Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

seventimessix posted:

I've recently started reading superhero comics thanks to Marvel Unlimited and have been reading random stories to try to get a sense of what I like. I just read Old Man Logan and the follow up Secret Wars tie-in and wanted to read the whole event since it seemed super cool. My problem is that I've apparently picked the most complicated comics event ever. Is there a decent reading list for how to go through Secret Wars and what to read from Warzones and Battleworld? The first guide I found started with "Read these issues from 1984" and i questioned my desire to read this. I just want to know what happens, I don't need to know every minute detail of each minor character.

Assuming you're talking about the recent Secret Wars where they blow up the universe, all you really need to read is the series itself. For some extra context I would include reading the Thors and Siege miniseries, and I'd read them when you're about halfway through the main book. You can read any of the other Warzones or Battleworld books you want, most of them are pretty good, those are just the two that directly tie into.

If you want to go back further and read Hickman's Avengers run that leads into Secret Wars, this or this are pretty good reading orders, because Avengers and New Avengers tie directly into each other. When you get to Infinity use the first link, because it's a confusingly ordered series and the second one lists by trades, there's also a checklist in the back of every issue of Infinity, or you can go to the events section in Marvel Unlimited, but that has all the tie ins and it's completely unnecessary to read anything that isn't titled "Avengers" "New Avengers" or "Infinity"

Mighty Avengers comes out during that time and is a lot of fun though.

If you're a complete mad man you might also be interested in reading Hickman's Fantastic Four, for that all you need to know is read the Dark Reign: Fantastic Four, then his run on the main run on Fantastic Four (F4) which starts at #570-588 then Future Foundation (FF) 1-11 then Fantastic Four 600, FF 12, F4 601, then keep alternating between the two. And I just checked and Future Foundation is listed as just "FF" in Marvel Unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh, right, if you hadnt read avengers/na then yeah do that. i kept this image on hand cuz it was easier than going back to bloated text reading orders imo

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

If you're a complete mad man you might also be interested in reading Hickman's Fantastic Four

Do this anyway!

If you need back story for it, read Millar's FF.

(I'm kidding, don't.)

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011
Thanks folks! I'm gonna start with Time Runs Out in Avengers and New Avengers, read the first couple issues of Secret Wars, and by then should have an idea of what side stories I'm interested in.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

seventimessix posted:

Thanks folks! I'm gonna start with Time Runs Out in Avengers and New Avengers, read the first couple issues of Secret Wars, and by then should have an idea of what side stories I'm interested in.

Unlimited has a good guide but it's hidden in that Reading Lists section under events

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

seventimessix posted:

I've recently started reading superhero comics thanks to Marvel Unlimited and have been reading random stories to try to get a sense of what I like. I just read Old Man Logan and the follow up Secret Wars tie-in and wanted to read the whole event since it seemed super cool. My problem is that I've apparently picked the most complicated comics event ever. Is there a decent reading list for how to go through Secret Wars and what to read from Warzones and Battleworld? The first guide I found started with "Read these issues from 1984" and i questioned my desire to read this. I just want to know what happens, I don't need to know every minute detail of each minor character.

Yes you managed to pick the most complicated and greatest event story ever told.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Currently, besides the comics I'm reading with my 5 year old (she's really enjoying Squirrel Girl thanks for that suggestion), I've just been reading random series that I've seen mentioned (haven't read comics in over 20 years really). Finished Watchmen, just finished Preacher, and am starting Transmetropolitan. No real connecting theme between them.

I am interested in reading something Marvel, but it is pretty overwhelming. I've not even seen many of the MCU movies besides Black Panther and the first Avengers. I know who your basic Spider Mans and X Mans are from the Saturday morning cartoons, but never really read any comics.

Just picked up Marvel Unlimited for a year. How the hell do I start in the face of all this? Seems overwhelming.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Chin Strap posted:

Currently, besides the comics I'm reading with my 5 year old (she's really enjoying Squirrel Girl thanks for that suggestion)

Not your question, but I just fell in love with Nightlights by Lorena Alvarez, and I need to recommend to all parents. It’s a graphic novel with the sensibilities of a children’s picture book, with a little bit of a dark twist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chin Strap posted:

Currently, besides the comics I'm reading with my 5 year old (she's really enjoying Squirrel Girl thanks for that suggestion), I've just been reading random series that I've seen mentioned (haven't read comics in over 20 years really). Finished Watchmen, just finished Preacher, and am starting Transmetropolitan. No real connecting theme between them.

I am interested in reading something Marvel, but it is pretty overwhelming. I've not even seen many of the MCU movies besides Black Panther and the first Avengers. I know who your basic Spider Mans and X Mans are from the Saturday morning cartoons, but never really read any comics.

Just picked up Marvel Unlimited for a year. How the hell do I start in the face of all this? Seems overwhelming.

Are there any characters you're interested in?

For reading with your daughter, I'd suggest Moon-Girl and Devil Dinosaur, and any of the Marvel Adventures comics.

For random suggestions I like that seem pretty popular and don't involve complicated reading lists, just one issue after the next: Frank Miller on Daredevil (the 1964 series beginning with issue 158), Bendis on Daredevil (1998 series beginning with issue 26).

Assuming you liked Preacher, Garth Ennis wrote a bunch of Punisher, much of it with Steve Dillon on art. A good chunk of it was his Punisher MAX series, which is NC-17 and will probably never be on Marvel Unlimited but the 2001 series is all Garth Ennis as well.

If you're interested in X-Men and aren't scared of a little purple prose I cannot recommend enough reading Claremont's run from the start, it does eventually turn into a mess of crossovers, but that takes over a decade and at one point it was publishing 18 issues a year. That starts with Giant Size X-Men #1 and then Uncanny X-Men (1963 series, issue 94)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

If you're interested in X-Men and aren't scared of a little purple prose I cannot recommend enough reading Claremont's run from the start, it does eventually turn into a mess of crossovers, but that takes over a decade and at one point it was publishing 18 issues a year. That starts with Giant Size X-Men #1 and then Uncanny X-Men (1963 series, issue 94)

That sounds great. If I was scared of a little purple prose I dont think I would have done well with Preacher :). Loved Preacher but Punisher just doesn't seem appealing though.

Although I've just been listening to a podcast doing a read-through of Claremonts Willow sequel novel Shadow Moon, which from all accounts was horrible. I hope his comic writing is better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

That sounds great. If I was scared of a little purple prose I dont think I would have done well with Preacher :). Loved Preacher but Punisher just doesn't seem appealing though.

Although I've just been listening to a podcast doing a read-through of Claremonts Willow sequel novel Shadow Moon, which from all accounts was horrible. I hope his comic writing is better.

For shear influence, Chris Claremont is probably the most important comic writer since Stan Lee.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chin Strap posted:

For reading with your daughter I suggest wasp

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Uh you read Transmet to a five year old?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Uh you read Transmet to a five year old?

I think he was say he read her Squirrel Girl and the other stuff he read on his own. If not, Transmetropolitan would definitely be more appropriate than Preacher, not just from a violence or foul language perspective, but just on general values and messages.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I read it that way the first time. As I have a four year old I had questions, then re-read it, then saw that they were two separate things.

Im actually currently rereading Transmet for the third or fourth time, because this year seems like a very good year to read it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

I think he was say he read her Squirrel Girl and the other stuff he read on his own. If not, Transmetropolitan would definitely be more appropriate than Preacher, not just from a violence or foul language perspective, but just on general values and messages.

Yeah it's this. Sorry for the confusion. Looking for suggestions for me not for her.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Although the thought of having to read Arsefaces dialogue out loud is an interesting one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
might be helpful in finding more stuff for your kid

https://twitter.com/michelewells/status/1232744854087618560

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Well I’ve made it through a bunch of comics with my kid and now he wants to read something about warfare.

For reference, he like Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales, which are educational comics about different periods in history. He likes the strategy and technologies of warfare.

I know it’s a long shot, but does anyone have any recommends for comic series with tank warfare or the like? Maybe some (ugh) robotech comics?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gameko posted:

Well I’ve made it through a bunch of comics with my kid and now he wants to read something about warfare.

For reference, he like Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales, which are educational comics about different periods in history. He likes the strategy and technologies of warfare.

I know it’s a long shot, but does anyone have any recommends for comic series with tank warfare or the like? Maybe some (ugh) robotech comics?

How old's the kid?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Gameko posted:

Your kid might like "Cartoon History of the Universe". Not for the tank warfare, but for a light-hearted journey through the history of mankind. It reads like an excited professor guiding you through all of history.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Skwirl posted:

How old's the kid?

He’s 7, young, but smart.

Our current read list is:

Bone
Bunch of iron man comics
Some spider-man comics
Some batman/superman comics
Just a few others, mostly marvel including Thor, Ms. Marvel, Supergirl, Batgirl.

I’ll take anything that appeals to boys. EDIT: Cartoon history seems to appeal to him.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 20, 2020

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gameko posted:

He’s 7, young, but smart.

Our current read list is:

Bone
Bunch of iron man comics
Some spider-man comics
Some batman/superman comics
Just a few others, mostly marvel including Thor, Ms. Marvel, Supergirl, Batgirl.

I’ll take anything that appeals to boys. EDIT: Cartoon history seems to appeal to him.

Usagi!!!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yep

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IDW TMNT.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
After reading the chat thread, I think your kid might like all of Tintin. Just stay away from the extremely-racist Belgian issue.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tintin is a bit wordy so depends on the kid.

I’d recommend Asterix and Lucky Luke, which are a bit more expressive through the art.

In the euro comics space there’s lots of newer stuff like Milo’s World that’s pretty good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Asterix is wayyy more racist than tintin usually is.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shadow of the Batgirl is a very good GN. If you have unlimited, Marvel Adventures Spider-Man is the good stuff.

For indie stuff, you should check out Bandette. Street Angel is also good and they just put out a new compilation, but you may wanna give it a once-over first.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Street Angel rules. It's pretty kid friendly, but maybe not at 7.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Oh man, I think we’re going for Usagi.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gameko posted:

Oh man, I think we’re going for Usagi.

You are in for a treat

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is Event Leviathan a stand alone story, or is it mixed into some larger story?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It stands on its own, but it spins off of Bendis's Superman books, then spins back into them.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

It occurred to me today that by adulthood, Peter Parker should be an accomplished professional photographer with a secret album he can’t show anyone but trusted friends; pictures (that don’t star Spidey) of NYC and life in NYC from angles and perspectives that would difficult/impossible without Spidey powers, like from the top of a skyscraper, or looking straight down off the side of a glass panel building, or a picture of a public basketball court from on top of a hoop.

Are there any stories focusing on his non-Spidey photography, or do I need to get to work writing something called “The Secret Portfolio of Peter Parker”? Also has Spidey ever taught the audience or an audience stand-in how to get into amateur photography explaining things like white balance and rule of thirds and lenses?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You should be making this comic ASAP.

It'd be cool if one could actually get those photographs (drones?), too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I can't recall any writers getting too deeply into the actual business of photography. Closest I recall is in the 90s when Parker published a coffee-table book of his Spider-Man photos.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

FAT BATMAN posted:

It occurred to me today that by adulthood, Peter Parker should be an accomplished professional photographer with a secret album he can’t show anyone but trusted friends; pictures (that don’t star Spidey) of NYC and life in NYC from angles and perspectives that would difficult/impossible without Spidey powers, like from the top of a skyscraper, or looking straight down off the side of a glass panel building, or a picture of a public basketball court from on top of a hoop.

Are there any stories focusing on his non-Spidey photography, or do I need to get to work writing something called “The Secret Portfolio of Peter Parker”? Also has Spidey ever taught the audience or an audience stand-in how to get into amateur photography explaining things like white balance and rule of thirds and lenses?

This sounds amazing. The closest I could think of similarly was the already mentioned book of Spidey photos, "Webs." There was a cover for Web of Spider-Man that was one of the first photo covers- it had an actor in a Spidey costume, an early version of the cosplay covers Marvel has been running.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Looking for more inspiration for a Masks RPG I'm going to run. So young superheroes, lots of drama, secret identities etc.

I'm a lapsed reader - last 2 real big books I subscribed to were Invincible until it finished (amazing book) and Giant Days. I also recently reread the entire Bendis USM run (to it's very disappointing conclusion).

I did the original run of Runaways back in the day (and watched the show). Just finished blasting through the entirety of the Young Justice show (I read the book back in the day too). Watched a bunch of Titans, and read some old school Titans back in the day. I've done Ms Marvel. Enjoyed Spider-verse movie, and everything in the MCU. I did a little bit of Young Avengers back when it was brand new (Wiccan, Hulkling, Kid Iron-man/Kang), but haven't kept up. I did the Kyle Rayner (Ron Marz) line, and did at least a decent chunk of the big crossover with all the coloured rings.

On my to watch list I've got the DC Crisis since I eventually dropped all the individual shows, The Marvel Rising stuff, and Umbrella Academy. I'm not the world's biggest X-men fan, but if something is really worthwhile I can check it out.

I'm picking up Fraction's Hawkeye Bundle on Comixology right now (and I think the MARVEL2020 B1G1F deal would apply if there was another big Marvel bundle to grab...). Any other books I should pick up or shows to check out?

This is what Masks lists as inspirations -
code:
MASKS also comes from a long tradition of young superhero stories. Here’re a
few worth checking out to get an idea of the style and themes of MASKS:
• YOUNG JUSTICE (cartoon TV show created by Brandon Vietti and Greg
Weisman)
• YOUNG AVENGERS (Volume 1, by Allan Heinberg and Jim Cheung, and
Volume 2, by Kieron Gillen and James McKelvie)
• AVENGERS ACADEMY (by Christos Gage and Mike McKone)
• RUNAWAYS (by Brian K. Vaughn and Adrian Alphona)
• TEEN TITANS (the original Cartoon Network show, as well as the original
Marv Wolfman comics, and the Geoff Johns issues)
• MS. MARVEL (by G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona)
• WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN (by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I know you're indifferent to the X-Men, but Wolverine and the X-Men is a really fun series. I avoided reading it for a long time because I was 100% wrong about what the tone would be.

Miles Morales: Spider-Man is fun. Any MM series would have the right vibe, I think.

The Fraction Hawkeye is great, of course; you could look for other Kate Bishop books. I liked the Kelly Thompson series a lot. Speaking of Kelly Thompson, West Coast Avengers wasn't a perfect series, but it'd be relevant for you.