Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

One Tall Fellow posted:

I recently starting getting back into the various Marvel X-books for the first time since '97 or thereabout, and I've gotten some good pointers on some of the other titles, but was wondering specifically about where a good place to start with Excalibur might be/if there are any exceptional runs to check out.
There are 3 good Excalibur runs: Claremont/Davis, Alan Davis (writer & artist), & Ellis/Various Artists.

C/D: Excalibur: The Sword is Drawn, Excalibur 1-11, Mojo Mayhem, 12-34 (there are a smattering of fill-in issues not by Claremont you can handily skip)

Davis: Excal 42-67 (again, a few fill-ins, if it's not written by Davis, skip) (this is one of the best-loving-looking runs of comics ever)

Ellis: 83-86, X-Calibre 1-4, 87-94, X-Man 12, 95-103, Pryde & Wisdom 1-3

I think all of this has been collected in trades, but they might be out of print or hard to find these days. I gave specifics if you go digital, and if they're available.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Maremidon posted:

Hey as someone who's just getting back into comics and hasn't really checked anything out since he was ten, what are the really good Marvel series that don't have too much continuity going on? I just checked out the first issue of Moon Knight and Magneto, and I'm interested in what else I might follow.
Lurdiak is correct with Hawkeye--it gets rec'd all the time, but that's because it's pretty great.

A new Punisher run just started that people seem to be enjoying.

A new Ghost Rider starts soon, which looks pretty boss.

Jason Aaron's Thor run is a bit further in, but man, is it awesome.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hubbardologist posted:

Bit of an odd request here; are there any comics from and/or about life in the Middle East?
Animal option: Brian K. Vaughan's Pride of Baghdad

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Are there any DC Crossovers from the 80s/90s worth reading? I've only read Identity/Infinite/Final Crisis. (Oh, and DC 1mil)
I still like Legends a whole lot--and yes, there are a million tie-ins, but you only really need to read the main issues. Turns out that John Ostrander knows how to write a good story!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I like Cosmic Odyssey, but that could be just the Mike Mignola art.
Oh, I do to! I don't really consider it a crossover, though. It's just the 4 issues of itself. Definitely worth reading!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 11, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

sleepingbuddha posted:

Anything I should read before I start Remender's Uncanny X-Force?

Nope.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Saeku posted:

I'm just getting into superhero comics. The ones I like most have a surreal/trippy side -- read pretty much everything by Peter Milligan and Grant Morrison and recently enjoyed the New 52 Animal Man and Dial H. Shade: the Changing Man is the perfect example of the kind of thing I want. Any recs in the same vein?
Matt Fraction's Casanova?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Baby Broomer posted:

I have always wanted to read The Flash, so what're the recommended Flash runs? I'm willing to read really old comics, in fact I love them, so please feel free to recommend some 50's stories if they're any good.

Also, I'm almost through Ennis' Punisher Max. What are the best Ennis books? I ask because I've heard a lot of horror stories. If it helps, I hated the Boys and that book alone almost put me off Ennis forever until I started reading his Hellblazer run.

Mark Waid's big-rear end run on the Flash is very well regarded. I once had a plan to bind his entire tenure on the title since DC didn't look like they were going to (and still doesn't), but I eventually chose not to, but I do have this checklist lying about that has it all in reading order.

The best Ennis books IMO are: Punisher Max (inc. Born, Barracuda, and From First to Last), Fury Max (the 2012 version), his Hellblazer run, and Hitman (talk about nailing the landing).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 1, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Since everything's coming up Deathlok these days, how good is the Dwayne McDuffie solo series from the early 90s? Do I want to bother tracking down cheap back issues?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

I've been playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions lately, and I was wondering if any of the Spider-Man 2099 runs were good
Peter David wrote the entirety of the series (with the exception of the last two issues, but at that point, things had gone to hell behind the scenes). The first half (through #25) is the strongest; having Rick Leonardi on art for that whole chunk didn't hurt either. They both also worked on a prestige one-shot called Spider-Man 2099 Meets Spider-Man which is a great solo story.

A new SM2099 series is just about to start, also written by PAD.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 8, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I am usually someone who follows writers more than artists, but I'm reading Planetary and between that and find memories of the Whedon/Cassaday Astonishing X-men I want more Cassaday in my life. Writer doesn't matter that much, but you know all those people who won't read a book no matter how good the writer is if Greg Land is on it. Imagine the opposite.
This coming from a big Cassaday fan--you've already hit his best. His work on I Am Legion is pretty solid, I guess, but the story was a total snoozer. His covers for Superman Grounded were laughable and his work on Uncanny Avengers was unremarkable. If you're looking for a decent deep cut, find a copy of his Teen Titans Annual 1 from 1997, a "Pulp Heroes" standalone. Also, I've never read it, but you could give Desperadoes a try.

edit: poo poo, he did an X-Men/Alpha Flight 2-parter I never knew about.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 25, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Is the Paul Cornell "Black Ring" run on Action Comics worth checking out?
It is! He hasn't written anything better (or as good) since, sadly.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 25, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Punisher recommendations? Preferably stuff not "drawn" by Ariel Olavetti.
Punisher Max by Garth Ennis (Born, 1-60, Barracuda, From First to Last)
PunisherMAX by Jason Aaron (1-22)
and
The Punisher: G-Force, which has the best cover of all time.

Marvel Universe vs. The Punisher is pretty fun, too. There's a good sequel, too (vs. Wolverine).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 2, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I've been reading over some of the Stan Lee era X-Men stuff from those Essentials and maybe I'm just not as emotionally invested in the characters as, say, Spider-Man. Is there any point that this stuff is worth reading and it gets actually good with a plot?
Nope!

Stan Lee X-Men is pretty skippable, sadly. Hell, starting at #67, it just fell into reprints because nobody gave a poo poo about it until Giant Size #1.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 8, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hadji murad posted:

Appears it isn't. They had me at James Robinson too.
The Robinson/Casey/Ladronn run on Cable is exactly what I would have recommended as well--it's the best Cable you're ever going to get. They're also some of the most gorgeous comics out there, period.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

horsepeen posted:

is the New 52 version any good?
Ha ha!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Which Ultimate Marvel minis/one shots are worth it? I already know the Iron Man OSC one is garbage.
Spider-Men was pretty fantastic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I mostly just interested in more humorous books from Marvel or stuff like What If. I already bought Nextwave and the new Ms Marvel book from Comixology, so I am a bit at else to read from Marvel Unlimited.
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

So what run should I read as someone completely new to comic books? Just pick one and go? As of now I'm going to read the original run of Deadpool, for pretty much no reason other than I know of that character. Any better suggestions?
More info would be handy--do you tend to like sci-fi, comedy, western, drama, space epics, alternate universes, horror, etc?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

Can anyone recommend a modern Thor reading list? The OP recommends Thor, vol. 3 by JMS and The Mighty Thor by Fraction, but I've also heard things (good? bad? can't remember) about Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery and Kid Loki stuff.
Just dive into the first few trades of THOR GOD OF THUNDER by Jason Aaron. It's one of the best run of comics anywhere. It's got the death of all gods, sharks as weapons, ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD
SLICER OF WORLDS, a room full of mead, and Thor dual-wielding Mjölnirs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If a fella likes John Ostrander's Spectre run a bunch (read the first trade that DC did a while back collecting 1-12, and if they stop halfway through, I will gouge eyes and stuff) and Deadman, what should he read next?
DC recently re-released his fantastic 4-part Deadshot miniseries as a trade, so that should be easy to find.

Suicide Squad is a stone-cold classic of course. There's the one trade, and cheap back issues are easy to find online. (I made a 3 volume hardcover set out of them!)

He wrote a pretty great Heroes for Hire run in the 90s--again, back issues only.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the DC animated Spectre short with Gary Cole--it's kind of awesome.

He and Tom Mandrake also worked together on a Martian Manhunter series--seems like a natural next stop.

This link may help you as well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 23, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cerepol posted:

Is there a good recommended reading order for Age of Apocalypse? Got the bundle on sale at comixology but they just toss in all 51 issues and said go with not guidance. Not sure how what's the reading order, also slightly complicated by the fact that there was an original event, then stuff released later which ties into it.
X-Men Alpha
The 1st issue of each series (Generation Next, Astonishing X-Men, X-Calibre, Gambit and the X-Ternals, Weapon X, Amazing X-Men, Factor X, X-Man)
The 2nd issue of each series
The 3rd issue of each series
The 4th issue of each series
X-Men Omega

(More in-depth info than you could possibly want about the AoA reading order.)

You could also start with the Legion Quest storyline, which kicks AoA off.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 29, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Capn Jobe posted:

And then somehow I get Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis' names mixed up in my head, and came across Ministry of Space. I'm probably going to do that next, but if anyone else has any sort of old-timey sci-fi ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Ellis has a bunch of that:
Orbital: A long-presumed missing space shuttle suddenly reappears and crashes back on Earth, but uh, covered with skin. And the entire crew is missing, save one.

Ocean: 100 years from now, Something Mysterious is occurring on Europa!

All of Planetary. ALL OF IT.

Secret Avengers (#16-21): Run the Mission, Don't Get Seen, Save the World. Has one of the best time-travel stories I've ever read.

Global Frequency: There is an organization of 1001 people from across the globe, each an expert in a specialized field. Today may be the day they're called upon to do the impossible. It might even be you!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mimir posted:

I don't even know how you talk about classic Ellis sci-fi without mentioning Transmetropolitan. It's not as polished as some of his later stuff (Planetary), but it's also more than 5 or 6 loving issues.
Never read it. :shrug:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

It's not really his story but he has some good moments in Remender's Secret Avengers, which you should read anyways
That's what I was going to say.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MH Knights posted:

In the funny panels thread I saw some Power Girl panels that looked interesting. If I wanted to get the whole run Power Girl: Power Trip would be the collection to get right?
Yup.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

This is an extremely broad question but:

Last week I got the Planetary omni and this week I got the Sleeper omnibus. I was wondering what other good omnibus collections are out there? I like indie superheroish stuff like the two I mentioned, I'm not really interested in slice of life or whatever books. So good omnibuses that collect 20+ or so issues of really quality, complete runs is what I'm after.
There's a Morrison Doom Patrol omnibus coming out soon you should definitely look into.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

friendo55 posted:

I'm about a year or so into reading comics and looking for a new non-superhero series to get into that's just recently started up [I'm thinking Warren Ellis' Trees?] or especially one that's upcoming.

Right now I'm loving BKV's Saga and anything from Brubaker (catching up on Criminal and reading Velvet). Basically I'm requesting anything that's new and exciting and wasn't sure where to go or how to narrow it all down. With Saga and Velvet it's been much more enjoyable reading month-to-month versus TPB.
Can I recommend East of West again? Cuz I'm doin' it and you can't stop me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I like nice long runs I can read a few issues of before bed every couple of days.
Walt Simonson's Thor

Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol

Grant Morrison's BatSaga

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

Ennis' Punisher Max

Exiles up until Claremont takes over

Hellboy/BPRD

JLA (Morrison->Waid->Kelly)/ JLElite (Kelly)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has Marvel done anything comparable to DC's Gotham Central?

So if there's something fairly street level, grounded in reality and not terribly eyerolling, I'd be curious. I read a little of the 2006 Moon Knight and it was probably the upper limit I could handle on eyerolling stuff. I saw just a tiny bit in the forums of what I guess is the new run and it looked kinda cool? It doesn't have to be Batman or "Marvel Presents Psychotic Batman in White." I'm also into con artists, politics, spies, conspiracies, assassins, terrorists, heists -- just stuff that adds a bit of the fantastical to reality rather than time-traveling robot demons.
Bendis' Daredevil
Fraction's Hawkeye
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Miller's Daredevil: Born Again
Ennis' Punisher: Born

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 7, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Borrowed some of that Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run from my buddy and it's great. My only disappointment is knowing there's probably not a lot about the internal world of Vanessa Fisk. You could make a pretty great movie out of that stuff and thus far she's only had a few pages.
Jason Aaron had a standalone run of PunisherMax after Ennis finished up, and Vanessa Fisk plays a pretty big role there. (MAX is a different universe/whatever, so it's a different V. Fisk, but still.)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 7, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Parker by Darwyn Cooke
Those Parker hardcover standalones are Pretty Awesome.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

crondaily posted:

Is Batman: The Gauntlet and Robin: Year One worth reading or should I just move onto the Killing Joke? I just finished Year One->The Man Who Laughs->Long Halloween->Dark Victory
Robin Year One is fantastic.

The Gauntlet is pretty spiffy too, IIR, but RobinY1 is really, really good.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

UncleSmoothie posted:

I'm trying desperately to remember the name of a comic, help me out?

It was a book from the 90s originally, with a weird writer. It was a small-label book, maybe it was on Image or Valiant or something. It was a fantasy/sci-fi book with a title character who was vaguely super-powered but mostly just smart and clever.

It was just rebooted in the last couple of years under the same title. Lots of really great art and self-contained stories from issue to issue. At least when I was reading it, there wasn't any over-arching plot. Weird SF stories in a far future, distant galaxy with lots of strange aliens. There was a sentient tree sidekick at some point.

Any help? I want to get back into this book (if it's still running) but I cannot remember the name for the life of me and I'm away from my collection right now.
Yah, that screams Prophet.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

Now we all know the current Wonder Woman run is great, but are there any runs prior to this that are also worthwhile?
Perez' is a stone-cold classic; Messner-Loebs took her in a very different direction, away from All Greek Gods, All The Time, and had her working in a fast food joint (and going into spaaaaace), which I kind of love; Nothing about Bryne's run has interested me personally, art- or story-wise; I quite like what I've seen of Eric Luke's run--Yanick Paquette was on art for a good chunk of it, and I liked her mixing it up with Indian or Hindu (not sure!) gods. Devestation was a good foil/antagonist, too; Jimenez did a large chunk of writing and illustrating after that, and it's some beautiful comics. It got choppy near the end because he was never sure when his time was going to be up, and he got sucked into a few crossovers as well; Rucka's, as mentioned, is pretty great all around, and there are some pretty powerful moments. That's all I know!

I actually just got a bunch of the Perez and Rucka back issues in the mail today from a CCL store.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 25, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

unlimited shrimp posted:

Are there any sci-fi comics that capture a pulpy Heavy Metal/Captain Sternn-type feel?

Like 2000AD but in space.
Fear Agent?

I haven't read any, but Black Science (also by Remender) would probably work, too.

Oh, Fearless Dawn In Outer Space fits your description pretty well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 29, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Now for a question: are the Aliens and Predator comics any good and are they collected anywhere?
Dark Horse has many many Aliens, Predator, and Aliens & Predator omniboo.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'll check Born Again. I actually don't want flagellation and that was a big turnoff for much of the Bendis run.
I just want to reiterate how amazing Born Again is. A big part of the story is Matt Murdock rising above all and cementing himself as an ultimate badass (those last pages, man).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 7, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tell me of Adam Hughes' Ghost. Good? Not good?
Not capital-G great, but not bad at all, either. Find the first DH Ghost omnibus cheap and go for it.

(He only illustrated the first 3 issues, fyi.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This isn't a comic, but you ever play The Secret World? I ask 'cause it's often among the best writing I've seen in games and it had no business being wasted on a drat MMO. Anything worth reading that has a setting like that? It's a modern setting with hidden magic and intrigue. Everything from New England towns grappling with the Cthulhu mythos, old witch stories and Indian legends to massive multinationals digging up ancient tombs of apostate pharaohs engaged in the cult worship of a a mind-warping black contagious ooze. Throw in secret society lore, government conspiracies, etc. for flavor.

Anything that would hit me on that kind of level? Like crazy esoteric poo poo in an otherwise grounded world. The more intrigue or skullduggery the better.
Maaaaaybe Global Frequency?