Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I read The Boys and thought it was fantastic. Probably the best comic series I've ever read. I grabbed the first volume of Preacher as that seemed like a natural spot to go next.

What else is up there with The Boys in terms of quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Selachian posted:

I'm not an Ennis fan myself, but I think you'll like Hitman if you liked The Boys.

Another possibility is Marshal Law, which is superhero satire like The Boys, although broader and more cartoonishly violent.

Thanks. The superhero part of the boys isn't what really got me, though. I'm glad I had some background so I knew what was being lampooned. It's really just the fact that the story was written explicitly for adults who had some idea of life outside the superhero genre, especially in regards to politics. That plus the relatively developed characters.

FWIW, other comics that I had previously read that really stuck out as being something above the norm were Shadowman when it was done by Bob Hall? and Justice League America/Europe during the early 90s resurgence w/ Guy Gardner and Blue Beetle and all that. Oh, and the Peter David Hulk run was really good.

Obviously, I picked up the TB after watching the show. I was curious what the source material would be like and was fairly blown away by just how hosed up it was in comparison, basically constantly. It's funny, nearly everything about the show, IMO, pales in comparison with the comic. I can't stand Butcher on the show but in the comic I liked him up until the finale storyline.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I don't like him on the show. Is that so hard to believe? A character that goes out of his way to be unlikable has people who don't like him.