I've only read the ya/adult spin off but that one is really good so princeless is probably good too

Main thing my kid hated about it was that it got cut short before the end of the main plot. There was one more series needed and then it got cancelled.

What is the YA/Adult spinoff you mention?

I've been reading Sailor Moon and Pokemon mangas with my 5 year old. Those have both been hits.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball would be good comics to read with a kid too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Chin Strap posted:

Main thing my kid hated about it was that it got cut short before the end of the main plot. There was one more series needed and then it got cancelled.

What is the YA/Adult spinoff you mention?

I've been reading Sailor Moon and Pokemon mangas with my 5 year old. Those have both been hits.

Ah dang, I didn't know Princeless was cancelled, I uhh have some bad news about the spin off lol

But for what it's worth it's called Raven the Pirate Princess and what did come out was very queer and good

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

site posted:

Ah dang, I didn't know Princeless was cancelled, I uhh have some bad news about the spin off lol

But for what it's worth it's called Raven the Pirate Princess and what did come out was very queer and good

Oh I knew about Raven didn't realize it was more adult. Princeless is quite queer too in the good way.

But yeah it seems like there should be more but no news about it has come out in years.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Steven Universe and Adventure Time are both great if the kid likes the shows.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Chin Strap posted:

Oh I knew about Raven didn't realize it was more adult. Princeless is quite queer too in the good way.

But yeah it seems like there should be more but no news about it has come out in years.

It's more ya than adult probably but like they are adult women on the crew and while there isn't actual sex scenes there are physical romances

The publisher for the book Action Lab basically hosed his contact artists out of their money and has delayed the book (books, I guess, if Princeless is dead too) that is already finished for over a year and a half now. They actually had it listed for release last week and surprise it didn't show

site fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 13, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lumberjanes , too

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dragon Ball still reaches Peak Shonen highs but several chapters, especially early on, get pervy as hell. Roshi isn't just making a dirty joke here and getting a bloody nose there, he's actively violating a teenage girl's privacy, going so far as shrinking his body to watch her on the toilet.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Space Fish posted:

Dragon Ball still reaches Peak Shonen highs but several chapters, especially early on, get pervy as hell. Roshi isn't just making a dirty joke here and getting a bloody nose there, he's actively violating a teenage girl's privacy, going so far as shrinking his body to watch her on the toilet.

Right. I should add that Dragon Ball is age dependent. I'd suggest it for kids 7 and up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

To pick up off the kid's lit, anything for someone just learning to read? I think they're at the sounding things out and writing easy words level. I picked up her sisters "I Can Read" books at that age, but if there's something more comics-wise in that vein... Last year she still got books for tots (Jon J Muth writes kids books now, which makes buying those a breeze).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor posted:

To pick up off the kid's lit, anything for someone just learning to read? I think they're at the sounding things out and writing easy words level. I picked up her sisters "I Can Read" books at that age, but if there's something more comics-wise in that vein... Last year she still got books for tots (Jon J Muth writes kids books now, which makes buying those a breeze).

“I Can Read” are easy reader books with different levels and a Lego-sized list of licences, including Marvel and DC stuff

E: somehow I missed you specifically memtioning that. The Marvel Adventures stuff for sure, and Archie is always a favourite that’s not very complex

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks for all the great kid comic recommendations!

Gonna start with Hilda and the Scrooge/Donald comics for her for Christmas.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
My favorite graphic novels are by James Kochalka, Brian Lee O'Malley and Jeff Smith – can anyone recommend BIPOC authors with the same kind of cute, fantastical and funny vibe?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

terre packet posted:

My favorite graphic novels are by James Kochalka, Brian Lee O'Malley and Jeff Smith – can anyone recommend BIPOC authors with the same kind of cute, fantastical and funny vibe?

Superman Smashes The Klan
The first couple arcs of Ms Marvel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The initial run of Ms. Marvel is so wonderful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

The initial run of Ms. Marvel is so wonderful.

Very Claws.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I would like a twilight zone anthology style comic with morals to the tales, preferably currently ongoing. I loved Sandman and have a great deal of respect for Bill Gaines. I heard Joe Hill has something like this, is it good?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've only read the first two volumes and there's a bit of an overarching plot on the edges that might become more of a focus beyond that point, but Ice Cream Man had the feeling of Twilight Zone or Tales from the Crypt.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/ice-cream-man

I very much enjoyed it.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I have a few requests for recommendations and I hope that is okay!

I just finished Secret Wars and really loved the amount of side stories and alternate universe exploration. What Marvel alternate universe runs/series would you recommend? I just love seeing different takes on the usual superheroes.

I also read the 2015 Vision mini-series where he makes his own nuclear family in suburban Virginia and I was wondering what other weird/off-kilter Marvel series there are like that one. Along the lines of that series or Grant Morrison's Animal Man run.

FINALLY, I'm wondering if there are any good character-driven books/series for Marvel characters? Things that are less about fighting the BIG BAD and more looking at "a day in the life" or just what makes them tick. I read Kraven's Last Hunt recently and that kinda was what I was looking for.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Der-Wreck posted:

I just finished Secret Wars and really loved the amount of side stories and alternate universe exploration. What Marvel alternate universe runs/series would you recommend? I just love seeing different takes on the usual superheroes.

I also read the 2015 Vision mini-series where he makes his own nuclear family in suburban Virginia and I was wondering what other weird/off-kilter Marvel series there are like that one. Along the lines of that series or Grant Morrison's Animal Man run.

FINALLY, I'm wondering if there are any good character-driven books/series for Marvel characters? Things that are less about fighting the BIG BAD and more looking at "a day in the life" or just what makes them tick. I read Kraven's Last Hunt recently and that kinda was what I was looking for.

Dan Slott and Mike Allred's Silver Surfer run isn't as weird as King's Vision or Morrison's Animal Man, but you might like it. It's a relatively light-hearted (but also occasionally weird) trip through the cosmos, with the Surfer accompanied by a human woman, Dawn. It's a beautiful story about exploration, adventure, and ultimately, love.

Matt Fraction and Mike Allred's FF (which ran concurrently to Fraction and Mark Bagley's Fantastic Four run) was also really clever, full of neat character moments, and of course you can always count on Allred for gorgeous artwork.

For more down-to-Earth/street-level/smaller-scale stories, here are some favorites from the last two decades of Marvel. Most of these are on the lighter side.
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja (about both Clint Barton and Kate Bishop)
Hawkeye by Kelly Thompson (all about Kate Bishop)
She-Hulk by Dan Slott (particularly the first 12 issues)
She-Hulk by Charles Soule
Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, and David Aja
Spider-Woman by Dennis Hopeless (but skip the first few issues that are all crossovers, and jump in with #5, or the Volume 2: New Duds trade paperback)
Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber
Astonishing Ant-Man by Nick Spencer
Madrox: Multiple Choice and X-Factor (the mid-2000s series) by Peter David -- up through the first five TPBs, at least.
X-Force and X-Statix by Peter Milligan and Mike Allred

Daredevil is probably Marvel's most consistently-written book since the 1980s, but even though it is street-level and full of incredible character development, it's often dark, heavy, and full of fighting big bads, as you say. Starting in 2001, you have Brian Michael Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Mark Waid (skip Andy Diggle between Brubaker and Waid), Charles Soule, and now Chip Zdarsky, who have all written acclaimed Daredevil runs. I'd start with either Bendis or Waid. Waid is definitely lighter in tone, but Bendis is pure crime-noir-pulp, and Brubaker's arc follows directly from Bendis but gets even darker and more depressing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Der-Wreck posted:

For alternate universe stuff, there's always classic What If? Quality of stories.....varies, but they're usually fun. The early-2000s Exiles series was good with the original creative team (Judd Winick and MIke McKone), and even the later teams are at least readable. It's probably the best thing Chuck Austen wrote (this is damning with faint praise). Volumes 2 and 3 are also quite good.

For off-kilter stuff *maybe* Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix run?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

An anthology series that would hit the quirky and alternative and kinda character driven is Strange Tales II, where Marvel let a bunch of indie/webcomic people do short stories.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Strange_Tales_II_Vol_1

My personal go to alternative universe is Age of Apocalypse. May want to have a decent basic working knowledge of X-Men.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Awesome, thanks for all the recommendations everyone! Really appreciate it. Got plenty of reading ahead of me now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Daredevil is probably Marvel's most consistently-written book since the 1980s,

Unless you literally just mean "Marvel consistently published a book titled Daredevil since the 1980s" this is quite frankly an insane statement.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Daredevil had a bad period in the 90s but then again the whole industry did. I really can’t think of another series continually published that has had as many good runs as Daredevil. I think Lou is right.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Following up on a couple of these:

People like to chuckle at Slott's Silver Surfer as Doctor Who fanfiction, but those same people leave out that it's still entertaining and has great Allreds art.

Waid's Daredevil has a lighter touch, but a lot of it is in spite of some heavy circumstances going on in Matt's life. Enjoy the jokes, but watch out for those gut punches.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Daredevil had a bad period in the 90s but then again the whole industry did. I really can’t think of another series continually published that has had as many good runs as Daredevil. I think Lou is right.

When did Nocenti leave the book? aside from the Miller/JRJR retelling of his origin Daredevil was pretty loving barren until Bendis took over in 2001. There's probably worse X-Men and Spider-Man stories in that period, but there's also some good ones too.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

When did Nocenti leave the book?

1991, and Hornhead was bad until Bendis came along. Lee Weeks drew a lot of the 90s awfulness, so at least it looked pretty.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
It feels like Daredevil:Shadow land has been mind wiped from people's memory.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
BBV Lou specifically mentioned it to be skipped, haha. It was really dumb, which is sad because it had decent plot potential.

e: and Jock's great art

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

It feels like Daredevil:Shadow land has been mind wiped from people's memory.

I keep meaning to read it just to see how bad it is, but it's like a billion different one shots so even figuring out the reading order makes it too much bother.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

GOD IS BED posted:

BBV Lou specifically mentioned it to be skipped, haha. It was really dumb, which is sad because it had decent plot potential.

e: and Jock's great art

On paper, a Daredevil story featuring the Heroes for Hire, Elektra, Spider-man, Ghost Rider and Moon Knight fighting demonic ninjas should be great. But it was dog poo poo.

Skwirl posted:

I keep meaning to read it just to see how bad it is, but it's like a billion different one shots so even figuring out the reading order makes it too much bother.

Most of the tie-ins are tenous at best, as was the style at the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

On paper, a Daredevil story featuring the Heroes for Hire, Elektra, Spider-man, Ghost Rider and Moon Knight fighting demonic ninjas should be great. But it was dog poo poo.

I know, like holy poo poo. Also, just the concept of Daredevil breaking bad is great and clearly what a lot of both Bendis and Brubaker's writing was building to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Thank you! I love validation almost as much as I love Daredevil.

Skwirl posted:

I know, like holy poo poo. Also, just the concept of Daredevil breaking bad is great and clearly what a lot of both Bendis and Brubaker's writing was building to.

To be fair, I haven't even read most of the '90s Daredevil stuff. When I had Marvel Unlimited, I tried some of it, but the art and layouts (by Scott McDaniel?) were honestly giving me a headache. I'd be curious about any good stuff I missed between Nocenti (who went even darker and more hosed-up than Miller) and Bendis. But I think Miller, Nocenti, Bendis, Brubaker, Waid, Soule, and Zdarsky have to outweigh any '90s crap or the disappointment of Shadowland. (Notice I didn't include Kevin Smith in with the good writers either.) Can you think of any other Marvel books that have had that many good writers for that many long runs from the '80s to the present? I sure can't.