Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Followup on the Slaine recommendation, that was easily the best christmas gift I've given my brother in law and I've been trying for over 15 years. He was genuinely impressed and asked how the hell anyone thought to get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

signalnoise posted:

Followup on the Slaine recommendation, that was easily the best christmas gift I've given my brother in law and I've been trying for over 15 years. He was genuinely impressed and asked how the hell anyone thought to get it

That rules!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Cobra: The Last Laugh (by Costa, Gage, and Fuso; the best G.I. Joe story EVER; 12 issues about an obscure Joe named Chuckles who goes deep undercover in Cobra)

Began reqading this, because it sound interestin and...

So GI Joe are the bad guys in this one, huh.

Edit: Man, the art in this series is not good at all.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 4, 2022

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vincent posted:

Began reqading this, because it sound interestin and...

So GI Joe are the bad guys in this one, huh.

Edit: Man, the art in this series is not good at all.

G.I. Joe is more of a morally ambiguous organization in this continuity, especially its leadership (Hawk). Everyone is shades of gray, but some bad guys are definitely worse than others. I hope you still find some enjoyment in this.

Fuso's art grew on me. It reminded me a bit of what Jock did on The Losers, but even early in his career, Jock was still better than Fuso.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 5, 2022

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Looking for some new poo poo to read. I really dislike capes, can't even do Batman, anymore(gently caress you, Grant Morrison). There are exceptions, like Kyle Baker's Plastic Man and Deadpool, and Daniel Way's Deadpool, plus Ennis's run on Punisher. But that's about it.

I acknowledge that my tastes are pretty poo poo, but I like gory horror or action, and interesting sci fi. My favorite comic of all time is still Preacher, so Ennis is usually a solid rec for me, but I bounced hard off The Boys, and ended up hating Jennifer Blood. Cheesecake doesn't bother me, so I enjoyed Hack/Slash. Saga was really good, but I think I only made it to trade #7. I gave up on Walking Dead right around them leaving the prison, so I've been kind of starved for some good genre zombie stuff.

But, yeah, bloody horror and action or space opera sci fi would be cool. I'm also a dumbass who's very particular about art. I don't really care for impressionistic stuff, I like clear and clean art. Manga is fine, too.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Narzack posted:

Looking for some new poo poo to read. I really dislike capes, can't even do Batman, anymore(gently caress you, Grant Morrison). There are exceptions, like Kyle Baker's Plastic Man and Deadpool, and Daniel Way's Deadpool, plus Ennis's run on Punisher. But that's about it.

I acknowledge that my tastes are pretty poo poo, but I like gory horror or action, and interesting sci fi. My favorite comic of all time is still Preacher, so Ennis is usually a solid rec for me, but I bounced hard off The Boys, and ended up hating Jennifer Blood. Cheesecake doesn't bother me, so I enjoyed Hack/Slash. Saga was really good, but I think I only made it to trade #7. I gave up on Walking Dead right around them leaving the prison, so I've been kind of starved for some good genre zombie stuff.

But, yeah, bloody horror and action or space opera sci fi would be cool. I'm also a dumbass who's very particular about art. I don't really care for impressionistic stuff, I like clear and clean art. Manga is fine, too.

You might like Chew, about a dystopian-ish future where eating chicken is illegal and a detective, John Chu, has the ability to know the history of anything he eats. Really good, fairly gross.

East of West is where I go when I'm in a sci fi mood. Alternate future America with the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, cyber Navajo, other stuff. A neat world with lots of gun fights and people saying portentous things

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You might like Red Room, Piskor’s new book.

For weirder sci fi I have really enjoyed the Ether series Kindt has been working on these last few years, though the art may be too much for you.

The other thing you may want to look into is European BD. They tackle a lot of sci-fi, the art is generally not very impressionistic. A lot of that stuff has been translated in the last few years by companies like Europe Comics. If this is your first time going down this rabbit hole there are literally dozens or hundreds of books that might catch your eye.

Pipeline comics is probably the best English language resource for BD, he has tons of reviews up on his site. Browse through and just pick up whatever interests you. https://www.pipelinecomics.com/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
If you like horror and such I recommend Gideon Fall and Wytches. Those are some recent cool horror books. If more books spring to mind I will post about them.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kill Or Be Killed, even has an all-in-one oversized hardcover edition!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Narzack posted:

If Preacher is your all time favorite book and you somehow haven't read Ennis' run on Hellblazer you need to fix that immediately. I recommend like 90% of the whole 300 issues of the first Hellblazer volume, but you can read the Ennis stuff without reading the earlier stuff first, and then go back if you want stuff about the same character from different writers.

I'm also gonna recommend old Vertigo books that always get recommended to people who don't like Cape books, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Neil Gaiman's Sandman

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Narzack posted:

I've been kind of starved for some good genre zombie stuff.

Year Zero was really good.

Also seconding the Ennis Hellblazer run. I got the omnibus for xmas, it's one of his best works.

If your taste is as poo poo as mine, you might enjoy Crossed. Truly depraved stuff, but if you like Ennis and zombies, you might get some enjoyment out of it. David Lapham's run was good as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Narzack posted:

StumblyWumbly posted:

You might like Chew, about a dystopian-ish future where eating chicken is illegal and a detective, John Chu, has the ability to know the history of anything he eats. Really good, fairly gross.

I'll second Chew, and I say that as possibly the biggest Chew fan here. I love it so much. It's an action-crime-horror-mystery-sci-fi-comedy book set in a food-obsessed world where people have different food-related powers and abilities. It definitely has gross moments, but as silly and weird as it gets, it is grounded by great characters and a well-paced, clever, overarching plot.

The same writer, John Layman, wrote a sci-fi/horror series called Outer Darkness, which also might appeal to you. If you like other sci-fi/horror mashups like Alien and Event Horizon, check it out. The art comes across as vaguely cartoonish, but it reminds me of being inspired by '80s anime like Robotech or Voltron. Layman even wrote a two-issue chew/Outer Darkness crossover!

Check out Descender for space opera sci-fi and gorgeous painted art by Dustin Nguyen. The book eventually ends, and then a more fantasy-oriented series set in the same continuity by the same creators, Ascender, spins out of it.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Thanks for the reccos, brothers. I use hoopla with my library, and I know they have Chew and Descender, so I'll check those out. I think I might have read Ennis' Hellblazer. Does he go to hell and meet Reagan or something like that? I don't think the library has Crossed, so I might be SOL there. I'll look for the others, too. Kill or Be Killed sounds familiar, I think I've come across it before while browsing.

Is there, like, a netflix for comics? A subscription and I can just read all I want? I'm not interested in owning digital copies, I like just borrowing and reading.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not really*.

*Marvel and DC have their own services if you are interested in those lines in particular. ComiXology has a subscription service, but it limits to (usually) the first 6 or so issues, I think there's a purchase discount though. It's good for trying things, I guess, but not worth the money. I think you can get something for manga and Archie?

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
Comixology Unlimited also has plenty of trades in the catalogue, often the first few in a series; it can be pretty good value depending on what you want to read.

(I think you can browse and see what's in Unlimited before signing up?)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm not sure if this thread is the best place to ask, so point me elsewhere if not, but I'm not sure about reading order for Spawn.

A couple years ago I bought a Humble Bundle with a bunch of Spawn comics: Origins vols. 1-20, Satan Saga Wars, Hell on Earth, Resurrections, and Dark Ages. I finally started reading them. The origins volumes are kind of self explanatory, but what about the rest? Or is there a point where I should pause the origins collections to read one of the other ones?

Edit: I actually had the bright idea to go through the volumes and except for the Dark Ages one, they're all just collections of the mainline Spawn series. However there's a pretty big gap-the origins collections go up to around issue 122 and I think the next one started around issue 250. I guess I should track down (Hoopla?) the missing issues? And is Dark Ages like a side story that doesn't matter?

Humerus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 2, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Narzack posted:

I think I might have read Ennis' Hellblazer. Does he go to hell and meet Reagan or something like that?

maybe just because of primacy, but it's my favorite ennis thing outside of the boys. there is an arch where he voodoo trips through the dark heart of america with a zombie jfk

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Narzack posted:

Thanks for the reccos, brothers. I use hoopla with my library, and I know they have Chew and Descender, so I'll check those out. I think I might have read Ennis' Hellblazer. Does he go to hell and meet Reagan or something like that? I don't think the library has Crossed, so I might be SOL there. I'll look for the others, too. Kill or Be Killed sounds familiar, I think I've come across it before while browsing.

Is there, like, a netflix for comics? A subscription and I can just read all I want? I'm not interested in owning digital copies, I like just borrowing and reading.

Scribd is a subscription service for books, including some comic trades, that I was into for a hot minute. Can't really comment on which comics they have and how many, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ennis Hellblazer is probably the best jumping on part if you haven't read it before.

There's a lot of ghost characters that have a previous relationship with him, don't worry, except for one I'm pretty sure none of them had ever been mentioned before

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ennis' war stories and battlefields are really good and noncapey

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 9, 2022

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

G.I. Joe is more of a morally ambiguous organization in this continuity, especially its leadership (Hawk). Everyone is shades of gray, but some bad guys are definitely worse than others. I hope you still find some enjoyment in this.

Fuso's art grew on me. It reminded me a bit of what Jock did on The Losers, but even early in his career, Jock was still better than Fuso.

I had to stop reading. Fuso's art was bad enough but the new person they had doing the art to replace him for a few months is atrocious and the writing was not strong enough to carry it.

Narzack posted:

For horror manga, you cant go wrong with Junji Ito. Luckily, there's been a boom about him in the last two years so his stories and shorts are easy to find. Give Uzumaki a try.
Also, The Drifting Classroom by Kazuo Umezu is a classic and it got a new edition in english some months ago, so it's also easy to get now.
Hideshi Hino is also a classic horror manga author. His art is more "childish" and seems unpolished at first, but it really works to accentuate the horror in his stories, which can be intense as gently caress. He directed Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh and Blood, based on one of his manga stories.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 9, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Regarding the Goon, are the library editions the way to go? Or is it like Hellboy where the omnibus is more complete?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Cross-posted from the DC thread:

Did anyone read Far Sector, by N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell? I'm about halfway through the trade paperback, and every page blows me away. It reminds me more of Saga than any Green Lantern comic ever -- this complicated, beautiful, weird setting that feels fully fleshed-out and lived-in, with the human GL, Jo Mullein, as a perfect audience POV character. The art is stunningly gorgeous. I don't know if I've ever seen its equal. I've never read any of Jemisin's novels or seen Campbell's art before, but this science fiction/political drama/murder mystery is fabulous so far.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cross-posted from the DC thread:

Did anyone read Far Sector, by N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell? I'm about halfway through the trade paperback, and every page blows me away. It reminds me more of Saga than any Green Lantern comic ever -- this complicated, beautiful, weird setting that feels fully fleshed-out and lived-in, with the human GL, Jo Mullein, as a perfect audience POV character. The art is stunningly gorgeous. I don't know if I've ever seen its equal. I've never read any of Jemisin's novels or seen Campbell's art before, but this science fiction/political drama/murder mystery is fabulous so far.

It's so loving good and either Jemisin had an excellent editor or she connected with comics writing like she was made for it. Anyway, go read her prose stuff, too, it's also excellent.

I'm holding out for a hardcover of it, but haha DC trade department means that may never come.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Regarding the Goon, are the library editions the way to go? Or is it like Hellboy where the omnibus is more complete?

If they're anything like the Black Hammer library editions I have, they get all the main story, but no spinoffs- those are a separate book series.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just finished Volume 1 of Monstress by Image comic, and it's pretty good. What else would be good to read like this?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Blackbird by Sam Humphries & Jen Bartel
Sera & The Royal Stars by Jon Tsuei & Audrey Mok

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the next 5 volumes of monstress

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

site posted:

the next 5 volumes of monstress

Well, obviously.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GOD IS BED posted:

If they're anything like the Black Hammer library editions I have, they get all the main story, but no spinoffs- those are a separate book series.

Is it the same way with Hellboy? I have a couple library editions but have read that they aren't really a complete run? I saw the box set and it looked fancy and affordable

Also unrelated, anyone know how is Chris Priest's Deathstroke run

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 5, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is anyone reading Ewing's We only find them when they're dead?

Is it amazing? I don't have much of his stuff but I like what I've seen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I bailed on it awhile ago. Something about it wasn't working for me, though I liked the premise.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I finally subscribed to DC Universe, and what I should be reading is all of the Vertigo series I've missed over the years, but instead:

Is there a recommended reading list / reading order for either Milestone or Wildstorm? I remember enjoying Blood Syndicate, Stormwatch, Authority, and Planetary, but that's about all I read from those lines.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Baby Proof posted:

I finally subscribed to DC Universe, and what I should be reading is all of the Vertigo series I've missed over the years, but instead:

Is there a recommended reading list / reading order for either Milestone or Wildstorm? I remember enjoying Blood Syndicate, Stormwatch, Authority, and Planetary, but that's about all I read from those lines.

My Wildstorm favorites:
Planetary
WildC.A.T.s (series 1): #15-20 (okay run by James Robinson), #21-34 (excellent run by Alan Moore), #50 (short stories by Robinson and Moore to end their runs)
Wildcats (series 2): #1-6 (okay run by Scott Lobdell with gorgeous art by Travis Charest), #8-28 (excellent run by Joe Casey and Sean Phillips)
Wildcats 3.0: #1-24 (Joe Casey's excellent run continues, with art by Dustin Nguyen)
Point Blank (miniseries by Ed Brubaker and Colin Wilson with ties to Moore's WildC.A.T.s run, which leads into...)
Sleeper Season 1 (outstanding run by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, which leads into...)
Coup D'Etat (Sleeper, Stormwatch: Team Achilles, Wildcats 3.0, Authority)
Sleeper Season 2 (Brubaker and Phillips conclude their run, which is still my favorite of their many great collaborations)
High Roads (fun little action-adventure-comedy miniseries)

It sounds like you've probably read the most important Stormwatch and Authority:
Stormwatch (series 1): #37-50 (by Warren Ellis and Tom Raney, which leads into...)
Stormwatch (series 2): #1-11 (by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch, which leads into...)
WildC.A.T.s/Aliens (not sure if that will be included due to rights issues, but that put an end to Stormwatch and leads into...)
The Authority (series 1): #1-12 (by Ellis and Hitch, which continued on into other runs I didn't care for, starting with Mark Millar and Frank Quitely)
After this, I remember enjoying a Jack Hawksmoor: The Secret History of The Authority miniseries (by Christos Gage and Fiona Staples, of Saga fame)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Baby Proof posted:

Static is the obvious recommendation for Milestone, given that he was their most successful character, and it was a fun comic.

It was short-lived, but I also liked Shadow Cabinet, which was a fun take on a Suicide Squad-esque superhero covert action team.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WildC.A.T.S. vs Aliens is definitely not on DC Universe. Pretty much every comic featuring licensed characters is not available on the DC and Marvel comic streaming platforms. Marvel is currently publishing Conan books where he's in the 616 and none of them are on Marvel Unlimited.

And beyond the normal rights issues Disney owns all of Fox's IP which includes Aliens.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Thanks for the recommendations, I had forgotten that Sleeper was a Wildstorm imprint. Never tried Wildcats, Static, or Shadow Cabinet either.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Where do I start with Junji Ito? Is there a specific collection?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Where do I start with Junji Ito? Is there a specific collection?

For the short stories I like the book “Fragments of Horror”, or you could go with “Smashed” which I think has the Enigma of Amagara Fault.

I would probably recommend starting with his longer work though. Uzumaki is incredible. I also think the book itself is good value if you’re buying in print form. Generally the reprints of Ito’s stuff is well priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I read Dawn and Powers of X and nothing since, if I want to catch up on X-men what should I read?