Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The current GoTG is pretty good. Nova is also supposed to be good, but I haven't read it since the Now relaunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

Also is JMS universally bad or just bad on certain runs?

He's great when he's doing his own stuff but he's pretty much always bad doing existing characters.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

irlZaphod posted:

That's really not true, Supreme Power was really good, and the first half or so of his Spider-Man is really good too (although some people don't like the Spider-totem stuff, whatevs). His FF was...ok? I forget how much of it I read. Although it does have that really horrible stuff with Reed during Civil War. I think I dropped it around that point.

I love Supreme Power but I'd consider that his own work

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Zaphod should really put this in the OP. It already gets asked for like twice a month and when Guardians comes out it's only going to get asked more

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Soule writing everything right now, are there five different people named Charlie Soule, or is he just some kind of fixer?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Boys was pretty typical of Ennis' stuff, although definitely some of his best. You might want to look into stuff like Preacher and Hitman

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I remember as a kid reading some of Dad's old collections of The Phantom and I've always had a little soft spot for the character just from the half-remembered nostalgia that provides. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start/good runs to look for? I don't know if I'm willing to take a shot from the beginning, that's one hell of a lot of comics.

If you have archives check out some of the Newspaper comic threads. The daily Phantom is awesome, and in the last thread that just closed they ran some of the early stories

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 11, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Franchescanado posted:

I've been playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions lately, and I was wondering if any of the Spider-Man 2099 runs were good and if Spider-Man Noir is any good?

2099 actually still holds up pretty well and is worth checking out. For Noir the first one is really good, but the second's quite a bit weaker.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Ennis max run is the best hands down. Remender's is also good, if you're into weird stuff

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just read Spider Island and most of the tie ins a few months back and Lurdiak pretty much nailed it. It's nothing great, but as far as big Marvel crossover events go it's not awful.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

Ugh. What is Jeph Loeb's deal?

He's 13 years old. He thinks shock is good enough and doesn't need a good story to accompany it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If a fella likes John Ostrander's Spectre run a bunch (read the first trade that DC did a while back collecting 1-12, and if they stop halfway through, I will gouge eyes and stuff) and Deadman, what should he read next?

Also, are there any great Deadman comics? I know he's in Kingdom Come and some other event books....

Ostrander's Suicide Squad is pretty great.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barristicide posted:

Can someone point me towards some quality Doop comics? I don't know if I need every last appearance or just the highlights but it seems like there's some serious fun that I've been missing. (I've seen the recent All-New Doop)

Wolverine and The X-Men and X Statix

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not really his story but he has some good moments in Remender's Secret Avengers, which you should read anyways

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You'll probably like Astro City too, or really any of Busiek's stuff. His wheelhouse is humanizing the whole superhero experience.

Gotham Central, too

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

10 might be a little too young but I'd recommend Locke and Key anyways

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's a TPB out with some of Moore's best DC work, I would recommend it

http://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-Stories-Alan-Moore/dp/1401209270/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406980524&sr=8-1&keywords=Alan+Moore+DC

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Anything to support my favorite ORIGINAL WRITER financially!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SlothBear posted:

It doesn't matter what genre you're into, you should read rat queens. It's dirt cheap on comixology and extremely worth it.

On a related note, what comics should one be looking into if one really likes Rat Queens?

Get the older D&D one. And Demon Knights

V--- Yeah that one

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 4, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

redbackground posted:

I just want to reiterate just how amazing Born Again is. A big part of the story is Matt Murdock rising above all and cementing himself as an ultimate badass (those last pages, man).

The one page where the Avengers show up is still my favorite description of Cap

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Metal Loaf posted:

Is that the bit where Cap decries wealth inequality in America, or am I thinking of something different? If so, I wonder what Miller thinks of it now?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you can find Aztek it will clear up a few things

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It comes up a lot in Brubaker's run, which you should read anyways

Basically if the question is ever "Is there a Cap run that [DOES GOOD THING]" the answer is going to be the Bru run

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 30, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm finally reading through Alpha Flight and I was going to skip vol 1 due to the size of it, and I just can never get into old comics, but I figured I'd read the first bit for all the origins and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. I'm almost done Bryne's run though and I've heard Mantlo's is mediocre-bad, woudl anyone recommend it or should I just jump to vol2 after Bryne?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you like Rising Stars you'll like most of JMS' work. Check out Supreme Power

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

His OC stuff, I mean, read his OC stuff!

(Supreme Power totally counts)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

xenilk posted:

Thanks guys!! :)

Edit: what is OC ?

Original character. Basically JMS is really great when he's working on a new idea, but he gets some very very mixed results when using established characters, like the very bad Superman run he did or the sometimes pretty good/sometimes oh my god no Osborn why Spider-Man run.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Big Centipede posted:

After looking at the badass panels thread im interested in Thunderbolts. Where should I start?

Charles Soule run

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Earth X but it's more of a What If than anything

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hakkesshu posted:

Is the Ultimate version any good?

Oh god no. Ultimates 3 is probably the worst part of the ultimate universe as a whole.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah, vol 1 and 2 are top tier, enjoyment of the rest depends heavily on how much you know about obscure golden age UK comic strips

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

redbackground posted:

Uncanny X-Force (Rick Remender): Things start off really bad, and only get worse (for the characters, not the reader). Grab the omnibus that came out and dive on in.

I just read this last month and holy poo poo, this is some of the best work I have ever read as far as standard cape books go. I'd put it in the same area as Hickman's FF

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Castor Poe posted:

Thanks guys, much appreciated. What's the general consensus on Emperor Joker, Loeb's Batman/Superman and Grant Morrison's JLA?

For JLA try to track down Aztek, too. It'll make the ending make more sense.

Also make sure you get Earth 2. It was separate from the trades I had and it's one of my favorite storylines

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

crondaily posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that All-Star Superman feels really spaced out?

Like compared to Long Halloween it feels like it's all over the place rather than happening in order.

That really only seems like a problem if you insist on your stories being linear

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I would also say Godhunter and Annihilation (including the Thanos mini before it)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean how does your mind not go straight to Ennis with that description?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Seven Soldiers is really the only thing that it leads into directly, and even then not all that much. Definitely do not read Countdown.

And if you don't get the trade make sure you pick up Superman Beyond 3D so the ending makes sense

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Gambit solo from a year or two back and Scarlet Spider from the same time frame would be good fits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Taking a shot as someone who doesn't read a lot of comic books, I am looking for two different things: gritty cyberpunk comics that sort of channel the feeling of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Alien. I am a big fan of the work of Tsutomu Nihei who does a really good job of giving the feeling of an isolated protagonist trapped in an overwhelming and hostile environment.

Frank miller's Ronin